Masters Running

Third Annual Northampton Running Company 4 on the 4th (Read 233 times)

Third Annual Northampton Running Company Four on the Fourth (benefit for the Center for New Americans) July 4, 2008 8:30 AM overcast and threatening skies, 68F, humid The chief sponsor of this race, The Running Company, is the kind of running shoe store that’s operated by runners and really nice folks at that. I am always happy to support them and their races. This race is also a great place to see friends and most of the local speedsters. The beneficiary organization is wonderful and offers language classes, family support services and a whole range of legal services for immigrants and new citizens. There were several new citizens in the race today, including my Nigerian born neighbor and his mother who became American citizens yesterday. Now that I am deeper into the marathon training cycle, I know my leg speed is diminished somewhat. This race is good for keeping my speed work sharp while piling the miles onto my legs. I did want to beat my time from last year---a 29:04 (7:16 pace and 4th in my age group). Hmmmm…. I went to Dr. J’s house since she lives right in town and wanted to jog to the race from her house. Her kids didn’t want to join her---cross country and track daughter broke her toe while life-guarding and her warrior runner twin son is till three weeks away from activity as he recovers from surgery. So off we went to the registration and start area. This race starts off around the corner from the Running Company store and loops up main street Northampton and then up Elm Street by Smith College (the climb is gradual at first). Just after the mile 1 mark we turn up Round Hill Road (somewhat steep). The rest of the race is pretty flat and takes us around Childs Park and back to the finish A good portion of the race follows the Hot Chocolate 5k course and that reminded me of Dark Horse since I met him and his son at that race in December 2007. It’s a good day to remember him---hello out there wherever you are and thank you for your service! Goals: * Beat last year’s 29:04 * Unleash a decent kick and make mile 4 the best mile Results: 28:32/ 35th overall out of 148/3rd woman overall/2nd in the 40-49 age group Overall winner: Erik Nedeau in 20:23 (he has won this race all three years) and first overall woman was his wife, Amy Nedeau in 5th in 22:38. She has won this twice---took last year off to have a baby. Ah to be in your early thirties! My splits: Mile 1--- 7:05----I felt awful---arms all tingly, light headed, whine, whine, whine…. Mile 2--- 7:11 (14:16) ----climbing up Elm Street and hitting Round Hill Road here---steady now----look ahead, straighten up---power up and over---passed 4 people here Mile 3---7:14 (21:30)----Residual hill stuff and feeling sorry for myself---Snap out of it---the legendary Nancy Conz is reading the 3 mile splits---look sharp (she yells to me that I am third woman…I am? Cool!) Mile 4---7:02 (28:32)----Roar! I am kicking this mile and I am happy The post-race gathering was great fun as many of the local running club members gathered around the pancake griddle and were treated to pancakes made to order, doughnuts, cookies, water, Gatorade and coffee. The race is very low key---only $10---and the spirit is always upbeat. Dr. J. is still building back from ITB issues and wanted to go under 30 minutes if her leg let her. She hit her goal just about on the head and didn’t have any pain in her leg. All good. We chatted for a while and then ran back to her house the long way for 8 miles total on the day. All the local fireworks have been cancelled because of thunderstorm forecasts, so this was a great way to celebrate. Thanks for reading! MTA: black shorts, hot pink singlet, white socks and hot pink racing flats.
    HermosaBoy

Nice racing -- even 1st 1/2 and 2nd 1/2 splits, but last mile the fastest! Big grin

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

King of PhotoShop

So you ran 7:08's, and you nailed a terrific final mile. Here are the two key points as I saw them. First is that I agree with you that during marathon training it takes the sharpness off your speed, so if you were looking at say, 7:15's, it almost always feels like a hard slog and you never have that spring in your step. It's very difficult to race during that phase. But on the other hand, once warmed up and in race mode, you are able to push and do so with confidence. I imagine that fourth mile was very tough, but what made it achievable is the confidence you have from the training. I really admire a tough final mile in a short race like this. Very well done. After your goal marathon I think you might want to consider working toward some sub-7 efforts as it is all there for you. Well done. Spareribs

Marathon Maniac #957

Super job, Karin! You achieved both of your goals and more, and finished in superb style - great racing!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

DickyG

Huge race, Karin! Very impressive...although judging from the workouts you've posted, I'm not surprised...I have a tee shirt picked out for you that I saw in Atlanta...I'll post it in a couple days. DickyG
            huskydon

Very nice running, strong finish at end, 2nd in AG, congratulations! Sounds like a wonderful race too! The pancakes sound fantastic! huskydon
                Terrific race!! Congrats on third overall!! Did you win something for that? I sure hope so. What an inspiration you are.....

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

coastwalker

Hi Karin, You were smokin'! You hit every goal on your chart, and then some. Congratulations on a greta effort on a mild and muggy day, and on your overall and AG placements. It's always nice to run a race that you know will be well-organized, and that is for a good local cause - makes you feel good, doesn't it? I was talking to the race announcer at the race I did yesterday, and we agreed that, especially now, there is much more sensitivity to the cost of entry at local races. $10 is a steal, especially with such a nice post-race spread! Glad to hear that Dr.J is recovering well from her ITB problems, and hit her goal too. Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

CNY, what marathon are you training for? Have you heard of the Pioneer Valley Women's Running club. Since youre local I would make quick pitch for them/us. Its a great club. We run Whiting every Sat AM and have lots of social things too. What marathon are you training for? Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Hi Laurie! I keep hoping we'll meet one of these days since we are in the same area. I have heard of the Pioneer Valley Running Club---nice article in the Springfield papers a while back I believe? I belong to the Sugarloaf Mountain Athletic Club and just joined the Springfield Harriers (masters women's team). I also belong to the Syracuse Chargers for sentimental reasons. I'd love to link up on your group runs when time permits though. I do many of my during the week runs solo, but love group runs on the weekends. Thanks for the plug and when I am back in late July, I'll try harder to make it work. I am focusing on the Baystate Marathon (October 19 in Lowell) Thanks for the nice comments about my race folks. Spareribs, I appreciate your thoughts on racing. I did feel a confidence boost when I pushed that last mile and my muscle memory seemed to take over. We'll see what happens after the fall marathon with the work schedule. It would be great to string together some sub 7s in a shorter race. I did it in a 5k and would like to extend that to 10k at least. Enke, no swag for 3rd overall, but that's cool. There were prizes for first in each age group and since the first masters woman was also first in the age group, she got a prize...well deserved too with a 24 minute four mile time. I had great fun even so. Karin
                        Nice splits Karin Especially the last one! You are a very talented runner and one of the many on RA that I love to follow. I learn from every post and most of all from every RR. Thank you for sharing. Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Very nice race! You really pushed hard that last mile which made all the difference to smash your prior year's time! One thing the middle of marathon training does is allows for the stamina to get that extra hard effort at the end rather than dying out. Very well done, Karin! Congratulations! Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Karin, you are faaaast!!!!!!! Great going and have fun on vacation! Francesca
                              Nice all around race and great finish, I am jealous of that log. I know someone who's ready to run a big marathon. Congratulations and keep up the good work.
                              Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                              wildchild

Carolyn

Wow, another great run! But no fireworks? Sad So nice that you did the race with one of the running J's too!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.