Masters Running

RR, 5K Whooped by an 85 yr. old, and didn't even PR!! (Read 320 times)

Holy Moley!   Short version is that I ran a 5k on Sat., ran my heart out, and got clobbered by an 85 yr. old Wonder Woman, but had a good race and fun anyway.  I will run that race next summer, and get my revenge!

Long version.  The race was in Salem, Or., at Bush Pasture Park, where I have some of my very earliest  childhood memories, and others.  I ran with DD1.  the race was in conjunction with a huge Arts Fair.  The park is beautiful - about 100 acres.  There were 390 in the 5K race.

Fashion report:   Glow green short sleeved tech shirt given to me by DD2, dark blue pants, and my great Brooks shoes.  A nifty shirt. Felt good, and ready to run.

I got there late in the afternoon the evening before in order to check out the course.  It was 94 degrees, but I found the short but very steep hill, and practiced.  I was able to run up it, and found out that at the top of the hill, it levels out flat for a long way, so that meant I could run up that hill, and not have to walk it.   I had found out only earlier that day that the course that I had printed off the internet and studied on Google was from last year, and this years course would not  be on internet, and was different. So I just checked out possibilities, and walked around a bit.  DD1 and her family were there manning a booth for the community pops orchestra.  I also figured out where I would probably be able to park, and that worked out fine in the AM. Congestion was a problem for some, but I got there early, and knew where I could go.  Also, I found the drinking fountain. 

It was about 69 degrees at 7:45 AM when we started out running on grass for quarter mile or so.  I had almost no experience on grass, but knew it might slow me down.  Rather than all starting sort of in a long line, we were spread out , and just pointed one direction.  Next was a long bark dust trail, narrow, so passing was hard.  I did like the softness, though.  I knew by mile one that I was slow.  Nuts!   I had my dream numbers written on my hand, and my previous PR also.  I decided to try to catch up with myself, and did manage some. 

The course is beautiful, varied, and interesting.   The volunteers were wonderful.   Friendly and helpful, and there were many of them.  It is about a third each of grass, bark dust, and asphalt.  The one hill is short and steep, but  there were other not at all steep ones. 

I spent most of the 2nd and 3rd miles "with"  a group of two women, one man, three kids, and a Daddy who was taking photos from the sidelines.  I kept having to pass them, and runnning among them, and being passed by them.   I just couldn't run past the whole bunch of them. and stay ahead.   The women and kids were many times in a row and talking.  When they ran, they were faster than me, but then they would slow way down to get their pictures taken or talk to Daddy.  The worst thing was that they were not that nice to be around, and even talked about me, apparently thinking my hearing was not good from a few feet away.  Not like all the nice runners I have run "with"  all year.  The result was that I spent my mental energy trying  to pass them, or watching out for the kids, etc.  I like being able to concentrate on my own race, pace, form, etc.   Anyway, that is part of my excuse.

Somewhere along, the people on the sidelines were saying we were almost there, but low and behold, there was yet another loop, and it was on bark dust and grass.  I had not seen, and never did see the 3 mile mark, but was just doing my 100% best. 

I came in 2 ,and1/2 min. short of my PR.  I think the heat (I am fron the cool West coast),  the grass and bark dust, and maybe the hills were part of the reason.  Anyway, there were only two of us in the 70+ AG, and the 85 yr old amazing lady was first.  I got to talk to her for quite a long time.  She has been running  for 50 yrs!  On the other hand, I was faster than the 2 in the 65 - 69 group, and faster than 9 of the 13 in the 60 - 64 age group.  About 100 people came in behind me.

The rewards ceremony was in a treed location with seats, and there were lots of drawings.  My DD1 won a pair of Brooks shoes, and was sooooo excited.  She had just ran the whole way, and not walked at all, and was really on a high, and I am very happy for her.  We went out for breakfast and giggled, called Econo, and had fun. 

All in all, it was a lot of fun, and next year I want to do it again.  Also, my feet and legs likes the soft bu slow surfaces., and didn't hurt at all the next day. 

All for now.  have a good week, evereyone.   Woods Lady 

Woods Lady, your report was a joy to read.  Other than the group that was blocking your way due to ignorance of good race etiquette or just plain oblivious, it sounds like you were with a bunch of neat people.  The grass, bark dust, hills, and heat are not condusive to a PR so I wouldn't even worry about it.  The 85 year old lady sounds impressive.  You do too, beating so many people in lower age groups.  I'm glad you had a good race, a good time, and were able to share it with friends and family.  Congratulations.

TomS

wildchild

Carolyn

Great job, Woods Lady!  Congrats on 2nd place in AG!   You (and the 85 year old who beat you) are an inspiration to all of us young whipper-snappers!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

spacityrunner

Woods Lady, way to stay focused on your race.  I love the way you scoped out the lay of the land beforehand and you were ready for anything...even rude runners.  I would love to run with you someday..but I fear you would beat the pants off of me

Trails Rock!

Thank you, nice people.  Liz - I'll let you know if I ever get to Washington!  I also have two desperate house cats, and one is on each side of my lap top as a try to write this. 

"The long run puts the tiger in the cat"   Wish i knew who wrote that.  

Mariposai

Holy Moley!   . 

I came in 2 ,and1/2 min. short of my PR.  I think the heat (I am fron the cool West coast),  the grass and bark dust, and maybe the hills were part of the reason.  Anyway, there were only two of us in the 70+ AG, and the 85 yr old amazing lady was first.  I got to talk to her for quite a long time.  She has been running  for 50 yrs!  On the other hand, I was faster than the 2 in the 65 - 69 group, and faster than 9 of the 13 in the 60 - 64 age group.  About 100 people came in behind me.

I just absolutely adore MaEcono's attitude towards racing. Look at her positive point of view. You not only came second in your age group,but you finished ahead of 100 people. Way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0hurray to SisEcono too for running the whole race with no walking brakes. I know she has been working towards that goal00

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

King of PhotoShop

You are awesome WL!  Great report.  But I think you skimmed over the colors for the FR and I am the only true arbiter of your fashion taste.  Can we get some detail here? I caught the glow green and the blue, and that made me a bit skeptical about the entire "look" and curious about the shoe color.  Fess up.

Now on a more serious note, I enjoy your posts so much and happy to see you running and competing well. And it's cool to put a bullseye on someone who beats you and say, "Next time!"  Keep it up.  Spareribs

Henrun

W.L., you represented our age group well. Here in New England we have some very fast super senior runners. I have to find small races to even place. Congratulations on your age group finish.
                    This report was great!  You are great!  What more can I say?  You did your homework, scoped out the course beforehand, knew you'd be off a PR from the soft surfaces, and managed to finish ahead of 100 others.  Congrats to DD1 as well, that is a big milestone.  I hope the comments the family made that they thought you couldn't hear were at least complimentary?

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Hey, Ribs,  The shoes are those  runners dirty mesh stuff with matching off blue, purple parts.  Almost a good match to the pants.  I am guilty, though, of not telling the whole story on the fashion report.  The pants were an uncool capri length, because, well, I'm old and have ugly legs!  No shorts for me.  Not only that bad thing, but the dark blue pants have a white stripe down the side, and not a matching glow green to the shirt.  Yikes!   If only I  were more of a fashion pro.  Oh, I had nice gold earings!   Does that give me a fashion point? 

Now here is a more serious question.  I pushed on the hill, and "ran" up it, knowing that I could do it, and get my breath at the flat on the top of the hill.  Now, I admit to being tired at the top of the hill.  Would I have been smarter to have walked up the hill, and maybe have had more energy to use once I reached the flats?  Any ideas?   

Thanks, everyone.   Woods Lady

Mariposai

I think you did great on your race dahhhhhhhling maEcono. As far as running uphill or not...I will leave that to the wiseone and others to respond, but I just wanted to say that running up the hill with the same intesity  as the flat grounds has helped me iso much in my hilly races.

I am so proud you YOUUUUUUUUUU and sisterEcono toooooooooooo

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

huskydon

Thanks for the wonderful report!  I like the way you scope things out ahead of time.  Like others have said, the hills, heat, bark, etc, make it hard for a PR, so you are doing just fine. Very cool about your DD, your family must all have the running gene. 

Concerning your question about the hills, I myself usually slow down going up the hills, to the extent that some will pass me, but it works out for me, because I am fresher at the top, and can then can pass them back.  I do like to run faster down hills, so maybe it all evens out.   I guess it depends on the steepness of the hill, and whether it is at the beginning or end of the race.  Try it the other way next year and see how it turns out. 

Again, congrats on a good race.

WL - Once again I had a smile reading your report.  You do a wonderful job of not only putting your heart and soul into your running, but into your report, as well.  And raspberries to the group who was totally inconsiderate and, from the sounds, down right rude.  Thankfully, people like that are few and far between.

Congrats on your placement and beating so many people "younger" than you.  "Younger" because age is mind-related and you ain't no over the hill chick.

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

SteveP

I'd love to see you in a race! With each of your race reports, I hang on every word and smile ear to ear. You run with your heart and it shows.

SteveP

That's my girl! 

I know it's disappointing to not PR in every race, but...you have to admit, the course had so many features that slowed you down!  Can't wait to see what your course PR is in the Scandia Run in 4 weeks.  Hooray!