Masters Running

Toosday's Daily, 3.20.18 (Read 33 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Monday’s workouts:
    RunnerKSA (1.2 early, DARK, streak-preserving miles + 4 late afternoon TM miles)
    Tomwhite (30 min bike ride, with hills)
    Dave (4.06 noon miles in 60° sunny temps + 1 set of core workouts)
    Henrun (4.5 sunny, frigid miles on the Boston Marathon course)
    Spacityrunner (3.2 White House miles in sunny, low 50s weather)
    Wildchild (8 screw-shoe and non screw-shoe miles with 2-4” of new snow)
    Deeze (3.2 pre-work TM miles)
    Twocat (7 miles)
    Mike (9 miles, including 3X2 miles under 6:40 w/ ½ mile rest between)
    Falconfixer (3.2 recovery miles + teaching spin)

Wow, KSA - your friend is retiring at 50? Way too early - he’ll find something else to do.

Enjoy the new Nikon, Stumpy.

Fatozzig - UPS figures their charges, in part, based on ‘dimensional weight’, which means the size of the box is part of the calculation, as well as the weight of it - another case where size matters…

Dave, for as long as I’ve been doing my core work regularly, my back has been stable. It helps a lot, and my back reminds me if I've laid off the core work for too long,

Twocat, I admire your DW’s patience with her sibs and her mother’s house/estate. But one does also have to figure when it is time to move on.

As Henrun said, we have another nor’easter coming - expecting 5-10” of snow Wednesday night. We’re so lucky…

Tet, you sure learned a lot about how you sleep! I’d be afraid to learn my sleeping efficiency.  But Steve P is right about your heart.

Speaking of sleeping, or not - this morning I woke and was wide awake at 3, so got up and worked for an hour before my workout. I went 7.4 RW fartlek miles in 21° temps, with a bit of a westerly breeze. My faster miles were 10:48-10:37, which wasn't bad, considering that I haven't done any speed work in a while. On the other hand, it would take a lot 'o work to crank much more speed out of this body. That's not a complaint; I'm just being realistic.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning, Jay.

Thanks, Jay.   Yeah, he's been in retail loss prevention for 25 years and it's pretty intense.  He's a VP at our company.  He really wants to be at his Florida house most of the year, but I'm sure after a year or so he'll find something where he can be based out of Florida.

3.2 headlamp miles.  It felt early and dark, but did it.     Have a greta day, Masters.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Happy Equinox 2018.

Thanks Jay/Steve.
          One of my law enforcement friends from college

retired after the required 20 years at age 42

and has been a salmon fishing guide

for the last 30 years.  You could say he likes fishing.
          No running today but funny how taking 2:56 to run 13.1 miles

can make a guy as happy as doing it in 1:56 twenty years ago.

See Mariposai’s weekly RR’s.

Speaking of Mariposai, I hope her feet are doing okay.

ps - the way to post pictures is to send them

to your e-mail as DW does for me.

Then simply copy-and-paste into your posts.

. . . . oh well

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Happy Equinox 2018.

Thanks Jay/Steve.

. . . . oh well

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Happy Equinox 2018.

Thanks Jay/Steve.

ps falconer - the way to post pictures is to send them

. . . . oh well

Falconfixer welcome to one of RAs worst "features," picture posting! If you have a Facebook account you can load a picture up there and then copy the address and post it with the picture link in the pop up box you get from clicking on the picture posting icon. There are a few other ways. Google photos used to work, but no more.

On Sunday my DW and I went to a St. Patrick's Day Pops production put on by the New Haven Symphony Orchestra. The vocalist was Cathy Maguire in the gold dress. The music was arranged by my friend Bert Dovo, in the green tie, who was brought out to take a bow at the end of the show. It was a really good show and I think the orchestra's board was really happy with Bert's work.

I ran 7 miles this morning. It looks like our weekly nor'easter will hit tomorrow starting around 8am or so.My DW may work from home tomorrow since the weather may make getting home at the end of the a real challenge. My guess is that one way or another I am going to end up working from home too. The roads will likely be a mess for both my trip in and back and I do not have a pressing reason I have to work at the office tomorrow.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

Retired at 50?  And at 42?  I sure got into the wrong line of work...

Interesting discussion about sick leave. We don't have sick leave, per se, but rather PTO, to be used for vacation or sick time.  I accrue 3.69 hours of PTO every two weeks, and when I reach 100 hours I have to use it or lose it.  Since I tend to make up any time off for dr. appts or such by working evenings or on the weekend (not because I didn't have the PTO but in order to keep up with the workload), I have gotten close to 100 hours and taken an afternoon off here and there because I didn't want to waste it.

7 miles for me on the TM today.

Forecast is for the mid-30's and possibly sleet/snow for DD's 7:30pm lacrosse game.  Brrr...I'll be wearing my parka, but I'm betting there will still be girls on the field wearing only their uniform tank and skirt.  Makes me cold just to watch them.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Happy Equinox 2018.

Thanks Jay/Steve.

. . . . oh well

..I could Swear I've heard this before somewhere......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Yeah- the difficulty of posting pictures is probably my only gripe about RA.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

TammyinGP

Good Morning! 

I was glad to have the day off work yesterday and just get caught up on stuff at home and relax a bit because this is a crazy week for me. Sports Banquet Award tonight after work. Tennis match Thursday after work. Three lunch time CLE's this week (tues, wed & fri) and then the Annual Shelter Friends event this Friday evening - this is an open-to-the-public event at a local venue, with maybe around 100 people that show up and I give a presentation on our non-profits year-in-review, have various guest speakers, food, raffles - just a fun filled evening but so much planning goes into stuff like this. I haven't even outlined my talking points yet so still gotta squeeze that into my week as well. maybe I should have done that yesterday when I was home relaxing 

Tammy

Nice one, Falconfixer re "What can Brown do for you?"

I rarely ship anything, let alone UPS.  On the shipping bill there's a box to mark for "Large."  Well, they're box said "Large" on it, so I marked "Large."  Their system automatically says a "Large" box is 96" x ?? x ?? and weighs 90 lbs., hence the $500 fee.  The $84 fee was too much, as well, but since The Hub had asked me to send it almost two weeks prior, I thought I'd better get it to its destination ASAP.

Sort of dodge a bullet with The Hub's truck.  It's been in the shop since last week, wouldn't start.  Ends up it's the fuel pump.  $850, which is about half of what we were afraid a repair would cost.  His truck is 13 yrs old and has a lot of miles on it.  He uses it every day for his grounds maintenance business, including hauling a heavy trailer with a riding mower, and it's not going to last forever.  We're trying to figure out how to we're going to save up enough $$ to get him a new one, while still leaving enough life in this one to sell it and get some decent $$ for it.

I think Tet was trying to tell us something, but I'm not sure what.

Got in about 45 min of core/ST after work yesterday.  I've been working on my planks and decided to try and lift my top leg while in a side plank position:

Image result for laughing

Oh man, that was a good one!

5 miles this a.m. on the road.  Ack!  A couple of weeks ago I ran 6 miles - 4 of them on dirt - and my legs weren't this tired.  I hate running on pavement.

My buddy, Karen, is basically going from couch to a 50k run in June.  She did back-to-back runs the other day, one of them an 8-miler, and she felt great.  She's five years older than me and is basically indestructible.  If I did that, something would be injured. 

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

-A Strange Occurrence in the SteamRoom-

by tomwhite

..so I'm waiting there for the LearnToSwimKids to vacate the pool...

..the guy sitting on the other bench

says

''I just had a PaceMaker put in''

''how long ago??'' I asks politely

''2-days ago'' he sez

''are you SURE you ought to sitting in a SteamRoom??'' I asks

''oh yeah''

he sez ''but the wires are so tight I can't raise my left arm past chest high''

...I resumed my waiting out in the Pool Area....

no ambulances

were called

so I guess he was OK ...............or Nuts.....

=================

..but I digress.....

40-min PoolRun nb, cf, ris, paw

....Good Running to Ya................we got snow moving in tonite so I may revise my trapshooting plans

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

-A Strange Occurrence in the SteamRoom-

by tomwhite

..so I'm waiting there for the LearnToSwimKids to vacate the pool...

..the guy sitting on the other bench

says

''I just had a PaceMaker put in''

''how long ago??'' I asks politely

''2-days ago'' he sez

''are you SURE you ought to sitting in a SteamRoom??'' I asks

''oh yeah''

he sez ''but the wires are so tight I can't raise my left arm past chest high''

...I resumed my waiting out in the Pool Area....

no ambulances

were called

so I guess he was OK ...............or Nuts.....

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Anzlo

Mike - Nice marathon, and on short notice it sounds like.

Tet - Great job on your St. Patrick's weekend events !  A 14 minute improvement is pretty darn good 

An EZ 8 miles this AM while still chilly at freezing or just above.  On it's way to upper 50's late afternoon but I need to run early.  Rain headed this way the next 6 days but it sounds like you folks in the northeast have yet another snow storm to worry about.  My last two weeks have been 35 and 41 miles and although my legs are fine my digestive system is starting to complain a little again.  Likely only low 30's this week with a long run of only 10-11 miles, we'll see.

Have a great week folks !

65+ Bests: 5K-26:11, 10K-TBD, HM-TBD