Masters Running

Fridaily, 6.1.18 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

I hope everyone gets the new month off to a good start.

May's last workouts:
    RunnerKSA (2.5 early, liquid miles)
    Dave59 (2 morning miles)
    Spacityrunner (1.4 EZ neighborhood morning miles w/ no meltdown)
    Fatozzig (4 morning miles with cranky hammy)
    C-R (EZ 10K at lunchtime, feeling better + 1.1 mile lawn-mowing cross training)
    Evanflein (7.2 miles with shorter stride at 8:47 pace)
    Stumpy (3.1 morning lake miles)
    Mike (7 escape miles)
    Falconfixer (4 miles with the TR)
    Mariposai (8 post-work mountain miles)

Good luck today, KSA.

Have fun at the wedding and “somewhere rustic” in MI, Dave.

Are you heading to the beach house, Bioguy?

I hope the leg tugs work, Fatozzig.

Good for you and DH for helping DD’s friend, Holly. Hard situation for a 17 year-old. She'll remember your generosity for a long time to come.

I’m glad the shorter stride is helping, Evanflein. It’ll be interesting to see what the long term impacts (if any) are from making that change. Meanwhile, congrats on the good run.

Thanks for volunteering at Special Olympics, Stumpy. They are always inspiring events.

This’ll all pass, Mike. But it does just suck when it all happens at once, doesn’t it?

Good job of balancing all the work chores, Mariposai, and paying it off with a good run.

Steve, I continue to admire your life and work ethics. Great photo of the fam.

I got a good night's sleep last night, woke up early, and went out for 7.2 miles in muggy 63°. I alternated EZ RW and running miles. My cadence was about the same in both, but my running pace was about a minute faster/mile. The difference is being able to go airborne when you run, and thus having a much longer stride. But I'd still rather racewalk 'cause I like the challenge.

Big grins and tailwinds to this weekend's racers!

Have a greta Friday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Good morning Jay and all to follow. Thanks once again for your most excellent recaps. I've been lurking, but it's hard to post when you're not running. I know, I know, y'all say it's okay, but when you're the one not doing the running and you read about everyone's great running adventures, it's hard some times...

Soooo...developed bursitis in my right hip from "walking funny" (ha ha) and went in last week for a steroid shot in the bursa under my right butt cheek. Not feeling the love quite yet. It's funny that using the elliptical doesn't bother it, but walking does. I have been alternating going to the Y and getting outside every other day, because this is the time of the year you want to be outside! And let me just say again, Jay rocks with his race walking pace. I can't imagine doing that speed. 14:25 is my best effort so far.

Holly, you're a good person. You too, Steve. Nice of you to pick up the check.

Hang in there Mariposai.  Leslie - take care so you don't end up on the DL for many months.

Hope the "procedure" turned out ok KSA.

Hi Erika! I volunteered at the Cellcom again this year and was thinking about that great weekend when you, Amy, Starr and Holly were all here.

I've been loving watching the grandboys play baseball the past couple of weeks. It's amazing how their skill level improves each season. Will, who will be 10 in September, hit an in-the-park home run on Wednesday night. He was quite pleased with himself.

Off to play 18 holes. Have a great Friday everyone.

Tramps

Another swampy 5 miler.

This pattern of warm rain everyday seems to suit the flies and bees; they're everywhere this year.

Two recommendations

• Those of you with/work with teens might be interested in a new study of their social media use. As I'd noted here before; Facebook use is way down; Instagram and Snapchat rule.
        • If you have Netflix, check out Icarus sometimes. Wild documentary about the story behind Russian doping revelations.  

Have a great weekend.

Be safe. Be kind.

Dave59

2.3 miles this morning. We'll be heading to the church to help setup for tomorrow. But first I have to stop at my favorite donut shop in the whole world, Cops & Donuts in Clare Michigan.

SteveP - I ran race in the run Michigan cheap series a few years ago, but it turned out to be a hot humid day so I geared down to the 10k.

pfriese

I ended May with a rest day and started June with a muggy 11.6 mile run.

Paul

Thanks, all!  Made it through.  Don't have to go back for 10 years.  I know in the overall scheme of health things this is minor, but it is a VERY unpleasant thing and yesterday was pretty miserable- not to mention the overnight prep.  I guess I managed to retain fluids despite spending the night on the pot, because I weighed more than I have in months this morning!  Ugh- the one bright spot was how low my weight was going to be!  They took me early today, so I was done by 9 am and we went to First Watch for breakfast.  I'm tired and sort of yucky feeling, but I'll be fine.  Maybe a mile or two this afternoon???

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

wildchild

Carolyn

Howdy, Masters!

Sounds like several of you are having a tough time with life issues - hang in there and keep running!

Erika, I'm with Mariposai - I don't have trouble running too fast, and a 10 minute mile is about my tempo pace these days.

Yesterday I had an epic adventure with my training partner - we tried out some new-to-us trails up in the Mt. Evans Wilderness, and there are miles and miles of gorgeous singletrack!  The elevation ranged from 8,800 ft up to 11,700 ft, so it was relatively cool - it hit 90 degrees down in Denver, and I bet it wasn't over 65 up high.  We only saw 3 people all day, and we were wondering why this beautiful area is largely undiscovered by the front range hordes.

Since it was the last day of the month, I had checked how many miles I needed to end on a prime - I needed either 17 or 23.  Well, we overshot both, and ran 25.8 miles.  Ooops!  We were both pretty tired at the end - the last 4 miles climbed 1800 ft and we were pooped. Still, a good confidence building run - it was our last long run before our respective 50k races in 2 weeks, and even though we were tired, nothing hurt.   I'm so grateful that I can do epic stuff like this at age 60 and live to tell about it!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Soooo...developed bursitis in my right hip from "walking funny" (ha ha) and went in last week for a steroid shot in the bursa under my right butt cheek. Not feeling the love quite yet.

JLynne - Sounds like it's close to the place where I had bursitis last year.  I know how you're feeling.

Jay race walks faster than I run.

Steve - Kudos to you for holding supplies to higher standards.  You are their customer and it's their job to provide quality customer service.

Another vet appt for Mr. today.  Me thinks he's developed an infection or something in his mouth from the tooth extraction 'cause he's hardly eating, even watered down canned food.  Poor guy.  Poor "My Pocketbook."

Yesterday was the last day for one the legal secretaries.  There's a bidding war going on for her cubby by two other legal secretaries:

One whose legal secretary whose cubby is very small, next to the copier where people like to hang out and talk, next to another secretary who talks out loud to herself all day - sometimes quite loudly, and next to an attorney who also has no concept of keeping the volume down

vs.

Our dept secretary whose cubby is also very small and has to deal with bathroom odors because certain people have no concept of turning on the fan, spritzing the air with a very good freshener we have here, and closing the door.

We'll see who wins the battle . . . .

Tonight is opening night for Crabs baseball. "Founded in 1945, the Humboldt Crabs are the oldest continuously-operated summer collegiate, wood-bat, baseball team in the country. 2018 will mark the 74th consecutive year of Crabs baseball."  Summer is officially here!

Okay.  It's Friday.  Enjoy ~~

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

C-R

Hey all.

Excellent recap as always Jay. I think race walking is tough simply because of the need for so much concentration on form. Cudos.

Hang in there Mike. You know what they say. Things come in 3's so you should be out of the woods for more stuff.

Good for you Steve. I was always taught that integrity is doing the right thing even when no one is looking. Hold them to the standards.

Nice run Wild.

Good vibes to Jlynne, Mariposai and Leslie.

Thanks for the tip on Netflix Tramps. If anyone is interested, I just finished season 5 of Vikings. Good show. A bit gory but enjoyable plots and characters and the scenery is great.

DS won the best mental attitude for juniors on the HS track team. Very proud of him.

Ran 7.1 in some heat today. Getting used to it but ugh the pace sure slows.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                    "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

...howdy..

back from a week in The Land of Concrete

went to

the Science Center (Old Childrens Museum when I was a kid)

Claire wanted

to go thru the ''StarWalk''.......as we went in there was a THING on the floor in the Pitch Black

turned out

to be a 3-year old boy

Claire said '' are you ok??''

he said ''I'm afraid of heights''

he didn't know

(or care)

where his parents were,

I said I'd hold the door open so he could see the light

he said ''there's Light??''

we never got him to come out, but I sent in a Monitor to get him

============

In Other News-

THINGS YOU FIND OUT ON VACATION-

after 8-hours of walking around, my hip bothered me,

when we got back to the room

Pickles said

'' I can put most of my hand into where they cut the hip out""

and

while she DOES have small hands, this thing is basically skin over  implant

I can walk,

but the muscle isn't filling in like the 1st one so I'll ask my FNP (also a runner) when I see her

Wishing you Good Running.................Enjoy the Gift........

we now return you to your regularly scheduled daily

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

evanflein

tomwhite, my dad has the same issue. When we went to Seattle in March to talk about getting the other hip done, I asked about physical therapy to increase his strength. While the docs all said that would be a good idea, no one offered to follow up on it. I think it would make a world of difference for him.

RunnerKSA, everything ok? Must be if you're on a 10 year repeat. I'm on the 5 year plan cuz they always find something. Good for you for getting it done.

Jay, we'll see how long I stick with this. At least it gives me something to work on/think about when I go out for my run.

Steve P, sorry you get hell from your dad when you really are doing the right thing. Just keep doing it. And holding your suppliers accountable. More customers (both business and individuals) should do that rather than complain on Facebook or elsewhere.

Jlynne, always good to "see" you! Hope you get some relief. I've dealt with bursitis in the hip before and it's no fun, for sure. So how many years ago did we do Green Bay, is this two years now? I did Bayshore the following weekend and met Steve P and Tag. The best thing about this traveling marathon thing is meeting new friends!!

We are in road construction hell around here. Almost all the major roads are having some sort of work done, and the busiest intersection in town (also with highest crash rates) is closed through August. Our main road is being resurfaced and the bike path is being completely redone. This is the main road I run along all summer, so it's going to be a challenge finding non-trail running areas. But, they started at one end (west side) last year and got maybe 1.5 miles. This year they're finishing the whole thing. In the process, the asphalt bike path is getting removed and the area between the bike path and the road is all dug up for refurbishing. Why does this matter? Well, there are beautiful irises growing in that space in the last mile of the road (eastern side). Last night, they started on that section. So DH and I got shovels and buckets and dug up about 7-8 iris plants and brought them home. One of the road crew guys came by to tell us to move the truck out of the way, but when he saw what we were doing he gave a big thumbs up and smiled, asked us to just stay out of the big truck lane. Ok, not a problem. This weekend I'll plan my new irises along the driveway.

Everything OK!  Thanks.     1.1 treadmill mile but I'm not feeling great still-  anesthesia does take a toll, even just a brief spell of it. 

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

C-R

Hey Karen. Glad it went ok. I was there a couple of months ago. First time and I get to repeat in 5 not 10.

The upside was that I now know how to cut weight if I ever need that.

Oh and evanflein - we've been in road hell for the past 11 years we've lived in our little town. Roundabout construction and all manner of projects made the orange barrel the city mascot. Ugh. they are about to close a main intersection a block from the house on Monday for 8 weeks (which we know means 16 weeks). Hang in there.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

...howdy..

back from a week in The Land of Concrete

went to

the Science Center (Old Childrens Museum when I was a kid)

Claire wanted

to go thru the ''StarWalk''.......as we went in there was a THING on the floor in the Pitch Black

turned out

to be a 3-year old boy

Claire said '' are you ok??''

he said ''I'm afraid of heights''

he didn't know

(or care)

where his parents were,

I said I'd hold the door open so he could see the light

he said ''there's Light??''

we never got him to come out, but I sent in a Monitor to get him

============

In Other News-

THINGS YOU FIND OUT ON VACATION-

after 8-hours of walking around, my hip bothered me,

when we got back to the room

Pickles said

'' I can put most of my hand into where they cut the hip out""

and

while she DOES have small hands, this thing is basically skin over  implant

I can walk,

but the muscle isn't filling in like the 1st one so I'll ask my FNP (also a runner) when I see her

Wishing you Good Running.................Enjoy the Gift........

we now return you to your regularly scheduled daily

Poor kid.  3 yo??  Where were the frigging parents???

And the hip - 

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

Orange cone mascot, heh... yeah, know all about that one!

RunnerKSA the next day after mine I tried the elliptical. Barely made it 20 minutes, thought I was going to puke. It definitely takes a toll on you! Easy does it!

Ran 4.4 miles this afternoon. Checked the weather beforehand and the radar looked clear. Just after my turnaround to come back, could hear the sound of raindrops in the trees all around me. But the sun was shining and no clouds directly above. So I did a quick check behind me. Dang it! Big black cloud apparently chasing me as I always felt on the "sprinkle-zone" edge. Well, it caught me in the last mile and I was pretty soaked by the time I got back. Glad I keep a hair dryer in my bag.