Masters Running

Sundaily, 5.15.22 (Read 34 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' Masters.

Some good workouts (Jlynne, KSA, Stumpy, Tet, Quickadder, Deeze, Dave, Twocat, Steve) yesterday in somewhat less than ideal weather in places.

I'm so sorry about Remi, Enke (a hard call, but seems to have been the right call), and about your uncle, Steve.

Keep up the great work, Mariposai - glad to read about your continuing progress.

Good luck with keeping the truck functioning, Leslie.

Great historical find, Roch! Enjoy the book and the trip.

Dave, if it was a fun event, then it wasn't a bad run.

I spent about 4 hours standing at the rain barrel auction yesterday, which was about 1 hour too long for me these days. I should have taken a chair, but didn't. We auctioned off 7 painted rain barrels and brought in $630 for conservation commission projects, so it was a successful auction. I didn't take any photos, so if I can find one, i"ll post it.

FedEx came to deliver one of the lawn mowers yesterday, and I refused to accept it, so it'll go back. #2 is supposed to arrive on Tuesday, although FedEx said yesterday they had not received the package from the shipper. I'm trying to let FedEx know I am refusing that too, but they can't do anything if they don't even have the package yet. Oy...

4.45 EZ miles this morning in 66° temps with a very, very light drizzle. Next, DW and I are going to make a run to Trader Joe's, and then I'll be heading to Boston to our northern New England RA meet-up which I'm really looking forward to.

Have a greta Sunday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Hi Early Bird Jay. I tried this morning to be the early bird I always thought I was until you came along but it's already getting the dawn's early light by 5am and, worse yet, since I can't stay up anymore past 9pm, there'll be no darkness in my life for a couple of months. Wish the chaos'd go away too.

Steve - just when I was thinking twocat's weather was thinking it's out here in the rainy PNW, your planting/growing season from Memorial Day to Labor Day sounds like erika-land.

Speaking of less than ideal conditions, even more rain this morning than yesterday but, at a morning high for the year of 51F, who cares?

ps 19/39 Dave - though 18 runners might have thought you were slow, 20 runners thought you were fast. Me too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks.

Jay - are you sending both mowers back?

Enke - what an incredibly kind and generous thing it was for you to donate your embryos to other couples who cannot conceive.  I understand what a difficult decision that would be, but I know you have changes some peoples lives in the most amazing way.  And I am so sorry about Remi - we all know how hard it is to lose our little furbabies.  (((hugs)))

So, I think my happy is finding its way back.  Today I feel a bit more like my normal self, without the black cloud that has been hanging around for weeks.  Part of it I am sure it that I am looking forward to the new job, but my energy seems better, too.  I was able to walk/run 3 miles today, and just soaked in the beauty of the brilliant sunshine.

The foot was a bit achy, but not bad at all.  I will see how it feels tomorrow.  It is still pretty stiff when I first get up, but that may be for the rest of my life.  I may not ever be able to run another marathon, but if I can run even 3 miles per day, that would be something.  We shall see.  I deferred my registration for the September Germantown 50K last year, and got an email from the race director asking me if I would be doing it this year.  I told him I was working my way back and was hoping I could.  It is a two-loop course, so even if I could only do one loop, I would like to try.  The race is one of my favorites, because late September here is usually so lovely in the woods and trails, with late summer wildflowers and green leaves but also some leave beginning to turn colors. but not enough fallen leaves on the trails to hide those roots and rocks that might trip you up.

Here's a picture of DH and I coming home after getting lunch yesterday (DD took the pic).  I know, I know, no helmets, but that's the way most people here ride.  No lectures please....But you can see what a spectacular day it was, and today is another of the same.

May be an image of 2 people, motorcycle and outdoors

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Thanks, Jay.  You seem to be recovering well.  I hope FedEx doesn’t keep trying to deliver the mower!

Ernie- so sorry about your precious fur baby.   It’s so hard….

Last PA run- went the other way on the path and was along the Schuylkill River today.  It was beautiful but humid.  Meeting my son for lunch and a visit to RoadrunnerSports.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

evanflein

Greetings from Austin! We're here for a conference of DH's, and I get to be the "+1" this time. Nice. It's really hot here though, we're not used to that!

Missed a lot and tried to catch up. Jeanne's comment on the Cellcom Green Bay Marathon brought back some fun memories of time with her, Starr and Lon, Holly and Amy. And of course, my DH! I love when he's involved in my marathons. Best support ever! Anyway, I think that's the last time I've seen you guys, other than Holly of course since we've done Steamtown (PA) and Kulia (HI) together after that.

Holly, congrats on the new job. And yes, you should be hourly. Your profession is listed as classified (meaning hourly, not salaried) with the DOL and I always thought you should have been paid overtime. Nice to have the leave benefits and flexibility too. Yay you! And glad you're getting your happy back. And in Alaska, the passenger HAS to wear a helmet. Weird that our laws would be more restrictive than OH.

Starr, that's one helluva storm cloud. Thanks for the reminder that we did Cellcom in 2016; I always have a hard time remembering the years.

Jay, why refuse both mowers? Did you buy one locally in the meantime? Glad to see you're recovering well. You'll be back at it in less than 4 weeks, I bet.

Surly, good call on the set work stuff. I know you liked doing it, but can understand the time sink aspect of it. And nice pic the other day, glad you got to do that AND see your mom!

Enke, I'm sorry about Remi. I remember when you got him. It's the hardest thing to do, but almost always the right decision.

Leslie, I hope they'll let you defer if you need to. I just signed up for the Flying Pig Marathon for 2023, deferred from 2020, then 2021, then 2022. I'm surprised they let me defer again due to injury but glad they did. I just hope I'm up for it.

Ok, sorry guys but that's all I can pull out of my head. Got to head to the fitness room here. I love the Marriott. Good rewards program, wonderful beds, and apparently always a really nicely laid out and equipped fitness room. DH is in meetings but will join me there during his break. After lunch, I think I'll head back to the pool. Got a wee bit of sunburn yesterday so will try to stay in the shade if I can, but dang it's crowded out there!

Great looking bike, Holly! Jim has done a good job with the color coordination, accessories, etc. It's a very clean and classic look. Good looking passenger too, by the way. 

I was also confused by Jay sending both mowers back, but I'm 100% sure he knows what he's doing.

I probably should have done something active this morning before it heated up big-time again, but instead chose to get out the mower and cut the lawn. Our lawn service is again having to wait for their seasonal Mexican workers to be cleared to come in and once again are struggling to get the work done with local hires. I first went with a lawn service when my back was out of order but am reluctant to cancel now because it would be difficult to find a service when I need one.

My DW and I are planning an EZ evening bike ride assuming that the predicted rain hasn't arrived yet.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #957

Doug - I think I told you that the first motor had a flaw in the oil return that blew the engine, so we got a new 131 engine for it last year.  His license plate says MY131.  Oh, and he told me to tell you that my biker name is Axle ('cause that bike don't roll without me)....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

Wishing a fun RA gathering in Boston today. I hope they share pictures.

Yesterday we foraged the burnt forest (wildfires caused) for about 3 hours looking for morel mushrooms.  We came back home with about a gallon on morels.  Today is a day of rest 😀

Posie

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

MurrayM

G'day!

Holly...just gotta say...matching shoes are the exclamation point 

21.1K half marathon...Personal Record...1:56:48

Supposed to start tapering for an upcoming trail race, so thought I would try ending this building phase of training with a bang. The game plan was to maintain a deep but relaxed 2 strides inhale and 2 strides exhale pace and do the run by perceived effort more so than by the watch.

In the first 1/3 had to slow myself down...in the middle third things went smoothly, in the last third things got tougher but had lots of gas left in the tank for the last Kilometre. The game I played in my head was that the 21.1K mark was an aid station in a much longer race, so tried to maintain a steady-Eddy maybe go much further effort.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/8830544317

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly...just gotta say...matching shoes are the exclamation point 

On top of the matching white Levi's - I know, right? DH has a thing about matching (it's like a sickness).  Our DD does it with her BF sometimes, too.  I've always thought it was kind of strange.  I am more into complimentary instead of matching.  But, it makes him happy and does no harm, so I indulge him.  (And I really love the shoes.)

Nancy - nice haul!  I love treasure hunts, no matter the treasure.

DD called us last night about 8pm because they had gotten into a car accident a few blocks from home, as they were returning from kayaking all day.  We drove over to help.  Someone was backing out of a driveway and just plowed right into the passenger side of the SUV they were in. Fortunately no one was hurt. Their friend Matt was driving, and it was his mother's new car.  New as in, purchased 3 days ago.  And Matt was not allowed to be driving it.  We all agreed it was likely totaled.  I bet Matt got into some trouble when he got home last night.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

21.1K half marathon...PR...1:56:4

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/8830544317

Murray - nice "easy" training run at a steady slow pace but there's nothin' slow about running a half marathon distance PR in under two hours. You're going to have so much fun in your upcoming trail race. Is that the one up in Terrace?  Maybe post it in Paul's race calendar and he'll also hot link the RR.

Can your Garmin do a 3-D map of the routes you run up there?

Roch - have a fun trip. Take care.

ps - I love reading about older than me but 161 years older is a new benchmark.

Jay - do either of the delayed lawnmowers cut right next to the edge or do you still have to use a weed-wacker. I remember when we'd order big item stuff like that, my MoPed in 1959, etc.  from Sears Roebuck or Montgomery Ward and be happy if they arrived in two-or-three weekend but not anymore.

ps Holly - when DW made sure that nobody would be driving her new car, sure enough, I let 16yo DD drive it anyway just like I got to for my grandfather's new car in 1959 and, sure enough, she got rear-ended by a speeding driver not expecting anyone to stop just because light was turning red. Needless to say, I got worse than rear-ended.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

MurrayM

Murray - nice "easy" training run at a steady slow pace but there's nothin' slow about running a half marathon distance PR in under two hours. You're going to have so much fun in your upcoming trail race. Is that the one up in Terrace?  Maybe post it in Paul's race calendar and he'll also hot link the RR.

Can your Garmin do a 3-D map of the routes you run up there?

Hi Tet,

Calling todays pace 'easy' is going too far...steady moderately hard but not heavy breathing pace would be closer.

The 21K trail race is the Dirty Feet #2 in Kelowna, BC and is pretty much two climbs adding up to 3,000' then downhill to the start/finish.

https://dirtyfeet.ca/event/kelowna-2

I'll check out Paul's race calendar...haven't looked at it yet.

Don't know if the Garmin 35 is that smart...went for an older, affordable watch so not too many fancy gizmo's.

Checked out the fastest times for the 60+ age group in the Dirty Feet #2 and they are 2:11:16 in 2015 and 2:04:40 in 2019. Got some quick old timers down there!

mrrun

NE meet-up - lots of good food & drinks!

NE meet-up - lots of good food & drinks!

Looks like a fun gathering, Marj! Seems like a long time since my last meetup in Charlevoix (also my last HM).

Well, no bike ride this evening since the predicted showers have arrived, but we might sneak out for a walk if it lets up for a while.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Great meetup picture.

Holly- that’s terrible about the car accident and the new car.  Geez.  Glad everyone was OK.

I’m at the nasty PHL airport (way to early- just the way it worked out) waiting to fly back to TN.  It was a good weekend up here but I’ve exhausted.  I didn’t sleep well either of the nights and I packed a lot in.  I did get to see my son for a couple hours in the middle of today.  He drove down to King of Prussia from the Poconos to meet me.  He still has a lot with which to deal.  It’s going to br a tough haul.

I am not the fashion police, but some of the stuff people wear to fly on planes these days amazes me.  The planes are often cold, for one thing, and I am seeing some people with not much clothing on……. Oh well.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth