Masters Running

Sunny Saturday (Read 38 times)

Good morning Masters!! Sunny and crisp here in MA, no recap sorry

4 mile power walk with a Sole Sister - love having someone I can push the pace with and yet talk the whole time!!

Stopped at the local donut shop to pick up a Boston Cream and coffee roll for my dh - his bday is tomorrow so let the celebrating begin!!

Have a wonderful weekend friends!!

denise

Dave59

I like to run around in my little Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder so I put the top up and drove it out into the elements for the first time since I got it. I went to a park in Hurricane WV and ran/walked 4 miles. Last mile was mostly walking because I had planned on 3 but didn't feel like going home yet, so I grabbed a water from the car and walked around for another mile.

Hey, the Buffalo Sabres won last night. Since they never fell behind by 2 goals, I ended up watching the whole game and stayed up to 10:00. Late for me. They had lost 5 in a row and I was starting to wonder if they were going to try and lose 18 in a row like last year.

Thanks, Deez.  On the road.  I ran 3.3 miles before we got going. Stopped briefly in Kingsland GA for donuts and a quick charge for the car.  On boring I95 heading north now.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Hi peeps,

I apologize for being scarce around here; work is all-consuming. My running is going well, though, and Herr W and I are on track to run the Seattle half in a couple weeks. Tetsujin, please email me (rirvin at uoregon dot edu) and we can figure out a meet-up. Anyone else in Seattle?

I found an all-comers meet clipping from the newspaper from when I was 11 or 12 years old. I don’t recall ever winning any races at all-comers meets (I had saved a lot of 2nd & 3rd place ribbons, so there ya go), but for this one I had won the 880 in 3:05. Nice work for pre-teen Econo! I was never fast-fast, but to this day enjoy being “not bad for a woman my age.” Smile And honestly, just  showing up and crossing the finish line of any race makes me happy.

Go Leslie! The rest of you  — go you!

I found an all-comers meet clipping from the newspaper from when I was 11 or 12 years old. I don’t recall ever winning any races at all-comers meets (I had saved a lot of 2nd & 3rd place ribbons, so there ya go), but for this one I had won the 880 in 3:05. Nice work for pre-teen Econo! I was never fast-fast, but to this day enjoy being “not bad for a woman my age.” Smile And honestly, just  showing up and crossing the finish line of any race makes me happy.

My older brother took me in to an all-comers at Hayward field when I was 7-8. I remember not being able to finish the 220 without walking, and scratching all my long jump tries because I didn't understand you had to take off from the white stripe; not the cement lip at the edge of the pit (better for pushing off!). This was on the yellow track, Pre was still alive, and we also went to see him run at a meet, but at that age I wasn't very interested. in later years, Summers in college, I'd go to the all-comers meets and run around 3:50 1500m and 1:50 800m and get like 6-7th place. Never a ribbon for me! 

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Quickadder

Thanks for the start, Deez. Sunny and crisp here in Louisiana too - 46F and 42% humidity this morning - not the usual heat & humidity.

Still taking walk breaks, but less frequently and shorter duration. Completed 5K in under 30 minutes for the first time since January.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

Henrun

2.6 miles on a sunny, cool morning after a deluge all day yesterday. Did a bit of walking in the rain to catch the Boston Symphony after a stretch session.

BTY, my dad was a big track fan, so he took us (3 little Econo sisters) to see Pre run (at Hayward and once at OSU). Papa Econo gave my big sister a quarter to go down to the track and get Pre’s autograph, which she did. Smile

Marathon Maniac #957

Hey folks.

Foot is complaining, so just about 20 minutes of lower body weights today...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Econo - looking very much forward to seeing you up here again for a third SM I think recalling (1) the Pink Door Burlesque dinner show you took Little Econo to too and (2) my 100th mariposai arranged complete with your surprise guest.  Did you do any running when you were going to the UW.  Can you get a job up here?

Papa Econo gave my big sister a quarter to go down to the track and get Pre’s autograph, which she did. Smile

Econo - neat.

I bet now that autograph's

worth more than a quarter.  \

One of the reasons I hated running so much until I figured out in 1977 that regular people can run marathons too was that my younger sister by two years would always beat me in the kids' Fourth-of-July 50-yd dashes, etc.

Hey, the Buffalo Sabres won last night.

. . .

They had lost 5 in a row . . .

Dave - I think even the Kraken beat the Sabres during their first losing streak.  So far, the Kraks've only gotten up to four in a row but'll be going for four more tonight and could get to five too the next game after that.

two miles - since the rain had abated by the time I got up at 5am, after one mile up in the Hillside Park carrying two buckets of earth/gravel fill for where I shored up the eroding side of the doggy path at the point the little drainage pipe crossed under the middle of the 33 step stairway along the Upper Trail, I went down for another mile to the lakeside to see the first sunrise in three-or-four weeks but the marine layer rolled in to block the horizon so guess I'll have to wait until next year or something.

\\May be an image of nature, body of water and twilight

May be an image of outdoors

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

BTY

Hi Masters,

Rest day for me today, other than getting the cordless lawn mower going for just long enough to not quite finish blowing the cut grass and leaves to the curbside so the village can come and collect them with the big vac truck next week.  Battery is recharging and hopefully I'll get it completed tomorrow sometime but I have no idea when.

Our kids are throwing us a 30th Anniversary Party today.   It's at a place in the Hilltowns of Albany County not far from us, at a place called Maple on the Lake.   It used to be a German cuisine restaurant named Zwicklbauer's and then it was Scholtz' Hofbrau.  It retained two German menu items, but is mainly now a place to eat American cuisine.  I think the kids picked three Italian entrees from their catering list, penne al a vodka, maybe chicken park, something else....it's going to be fun.  Our daughter who got married in the spring is in charge of music and entertainment and her brothers are in charge, I think, of staying out of her way.

MurrayM

Sunny? What's that????

15K north coast drizzly wet run today.

Achilles issue 98% resolved. Calf muscle is now loose with only one small specific tender spot left. When stretching it isn't tight on one side anymore.

Won't be doing any serious hill work for a while yet, just happy to have made it better while at the same time increasing distance each week. It's been 5 weeks since it first flared up.

Thanks for the start, Deez, and we'll forgive you for the "no recap." This time...

Dave, losing 18 in a row is only one more than what the Lions might "achieve" this year, beating their previous 0-16 record only because they added a game to the schedule.

I had a good night's sleep for a change but was seriously unenergetic on the treadmill this afternoon, managing a bit over 2 miles at about a (slow)  20-minute pace. I would have done better outside, but the weather isn't cooperating: kind of a raw day with overcast, drizzly skies and a stiff breeze. Pre-winter is here at last!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

moebo

BTY, congratulations on your very successful swim yesterday. It must feel so satisfying to have your training pay off like that. I hope you are having fun at your anniversary party!

I was not much of a runner in my youth, so I definitely don't have any ribbons or newspaper clippings about past performances. In a way that's probably a good thing, since I have very low performance expectations now... I am just happy to be able to get outside for some exercise!

This week I ran Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. I am loving the later sunrises--the pre-dawn sky has been gorgeous during my runs. Except yesterday--believed the rain timing provided by my weather app and went out despite my better judgment when I saw that it was 59 degrees out. Who can pass up that kind of weather in November??? When I felt the wind I knew I was in for some wild weather. Down at the beach, the waves were crashing right up onto the boardwalk, so much fun! The sky opened up and the rain came pouring down when I was about halfway done, so I ended up with a soaking. But well worth it! We did end up losing power for about 7 hours later yesterday though.

This morning got in 5.1 before heading out to do some long overdue clothes shopping. Scored some great new things that I will definitely wear more than 5 times.

wildchild

Carolyn

Howdy masters,

I got to run a Colorado Masters Running Association race this morning!  6.7 trail miles on a pretty day, 50s at the start and 60s at the end.  I felt pretty good and finished in 1:14:58  (11:12 avg pace).  Not sure of my AG placement because they got confused on the timing and said they'd post results later, but it doesn't really matter. I saw some good friends and had fun!  I swept the 2nd half of the course after the race for another 3.4 miles.

I don't like speed work much, so I used to use the Masters races every month as a reason to run fast.  Almost all my other races are ultras, so no need for speed.  Since the pandemic started, I haven't been doing races, so also not doing any speed work.  It's kind of hard to get back into the groove, but fun to run fast (ish) again! My first and last miles were under 10 minutes/mile, which I know isn't fast, but felt good!

Hope you're all enjoying your weekend!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.