Masters Running

Monday morning Boomer runs and whatever ... (Read 459 times)

Anyway, a decent run this morning.  2 miles warm up.  3 miles at short tempo.  2 miles cool down.

The target tempo paces on this new plan (8:10 short tempo and 8:37 long tempo) are quite a bit slower than other plans' tempo paces.  But that's okay.  I'm sure the difference is in the intent of the run.  And I'm sure Coach is going to do a more than sufficient job of kicking my butt before he's through with me.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Morning, gang!

Bill - no need to chill - your intentions were good, and you didn't mean to hurt feelings. 

Congratulations to all of our Seattle marathoners!!

My week in DC was wonderful - the running trails in the DC area are awesome.  I got to run every day - 7 to 8.25 miles per run.  I visited Abe a couple of times - I love running on the National Mall.   The hills and humidity were challenging - I loved every minute. 

The weekend weather wasn't as horrible as predicted - I managed 18 miles on the Airline Trail Saturday morning - humid but not too hot.   7.75 miles this morning - again a bit humid but temps in the mid-60's.  The rain started as I was finishing the 5th mile, but it felt good.  Looks like the osprey chicks have hatched. 

Good runs all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

4 miles this morning at 4:30. Wish I could say I ran them at a 4 minute pace to keep the symmetry, but unfortunately that was not the case.  Nice morning, anyway. 64°, breezy and low humidity. Have a good start to the week everyone.

"older but not dead yet"

5 miles easy listening to music when Pink Floyd's "Comfortably Numb" comes on and I immediately connect after visiting my father yesterday and reflecting on what he's thinking since his mind is okay but his body is paralyzed. Those reflections inspired me to write the following:

Hello in there

I gently stroke my hand on my father's head - the good side
          The one not paralyzed. His good eye sees me and its window opens
          To the mind that I have just awakened
          "Pops, hello! How do you feel?"

He weakly answers "Good" as I wonder what's really going on in there
          If I could only ease his pain
          Put him on his feet again
          Run with him just one more time.

Only half of his mouth moves, his lips weakly trying to form words
          How I wish I could promise him he'll get better
          But he's comfortably numb - I don't know what that's like
          I tell myself I don't want to go like this

When I was child I caught a fleeting glimpse of what it meant to be a man
          I cannot put my finger on it now.
          The child is grown, the dream is gone.
          I have become comfortably numb

"Hello, hello, is anybody in there?"
          His good side answers, "Yes, I'm still here"
          Like you are now
          Comfortably numb.

Alex

Seeking the interface between the cerebral and the visceral.
          Mariposai

My heart is still in a bubble. What a great weekend we all had in Seattle (btw, there was no feelings hurt, we were just joking...sorry Bregarcito..my apologies and butterfly hugs to you and now I feel bad that you feel bad Thanks for all your caring tracking...I know it meant a lot to all of us.

There was so much laughter and talking and eating and drinking and running and dreaming going on at the gorgeous house by the lake Washington. I know the stories will come here one by one. For now I just have to say that I am blessed to be part of your lives. You guys are awesome.

Will do tai chi today. I am taking this week easy to recover. All that dancing dove and I did will require some extra recovery time hehehhe.

Tammy... you are a M>A>R>A>T>H>O>N>E>R

Timbo you are a M>A>R>A>T>H>O>N>E>R

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

No run for me today.  After being dropped off at the airport yesterday by the lovely Mariposai and her DH at 10:00 am, Seattle time, I got home just before midnight Eastern time, a little jumbled by the time change and long travel day.  A great weekend, memories which I will savor for a long time, but it’s good to be home again.  Up at 6 and back to work today, if a bit yawning.

Re tracking – I think the lesson here is that when we have a big group running a race like this, we need to post our bib numbers the day before, so that anyone interested in tracking has access, especially since we don’t always know each other’s full names, and then no one gets missed in the confusion.

Sarge – congratulations on your AG award in yesterday’s 10K!

CNYrunner – congratulations on your 1st AG win!

Dg – it sounds like the careful approach is really working well.

Happy Monday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Savoring the first Monday of life on "Summer Time."  Up early to do some writing, more unpacking/straightening up, and a few calls related to, believe it or not, school.  Now I'm at the library kicking back a little before heading over to the bay.  My training plan calls for a rest day, but a leisurely paddle will be more restful than not being on the water on a beautiful day like this.

I rode my bike yesterday for the first time this summer and had a blast.  Without pushing myself too hard, I rode 10 miles and it took me 10 minutes less than it did last summer when I was riding all out most of the time.  And I'm not sore at all today.  My running progress feels so slow and miniscule, it's a real boost to have a renewed sense that my fitness has improved.  Now I just need to remember that when I hit the boardwalk in my running shoes tomorrow morning!

Can't wait to hear more about the adventures in Seattle.  I love hearing from everyone and I'm so pleased (OK, and a little envious) that ALL of you ran so well and had such a terrific time.

Have a terrific week, everyone,

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Good Morning All!!!

I agree with Holly we should have posted all our bib numbers the day before...I guess so much going on!!! Next time we'll be better prepared!

I was searching through the crowds during the race looking for familiar faces: saw Erika and Holly in the  first out and back, Dave twice  and Robert...who could miss him in pink...!!  I'm sorry I couldn't hang out by the finish line  but I got a ride home with my friend who had already been waiting for me for hours having run a fast half.

Looking forward to pictures and reports!!!

Francesca 

Boy, Aamos got us good yesterday!  That rascal.

Congrats to all the racers, and big time congrats to those who did their first ever marathon.  Woo hoo!

It's a rest day for me, but will do some x-training at lunch of after work to get a new pair of trail shoes.

Have a great week, folks ~

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Morning or is it afternoon?

3 miles, two dogs, 30 minutes

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

In some ways I wish it was still morning...I have too much to do today....aack. Ah well.

11:00 am run for me after some morning conference calls. Humid and overcast, but not beastly. 5.5 miles of recovery running at 8:54 pace while listening to "Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me" and laughing hysterically----tough to laugh and run sometimes! Legs feel okay---not sore after yesterday's race, but no spring or bounce either. All fine. No official results from yesterday yet, but I did write a report in my log and included as much as I could remember of the race details. 

Nice tempo paces Bill

Welcome back to the all the Seattle racers---share more!

Thanks for your poem Alex. My father's stroke left him severely hemiplegic on his right side and yet his expressive nature was fully there in his eyes. You've captured what's happened quite eloquently if not poignantly.

Keep savoring summer Eliz and all!

The sun is out the sun is out----worthy of celebration here in rainy Massachusetts.

Henrun

Rest day today. Yesterday did my longest run since Boston and faster than usual-8 miles. Of course, I picked the hills of Heartbreak and my back hurt last night. Fine this morning.
                          On Wednesday I plan to run wearing my red maple leaf shorts in honor of Canada Day-an annual running ritual.
                          On the 4th (if it doesn't rain) we're invited to a cookout by Marj's son. They'll be camping at a state park. Of course, we found a race on the way there (so, it all depends on the weather).

Edit/Delete Message
                          Mariposai

I am so wishing I had taken the day off from work today to just relax, enjoy the post- party and post-marathon effect and to be able to post an RR, but slaving away I am here at work.

But here is a quick summary of my weekend.

Thursday night: we showed up at “the house” by 11pm. We were greeted by Erika and Peter, Tim from RA, Aamos from RA, Tammy and her friend Laura. The party was already way on its way. Aamos and I kept it going until 4am. We sat by the lake and chatted the night away and welcome a terrific new day.

Friday: We had a luxurious breakfast waiting for Holly to show up. Then we went to the expo and came back to get ready for dinner. Francesca, from RA and her DH showed up with the best lasagna this side of Italy. That night Divechief, Mike and Runrwife joined us as well. We ate; laugh and our spirits were content.

Oh, and we did make sure Erika had her timing device on her shoes.

Saturday morning: I was so excited to see our first time marathoners ready themselves for their race. Tammy looked faboulous as always. After a nutritious breakfast, we left the house by 6 thinking we would get to the starting line by 6:10. But we with 25,000 other runner were trying to make there on time, so we got trapped in traffic until 7:41. It was surprising to me that not one person in the group was upset about our late start. All of us had some racing goals in mind, but we were all so calm about it. Running to the starting line was not an option since we were about 3 miles from the starting line.

We started the race 41 minutes late and the rest is history.

Dove and I danced and ran the whole way together. Our running was in sync, step by step, breath by breath. Chatting away about our past, present and hope for the future. That woman is pure gold inside and out. Just hanging out with her makes you feel stronger and more powerful.  

So...why did we run together??? and waisted our time dancing???

...that is a story for another day.0

But we had NO white gloves sighting...the whole weekend.

and never had the chance to meet Mr and Mrs. Forward either.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Dancing is never wasted time....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

But we had NO white gloves sighting...the whole weekend.

Yes, what's up with that?  I came 2500 miles, and went home without a single Stevie Ray hug...

You know, I think he did the same thing at the Air Force Marathon in 2007 - ran it, saw me there, but didn't even say hi.....(sniff, sniff)...I am not feeling the love here....