Masters Running

9/7/12...TGIF (Read 479 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning...

Another 4:00am run for me..well, up at 4:00, then out the door after a few.....

6 peppy miles - foggy and muggy out, but not too bad........real sweaty tho

Off to work........

Hope everyone has a good day Smile

TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

coastwalker

Mornin' all.

Good for you for getting out there early again, TimBo!

Doug, if you're going to Lubec, take your passport and go across the short bridge to Canada so you can visit Roosevelt's place at Campobello. There are also some great light houses up in the area, and a great little chocolate shop in Lubec. If you are going to be in Bar Harbor for a while, go up to the Jordan Pond House in Acadia for lunch, and then enjoy a nice stroll around the pond. I just read about a wonderful breakfast place in Bar Harbor called "2 Cats" - you might have to wait for a table, but it is supposed to be worth the wait.

Great shots of David and the rest of the team, Tammy. You have every right to be proud.

Looking forward to Holly's flapper photos...

I couldn't do it today: We were out late again last night, this time at a dinner and a show that were fundraisers for a good friend with cancer. Rather than be depressed by it, he is embracing it and living his life as best he can. He is inspiring, and we're glad to support him any way we can. I couldn't short-change myself on sleep two nights in a row, so I sawed wood until about 5:15 this morning.

This is an exciting day in the neighborhood: A Trader Joe's is opening only about 20 minutes away! We'll definitely be there before the end of the weekend (if not before the end of today). We also have an LL Bean outlet coming in about 2 weeks (3 miles away), so things are definitely looking up around here!

Good luck to all of this weekend's racers (including me, 'cause I'll definitely need it for my 8K tomorrow afternoon)!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

I haven't been keeping up to good with things here.  But I saw a Batman cartoon that I thought I share for SteveP:

http://www.rhymeswithorange.com/wordpress/strips/Rhymes_with_Orange.20120907_large.gif

I ran an easy 3 miles.  This week has been a weird one.  Pulled in multiple directions at work and home.

Lots and lots of local races tomorrow.  I think I'll go to the one closest to me and the one with the least advertising.  Maybe I can pick up a cheap AG placement. Roll eyes 

...love the cartoon dave.

=======

.......some more

untimed NordicTrak............seems to loosen that initial pain when I get up

Now,

the Trick is not to over-do it

and you know

how I get

............................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

an amazing likeness

Doug, if you're going to Lubec, take your passport and go across the short bridge to Canada so you can visit Roosevelt's place at Campobello. There are also some great light houses up in the area, and a great little chocolate shop in Lubec. If you are going to be in Bar Harbor for a while, go up to the Jordan Pond House in Acadia for lunch, and then enjoy a nice stroll around the pond. I just read about a wonderful breakfast place in Bar Harbor called "2 Cats" - you might have to wait for a table, but it is supposed to be worth the wait.

[excuse my interruption of the daily]

Rochrunner -- since we're offering dining suggestions and one of your stops, Bath, ME got left out of Jay's suggestions...here's a few for Bath:

Breakfast --- Mae's Cafe

Lunch or Dinner -- Solo Bistro on Front St

Great BBQ -- Beal St BBQ on Water St

[carry on, back to skimming mode]

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

I took a nice 20 mile bike ride to the President William McKinley Memorial in Niles, OH yesterday. 2 weeks ago I visited all the memorials in Washington but had not been to a Presidential Memorial only 20 mile from home in many years. 

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

King of PhotoShop

Cool specs on TR!

4.5 easy this morning, at least until one of the local young ladies, an IM athlete, came along and we ran the last mile together at 7+ min/mile. A bit of huffin and puffin for this old guy.  That was fun!

We're flying out to Claremont, CA in the morning.  Service is in the afternoon.  We would have made this a longer trip but the boys have school. I'm looking forward to the whole family being there to celebrate Joe.  Spareribs

(((Ribs))) Good luck with the memorial service this weekend. I know you'll give an excellent eulogy.

How are you surviving without Pickles, Tom? No mention of cupboard crawling yet so you must be doing okay.

I'd give anything for a Trader Joe's near by. The closest one is 1 1/2 hours away. Nice to see you "sleeping in" until 5 this morning Jay.

Good luck snagging some hardware tomorrow Dave. I signed up at the last minute for a 5k myself. Looks to be great weather.

Hey flapper Holly. We need pictures!

Cross training day. 5 miles on the eliptical (which takes about 40-45 minutes Dave), 5 miles on the recumbant bike and 45 minutes of weights. Just a little complaint today. I got my Runner's World magazine in the mail yesterday. Just once I'd like to see a normal, middle-aged human being on the cover instead of some young beauty with zero percent body fat, perfect hair and makeup, running with great ease and not sweating a single drop. It might sell less magazines to men but it sure would make me feel better  Joking

I was thinking race photographers should probably take staged pictures of people crossing the finish line BEFORE the race, so that everyone could look as good as Wildchild.

The most annoying thing about RW magazine is, the regurgitation of the same articles..  For example ("What not to do before a race"; "How to run your fastest, or first! 5K").  I wish there was more feature writing.

3.1 easy miles, on my way to another 30 mile week.  Smile

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

wildchild

Carolyn

Thanks for all the nice comments on my race picture.  Just so you know, they're not all good - I only post the good ones!   I have my fair share where I look awful, too.  At the end of the marathon on Monday, I caught up to 2 guys jogging slowly right before the finish chute, and I either had to slow down and get behind them, or speed up and pass them - so I passed them.  That's where the picture was taken, so I look like I'm actually kicking at the finish.  I was sweaty and covered with salt, but that doesn't show up in the picture.

Sarge, nice trip to a local landmark.  I'm sure there are lots of interesting places near here that I've never been to, even though I've lived here for 30 years.  For example, I've never been to Garden of the Gods near Colo. Springs.  I considered stopping to visit on my way home from the marathon on Monday, but I was just a little bit tired...

Good luck weekend racers!

09/08 Mariposai - Lake Chelan Marathon, Chelan, WA

09/08 SLOjim - Heartbreak Ridge Half Marathon, Camp Pendleton, CA

09/08 Coastwalker - Fox Point Sunset 5 Miler, Newington, NH

09/08 Opie - Dash for Dad Half Marathon, Oklahoma City OK

09/09 Mike E - City of Lakes 25K, Minneapolis, MN

Dave59 - local 5k

Jlynne - local 5k

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Celebrate Joe.

Do not mourn what has been lost, but celebrate the grand life he had.

Hi, Milktruck!

JLynne - I agree on the photo covers.  I don't get Runners World, but Trail Running does the same thing - always wonderfully fit, good looking young people who have been so airbrushed they look almost fake.

Rest day.  Slept in 'til almost 7:00.  Felt oh so good!  18 tomorrow with Karen, then our church having a concernt/picnic in the park from 3:00 to 6:00.  Should be fun.

PS - I will never divulge the secrets of my amazing avatars.  Never. he he he . . .

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I was thinking race photographers should probably take staged pictures of people crossing the finish line BEFORE the race, so that everyone could look as good as Wildchild.

..a Capital Idea.........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Easy 3-miler this morning and been studying past half marathon splits, etc. this evening.  Think I'll take a gel about halfway.

Carolyn, I don't remember going to Garden of the Gods when I was in college there but I did go back twice since, once at a reunion and later with my family.  We had trouble keeping DS from climbing on the rocks next to the sign that says "No Climbing."

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

Mariposai

Happy Friday everyone.

Good luck to all the racer. Jlynne you will rock your 5k tomorrow. Dave, you too!

Timbo, it is good to see you running so well. Do you have a race in mind?

Milktruck, you are welcome to interup the daily any time.

Heh, I wonder if the twocats know about the wonderful breakfast place in Bar Harbor called "2 Cats" Milktruck is talking about.

Rest day for my wings since I have a 26.2 miler tomorrow. Carboloading time for me today, which started with a great bowl of couscous with chicken, green beans (from the garden) and a handful of grapes from my grape arbor. Speaking of grape arbor, once again today I came home for lunch and I found dozes of quails and starlings in my yard gorging on my grapes...the thieves...Surprised...no fresh grape juice will be canned this yard. 

Now off to make some spaghetti and meatballs for dinner. Chelan is about 2 hours from my house, so I will be up early to drive to the finish line where we will be taking a bus to the starting line.

I plan to run the last 6.2 miles in honor of Joe. What a  legacy he left behind!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  Yes--good luck to everybody racing, this weekend!

I ran 6.2 miles yesterday, 4.1 miles today, and I'll rest tomorrow to get ready for my 25K on Sunday.  It should be fun.  Hopefully, I'll do better than last year.

You might remember my DW's grandmother died a couple months ago...well, her other grandmother died, yesterday--plus her aunt is hours away from dying.  In fact, because this aunt is the daughter of the grandmother who just died, they were both in the same hospital room under hospice care.  Needless to say, my DW is having a pretty tough time, right now. 

Wow--how depressing is that!  Sorry. 

Let's see...do I have a funny story to tell to lighten the mood a litte?  Hmmm...no, I guess not.  Although, it is kind of funny for me to watch my new boss (who is young enough to be my kid) try to act like a big shot.  Well..it's not always that funny.

Okay, I gotta go.  See ya!