Masters Running

40s 50s 60s+ On the Run w/e sometime in January (Read 39 times)

flatland mountaineer

"That time in history when it rained 40 days and 40 nights Perkins County got a quarter inch.." ..........My dad and it has nothing to do with running, see what happens when I start a thread ;-)

Cutback week last still about 22,, worked around a couple meeting days and some really cold weather. The farmer ed meeting I about have to go to and is filled with others like me is always kind of a cold and flu repository and I dread going in cause packed with sickies. Anyway got an 11 miler in Sunday, by monday feeling like crap, then did a 2miler last nite and felt worse so think I better take a couple days off here and get well.

Joe you still out there?

Arla; Dessa thanks you for the compliment, she says she gets that alot, anyway she seems to know it, she is a proud pup! Hope you got a little r and r after putting that ol bunny down.

Leslie how is the foot?

Ev, looks like a nice wintry hike, was that in the Wichitas?

latrs

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

jfa

Hey all.

Thanks for starting us Jim. Nice 11 spot for you.

Been running less and doing some biking ( 20 miler on Thurs) and a bunch of calisthenics. Feels good to mix it up.

Took the option to run the NYC marathon next fall (canceled this year).

Good weekend peeps.

Jim.....yeh, the old joke around here is, "We got 26 inches of rain last year.  I remember that night."   A cutback week and still got in 22....nice.

Yeh, the Wichita Mtn Wildlife Refuge.  A couple of groups go down a couple times a month.  I meet them down there every 2 or 3 months.  I'd like to go more but it's a 3hour drive one way.....and you know what can happen on a 3 hour tour!

Joe....hows the Sandy recovery going?

3 miles for me this afternoon in shorts and T....63F.   The high on Monday is forecasted to be 39F.   I get the best of both worlds in the same week!

enjoy it evry chance you get.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Thanks for getting us going, Jim.

Re the foot - still bothering me, but my MRI is Friday with a follow-up doc appt on the 29th.  Hope they are able to find something.

It's been hard getting in here, but have been running.  So - Friday was quite the day at work.  Went in at 6:30 and didn't leave 'til 5:00, working straight through.  We're dealing with a trust administration where a friend of mine is our client and her sisters on the other side are making life absolutely  miserable for her.  It's very sad as both parents are now gone, and her sisters seem determined to hurt her any way they can.  And theIR attorney seems to have absolutely no control over her clients, which is pretty much our experience with how this attorney works.

It was exhausted by the time I got home Friday, but I did do my 4 miles and my planks, and got in 12 trail miles yesterday.  I can really tell I've been slacking off on the hill work.  I absolutely HAVE to get my act together in that regard, or the 50k I have planned in March will be a death  march (read: LOTS of climbing).

Today is The Hub's bday - 52.  He's cooking dinner.  Ha!

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Les.....hang in there on all accounts...work, foot and running.  Happy Birthday to Shorty!

4miles for me this early aftrnoon, followed by football watching.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

flatland mountaineer

My big week that started out with a bang up 11 miler kinda ended with a fizzle as my cold turned a bit nasty by mid-week when experience told me to just take a few days off and get well. It seemed to work, was planning on going for a little run friday but ended up having a pretty physical outside work day that constituted cross-training that wore me out. Got a good easy run in Sat and 6 miles yesterday and hope to get another 6 in today as no markets and alot of businesses are closed for the holiday so I don't have a lot of work I have to do.

Joe really good to hear from you, I'll bet the bike and other training felt really good after that hard push to 2k to end the year. Glad you are giving NYCM another shot.

Ev if you could get Gilligand to navigate your 3 hour tour you might end up halfway to Colorado :-).  Hopefully some normal weather will kick in as they are about 30-40 percent of normal snowpack in Rocky and about 50 percent statewide. My dad was an old "Cannon Cocker" and did considerable time at Ft Sill as I probably told you. He gave me a quick tour of the Wichitas when I was a kid. Really a cool area, not what people normally think of when they think of OK. Nice 4 miler!

Leslie glad you are able to run some (that would be alot for me). Hopefully the MRI gives you some answers and direction. As per the case, I can relate. Happy birthday Shorty!

Arla I didn't want to post it in the general as it is probably not pc these days among people that don't understand nature but when I said Dessa Lou was fast, I mean she is really fast. During deer season when she was 16 months old hunters had pushed deer seeking shelter in our yard. German Shepards are territorial and these deer were not permitted in her yard. A hunter friend witnessed her flush a full grown white tail doe from our yard and proceed to run down and take down the doe in much less than a half mile. The hunter called me and I got out there in time to break up the fight. More to the story but will leave it at that. We have had wildlife encouter education since and I can call her off any wild beasties she thinks are invading her space.

Have a great week folks.

MTA solid 8.1 this morn.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

In keeping with my resolution to do less traveling this year, I report to you from sunny Huntersville.  On my third trip of the year. Roll eyes  they've all been short, and this shouold actually do it for a while.  Of course, it was in the 60's today, but will be going down into the teens tonight.  since i didn't feel like bringing the full cold weather gear, I'm hoping the TM at the hotel has been fixed and I can vegitate fro a few miles in the morning.

Jim--sounds like good miles, especially so soon after a cold.  hunters ARE not fond of dogs that chase deer--glad Desi is smart, as well as fast.

Lesley--happy Birthday to Shorty.  hope he's making you something good.Wink  Hang in at work--it will get better.  eventually.

I managed three laps around our lake yesterday for a total of 9.4 miles.  In shorts.  In January.  Not normal, but I guess I'll take it.  I think I've only had two snow runs this year--there's always February to look forward to.  I like the new rolling totals on the summary page.  Right now, my last 30 days is showing over 75 miles and i dont think i've ever had a 75 mile month.

Hi to everyone else.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Queen of 3rd Place

ev - sounds like some January thaw out there, hope you enjoyed your "shorts weather". Around here, shorts weather is more like 80, we're still in parkas at 63. You think I'm kidding, don't you...

r2 - that's a cool story about Dessa, although I'm surprised that, being a shepherd, she didn't try to herd the doe. Friends of mine with herding breeds sometimes reports problems with the dogs "herding" kids - heehee.

Joe - I'd bet the biking and calisthenics will be good insurance against injury once you start ramping up for NYC.

Leslie - hope they figure out what's up with your foot. I'm amazed that you got in that kind of mileage with it being slightly off! Hope you and the hub had a nice b'day dinner.

Took a couple days to go to Charleston and "run" the marathon there, but mostly to eat some excellent Low Country cooking. Mmmm...shrimp and grits, hush puppies, oysters...Anyway, it's a nice, small event and very friendly, most of the course was pretty or interesting, I highly recommend it.

Off to put together a lecture...

Ex runner

Arla - My mouth is watering just thinking about the food down there!  YUM!  How'd the marathon go?

Jim - Dang, Dessi IS fast!

4 EZ miles in the late afternoon.  When I run later in the day, the route I take has me doing a decent climb around Mile 2.5 and I have been struggling to run the thing.  Today is the first time in awhile that it hasn't felt like I was gonna die before I got to the top.  Sweet!

Back to work tomorrow, and I suspect we'll be filing a petition with the court regarding the trust admin that seems to be going sideways.  Ugh!  I had almost the whole thing typed up about a month ago, but somehow the original document got corrupted and it won't open.  Thankfully, I had printed out a draft and kept it in the file "just in case."

Have a great week ~

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - I had shrimp and grits three different times. All different and all good. Typically it seems that they make the grits pretty creamy down there (must be the butter), and there's a thin gravy with onions and bacon and "tasso" ham. Then there was oysters and other raw bar kinds of stuff, hush puppies, fried chicken, collard greens WITH BACON AS GOD INTENDED, and all kinds of other good Southern stuff. This may kill my early racing season, I really went for all this stuff.

Ex runner

... BACON AS GOD INTENDED, and all kinds of other good Southern stuff. This may kill my early racing season.

Big grin  Amen!!  On "Diners, Drive-Ins, & Dives," he was at a place in So. Carolina (I believe) and had grits, tasso shrimp, collard greens and homemade.  I was slobbering on the TV screen.

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Shrimp and grits is one thng I've learned to appreciate being down in NC so much.  Barbeque is good, but it seems to translate to other areas better--not quite as special a treat.

I forgot to pack my travel alram clock and very carefully set my phone alarm for 5:30 to get up for a run.  one little detail I missed was the AM/PM setting.  Fortunatley I woke up at 6:30 and made it to the site on time, but the run went by the way.  Oh well.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Queen of 3rd Place

Stumpy - my all-time favorite BBQ place is the Montgomery Inn in Cincinnati, even though I've only been once and it was a road trip and maybe I was really hungry...sure do remember enjoying it. Also Dreamland in Themiddleofnowhere (Tuscaloosa), AL. Dreamland only had ribs. The ribs came with a stack of white bread slices. You could get tea or beer. I think that was about it. There were stray dogs in the dirt parking lot. Very authentic, the dogs were a nice touch.

Leslie - sorry if I'm making you hungry Evil

Got a little achilles issue. I think it was the run through the airport to catch a tight connection after a 4.5 hour flight that got off the ground very late. The quick transition from sitting for hours to sprinting was probably not smart. Anyway, there's a small, slightly tender lump about the size of a cherry right in the middle of the tendon. It BARELY hurts when I run, as in I have to think about it to notice it. I think easy running is ok. However, I'm afraid to do any speed work (I've been fartleking and striding) until it's 100% resolved. Anyone ever deal with anything like this? I'd post in the main section but I suspect everyone will just say "see your doctor".

Ex runner

Leslie - sorry if I'm making you hungry Evil

No you're not.

And as to that AT, I wouldn't mess around with something like that.  Yep, see your doc.  You'd much rather him say, "It ain't but a thang," as opposed to "Well, you messed around so long getting here, you're off running for the next 6 months because that there is tendonitoneusloctious."  And that, my friend, is nothing to screw around with.

It's 6:00 p.m., I'm still at work (okay, I'm staying late 'cause I'm going to a class at church at 7:00, but still . . .), I've been here since 8:00, no lunch break, and this is the first time I've been able to get in here.  I tell you, this trust administration we're dealing with is about to do me in . . .

Rant On

Because the 3 sisters, two of whom are co-trustees, can't get along, I and the paralegal from the other side have to frigging babysit these people all next week in order to get things moving re getting the personal property out of the house.  I was at Bank of America in McKinleyville for 3+ hours today while we all inventoried the safe deposit box and then cashed in the CDs.  Monday I have to go back to McKinleyville in the afternoon so the four of us can drag all the crap out of the garage attic down into the house.  Tuesday I have to spend half the day at the house with everyone, possibly including the beneficiary sister who has created this frigging mess, while the appraiser appraises all the personal property (and don't get me started on that).  Thankfully, I have to leave by 12:30 so I can get to my 1:30 doc appt re my foot, but that just means the other paralegal in our office has to go babysit.  Wednesday morning I have to go back for 3 hours so the same pain in the butt sister can spend time in the house, going from room to room, looking at all the personal property and saying her goodbyes.  Then I have to go back at 3:00 when the movers are there so they can ascertain what will need to be packed up and moved by them.  Then Thursday and Friday - all frigging day - while the three beneficiaries (3 sisters who don't get along) do a lottery dividing up the parents' personal property.  And if it doesn't get completed in those two days, will have to back on the weekend until it's done.  So far at a minimum, it will be 33 hours next week dealing just with this one case.  Aaaarrrrrggggghhhhh!! These women have absolutely no idea how much in attorneys' fees they are racking up simply because of pettiness and spitefulness.  It's really sad.

Okay.  I'm done.

Rant Off

What did I do today exercise-wise?  7 miles this a.m. that need to go down in the book entitled "I Need to Forget this Run Ever Happened."  It was horrible.  I didn't think yesterday's core workout included that much lower body (i.e., legs), but I guess it did 'cause my legs were dead, dead, dead this morning.  . . . . . . . . . .  basically, from the time I got up about 30 minutes ago, it has been what I affectionately refer to as a Suck Butt Day.   . . . . . . okay then . . . . . moving along . . . . .

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

flatland mountaineer

Just headed out for a quick 3 or so to give me 30 for the week, best in some time.

Stumpy hope you found a nice hotel treadmill to get a few miles in.

Arla nice marathon and don't think you have to worry bout treating yourself once to that southern food cooked in "Butta" as Paula Dean says with your miles. I have had single bumps midway up my achilles but at most half the size of yours. The PT's just told me to massage the crap out of it but again just small bumps, guesing you have already dealt with it but I am thinking it is something a pro needs to look at. The pt's also told me even the small bumps were micro-tears, caution advised.

Leslie sorry about the dead legs, bound to happen from time to time especially after a big day the day before be it core work or a big run. Work sounds like a pain in the patoot but at least they aren't your sisters ;-).

have a great weekend folks

MTA got 4.1 so 31.1 for the week :-)