Masters Running

Thursdaily, 5.17.18 (Read 34 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Wednesday’s workouts:
    Tramps (6 trail miles, tough on the knee)
    Dave59 (4 sweaty H&H park miles, feeling good)
    Sees-the-Ground (4 EZ hill-free miles)
    Fatozzig (15 min of stat bike + 45 min of core/ST)
    Tomwhite (30 min ARC Trainer)
    Holly (4.6 miles in 67° temps)
    RunnerKSA (half-day snorkeling excursion)
    Surly Bill (4.3 EZ miles)
    Spacityrunner (4 fun miles on West Mtn with the trail gang in a thunderstorm)
    Falconfixer (6.13 pre-sunrise miles at 9:06 pace [mostly in the 8:50s])
    Mike (12 miles with 10 at tempo in 87° and sunny)
    Tet (5 miles in 88° and sunny)
    Evanflein (8.1 nighttime miles in mid-50s temps with wind

As time goes by, I’ve become more and more selective about the news sources and stories I’ll read/watch/listen to. I have less and less tolerance for BS from any and all directions, and of newspeople who intentionally fan whatever flames with the way they report. I could go on and on, but I won’t. You’re welcome.

Sorry about the knee, Tramps. Good on you for knowing when to back off.

Dave, I’m very happy to let some people get the last word in if it makes them go away. I was in an email battle with a town resident last week - I finally ran out of things to say and so just stopped, and (much to my relief) so did she.

Good luck on reaching your 100 mi. goal, STG.

Mr. Mr. looks inscrutable. And very handsome. And I’m sure he appreciated the extra treats.

Good job of conquering the mental game of running, Mike.

Good job of mimicking Mike, Tet.

So I said I'm thinking about Rehoboth Beach in Dec, and almost everyone else says "not me." Was it something I said??

I slept in a little bit (till 4:15) this morning, so I had to shorten my workout a bit to get back in time to do my post-workout routine and still wake up DW on time. So 4.45 RW miles in 48° under overcast skies with negative splits going from a 12:15 warm-up mile to 11:10 as I cruised home. Twas OK for a Thursday.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

Thanks for the links yesterday Tramps. Watching the video about Factfulness made me more likely to get the book some day. I have to finish up some of what I am reading now before I buy more books.

I went to the gym this morning. 2 on the treadmill and then some weights. I ran the 2nd mile at a 9:00 pace and it felt like an all out sprint. My heart rate maxed out and I was sweating hard. I left a trail all over the gym, from machine to machine.  People who go there after me will think some huge slimy slug was loose in the gym this morning. I'm not sure why I'm slowing down so much but I am going to keep working at it.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

KSA - how many streaks have you had?

Is this the longest?

Dave, I’m very happy to let some people get the last word in if it makes them go away. I was in an email battle with a town resident last week - I finally ran out of things to say and so just stopped, and (much to my relief) so did she.

Instead of advancing more argument, I recently seem to have closed out an unnecessary e-mail exchange by saying, “okay, but we’ll be keeping our fingers crossed.”  What’re they gunna say in response? - we’ll keep ours uncrossed?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

My heart rate maxed out and I was sweating hard. I left a trail all over the gym, from machine to machine.  People who go there after me will think some huge slimy slug was loose in the gym this morning.

Jay - I think ALL cats are generally inscrutable.

5.5 miles for me this morning in 62 degrees.

DD's last day of school for the year is next Wednesday, 5/23.  I am hoping to be able to run a couple more miles in the mornings before work since I will not be driving her to school.  Of course, the other temptation will be to sleep in another hour since I don't have to get up to get her to school.  I have become such a slug lately.  

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tammy, congrats on the scholarship(s) for your son!  Certainly nice that his efforts are paying off (literally).  My son got a small award from a college he did not want to go to (of course).  I'm happy though that he chose UBC - my Dad went there for Electrical Engineering back in the 40s during the second world war.  He's now 92 and in a nursing home.  And Tet, yes, it's a nice campus a bit out of the city.  I will just need to get my US citizenship so I can actually leave the US to drive him there.    It's been almost 13 months since I applied and the wait could be another 3 months.  If I had known it was going to take this long, I would have just renewed the dang green card.

Yesterday I was going to work from home and sneak in a trail run.  My boss said I had to physically attend a meeting though.  So I walked the dog, then rode my bike in to work - about 12.8 miles but I will need to wear my Garmin someday to figure that out exactly.  With my laptop in the bike bag, it's a bit of work going up the hills.  After work I rode with MBE to his house, another 4.6 miles.  Then used his car to drive home.  Perhaps tomorrow I will get in a run.  This morning I drove both kids to AP exams.  My daughter has been so stressed about this - her first one.  She is constantly in competition to get the same or better marks than her older brother.

Leslie - cute kitty!

Dave - it felt hard because 1) it was a gym 2) it was a treadmill!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

....YAY enke//..............You Da,,,,er,,,,,,Person...........

===========

76-degrees

40-min bikeride with hills,

single gear.............not shifting gears to make it more difficult

also

what I don't know about bicycles would fill a 2-volume book

..............Good Work-Outs to Ya.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Dave - it felt hard because 1) it was a gym 2) it was a treadmill!

True dat!

I realized I wrote "Enjoy ~" above Mr's pic.  I meant just enjoy things in general, but thanks for the comments on him.  I read them to him and his head has swelled slightly over the last day or so.   He actually meowed at me when he met me at the end of the driveway yesterday, so he must be feeling pretty jazzy.

I had a client send me the follow email this mornings: "hi....wrong email address its [insert email address]    thanks h."  I've sent him a couple of emails over the last two days, including one that had copies of two applications I had prepared.  I reviewed both applications multiple time this morning and the email's correct.  I have no freaking idea what he's talking about. 

5 miles this a.m. in foggy/drizzly conditions.  I was nice a warm with the wind behind my back, but chilled when it was in my face.  When are we going to get more sun??  Anyway, I am, once again, having to work hard on keeping an EZ pace and not constantly pushing things.  A podcast I was listening to as reinforcing the importance of this.  *sigh*  Someday I'll learn . . . .

Okay - Off to the trenches.  Enjoy ~~

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

2.25 walking miles today- deliberate walks and not FitBit steps.  1.25 on the hills from our villa and 1 back and forth in the sand at the beach.  It’s not much, but it’s something.  Butt feels SO much better since I’m not running but I can tell it isn’t at all normal yet.

I can’t begin to tell you how treacherous it is to drive on this island.  You drive on the left side of the road, but the cars are set up like in the states with the steering on the left (not like UK).  The roads are narrow, steep and have switchbacks that you are sure even the Jeep won’t make.  Couple all that with lots of tourists who forget that you drive on the left!  The views are so gorgeous, but the driving takes some serious nerve.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

bioguy

No running today, but one of the most memorable days in my life. My youngest, Sarah, graduated from the University of Maryland School of Medicine. She and her husband (an Ironman triathlete) are moving to Milwaukee where she will begin her residency as an Ob/Gyn at the Wisconsin School of Medicine. Wonderful ceremony then a great time at lunch with friends and family.

Tomorrow I will post a poem read by the keynote speaker that I found quite inspiring.

Till then,

Tailwinds!

Marathon Maniac #957

No running today, but one of the most memorable days in my life. My youngest, Sarah, graduated from the University of Maryland School of Medicine. She and her husband (an Ironman triathlete) are moving to Milwaukee where she will begin her residency as an Ob/Gyn at the Wisconsin School of Medicine. Wonderful ceremony then a great time at lunch with friends and family.

Tomorrow I will post a poem read by the keynote speaker that I found quite inspiring.

Till then,

Tailwinds!

That is awesome!

RunnerKSA - Tell me again which island you are on?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

That is awesome, bioguy!  Congratulations!

tet...you crack me up.

I went 7 miles, today.

Okay--gotta go--I have to put a training plan together for a former cross country runner from the school I coach at.  He's doing a 50k in October.  This will be fun.  See ya!

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, Congratulations to your DD Bioguy!

Short, easy 3 mile run in the rain....heavy at times.  Lots of walking as well.

Still busy, so again my apologies.  Have a great night everyone!

That’s great, bioguy!   Best wishes for the future.

I am on St. John (USVI)

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Great school, great city. My DIL did her residency there. Congrats and good luck to Sarah!  RunnerKSA? Way to get your priorities straight. You’ll be stronger because of it. Enjoy the rest of your trip. One hour on the elliptical this morning, 15 minutes on thr rowing machine and 25 minutes of weights.

C-R

Hey all.

Love St. John. One of my favorites. Salt flats are great. The little town was so relaxing and welcoming. Might be time to do a return visit. Glad you're having a good time Karen and not fretting about the streak.

So cool bioguy. Congrats.

You can fire customer Leslie. Just saying.

Look at tet with the verbal ju jitsu. Well played.

Long day. Lots of meetings in Ohio. I started the presidency of a professional society chapter today (yikes) and then had a race back in town. It's a nice series called the 317 (Indy area code) where we run races that are 3.17 miles. Lots of fun and some beers from local breweries after. It was hot but I enjoyed it.

Well off we go. Have a good evening.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/