Masters Running

Spring Forward March 8 Runs and Whatever... (Read 479 times)

Well, I'm back after a week of vacation in Colorado. It never snowed and the slopes got hard but skiable. My skiing partner and I skied really hard 5 out of 6 days. In addition, I managed to struggle through running 7 miles three different mornings on the Treadmill - all super slow due to the 10,000 foot altitude. Got in last evening and the hope was to wake up this morning and run 20. But that plan was highly doubtful due to losing 3 hours - 2 hours to the time change (mountain to eastern) and 1 hour to springing forward. But somehow I woke up and went out, not sure of how it would go. I decided to just run easy and get the miles (and hours) on my legs. I ended up running 20.15 miles in 3:06 - a fairly comfortable 9:14 min/mile pace. 20 seconds per mile slower than two weeks ago at A1A. Felt comfortable throughout. The average HR was only 137 - what a dfference being able to breathe makes! 68°F and 61%. I experimented with the nutrition today. 2 GUs - one each at 7 and 14 - along with 3 fig newtons - one each at 5, 10, and 15 miles. This along with my 4 bottle Fuel Belt - 2 with water and 2 with Gatorade. This seemed to work pretty well. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #3309

Wow Bill, nice long run considering the time changes and the lost sleep...WTG. And glad you had a good time sking...I've never done that. Boy, I under estimated the heat and humidity yesterday on my long "ish" run. 10 miles - 9:15 ave pace, which felt like a hard 20 miler. I bonked at mile 8 and just did a two foot shuffle to make it home the last couple miles. And looking at my pace, I most certainly was not running too fast, but the H&H really took it out of me. And the last 4 miles was into a very strong wind that actually was blowing so hard, it almost would stop me in my tracks....that zapped my energy too. And when I was finished and got home, I saw that I was covered in that white salty crust. And knew I was dehydrated because I didn't have to pee until very late Sat night...and that's with drinking some beers at lunch time at Applebees. Guess it's getting closer to the time we will have to start preparing for the H&H conditions...but still better than bitter cold stuff. Out for an easy 4 to 6 miles in a while, which will give me atleast 35 miles for the week, as I inch closer to the 40/40 group. Hope everyone has good runs, and a great day. Normally, I can't get on RA from home...but cool that I could. TimBo Geez, just corrected some stoopid miss spellings....guess my brain was not awake yet.

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

evanflein

Hey nice 20 Byll! That was my plan... just took DH to the airport, and was going to head out early for once and get my run done on the main roads while there's virtually no traffic. But... it's -15 where I'd be doing most of the run, and I'm tired. So, I'm going back to bed. Will try it later. Hi TimBo!
          Hello all! Eight sloshing, and slushy miles with all the Js at 8:15 AM in 46º almost-naked weather. This week I hit 25 miles and felt strong all the way. It’s nice to get some consistent pain-free miles in there and even better to run with my buddies. We chattered, laughed, and did some crying too. Spicy J’s mother died last month and none of us had seen her since the funeral in Puerto Rico. We always begin our runs with a greeting hug and this time we held on tight. Iron J’s father is undergoing chemo for a brain tumor and it’s not going well. The stuff of life is at once horrible and joyous. Iron J and Dr. J are on track for a good Boston effort. Iron J is hitting her paces for a 3:15 and this will be her 12th Boston marathon. Dr. J wants a 3:30 before she turns 49 and may well do it at Boston (birthday is in September). Canada J and I are both building back from injuries, so we discussed plans for the fall marathon season. We are also trying to convince Dr. J that since she’ll be the first in the gang to turn 50, we need to run a celebration marathon in Paris together. Ha! Spicy J was her usual saucy self and even with a heavy heart, she started swearing at us in Spanish if we went too fast. Good running yesterday Holly----you have to trust the training---it works and you are supposed to be fatigued after stringing MP miles together. HAPPY BIRTHDAY. Teresa---I just loved the photo of your son and his teammates. Way to go! SRL---wow, just WOW Welcome back Bill and nice 20 miler there. Mornin’ Tim and Erika. I want to go back to bed now….The kiddo had a 7 AM hockey game this morning and that plus the run makes it seem as if it should be noon or later already. Off to Marietta, Ohio now for work….. Until soon CNYrunner
          PJH

Nice LR Bill! The low HR tells me your conditioning is pretty good. I've tried fig newtons on a couple of occasions and enjoy them too. Problem is I usually finish off the package when I'm not running. Tim - Being away from here for a while, I missed news of your injury. What happened? I always marveled at the strength of your running. No run planned today, but I am thinking about sneaking out for 3 or so easy ones. An overcast, seasonably mild day - IRCs - and very tempting. Good luck to all racers this weekend! PJ

Hill Runner

Good morning gang, I didn't switch over to daylight savings time yet...still holding out. Welcome back Bill & nice run! Erika, I don't know how you run in those temps you are tough...and it's good to see Karin back on the road. It's sunny & 62F this morning already...we will probably se 80's today. 20.03 miles of hills @ 9:21 pace, I've been running an even hillier course than normal because of the road construction but still felt good finishing up....only 6 weeks 'til Boston! Good runs everyone!

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
              Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
              Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning! Welcome back Byll - nice run and thanks for starting us off. I am getting a head cold......so the logical side of the brain was saying stay home and get some rest, the running side of my brain said, just go run a slow easy 6 ..... so that is what I did. 11:07 avg. pace/ 163 avg. HR. Going to go rest now ..... Sleepy

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #957

Teresa – congratulations to your speedy (and handsome) son and his team. Stevie Ray – 199 marathons – you are amazing! Breger – nice 20-miler, especially since you’ve had a busy week on the slopes. Timbo – it definitely takes a little time to readjust to the warmer conditions. CNYRunner – good to see you running with the J’s again. PJH – I like your idea of (4-13MP-4). I may give that a shot for my last 20-miler in 2 weeks. Peter – looking strong! Erika - you have my sympathies at this time of year, when you are just as sick of the winter as the rest of us, but the last to get spring's reprieve. Mary - hope you feel better soon. DH and I had a fabulous dinner out last night before the show, including an unbelievably good artichoke spinach dip, so I felt compelled to run some extra miles today for damage control. 10 easy-paced miles (ave 10:24) in 62-64 degrees. Winds were gusting from 19-37 mph, but they were no bother to me since I was in no hurry. In these warmer temps, the wind felt lovely and exhilarating, blowing my hair back and drying the sweat on my brow: it felt like spring. Smile I was thinking today about growing older, and how difficult the 40’s can be, especially for women. Each year it seems like my wrinkles are growing exponentially, along with my gray hairs. But this group, this wonderful group has helped me so much in so many ways, not the least of which is dealing with my own aging process. You have inspired me to push myself to limits I didn’t know I had, to discover new abilities and strength within myself. Instead of looking at my next year’s birthday as another year older (yuck), I’m seeing it as a new age group, a new competitive advantage in races. While many women my age are beginning to feel over-the-hill, you people make me feel vital and strong, with new PRs to look forward to yet. A very humble and heartfelt thank you.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

King of PhotoShop

Next Sunday is the Saint's half marathon, so we decided just to be on the safe side not to run 12 miles today as we normally would, but to run eight miles and insert 4 x 800 at a moderately quicker pace just to get her to put some more energy into the run for this shorter distance. This worked out pretty well for her and we had a good run. Nice to see Bill back. Peter, what exactly are you holding out for re the time change? Off to Riblet's school book fair. Spareribs
                    stumpy77

Trails are hard!

A question and a notice for the Adrenaline wearers out there. I see that Sports Authority is advertising the 8's for $57 this week. I know the 9's are now out. I put so many miles Roll eyes on my shoes that I'm still working on the 2 pair of 7's that I got last year during a similar closeout. My question is--how do the 8's compare to the 7's? I'm close to replacing one of the rotating pairs and wonder if I should get at least a pair of these or move right on to the 9's. Thanks. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Hill Runner

. Peter, what exactly are you holding out for re the time change? Off to Riblet's school book fair. Spareribs
                        Ribs, it would have thrown off my schedule, I would have started my run at what I perceived to be 4:30AM...that's unacceptable....Big grin I'll lose an hour tonight

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                        Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                        Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Tim, if it's any consolation, I did my 13.6 miler today at a sluggish 9:13/mile, with no H&H to blame it on.....my running has been really erratic as of late. I'm sure springier runs are in our future. Walt
                          Tramps

SRL—c’mon slacker, when are ya gonna do #200? Wink Welcome back Byll. Nice run. Timbo—H&H; yuck. CNY—good to see you doing so well. Sounds like some good running buddies there. Erika—ouch; sorry you’ve still got those kinds of temps. Peter—another impressive 20 of hills. Good job! Holly—great job yesterday and another nice one today. Remember, for runners, being “over the hill” is a good thing! It’s climbing up the hills that sucks. Wink Ribs—nice run; I’m always impressed by your thoughtful planning such as the plan you laid out yesterday. Walt—hang in there. Spring’s a-coming. 15.8 miles in six easy steps. 1. 2.3 miles of warm-up @ 9:07 pace 2. 8K race @ 6:55 (more below) 3. water and breather 4. 1.54 miles @ 9:35, jogging back to meet DW and run with her to finish 5. Gatorade, socializing, drive home 6. 6.9 miles @ easy 8:40 back at home. The race was a surprise. My PR is 35:11 (7:03) set on this mostly-flat course last year. It was 60F and humid when we left home and a little warmer than that when we started the race; not my kind of racing weather. “Forget time, run by feel and don’t worry about it,” I told myself. I went out comfortably hard and, after a mile, found myself running with a guy who’s 12 years older than me who always beats me. I felt good and decided to run with him to see how that went. Mile 2 marker was coming up and we were still shoulder to shoulder. “Either he’s a little slow today or I’m doing well. I better check my watch.” Just before the mile 2 marker I see that I ran mile 1 @ 6:48 and mile 2 was coming in at @ 6:43. Woah, that’s too fast for me; I’d better ease up to finish strong. I ease up and, to my surprise, so does the other guy. We are side by side and swap a tiny lead several times for the next two miles. Mile 3@ 6:59; Mile 4 @ 7:01. We exchange some brief pleasantries along the way but are both breathing hard. After the mile 4 marker he starts to take off and I follow. I’m pushing it now and can feel it. As much as I want to keep up, I tell myself “Don’t do anything stupid. Keep your eyes on the prize. Marathon in two weeks, not an 8K today.” I ease up and finish the last almost-mile @ 6:47 pace. A 34:21 time (6:55) and a nice 40-second PR. On the final kick, the other guy’s still easily in sight, 14 seconds ahead of me. We head to the water table and we thank each other for the good race.

Be safe. Be kind.

TammyinGP

Good morning everyone. Happy Birthday Holly! Your night out last night sounds great! Does the Saint have a goal time? Based on the running you've been talking about Ribs - that you and she have been doing, I bet she races real well next weekend! No running for me today. I have to finish up the school yearbook today, so that 's my primary focus today. DH comes home from his trip tomorrow, so we are anxious to see him. Thanks for all the comments on my RR. No soreness today, but will spend some time doing a coreworkout on the stability ball and some stretching.

Tammy

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Wow Tramps.. that's one strong 8K!! You are so ready! Congrats on the PR! After yesterday's 10K PR I took it "easy" today and ran 17 miles of hills in 2:28:29 (8:44 pace, AHR 148). The 66° and sun made me feel more tired than normal. A nice big glass of chocolate milk as soon as I finished led to a wonderful recovery. This will be a new tradition!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova