Masters Running

Sun Aug 23 Runs and Workouts (Read 338 times)

Got out early and ran long on the Charles.  Well I meant to run long but cut it to 13.5 -- that was enough for today.

13.6 miles, 2:09:03, 9:30/mi, AHR 145 (74% MHR)

Thought you might like to see some more baby pictures: http://www.pbase.com/lking/babynate

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

What a beautiful little boy, Lou!  I did my longest run since my half marathon last May. Out for 10.5 miles in perfect running conditions this morning. It was 47° and no wind when I took off at 6:00. Only needed one walk break and did the route at a 10:12 pace.

Some sad news at my house. John Doe, my goldfish passed away yesterday at the ripe old age of 3. That's the longest I've had a fish for quite a while. He received a "royal flush" funeral. Off today to buy John Doe II. It's easier to remember their names if they don't live very long!

Have a good day, good people.

Tramps

10-mile race for me on a challenging local course in 1:20:36 (8:04 pace).  This annual hilly, hot, and humid race is the only 10-mile course I’ve ever run so even though I got a small PR, the pace is still slower than my marathon PR!  100% humidity but starting temp was about 70F, lower than in past years, which helped a lot.  I ran pretty hard (164/89% HRR) but managed my energy well, so I was satisfied with this one.  It concludes a cut-back week and kicks off a return to some regular speed work.

Be safe. Be kind.

spacityrunner

Lou and Harriet, what a beautiful baby...thanks for sharing this event with us

Jlynne..hope John Doe II gives you many years of pleasure...or months...  3 years for a goldfishy...thats pretty good in my book!

Out at 6 a.m.  Had a bit of help waking up this morning as our fire alarm went off at 5:15...no fire, rarely is...but that sucker is loud!!  Woke up with a start...assessed the situation, calmed the kittys with treats (should I ever need to evacuate I am training them to understand that with the loud obnoxious scary noise comes treats so they are easier to manage), put my running duds on and got the butt out the door.

4.8 in 55ish...70 w/80% humidity...felt cool and wonderful.  Managed 15 miles this week I still have my energy...this is good. 

ETA:  Nice 10 miler Tramps!!!!

Good runs and good day everyone

Trails Rock!

Slo

Whew......18.53 beautiful miles this morning. 2:28:53 / 8:03 pace.  Splits from this mornings run:

9.1 miles @ 8:22

7.13 miles @ 7:39

2.29 Miles @ 7:57

Amazing what H and H can do to a run. Last week I really struggled thru a 20 miler and it was everything I could do to muster an 8:45 pace with breaks....and the breaks weren't accounted for in the pace.

I did a 4k race yesterday......I really thought I was going to tear it up !.....I obvisously believed that to because I clocked the first mile at a 6:08 pace. It didn't take me long to blow up after that. I finished 14th OA with a 6:44 pace. Very painful race.

Nice racing fellas.

3.1 pokey miles with a walk break and a small 1/4 mile "tempo" @ 9:45. 

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Nice runs Tramps, Slo.

Great pictures of little Nate, Lou...he's a cute kid.

Enjoy your anniversary, Enke.

15.5 rolling miles in 2:21 (9:05's) today.....concluding a very humid, very heavy-legged week for me.

Walt

dg.

good afternoon...

thanks Lou.   I'll look when I get home.

nice running everyone. 

Liz I'll try that treat training on me.   good idea.   ;-)

I'm also finishing a cutback week, but it hasn't quite turned out like I'd hoped...  hamstrings etc. are still a little sore, made my run a little tougher but it was still within the bounds prescribed by my PT meaning it's ok to run.  I hate to have it flaring up again but guess there are ups and downs on this tight rope.  (hee. the downs are the worst).  

10.1 miles, av. pace 10:18, max 9:26. ahr 157, max 165. 

happy Sunday everybody.

Renee the dog

He looks so content - is she breastfeeding? (sorry, guys!)

(and Noel). 

5 mile progression run this morning -- definitely feeling better -- thanks Wildchild!  Splits were 9:37, 9:34, 9:00, 8:48 8:12.  Was happy with that!  Got 5 more base-paced miled teed up for tonight along with a bunch of cross-training.  I'd better go take a nap!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Afternoon, gang!

Lou - of course we want to see more pictures!! That's one beautiful baby!!

Eliz - glad your Mom is getting the help she needs.  My Mom went through something very similar and bounced back miraculously after the steroids and a few weeks of rehab.  She was pretty miserable until they finally diagnosed the problem.  

Evanflein - sorry about the tooth and the root canal, but it sounds like you are handling it well.  

jlynne - wishing John Doe II a long (relatively speaking) swimmingly good life.

Tramps - congrats on the PR -way to go!!

SLO - nice run - I'm totally jealous - send some of that cooler weather my way!

(((((dg's hamstrings))))  - nice run with a great AHR!   DH and I compromised this weekend.  I agreed to do the long run on Sunday, and he agreed to get up at 5:00 while it was still relatively cool (70 degrees and 92% humidity).  Saturday would have been a killer - no clouds, high 70's, no breeze and oppressive humidity.   Today was better than yesterday or last weekend.  Temp was 70 when we started and 79 when finished, but it was mostly overcast (thanks to Hurricane Bill I think).  20 miles @ 10:36 average pace and 163 AHR.

Good runs all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Very nice pics Lou...

Great racing Tramps, well done.

Slo-Hand please quit posting your times, you're making me feel like a slacker

14.5 hilly miles in 2:31 10:25 PACE, felt harder than it should

Enjoy! 

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

King of PhotoShop

Today we had same kind of weather as last Sunday here in N. TX, but instead of a disappointing and slow 12 like last week, I managed a pretty brisk 13 today and felt very fresh at the end.  Last LR before HTC.  Spareribs
                          SteveP

What a good lookin young man..

Try ice cream for your hamstrings DG.

Two 1.5 mile loops with the dog...I had to stop for blackberries on the 2nd loop though.

SteveP

Marathon Maniac #957

WRFB – lovely baby pics.

Jlynne – nice LR.

Tramps – very nice race, especially considering the heat.

Slo_Hand – aren’t ALL races painful?  (well done, btw)

Nono – nice speedy progression run.

Breger – I meant to tell you – awesome progression run Friday, especially in that heat.  I marked that down to try sometime for myself, if I can decide what my 5K pace is.

Erika – I know I have always run in the dark, but up till last year we lived in a well-lit neighborhood, and I just did loops through the residential streets.  When we moved here last year I started running mostly on the river trail but I think last year when it got full dark I mostly went back to the residential streets, running my LRs in loops again.  Trouble is the backstreets aren’t as well lit in this part of town, and the potholes aren’t as easy to see.  Plus, coming back up that long hill home 3 times on a LR really messes with my pace goals.  I love that smooth, flat expanse of the river trail, with no traffic or stoplights to deal with. 

{{{Fatozzig}}}  heck of a 20-mile trail run yesterday!

Cooler temps for today’s LR (56-60°).  Amazing how much better it went in the cooler temps.  The FIRST plan called for 18 miles @ 9:05 today.  I decided to do a wave run instead, aiming at 8:45 and 8:15 for the speedy miles, 9:30 for the miles in between

2 WU miles at a brisk (9:25, 9:15)

then miles # 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13 at

8:43

8:13

8:13

8:16

8:33

(the miles in between at about 9:30 pace)

3 more still-frisky miles at (9:10, 9:04, 9:17)

2 CD miles at (9:56, 9:49)

Total: 18 miles @ 9:05 ave pace  (not counting potty/hydration stops)......Coincidence?

Interesting fueling for this run.  Dinner yesterday was a McDonald’s vanilla cone, 2 large Bud Lights, and a slice of toast.  This morning I fueled with a cup of coffee and 2 S-Caps.  Yet it felt like enough.  Go figure. 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

nono, based on this mornings run, it looks like you got over whatever had you yesterday.  Tramps, nice 10 mile race with PR in spite of hills, heat, and humidity.  SLO, that was a speedy 4K race.

Nice long runs for deez, fatozzig (hard miles on trails), WRFB, jlynne, SLO, Walt, dg (good luck on the tightrope), sue, Sarge, ribs, and Holly.

Yesterday, I survived the Crim 10 miler at just under a 10 minute pace (9:54) which was my goal.  The highlight was meeting runningsmarter for the first time and also seeing roch, DaveinAA, MarkGuy, Dave59, and Marathon Derrick.  The other RA people were smoking fast.  I'm proud to say I know such fast runners.  They're also great people.

This morning, the temperature was in the mid 60s with just a little wind and what's becoming normal humidity.  I got in 5 miles in enough under 50 minutes for a 9:56 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS