Masters Running

Monday Sept. 28 Master Runs and Workouts (Read 497 times)

Jlynne, I sent you another RA message if you have not seen it yet.

A bunch of great runs over the weekend.  But I somehow missed Holly's e-x-c-e-l-l-e-n-t 21.45 mile LR with 12 miles at MP.  Outstanding!  That FIRST program IS good, isn't it?

3.5 mile recovery run for me at 10:23 pace.  Last week of hard work.  I'm ready for taper.  My left thigh is a little sore today and last night.  I guess I was stupid running a few MP's the day after that MP LR.

Bill

ETA: for those of you who may not have read Slo-Hand's race report here is a Gem posted by CNYrunner.  I'm sure she was thinking squarely about ME when she wrote this.  (I'm working on this hard ...)

"The mental/emotional part [of a marathon] is HUGE. Once the slightest notion of slowing down or stopping to walk gets in there it's hard to shake, especially in the last miles."

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Byll.. final stretch for you!

Dg and Holly (among others) sure had great runs this weekend!

IRC 54°.
      6 miles in 51:51 (8:38 pace, AHR 149). First 2 miles with Tory and Sadie at 9:45 then 4 at 8:04 with strides

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Rest day - woohoo!    I needed to come to work just to relax a little after a very busy weekend.

I am so happy for Deb and her first big 20-miler and you did so great too!!!   Very, very kewl!!  

Happy to see Hallar back too.   Missed you Larry!

Cheers!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
        It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Slo

Good Morning Gang

Holly.....that was a beautiful run !

dg....congrats on that 20 miler. Definitly a milestone.

No run for me this morning......This shin thing isn't going to allow it. . I'm not sure what it is.....doesn't feel like your typical shin splint. It's significantly better today but running is out of the question. Other than that I feel very good.....legs are in great shape....no soreness etc.

A very "Fall Like" blustery commute to work this morning. The winds were whiping up the fallen leaves around my bike as more leaves were being blown out of the trees.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

Breger – thanks!  Although I still fell short of the plan, which called for 20 @ 8:50, and mine was more like 9:09 ave.  You have to remember, too, that I am running in much cooler temps than you are (low 60’s yesterday for me).

Rest day for me today, although I did do some crunches, push-ups, and chin-ups.  Mostly I puttered around the house doing various chores to ease tonight’s busy-ness. 

DD’s last soccer game is tonight – a tournament game.  If they won, they would have one more game tomorrow, but we haven’t won all season, so I don’t expect them to tonight.  (As a matter of fact, I really hope they don’t win tonight because I have class tomorrow night and it would be a scramble to get a coach substitute and transportation for DD, since DH is working overtime tomorrow.)  At any rate, it's been a tough season, and it will be a relief to put it behind us.  We'll start fresh in the spring.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Good morning!!

Some rain apparently on the way here to the Seattle area, I probably won't be able to avoid it for my planned run this afternoon after work.

Had a great day yesterday in Bellingham, perfect weather , beautiful course even if I ran only half of it, that is to say the half marathon .  I ended up with my usual time of 1:48:ish..but I'm very pleased: my training partner I was pacing for the first part of the race did great and shaved off 7 minutes from the previous PR!

I'm going to take a break from the half distance for a while, back to the ultra slow and long, I think that suits me better!

A great Monday to all!!

Francesca

"I'm taking a break from half marathons so I can do ultras" - that's not quite what I think of when I hear "taking a break" Smile

Beautiful weather this morning here in Maryland - crisp and clear, about 47°

6.2 miles, 57:24, 9:17/mi, AHR 130 (67% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Mariposai

Great run Fracesca. I love the Bellingham race course. I may have to think about it again for next year.

Slo-hand...take care of that shin...take it easy this week.

Breger, hang in the brother...taper is just around the corner.

dg, how are you feeling today? Fantastic run yesterday.

Busy week for my wings. The Autumn Leaf run is on Saturday. Much to do, much to do. Being a race director is not an easy task, at least I have more volunteers helping this year. I am not sure how much running I will be able to fit in this week.

4 easy miles today. My legs were tired from Saturday run .

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Another congrats to dg for that great 20-miler yesterday (in case she missed my post from yesterday).

Karin, you're in one of my favorite parts of the country (or at least were yesterday).

Very blustery day today, and with some other things to do I opted for 4.4 on the treadmill. Nothing more to report than that.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Mariposai

Where is the wiseone today?

tetsujin, I am not running the autumn leaf run this weekend, how can I? As a race director I will have my hands full already. However, I normally like to run the 10k course in the afternoon....just to make sure all the garbage and signs were picked up.

Perch...are we going to have the privilege of reading your RR?

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Out for an easy run with my 5K club this morning. A nice cool breeze and light sprinkles made the run very enjoyable. My volleyball team went 4-0 over the weekend to be in first place in our division after the first round of conference play. This was the first weekend this season where thing really came together, so their hard work is beginning to pay off. We also got 2 amazing good luck messages from a little girl in South Carolina that we have unofficially "adopted" through Friends of Jaclyn. She has helped to give 15 college women a new perspective on life and what it is to have a bad day. I am so proud of my kids.
                        evanflein

Nothing more to report than that.

Nothing? Not a single other thing comes to mind?

Craneium, you should be proud. Very nice.

Yeah, I agree Lou. "Taking a break" and "running more ultras" don't really seem to go together, but hey. I think I understand... I "take a break" from 5k's to concentrate on marathons!

Holly, it's been a tough season for your DD's soccer team. I bet all the parents are secretly hoping the losing streak continues. Sometimes it's good to just get it over with.

I saw a red fox on the way to work this morning. With all the voles we had this summer, I'd think there'd be more foxes but this is the first one I've seen in awhile. Beautiful critter, full coat and the bushy tail was almost as big as the rest of the fox!

I'm joining the resting crowd today. I was thinking of pool running after work, but figured the heck with it. I'm tired, and I still have beets to dig out of the garden, after I sweep the snow off them. That's the last thing and then I'm done... unless I want to clean up my flower beds but that's sort of a "who cares" task if you ask me.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Craneium, that's cool!

Holly, I'm glad soccer is almost over.  We've had a few seasons like that!  That's why I appreciate the HS XC team so much - the coach is wonderful and the boys have done well three years in a row.  None of my kids play soccer or any other "real" team sport anymore, and I don't miss it.  I'm always hearing about all the politics from the parents in our district.  I would have a hard time keeping my mouth shut.

It is "hot" here today - low 70s by the time I got my butt out the door.  Blech.  So I did only 3.5 slow miles.  But at least I did them.

Dilemma of the day:  DS e-mailed the recruiting coach and the head coach at Rice, to tell them about his recent race results.  At the end, he said he'd really like to go down to Houston for a visit. The head coach MEANT to reply to the reruiter, but instead he replied to DS, only.  He wrote, "Do you know what his track times are?  Might be worth a visit."  Good news, but we know the recruiter didn't receive the message!  I'm thinking DS should send the e-mail back to the head coach and explain what happened, and also include his track times.  Does that seem reasonable?  Rice is one school that really intrigues us - I think it would be a good match for DS.

Teresa,

FWIW I am a college coach and I would recommend doing exactly that. Have DS send the recruiter his track times too. Coaches like kids who are proactive, at least this one does.

dg.

I'm resting too!   except for working,,, seems this should have been a holiday somehow so that I could just keep eating without so many interruptions.  ;-)

Thanks so much for all the additional comments.    You guys are the best. 

I'm feeling surprisingly good today!   No residual effects, as far as I can tell.  (thanks Nancy Smile )  

Francesca... I agree with Lou.

Slo_hand... I agree with leslie!     and I hope your shin is ok.  what is going on with it?  how is it different?

PDR... I'm glad you got to use your garden.   I had passed on to me some advice from you about protecting our long runs.   It did help yesterday.   Thank you. 

Hoping (again) to catch up later.   It helps to have a goal.

(should make that my signature... ;-) )