Masters Running

Friday Runs and Funs (Read 444 times)

Tramps

Where is everyone?  I couldn't wait any longer....

5.2 miles @ 9:18.

Aamos--I saw those temps you're having.  I'll be visiting later today.  Don't worry; couch is fine.

Be safe. Be kind.

King of PhotoShop

Today is my one year anniversary!  I've been looking back over the year to consider what I've accomplished so far, and the highlights are:

--I'm running about 30-35 miles per week, not great, but about all I can do right now.

--I've run 5-6 races, including a half, and have gotten my fiveK time down to a 7:57 mile.  Still working on it and expect it to come down a lot in the fall.

--Ran a 52.6 mile week, and will probably have 50+ this week too.

--Ran a 20 miler, not because I was training for anything, but just to see if I could, and that worked out okay.

--Other than an occasional muscle pain here and there, I have had no significant injuries since coming back.  I do flexibility and core work faithfully.

--Am signed up to run Hood to Coast end of August.  Should be fun, and I was flattered to be invited.

So this year has been kind of a recovery, and I am hoping that next year I can build on it for better race performance.  It's all new to me of course, so time will tell.  Spareribs

Congrats, Ribs, on your recovery year.
        Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
        Teresadfp

One day at a time

WOW, Ribs.  Just wow!  My goal is to do as much as you have done this year!!

I ran only 2 miles this morning as a warmup for tomorrow's 10K run (boy, am I getting nervous for some reason).  The original plan was to do a bit more.  But then there was a quiz on the radio talk show I was listening to ("What do 54% of Americans say they are most afraid of?").  I knew the answer, and all the people calling in didn't!  So I figured I'd be too late, but I ran home to call in.  Yep, I was too late.  Scroll down to find out the answer.

Public speaking.

My Goals for the next year are to do whatever Ribs has been able to do in the last year - except that pesky surgery part.

I got up early and went to the gym with the intention of swimming a mile or so. But all the laps were full at 5:20 AM. Ugh. Must be tri-season approaching. So I turned around and went home. Unplanned rest day.

DW and I have had a five year plan to get to retirement for a while now. Unfortunately with the market crash, housing crunch, and the govt bleeding money like it's water we're still looking at a five year plan. And now with layoffs, merges, cutbacks, etc. I'm trying to keep my head above water while doing the work that 4 people used to do. A lot is falling through the cracks.

As someone noted yesterday, I am so ready to retire ... sigh.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Slo

I love public speaking.......And I've been told several times that I have a great voice for broadcasting.

Not much to add to my log this morning. After a great swim at the outdoor public pool last night I slept in this morning.......and it felt oh so good !

I'm feeling really strong........I hope I can translate that into a great race tomorrow ! (Sprint Tri)  Good Luck on your 10k DG.  I love that distance.......glide the first half and hammer the 2nd.  10k is a great distance for me because it's long enough that I know I can't go all out.......then when you hit the 4 mile mark and your passing people it seems that you find that extra boost and start picking them off........spot your target, cast, set the hook and reel  them in !

It's finally Friday. Happy running All !

MTA.......Congrats Ribs......I wasn't here a year ago but I really enjoy your presence and wisdom on these forums.

Tramps

Congratulations, Ribs.  It's been amazing to follow your recovery.  Your systematic approach and positive attitude about this life-changing event is a great reminder for us all about how to deal with challenges--physical and otherwise--that inevitably come our way. 

Of course, having The Saint around everyday had to help quite a bit, too.

Be safe. Be kind.

Congratulations and Happy Heart-aversary to Spareribs!

You've had an amazing year with lots of new thresholds and accomplishments. You'll no doubt reach new goals in this next year. Yeesh....why do you think I am training so hard! I can still hear the footsteps.

Ribs your recovery has been nothing short of amazing.  May this be the first of many such anniversaries of your past surgery.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Congratulations, Ribs, on a spectacular recovery. Maybe they slipped something bionic in there while they were at it?

I had one of those super strong-feeling runs this morning, although I stuck to my plan for doing just 4 miles. An unusually quick 1st mile was followed by negative splits for the next three, which was pretty good in the rising H&H. I have a long path-trail-road combo planned for Sunday morning and am well-prepared for it (I think). Not too early to start thinking about the Crim 10-miler on 22 August (predicted to be the hottest day of the summer).

Good luck to the weekend racers, and of course all the rest of you as well.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #957

Congratulations, Ribs.  Your approach to your surgery and recovery has taught us all a lot.

5 recovery miles for me this morning (ave 10:16) in light rain. 

Much busy-ness today and tonight as I get the kids and myself packed for our 1-week trip to Huntington Beach, California – a combined vacation and visit-to-DH’s-relatives.  (DH does his own packing.)  I’m hoping to get some running in, but family activities come first, so I’ll play it by ear. 

Good luck to the racers this weekend!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Missed my opportunity to run this morning.  Thermometer said 63F, woohoo!, but I was catching up on sleep.

The heat wave is finally over.  They said Bellevue hit 100 and Redmond 106 on Wednesday.  My backyard thermometer read 114 at one point, mind you it gets a ton of radiant heat from the concrete patio and window, but the sun was NOT shining directly on it when it hit 114.  I banned the TV and computer for three days as to not make it any hotter inside.  I had to continually get in a tub of cold water to cool down.  I felt like a prisoner in my own house as the temperature rose to 89 inside with high humidity by dinner time.  DH thought 100F outside felt cooler, but I don't know.  It was BRUTAL.  I felt sick.  We have no A/C.  It seems I have lost my ability to sweat after not running much the past 4 months, so it was an awful awful 7hours that day until we finally escaped to the closest mall.  Everyone was there - it was like a refuge camp.  Especially a lot of families with young children and the eldery.  It cooled down to about 90F outside by 10:30pm.  Kids loved getting to stay up so late.

Ok, I hope to get out for a run tomorrow morning and look forward to some normalcy.

Very impressive year Ribs.  I think you surpassed everyone's expectations.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Good Morning (it still is, here, and lovely indeed!)

Tramps, it would be a pleasure!  Bring some good eastcoast seafood on dry ice and we'll grill it up for you, take you for a run on the Mickelson Trail, and visit Spearfish Canyon, the Badlands, Custer State Park, where the buffalo really do roam, even in front of your car!    .........................only this week, there's one drawback.  The bikers are coming, the bikers are coming, o no!  they're here    First week in August is Sturgis Rally time.  Too many chubby boomers on too-big HArleys getting way too drunk and listening to way too old music way too loud.

Ribs, heartiest congratulations!   You've made an amazing recovery, no false modesty; be very proud of where you're at.  We'll be happy to roast you next year in the Twin Cities.

DOug, speaking of, since we have to run a 10 miler in October, what's a good strategy for a 10 mile race?  We have a 10.4 mile run here every summer, but strategy there is dictated by the course, which is very up hill at the start and then downhill towards the end.  I've only run one other 10 mile-ish distance, at Tampa Bay in the Gasparilla, and I think I started too slow, then chased down Stevie Ray and maintained his pace. 

Beel and Teresa, it's funny, while on one hand, I often think I want to retire, on the other, I think it is the thing I fear most (it would be sort of awful to be a public defender and fear public speaking) is retirement.  HAving worked since well, let's just say for decades, I really wonder how I'll adjust to it.  I would be happy to downsize my job, I think, and keep working, but at a slower pace.   Or at least that's what I think.

Holly, again, happy times to you all in the week ahead. 

grins, and happy weekend!

A

Masters 2000 miles
                            Teresadfp

One day at a time

Aamos, I know what you mean about retiring!  Years ago, friends of ours tried to get us to get into Amway.  Their main sales pitch was, "You can retire early!"  We just looked at them and said, "We don't WANT to retire early!  We like engineering!"  My dad is still a full-time professor at 72.  He keeps extending the date when he wants to stop!  He will probably be able to continue consulting work when he stops teaching, at least.

Marathon Maniac #957

Enke - that is unbelievably hot, for your neck of the woods, especially - hope it breaks soon for you.

Aamos - thanks!

Boston Marathon 2010 - anyone looking for accomodations - I just got $99/night for 3 nights at a Best Western Suites (1.5 miles from finish line) through hotwire.com - quite a bargain if you're looking for one.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."