Masters Running

Sunday, October 4th runs and such (Read 502 times)

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Good morning all.

No run for me this morning.  I 'm taking a vacation day with the PBJsters and Long-Suffering.  We may climb mount Cardigan.

Yesterday, went for a run in the rain.  My running route was pretty hilly.  Completed a little more than 26 miles, in about 3 hours and 19 minutes.  Felt pretty good.

Good runs to all.

Slo

Wow ! A very  nice run yesterday PBJ. I wish I could be so casual about running just "a little more than 26 miles." Not to mention doing it in under 3:20.

The elliptical isn't going so well. 20 mins is about all I can handle. I have enough equipment in my garage that I can mix it up a little and that helps.  I'm thinking about moving a TV out there......and while I'm at it I may as well move our old couch out there too.   Whats a man cave without a couch and a TV ? 

That's quite a list of Racers on yesterdays thread. I'm really looking forward to learning how everyone did and reading the RR.

Happy Sunday all and Best running to all our Racers !!!!!!!!

CORNING, NY , 10-04-2009 (Reuters)

Race officials were shocked to have to disqualify an entrant in today's marathon, for testing positive for EPO, as well as running while intoxicated.

Louis RunsforBeer, 59, of Maryland, stunned course officials when it was revealed that his Nike Dri-Fit baby carrier contained not his Grandson Leo, but rather a plastic doll which had been filled with a mixture of performance-enhancing steroids and a rather hoppy pilsner. Mr. Beer apparently drank from a hole in the doll's head.

Course officials were alerted at the 20 mile porto-potty by a disconcerted spectator.

"This guy....he just cuts in line, then throws this doll at me, saying 'watch this for me, I need to use both hands.'

"I mean, I thought it was a baby....it had an ASICS diaper on and everything. But it smelled like beer."

After exiting the porto-potty with some difficulty ("who #$##$#@^&^&^ing locked the thing?" Mr. Beer was said to have asked), Mr. Beer was led off the course, and briefly held for questioning by the Corning police. Mr. Beer was apparently unable to explain why he thought to fill a doll with beer at the WINE GLASS marathon.

Mr. Beer's spouse Harriet, 36, also of Maryland, and family friend Karin B. Qualifier, 32, were busy receiving their Age Group awards and couldn't be reached for comment.

Mariposai

Walt, you are a genius...this post made my day today.

Go racers go!!!!!

This is an exciting day for our RALand...so many are racing today! We are going to OD on RR today...and that is just fine with me

Will run this afternoon.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

wildchild

Carolyn

Walt, I love your attention to detail!  Especially their ages, and the reference to (Jlynne's) Baby Leo!

I wonder if the real RRs will be any better?  You've set the bar pretty high!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Awesome Walt!! luv it!

10 ez on a tight knee 1:36:50 (9:41 pace). second half felt ok.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Slo

.....Walt.....Very nice!
                Tramps

A shout-out to Ribs for a great 15K yesterday.  That’s got to feel good.

Smart racing for Perch, too.

Nice LR from Byll.

Rosie’s quite a character isn’t she?  Especially after her 16.

{{{Mariposai}}}—so sorry to hear your job news.  You’ll land on your feet, I’m sure.  Hang in there.                                                                                                              

PBJ—wow!

Disturbing news about Lou but, to be honest, I’m not that surprised. Nor am I surprised by Harriet and CNY's races.

(Nice job, Walt. )

A mess of a 22-miler today.  I was trying to run by feel without looking at my Garmin.."feel the pace"...yada, yada, yada.  Big mistake.  I went out way too fast in the "easy" first half (8:12!) with very uneven pacing and waited too long to dial it back.  After refilling my Fuel Belt, I aimed to run the second half at about 8-ish MP pace.  I did okay for about 7 miles, hung on for a couple more painful miles with mini-walk breaks, and then the tank was empty and I did the mostly-walk of shame for the last two miles home (13:00 pace!).  My legs were just dead weights and I couldn’t even jog.  Ouch.

On the bright side, I’m sure I got some benefits from the run nonetheless and the lesson about the importance of managing pace has been learned (again!).  Also, I know now that I really need to dial back expectations for my race two weeks from now so I can finish that last 10K.  8:10 to 8:15 is probably more realistic.

Looking forward to RR's!

Be safe. Be kind.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

I'd say you built some character on that run, Tramps!

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Marathon Maniac #957

Just had to pass on this text from Karin (CNYrunner);

3:20
                      First masters woman and most goals met.
                      Lou and Harriet also did well

Yayyy!!!!  Can't wait to hear the full story!

No run for me today.  Late night, some IT tenderness, conspired to make me feel lazy and sleep in. 

Nancy - your heart and courage is inspiring.   {{{hugs}}}

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mr. Beer apparently drank from a hole in the doll's head.

Walt, this was my laugh of the day!  At least he wasn't drinking from some other part of the doll's body!!

I'm anxious to hear how all of our racers did today.

Five miles at a 9:51 pace in cold, windy conditions this morning. Then, DH and I went to play golf. Hello! If it's too windy to run, how do you think it'll be on the golf course? Couldn't swing because I had too many layers of clothes on and neither one of us was playing particularly well so we quit after 9 holes.

Some great long runs yesterday and today. Slo, it sounds like your garage is set up as well as our local YMCA! Does the man cave have a refrigerator with a tap in it?

Mariposai, so sorry to hear about your job situation. Will you look for something right away, or take a couple of months off? Good luck with the search.

Enjoy your Sunday everyone.

In the spirit of PBJ's disguised RR, but definitely not in the same performance class, I ran a hilly 13.1 miles this morning in 1:57. More later when I have time (decision, decisions: do I watch the Lions or Tigers this afternoon, and which is more likely to either break my heart or get me to throw something at the TV?).

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Walt, funny!  (but 59??  You got PDR and CNY's ages right, for sure, though)  Smile

It was a beautiful course, and weather was pretty good, at least until about 11 when the temps got above 60°.

I may post a race report later, but suffice it to say that the story is in the splits to follow.  I planned for 3:35 (8:12/mi) and found myself going too fast for a while.  Caught myself for miles 5,6 but slipped into it again for 7-10.  Briefly thought about trying to PR, but too worried about the next race.  Reined back again until about mile 21 where I decided I didn't want to hurt myself to DNS the next one in 2 weeks.  I figured it didn't really matter if I BQ'd as I would have several other opportunities (for 2011).

Well long story short, mile 25 was faster again, oops, and at the 25 mile marker I did a quick calculation and decided I, in fact, could BQ if I pushed it a bit.  I had plenty in the tank it seems as I feel fine now.

Per garmin: 26.3 miles, 3:34:35, 8:09/mi, AHR 156 (80% MHR)

all splits:

1 - 7:58(140)

2 - 8:02(150)

3 - 8:02(151)

4 - 8:04(154)

5 - 8:11(159)

6 - 8:11(160)

7 - 7:55(158)

8 - 8:03(159)

9 - 8:05(158)

10 - 8:08(156)

11 - 8:10(156)

12 - 8:14(153)

13 - 8:12(153)

14 - 8:16(153)

15 - 8:10(154)

16 - 8:10(155)

17 - 8:13(155)

18 - 8:14(155)

19 - 8:11(158)

20 - 8:13(157)

21 - 8:38(155)

22 - 8:32(156)

23 - 8:26(156)

24 - 8:24(156)

25 - 8:10(159)

26 - 7:26(169)

27 - 2:15(182) [0.32=7:06]

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Just had to pass on this text from Karin (CNYrunner);

3:20
                              First masters woman and most goals met.
                              Lou and Harriet also did well

That's HUGE!!!!

Congrats to all. Especially Lou, for staying out of jail. Seriously....nice final kick.

14 miles for me, 6-12 MP-ish

Walt

Slo

Fantastic race Lou.  I'm thinking there's a thing or two I could learn from your splits.