Masters Running

Lincoln Marathon report (Read 194 times)

selb3

Well, it was a very nice day for a marathon. Start time temps in the low 40s, with little wind, a promise of temps. in the 60s with sunshine. Between the marathon and half-marathon, this was the largest field ever for Lnicoln, over 6,000 total runners. Unfortunately, your reporters performance did not match the wonderful event or conditions. Without rehashing my disappointment, I will say the first half went by in acceptable fashion, 1:52:34. The second half went, well... shall I say.... rather cruddy. Just kept slowing, and slowing, took a few walk breaks ... leading to an overall finish in 4:06. My slowest marathon in quite awhile. I will dissect and do a full post-mortem, re-evaluate the training (or lack thereof - I know this could be better) and come up a training game-plan for the next one. Right now, I am going to try and take a bit of a break, and recover, rest, and get mentally re-focused. On the positive side. I feel pretty good today. It was my 11th Lincoln Marathon in a row, and 27th overall. I was running Lincoln as part of TNT, I am a coach. So after my race, I recovered for a bit, then headed back out on the course, swimming upstream so to speak, and helped to bring in our purple team members to their marathon finishes. I would run a bit with each one, sometimes a short distance, sometimes another mile or so. A rewarding end, getting to see the finishes. Cool Dave
      Dave - thanks for sharing. I've watched other TNT coaches during races and keep thinking that it must be very personally rewarding. Sorry the race didn't go as well as you had planned, but you've certainly got a great attitude. Enjoy the rest and recovery!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

I love to run!

TNT is a great organization. You are doing a good thing. Sorry that you didn't run as well as you would have liked, but you did do well in my book! Smile
        One More Mile

King of PhotoShop

Your time is less important than the valuable contribution you are making to those less fortunate. Good for you to help with TNT, and any finish where you are still healthy is a good finish. Nice work Dave. Spareribs
          TomD

Missed seeing you, but there were so many runners. It was hard to get by slower runners on the bike path too. Maybe the time was slow for you, but I bet it was very nice to help so many others. I was about 40 minutes behind you. TomD
              Dave, maybe it wasn't what you wanted, but it was still good. It's neat you had enough left to get back on the course and run with some of your TNT runners. I'm also glad to hear that TomD was there even though you didn't see each other. Congratulations. Tom
              btb1490

Dave, Spareribs summed things up perfectly. Your performance isn't always judged by the time clock. With that said, you can do everything in training perfectly and still fall short of your goal on race day for no good reason. Just keep doing what you're doing. Great job!
                SteveP

You fininished. Then ran some with your team!! Sweet!!!!!

SteveP

The Jogger

Well Dave, I would be over the moon with that but you didn't only run the race and finished well, you went out to encourage others. Excellent Roy
                      Thanks for the report. Life is a great teacher. When you run a race 27 times, not every one of them is going to be quite as satisfying as others. The fact there will be a 28th gives hope that the next one may be better. Thanks for your example. Joey
                      Vista
                        Dave, Great marathon. May not be as fast as you can go but you enjoyed it so much as I can tell by reading your report. Way to go Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

PJH

Thanks for your RR, Dave! Sorry you had such a tough day. After 27 marathons, I'm sure you're getting pretty good at pin pointing reasons for performance - good or bad. Don't hesitate to share what you learn on this one. We could all benefit. Btw - nice job as a "coach" ...very rewarding stuff! PJ
                          Mariposai

Congrats in yet another marathon finished, wow 27 of them!!!!! You have my admiration. I would be very interested in learning about your findings post-postmortem. Have been there and would like to know how to avoid it next time. Thanks for making a difference in someone else's live. Wink

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Dave, At the Flying Pig Marathon I saw a lot of TNT people trotting back up the course, offering encouragement and support - a commendable sight for sure. Congratulations on finishing another marathon. Even if it wasn't a peak performance, you went the distance.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

You are such a greta coach! I was so glad when you ran with me for a bit at Omaha. Will look forward to your report later about what went wrong, but I agree that the TNT cause is such an important one, and you embodied the spirit of it by going back out there even tho you were disappointed for the moment. 11th in a row--don't they acknowledge that in some way at some mark, is it 13? Big grin Big grin grins, A
                                Masters 2000 miles