Masters Running

Sunday, May 30 Runs and Holiday Weekend Fun (Read 632 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

Some excellent running yesterday, and I look forward to the race reports with the details.

6.3 recovery-ish miles (10:31) this morning on the TM watching Julie and Julia.  On the TM because I have a slightly sore muscle in my thigh and didn’t want to go far from home in case it got worse, but thankfully it seems to be minor.

We’re taking the kids biking on the bike trail this morning, where one of the stops will be a Heritage Festival at a park along the river.  Afterward I expect we’ll be heading over to the water park again for a couple hours (after all, it is opening weekend), followed by a serious attack on the weeds for me later in the day.

I hope you all are having a happy and safe holiday weekend!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Renee the dog

Commenting on Bill's post yesterday -- I took it as a deeper meaning than just it wasn't his day racing. It probably struck me so because I use running as a way to get away from my family. 

Yoga and wallpapering on tap for this morning.  6 beach miles tonight at dinner time.

Have fun today Holly (and everyone who comes along later!)

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Holly,

sounds like a fun day with the family.

Nono,

Sounds like a fun  day away from the family.   

5 miles just under 50 minutes for me this morning.  That  is my long run for the week   On the otherhand my recovery seems to be coming along well and I am happy to be running  5 miles again. I have no long races planned anytime soon so this is going to be a long slow build up this time.

Bill,

You can still run marathons just tell your family to wait at the finish line next time.

Seriously though I know all the hard training it takes to get to the starting line and how disapointing this can be but lets face it, I think we all really like the pain of the training more than the actual race we pick out to justify all those hours, so the real victory is knowing that you can and knowing when you can't.

Good luck at Twin City.

waiting to hear Steves report, I am so happy for him.

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Slo

12.4 Miles.......On dead legs.

That bike ride zapped me.......70 degs didn't help either.

6.2 hot & hilly ones this morning

Bill nice 20 mile training run yesterday  

Like hallar said, have your family wait at the finishline at Twin Cities  & you will be awesome! 

Happy Day! 

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

...And a Gracious GoodMorning//.......taking Pickles off to Nashville to Chappy's Champaign Brunch 

and a night out on the town......

Feel the Burn....

========

...............high 80s....

...did 25min Walk/Run.....dropped the cane for an extra 10min......

good running guys............enjoy

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Holly, sounds like a fun day with the family.

Nono, Sounds like a fun  day away from the family.   

Why we run - 1931 version.

-------

TOM MCNAB'S first novel, ''Flanagan's Run,'' is about an epic 1931 footrace

from Los Angeles to New York City -first prize, $150,000.

What keeps his runners going?

His explanation seems as good as any others floated in recent years,

which have ranged from physiological ''highs'' to E.L. Doctorow's speculation,

in his play ''Drinks Before Dinner, '' that everyone who runs is unconsciously

training himself to run from something.

As Doc Cole, the 54-year-old hero of ''Flanagan's Run,'' reflects: His rivals ''ran because this

was the moment which no landlord, no employer, no politician could take from them.

They had stood in bread lines, taken handouts and pay cuts, watched

while plump politicians had pursued their round of conferences.

They had watched, impotent.

It had not taken them long to realize that others were going to win the Trans-America,

nor had it taken them long to reach their personal decision to continue.

They had come to run across America and no one on earth was going to stop them.

No, there was no need to ask why they kept running.''

Books Of The Times Published: July 8, 1982  By Christopher Lehmann-Haupt

FLANAGAN'S RUN. By Tom McNab. 444 pages. Morrow. $14.50.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Dave59

Rest day today.

Buffalo Marathon this morning.  One of these years I am going to at least run the half in my old home town.

Sounds like a fun day ahead Holly. Good plans.

I am heading to the Paradise City Art Festival in just a bit. It's here every Memorial Day weekend, but I never manage to go. One of my aunts is in town, so we'll go together. The kiddo gets home tonight after a what he tells us via text message has been the best trip ever (Montreal with a bunch of 8th graders---no English speaking allowed except in the hotel and when they are back over the border).

BIG NEWS OUT OF BURLINGTON, VT today at the Vermont City Marathon......not saying more , but hoping Walt RB posts his marathon race report soon! Congratulations!

15.2 miles for me today with Dr. J....was going to be 17 but I tripped and fell on a pothole. Knocked the wind out of me, scraped up both elbows badly and have some crazy abrasions on my stomach, hips, and thighs.....ugh. Really hard pavement smacker, but didn't seem to hurt my running parts. Dr. J had her phone with her and called Mr. CNYrunner who fetched us. I am just happy I didn't break anything. 

Good to see you Larry...keep forgetting to say that.

....was going to be 17 but I tripped and fell on a pothole. Knocked the wind out of me, scraped up both elbows badly and have some crazy abrasions on my stomach, hips, and thighs.....ugh. Really hard pavement smacker, but didn't seem to hurt my running parts. Dr. J had her phone with her and called Mr. CNYrunner who fetched us. I am just happy I didn't break anything. 

Wow Karin - that sounds like a serious spill. I'm glad nothing was broken or you didn't  have cuts deeper than the ones you mentioned. I think you need an afternoon of TLC.

Sounds like a fun day, Holly. I say leave the weeds for another weekend.

Hey Nono - how about a picture of that wild wallpaper you mentioned yesterday? Have a great beach run.

Some nice hot, sweaty runs today. The weather is the same here. I ran a local 4 mile race this morning.  It's a smallish event and they always start it at 9:00 AM, which is way too late. Temps already over 70° and over half of the course on an uphill, blacktop road with no shade. It was brutal today. Finished in 33:33, 3rd in AG, 117 overall.  My pet peeve at these small races is that they group all of the women in a 50-59 category. When you're at the upper end of the 50's, it's hard to compete against someone who just turned 50.  Oh well, a woman who was 69 ran the race in 29:21 so I guess I have no ground for complaining - sorry for the rant.

I also wanted to say "thanks" to all of our veterans for their service. I hope every one of you is having a wonderful Memorial Day.

Dave59

What keeps me busy in the evenings and on the weekends:

(Granddaughter Annabelle, 2 years & 2 months old.)

That  looks like a Toys R Us store to me....

Ouch CNYrunner!!

Ran 7.5 miles, wanted 10 but right at 7 my feet and lower back starting killing me.  It didn't seem worth it to continue when 7.5 was all I  needed to hit 30 miles for the week.  That makes 4 30 mile weeks in a row, a kind of PR of sorts.  I hope to shift up to 35 mpw soon.

I'm with Nono -  I run to get away from the family.

DH and I almost came to blows (just kidding) as he threw a patio stone on top of my two trilliums - the ones I planted last year and was so excited to see come up this spring.  All of a sudden he is interested in the garden/yard whereas before he had no interest at all.  Said to me "what should we plant this year".  And I had to explain that it is too shady back there now for anything edible to grow.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Slo

CNY.......I wonder if its the same for runners as it is for cyclist.

They say there are two types of cyclist.....those who have experienced road rash and those who will experience road rash.

Anyway, Im glad to hear it's nothing serious....those abrasions can be very painful though. Keep them moist...especially when they begin to scab over.

I'm on my 2nd bag a charcol for the weekend. It's fish tonight......then tomorrow it's ribs.

Yawn......might be time for a nap.

Mariposai

Enkie, great 4x30 miles week. Easy does it sistahh!!!! Funny about your DH's interest in the garden. My DH is a perfectionist when it comes to gardening, Me? the carefree type. I enjoy dirtying my hands in the soil, planting things here and there just to see how showy they can be when they bloom...after a few...near blows Smile in years past he has decided to give up and let me do my thing. Where we live is a dessert and I think the plants are happier when planted in "my style".

Dave, that granddaughter of yours is adorable. Thanks for sharing her smile with us!

Erika, between  garden planting we ought to have a phone chat. I miss ya sistahh. Hey, we should plan to do Mt. Si next year Smile

Francesca, 100 miler for next year!!! If anyone can do it, you can!

Hallar, slow build up is the best approach!! I celebrate those 5 miles with you today!

I need to get out  and go for a run. It is so windy out there. I wish I could do some trail runs this weekend , but nobody wants to drive me to the trail and hang out with me for a few hours while I get my trail run fix...sometimes I wish I was a boy...boys can run alone in the woods, right?

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Why we run - 1931 version.

His explanation seems as good as any others floated in recent years,

which have ranged from physiological ''highs'' to E.L. Doctorow's speculation,

in his play ''Drinks Before Dinner, '' that everyone who runs is unconsciously

training himself to run from something.

Hmmm. Did 26.2 today in 3:17: something (Garmy quit on me), and no way was I running from anybody.

E.L.D. needs to learn to run without prepositions, and just run.

RR later.

Walt

who has learned the hard way NOT TO sample GU's new gel, Roctane, for it's taste by imbibing the whole thing while still indoors at a race expo, since because what then happens is that you end up pinballing around the place, sorta shaking, jazzy, WIRED, while you look for a "I run like a girl" singlet for your oldest daughter to wear at x-country camp this summer.