Masters Running

ORRRC Marathon (Read 637 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

The ORRRC (Ohio River Road Runner’s Club) marathon is cheap ($20 early reg.), close (30 minute drive), and well-organized (chip-timing, mile markers, regular hydration stations). What’s not to like? I got up this morning and went through my usual pre-race routine: 1. had water, coffee, oatmeal, banana 2. put gels and 2 tylenol in a baggie into my spibelt 3. put 2 layers of Skin Shield (liquid bandage) on my toes (blister hot-spots) 4. cut the feet off a pair of DD’s soccer socks for a snuggly pair of arm warmers. Outfit: black Nike skirt, hot pink short-sleeved tech shirt, yellow Marathon Maniacs singlet, and lime-green arm warmers – think they’ll see me coming? Big grin This is a sort of out-and-back along bike trails and country roads, mostly flat with some rolling hills. The forecast was for 42-54°, partly cloudy, with winds 11-15 mph. It turned out to be brilliantly sunny, 45-65°, and at times the winds felt much stronger than 15mph. In fact, from mile #9 through mile #14, the wind was head-on and downright BRUTAL, and I feared that the effort of keeping pace against it was robbing me of energy I might need later. However, we finally turned after that and the wind lessened, mostly coming at an angle for the rest of the run, and I found that having that cross-breeze was quite pleasant as the temperature increased into the 60’s. I’ll bore you with my splits: 8:41 8:47 8:42 8:43 8:41 8:45 8:48 8:45 8:49 8:51 9:00 8:56 9:08 9:18 8:58 9:03 9:00 9:15 9:11 9:15 9:09 9:37 (doubling back against the wind here) 9:21 9:21 9:18 8:52 (8:30) for the last .2 Goals: 1. Finish without injury – done 2. 4:00 or better – done 3. 3:50 or better – not this time Results: 3:57:16 BQ! 42/126 OA 6/36 Female 3/5 AG Dg told me last week that she had a remote buzzer and would zap me if I slowed to a walk, and more than once, when I was tempted to walk, I envisioned her bent over her crystal ball, thumb on the button. Big grin (thanks Dg) I really didn’t know what to expect today, and I’m very happy with this result. Maybe my PR marathon wasn’t just a fluke after all. My work over the summer will be to better this time in the fall. One additional thing – I promised myself that if I BQ’d here, I’d sign up for a local 50K trail run in August… Surprised Tomorrow’s forecast: rain turning to snow, high winds, and temps in the 30’s – I am SO glad that wasn’t the weather I had today. What a difference a day makes! Thanks to all of you for your wisdom, encouragement, and friendship. You folks here at RA continue to inspire me to push harder than I think I can. You kept me running today when I was tired, and I felt you cheering me on the whole way - I don't think I have done this without you. An acquaintance who was taking pictures at the race caught me in one and e-mailed it to me. My DS says I look "scary" in it (typical of most of my race photos). You can see I was concentrating very carefully on grabbing a water cup, probably knocking small children out of my way at the same time. Notice the lime green socks in my other hand? I pulled those off early on, and then mopped my brow with them for the rest of the race. Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wow Holly!! those are AWESOME splits -- nothing boring about them at all!! you are amazing - your hard working and dedication certainly paid off!! Congratulations on your BQ!!Smile and...................... 2010 BOSTON MARATHON - HERE COMES HOLLY!!!!!!!!!!!Big grinBig grinSmile

denise

SteveP

Holly, You're simply an awesome force of sproinkiness. We'd like a picture of you in your outfit. It sounds like a crime fighting get up. Thanks for the sweet RR and your personality SteveP

SteveP

Tramps

I came back tonight specifically to look for this report. That's a great race, Holly! I'm so glad for you. You've been working very hard through the winter and it paid off. You had the strength to persevere through some wind, which definitely saps your energy. And there's an AG award in there, right? Woo hoo! It's so funny how we're on opposite ends of the spectrum when it comes to weather. I'm thinking "Ouch, 40s is hot" and you've got arm warmers and two layers on! Give yourself an easy week to rest up. You deserve it! ETA: Oh yeah, and another BQ....but those are routine for you now, right? Wink

Be safe. Be kind.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Now that Denise broke the ice, I can jump in. WTG Holly--what a lovely set of splits you had, my dear. Very consistent. And a BQ. Very nice. And an AG award to top it all off. Icing on the cake. I'll look forward to seeing you in Boston next year. Now that you've gotten the practice one out of the way last year, you'll be all set to smoke the next!! Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Congratulations, Holly! I don't seem to get around to read many RRs these days, but for you I definitely made an exception. Sounds like a good run and important goals met. Smile

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Renee the dog

Whoooo hooooooooo! I'm sooooo excited for you! NICE BQ! Somethings are good about turning 45, eh? (I'm right there with you...) Well done on the AG too! Big grin You, my woman, are an inspiration!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Hill Runner

WooHoo Holly! Way to GO. Smile

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                  Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                  Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Impressive splits and awesome job, Holly. You have to be thrilled with your effort! I hope you're rewarding yourself with a glass of wine, nice dinner (hopefully fixed by your DH) and dessert. We're so proud of you - you did it! Just looked at your picture - where exactly do you need to lose weight, woman?

Prince of Fatness

Outfit: black Nike skirt, hot pink short-sleeved tech shirt, yellow Marathon Maniacs singlet, and lime-green arm warmers – think they’ll see me coming? Big grin
                      Pictures would be nice. Just sayin'. Seriously, nice work. I appreciate your work in running the 40/40 and the weight loss threads. Definitely provides some motivation. I'm glad to see you running well. Congrats!

Not at it at all. 

King of PhotoShop

Great race. Disappointed about the colors! Nice going. Why not postpone that promise about the ultra? You are not anywhere near your potential in racing. Light walk and stretch tomorrow? Spareribs
                          WooHoo, another BQ! Even though you said it was Fargin' Hard, that was a MotherFargin' awesome race you ran! You didn't complain too much about anything, so I assume you felt strong the whole way, even into that Fargin' wind. Your commitment to training has inspiring. I was thinking of you this morning....couldn't wait to hear how it went. Groovy colours, nice! Need picture.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

I Can Go The Distance

WTG Holly Big grin You did RA Masters and the 40/40 group proud. Your hard work and dedication are an inspiriation to us all. Your split times were really consistant in spite of the wind. One thing I don't ever want to hear from you again is that a PR was a fluke! You are a very talented runner and your BQ proves it. YOU ARE THE WOMAN!!! Well done my friend, Bruce P.S. OK, now that you have had your moment in the sun, get back to work on this week's 40/40 thread. Smile

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." Jim Valvano

busiman

Running out of mistakes!

Great job Holly! Congratulations on a well deserved BQ, especially with that wind! Taking third in your AG is always nice too. I like that idea of the Skin Shield for the toes.
                              -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
                              also on Twitter
                              xor

A couple of my Seattle friends were at this race... the guy of the couple (and they are a couple) came in 8th overall. Woohoo for the BQ!