Masters Running

Thursdaily, 8.9.18 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Wednesday's workouts:

RunnerKSA (3 reluctant morning miles + 2 post-dry needling, post-work TM miles)

Holly (5 mizzly morning miles)

Dave59 (4 miles in the park, in the rain)

Tramps (5 H&H miles)

anneb (5 morning miles)

Tomwhite (post-physical shooting stuff at the range cross-training)

Pfriese (6 EZ miles to the park & back)

Anzlo (8 EZ hazy miles at dawn)

C-R (tough afternoon run along the Potomac in heat on tired legs)

Wildchild (2.5 mi. walk on repaired knee)

Falconfixer (5 EZ humid morning miles)
    Evanflein (7.3 surprisingly sproiny pre-rain miles)

Fatozzig (40 evening min. of core/ST)

StarrRuns (2.5 lunch hour run/walk miles + 6 post-work, geese-dodging bike miles round the lake)

Mike (post-work 5K with GD + 6 miles at tempo)

More soupy weather all around, it seems. Ugh.

Lots of interesting experiences and perspectives on health insurance. Just goes to show how challenging it is today, depending on where you live, where you work, and who you talk to about policies.

Glad to read that you're doing everything right, TW. Age does produce changes, doesn't it? Keep up the good work, including shooting stuff...

Sounds like a great vacation, Bioguy. Yeah - getting back to 'normal' isn't easy.

Good luck with tomorrow's PT app't, Fatozzig!

Welcome back, Tet, and good luck to the Mrs. I was also wondering (like Holly) why you need teeth work for the apnea device?

Welcome back to you too, Starr. Nice run/bike combo.

I went 7.4 RW miles in 73° muggy weather this AM. It was raining lightly when I started but, unfortunately, it didn't last for more than a mile or so. Don't tell Twocat, but I would'a liked rain the whole way to keep me semi-cool. But no such luck.

Have a greta Thursday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Thanks, Jay.

Mike- I'm sorry, but I know both your Dad and you are at peace since you had that time together at the end.

3 miles this morning.  No weather improvement here, but it stays darker later in the morning so it's harder to make myself get up.....

Greta Thurday, y'all.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Mike--Very sorry to hear about your dad.  No matter what transpired previously, it sounded like both of you had made your peace and hope it makes things easier to deal with.  Good luck as things go on.

Not a lot of running lately.  Waking up to 70°+ and humid every morning for the past several weeks has sapped what little ambition I have.  So, since I've trained so well, I have the corporate 5K this evening at 6:30 with 80°+.  Since I organized it, guess I have to go

We've got a pretty decent plan at work.  We pay 25% of the premiums with a $3K/person deductible.  becasue the company is saving on having a somewhat higher deductible, they reimburse us $1000 of the $3000 if you hit it.  we've used that on DW's knees.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Waking up to 70°+ and humid every morning for the past several weeks has sapped what little ambition I have. 

+1  Not that I could run anyway, but even run/walking is carpy in this kind of weather. And the dew points are supposed to stay in the high 60's through next week. At least the temps are hovering in the mid 80's.

(((Mike))) I'm so sorry about your dad. No matter what kind of relationship you have with your parents, it's always hard to lose them. Try to remember that last beer with him in the hospital.

Hey Starr! Good to see your post!

Carolyn - my only words of advice are "take it easy".  It may seem like the healing process is going smoothly but err on the side of caution. I've been down that path...

Thanks for your recap Jay.

I'm trying to change things up a little. An hour (yes, an hour) of pool running and 20 minutes of laps this morning. Since I worked at the Y for several years, I know a lot of the staff. The lifeguard walked along side of me on the pool deck while I was running in the deep end. That helped. A little.

Big moving sale today and tomorrow. I'm off to sell everything that I put in our garage and hopefully rake in big bucks

Happy Thursday folks.

.....Impressive jylnne......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Tramps

Waking up to 70°+ and humid every morning for the past several weeks has sapped what little ambition I have. 

Welcome to the South.  When I moved here years ago, I remember first hearing someone describe the air as "thick"--something I'd not heard of before. I quickly learned it was very apt. Some days, stepping outside just takes your breath away...and not in a good way. Once a Yankee, always a Yankee, I guess.

((Mike))--It sounds like your father's last few days were a good chance for some closure. Glad they went as well as they could.

Carolyn--you've mentioned your insurance before and I'm always amazed. Totally different world in VA. The ACA options are absolutely terrible. With TriBee's retirement, I lost coverage and am temporarily paying a fortune for COBRA coverage while we figure out what to do next year. It's the eternal dilemma: I'm healthy and make minimal use of health system but what if ....?  Definitely a downside of self-employment.

Tet--some impressive history there!

Jlynne--I think I'd need some music or something for an hour of pool running. That's tough.

20 miles on the bike this morning. I took the easy route and skipped the major hills. Just not feeling it.

Be safe. Be kind.

Quickadder

Not a lot of running lately.  Waking up to 70°+ and humid every morning for the past several weeks has sapped what little ambition I have. 

That is normal weather for me from April through October and without other people to run with and perhaps the mileage game here, I would find it difficult to get out the door so often. Being signed up for a couple of significant races at the end of October may also be a factor

Dew point at 75F and 100% humidity at 5am today. 5.3 easy miles with DD to start the day.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

That is normal weather for me from April through October and without other people to run with and perhaps the mileage game here, I would find it difficult to get out the door so often. Being signed up for a couple of significant races at the end of October may also be a factor

Dew point at 75F and 100% humidity at 5am today. 5.3 easy miles with DD to start the day.

Showoff. 

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Marathon Maniac #957

Kwitcher whining...I LOVE summer!  I used to love autumn, but now I only think about how it leads to winter.....since I HATE to be cold, I will never complain about the heat.... I just move a bit more slowly....

5.2 miles this morning in a very comfortable 68 degrees.

DD started school Wednesday - she is in 11th grade now.  Last night she snuck out after we were in bed until 1am (DS ratted her out).  Ah, and so it begins again.....at least we have the car to take away as punishment now...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike; sorry about your dad. Like others said, you had some time toward the end.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

''Once a Yankee, always a Yankee, I guess''

...I put in the PaperWork to make you Honorary Southerners, but haven't heard back from 'em....

=========

I hate it when they KEEP changing Lab Values

had a 101 LDL,

now they want under 99..........Stop The Madness......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

evanflein

SteveP, check this out: https://www.healthinsurance.org/michigan-state-health-insurance-exchange/

Many states (like Alaska) don't have their own state exchange but let the feds set up one for them. Looks like Michigan is sort of a hybrid arrangement. Alaska only has one provider, Premera Blue Cross Blue Shield of Alaska, who is also our third party administrator for the university's self-insured plan. Best provider network in the state.

Holly, our deductible is $3,000 for a family. With these plans, if you have more than one person covered, the family deductible applies. Our individual is $1,500 but since we have three covered, it's the family $3,000. I actually met it last year in June. First time I've met my deductible in about 7 years and it's in the last month of the plan year. Figures.

I'm kind of in the Holly camp on the warm weather. Where I don't think I could tolerate (at least not at first) the humidity some of you deal with, I love our version of hot days which is upper 70's and 80's. Unfortunately, this summer has sucked big time as being the coldest, windiest summer I can remember. My tomatoes are doing terrible, I have NO squash at all (that's almost unheard of), the carrots are stunted and I have bean flowers but hardly any beans (they don't "set" in cold temps). So, the garden is sort of a bust, although the cool weather loving plants (broccoli, cauliflower, spinach) have done very well. So it goes. I feel like a Cubs fan... next year will be better!

Jlynne, that's impressive pool running. Good luck on raking in the big bucks this weekend.

Stumpy, that's why I hardly ever volunteer for anything. Bad on me, but when it comes time to show up or pull it off, I wish I hadn't done it.

Planning on a longer hilly trail run after work today. Gotta get serious about Equinox which is just a little over a month away!!

Anzlo

After 3 weeks of significant internal digestive discomfort the day after running this AM I felt decent.  So, I decided to go out for an easy 4 miles of run/walk to see how I would fare today and tomorrow.  This is strange territory as I never had problems like this until this year with such limited workouts.  Just barely over 2 weeks out from my 10K event now.  Unless something unusual occurs I am pretty sure to finish it without injury, just slow, which will be my "C" goal for the day; pace irrelevant.  Likely to have some "A" and "B" goals for the event, but those are as yet to be determined, clearly less than any 10K I have done to date however.

God be with those suffering loss, pains, and work stress ... life sucks sometimes.  And don't get me started on insurance companies, enough said on that topic.

Hope your upcoming weekend is a good one !

65+ Bests: 5K-26:11, 10K-TBD, HM-TBD

Mike E you have a heart of gold. Best wishes through this difficult time.

Holly S. and evanflein regarding summer, amen! I love it.

<<Stop reading now unless you like reading about medical problems.>>

As people here know I have not been running for the past couple of weeks, hoping that my legs and back would get better. In the meantime I had MRIs done on both. Yesterday I saw my orthopedist for the results. Here is the little bit of good news. My back pain is not due to age related degenerative scoliosis. I have had scoliosis my whole life and apparently it is not getting worse. That is the good news. It is all downhill from here. I have a severely herniated disk in my back. Way back in 2010 it was just mildly herniated so it has apparently grown worse over time. My orthopedist thinks I should try getting a cortisone injection to see if that helps. If not then it would be off for surgery to try and repair it. Why not surgery right off? Because of the second bit of bad news. I tore my hamstring clear off the bone. The only option (other than hobbling around in pain for the rest of my life) is to get it operated on and reattached. Of course, that may not work but there is no obvious plan B. The doctor said that the recovery time from that operation is about 6 months. After doing some reading, that is the low end of the scale, Apparently 6 months to a year is more like it. During the first several months I will be a prosthesis that my doctor describes as very uncomfortable. It will also pretty much put the kibosh on driving during the time I have to wear it. Once I heal up enough from the hamstring surgery I can try the cortisone injection. If that fails a few months later it will be back on to the operating table.

<<It is now safe to continue reading.>>

In other news, I toss an annual barbecue with a friend of mine and we invite pretty much everyone we know in the area. Plus a few from outside of it too, although they rarely come. It is this weekend so I have to get supplies and start smoking. My friend is a world class barbecue artist and will smoke brisket, pork shoulder and chicken. Plus he will bring along his own homemade baked beans. I will smoke beef ribs, pork ribs and salmon. I will also do several side dishes. Not entirely sure what. I have settled on mofongo and collard greens so far. I will probably add a salad and a celery root remoulade, the latter being a substitute for coleslaw. Shopping starts this evening and cooking starts tomorrow!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

. That is the good news. It is all downhill from here.

Glass half empty - glass half full. That just stinks Twocat  Where is the herniation? If it makes you feel any better, I got 5 more good running years after I had surgery to repair my herniated disk before things went to hell again. And a full hamstring tear? Ouch - I can't imagine the pain you were in! Did you schedule your surgery yet?

I'm really not complaining about the weather, honest. I think it's more the fact that I can't run and I need something to blame it on

$42 in sales so far. It better get a LOT more busy this afternoon!