Masters Running

Tuesdaily, 4.17.18 (Read 44 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Wow - a 4-pager for yesterday's daily! We don't see that too often. I wish I had time to read it, but I have to get out for an 8AM physical, and then scoot to a 9AM meeting and hope I won't be too late.

I worked in corral #1 at Boston yesterday, and the conditions were not friendly: light drizzle very early on, with heavy spurts of rain by mid-morning, temps in the mid-upper 30s, and a constant (sometime significant) wind blowing right in the face of the racers. There were 4 waves for the start, with 1000 racers per corral per wave. Making sure everyone got to the right wave/corral is always a bit of a challenge, especially because we only have about 10 minutes to load each wave. This year was especially tough because so many racers had their bibs covered by whatever they had on to try to stay warm/dry till the start. Lots of garbage bag 'raincoats' and sweatpants and shirts got tossed just before each wave started. I saw smiling Robin as she was just getting started, and we gave each other a quick wet hug before she got on her way. Of the 80 +/- volunteers for the start corals, there were only 2 no-shows, which was impressive on such a nasty day. I had a great morning, but regardless of the layers I had on, there wasn't an inch of me that didn't get soaked and chilled. Had the best hot shower when I finally got back home!

6 RW miles this morning in 47° with ground fog/mist left over from last night's rain.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

4 miles this morning for me. 34 & a few snowflakes in the air.

The Boston stories are always interesting. A niece of mine was running this year. She now lives in Idaho. Her parents came to Boston from Maryland, a brother and his family from North Carolina, and another brother and family from Ohio. They made something of a reunion weekend out of the race. (Her brother and family in Jamaica did not make the trip so it wasn't a total reunion.) The pictures were great.

We all appreciate you and the other volunteers at every race, Jay.  I have done a lot of race directing and volunteering over my 40 plus years as a runner, and it is rewarding but not always easy!

3 miles on the treadmill on my tight leg.  Seeing a sports doc this afternoon- he's a chiro by degree but does ART and all that other stuff and is highly recommended.  Right near my office, too.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Tramps

Congrats to Boston runners and thanks to the volunteers.

Nasty conditions created strange results. I assume the domination of US runners in the top 20 meant there were tons of athletes who dropped out?  Haven't seen stories on that.   Also, a nice little profile of Sarah Sellers (#2 woman).

Be safe. Be kind.

I think I know why the conditions for the Boston marathon were so dreadful. A friend of mine (not an RA poster) has wanted to run Boston for years. The first time he qualified he signed up. Then during the winter he was helping to clear out his DD's backyard of leaves and other debris by tossing it down a ravine in the back of her property. It turns out there is an old semi-collapsed fence buried back there. It caught him, dug into his leg and fractured his tibia (?), the top of the shin bone. No Boston that year. Next up post healing another marathon to qualify with. A few weeks before he managed to get injured. No qualifying time, no Boston. Next year, he finally qualifies! Yea! Signs up for Boston. Manages to stay healthy. So the universe had to pull one more stunt to try and stop. That is why this year's race may go down in history as the year with the worst weather ever.

tetsujin209 there is actually software you can use to detect plagiarized material. It looks like we will end up getting a university wide subscription for it.

coastwalker you are a hardy soul to have made good on your volunteering duties at yesterday's race.

Today all I had time for was a little strength training. My hamstrings are feeling better than I have any real right to expect. I am going to a conference on Thursday down in Texas. I may try to put in a few miles on Friday while I am down there and have a chance to explore someplace new.

In case it slipped your mind, join the Rosie Ruiz Fan Club for this year's Reach the Beach Relay on September 14 and 15! We need you!!! We are not looking for speed. Just a group to throw a 30 hour party with in a couple of vans. So join today! Just send me a message via the RA messaging system and I will get back to you. If you have my regular email or prefer sending a Facebook personal message that is fine too. I can guarantee you will have a great time. That or you are clearly in need of psychiatric help!  Remember the sooner you sign up the less you pay!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Twocat- where in Texas and where are you staying?

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

TammyinGP

Morning all.

2 miles on the TM last night. Shin still tender but it didn't bother me at all when running, nor feel any worse after. granted, it was only 2 miles though. Will run 3 tonight and see how that goes.  It's funny how incredibly ackward I felt running on that treadmill. Absolutely could not get a nice effortless stride going at all, until mile 1.5, THEN I finally felt like all the movements were working together. So, I basically had a clunky 1.5 mile run and a good .5 mile run last night.

Tammy

I haven't used a treadmill in so long, I'd probably fall off.

Jay - Huge kudos to you and all the other volunteers yesterday.  Bleck! Nasty conditions.

2Kitty - Very happy to hear your hammies aren't singing so much of the blues.  Fingers crossed their move into zippy jazz will continue.

5 miles this a.m. with 8 x 15 sec springs in the middle/toward the end.  My legs are feeling the mileage increase over the past few weeks.  I'm glad a taper is in my future.

This morning I listened to my favorite podcast, Trail Runner Nation, and their guest was physical therapist and author, Jay Dicharry. Some really great information about rewiring your brain to run with fewer to no injuries, the importance of strength training and plyometrics but incorporating them appropriately, giving your body time to adapt to running, or re-adapt to running after a layoff, etc.

I purchased "Anatomy for Runners" a few years back and need to revisit it.He put out another book last year, "Running Rewired", that I think I'm going to purchase.  Lots of great information in an hour-long podcast. Well worth checking out.

The Hub and I are going to one of those "just come listen to our shpeel, you'll get free gifts, and don't have to buy anything" things.  They're supposedly going to give a $100 Walmart gift card to all who attend, a 3 day, 2 night hotel stay (hope it's not at the local Red Lion where the shpeel is being held), and everyone qualifies for one of 4 other "amazing!" gifts, including a chance to win a new truck.  I think it's a new on-line vacation planning company.  We're expecting the hard sale, but we're mostly going out of curiosity and we have nothing else to do this Tuesday evening.  I'll let you know if we win that truck! 

Enjoy ~~

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Anzlo

I had a comfortable 8 miles in cool weather with a drizzle in the air at times this AM.  Tomorrow I plan something I haven't been doing for awhile, running all run instead of run/walk at a whatever I feel like pace.  I will warm up for 2-3 miles with run/walk mileage first.  I am going to need more of this during the next five weeks if I want to all run my 10K at the end of May.  I haven't been doing much all run mileage since my last HM, last August, could be interesting.

Have a great week folks !

65+ Bests: 5K-26:11, 10K-TBD, HM-TBD

RunnerKSA Horseshoe Bay Resort, 200 Hi Cir N, Horseshoe Bay, TX 78657. Are you in the area? I am only arriving Thursday afternoon and leaving in the middle of Saturday. I really should have arranged to leave Sunday. My DW asked why I did not. The only good answer is because I am an idiot. 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

...not much here..

the 70-degrees never showed up

30-min token bikeride

=============

..just heard

Harry Anderson

from ''Night Court'' passed away..

...............we're losing a lot of great comedians these days

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

catwhoorg

Labrat

5 miles for me at lunch.

Still snowed under at work, rather than weatherwise.

Unlike this freakishly long winter, there is no end in sight to my personal blizzards.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

In 2013, 19 wildland firefighters from Prescott, AZ, were killed in the Yarnell Hill Fire.  In 2016, the Granite Mountain Hotshots Memorial Park opened in honor of the fallen men, the first and only memorial park in the state.  The Memorial site is a 7-mile round trip hike up into the hills to the location where the men died. Here are two great reads:

Granite Mountain Hotshots State Park

What to Expect at the Park

Mike Rowe has a FB show called "Returning the Favor."  The latest episode revolves around a mother and a wife, both of whom lost a loved one in the fire and who started the Wildland Firefighter Guardian Institute.  Unbeknownst to me, and I'll bet most people, wildland firefighters are severely under-budgeted, have to provide some of their own equipment, get by on half-assed equipment, etc.  The Institute is working to raise awareness of this problem and raise funds to help firefighters purchase the equipment they need.

Returning the Favor commissioned a local artist to design and install a statue in honor of the fallen men at the base of the park.  If you're on FB, it's well worth watching the episode.

I hope to someday be able to visit the memorial ~~

Leslie
                            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Good Day, RA's

Uh-oh, I see that several of you ignored the Rule Number 1 from the Book of Running yesterday!  I think Paul gets a pass because it was a race, but what were the rest of you thinking?  What an awful race to run or volunteer at, maybe worse for the volunteers!  The stories are great,  I didn't get in on any of the Boston mania since it was crazy busy here taking in $$$$ in cash payments (it was the due date).

Twocat, I am happy that you aren't having any pain in your hamstrings.  Have a great time in Texas.  There is a Horshoe Bay Resort near Walker, MN---you probably don't want to go there now though.

Tammy - treadmills are like that for me too but I never get into a rhythm.

Leslie - I hope you win a truck!  Wouldn't that be fun.  My daughter actually won a car one time, but I think I mentioned that before.  It was an online sweepstakes.

Anzlo - if you slow your pace you should be able to run the whole way.

tomwhite - 70° would be nice. Is that your normal temperature for April?

MrStarr lost his camera and needs it for work.  He used the good camera and I had trouble with the disk not reading/copying files into the computer. Very strange.  It is a good thing the camera has wi-fi so I could send them via email.

Well, it actually did stop snowing on Sunday but there is snow everywhere.  MikeE, I think you got more than we did but...... 4-6" more coming tonight.  I think I will move to Alaska!  Actually it is sunny melting today, yeah!  I'll have time for run/walk after work.  I still haven't gone by the spot where I fell, I'll wait until all the snow is gone!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

6 miles earlier than usual; going to Sacto to pick up a Japanese soaking tub this afternoon.

Plagiarism; At some point it will be impossible to convey a concept or describe a piece of history without using words previously written by someone else. One million chimps with one million typewriters for one million years and all that. Rote memorization is plagiarism, yet it is still a revered portion of education. Agreed that cutting and pasting stuff from articles to "create" a paper is not acceptable, but would it be acceptable if the student could also orally regurgitate the info and concepts of the paper without notes?

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying