Masters Running

Saturday 10/6/18 Still-Feels-Like-Summer Runs (Read 33 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

And I love it!

Well, DD made it home from the concert before midnight, unscathed and unticketed (whew!)...Erika - that was my reaction, too, and my MIL was very judgmental about the outfit, but I have seen a picture of her in a halter top from the 70's, so I don't think she should really be pointing fingers, and DH surprisingly didn't think badly of it.  "I see women running down the street in those tops all the time." 

So, I went to the running store yesterday and tried on several pairs of shoes, finally purchasing a pair of Brooks Ghost 11's.  I tried them out on today's run, and I just love them - smooth mesh on the whole front, no rubbing on my big toe knuckle or irritating my middle toenails. In a couple of months, I may actually be able to get a pedicure!

70 degrees when I set out this morning.  I am loving the warm weather, because I know it will soon be gone.  5 recovery-paced miles.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Glad you found some shoes that work, Holly.  Ghost is a good shoe.

20 minutes on the LifeFitness elliptical, 5 minutes on some sort of Arc trainer that I didn't like and 15:23 walk on treadmill with .3 slow jog in the middle.  Foot feels fine, but I'm not ditching the boot yet for the most part.   Some weights after all that.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Mike E

MM #5615

Good morning, everybody!

It doesn't feel like summer here!  My hands are still frozen from this morning's run.

I got up at 4:00 am, sat, unsuccessfully, on the toilet for about 20 minutes, then got ready to go to the school to get my 16 miler done before practice.  Of course, as I was about ready to leave, my stomach told me that I had better go back and sit on the toilet, again.  After about 15 more minutes and with a little more success, I finally, got out the door.  After struggling with the first half mile to get up to pace, I had another great run...16 miles in 1:53:15...and it was, relatively, easy.  Then, I added 6 more miles with the kids as they did their 400 meter repeats.  I pushed it a couple of times but I was, obviously, out of fuel.  I did the best I could.

Okay--that's it.  I think I'll go and lie down for a few minutes.  See ya!

coastwalker

Hi everyone.

Evanflein, let's see how schedules develop for the last weekend of the month to see if a meet-up makes sense.

Regarding DD's concert wear, Holly, it's all a matter of timing and perspective, isn't it? I hope the new shoes continue treating you well.

Good workout, KSA. You spent as much time on the elliptical as Mike spent on the throne the first time around.

Mike, did you read a book or something? Good mileage after the long sit.

We had friends (the owners of our favorite dive, where we frequently have breakfast) over for dinner last night, and had a great time. We made grilled/planked salmon (which caught fire and was nicely crisped on the outside and tender and juicy inside), roasted Brussels Sprouts, and pan-roasted potatoes with lots of rosemary. For dessert, DW made an apple cake, which we served with ice cream - yummm.

I went an EZ 4.1 miles in 45° temps this morning, so it wasn't exactly summer-like here. But it was a nice, refreshing morning, so I didn't mind it at all. Then we went to the farmer's market and to TJ's to stock up.

Have a greta Saturday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, definitely still summer here!  16.61 in 2:30:26.  My longest run since the Tobacco Road Marathon.  Even did it without the knee brace--we'll see how that works out as the day goes on.

Have a great night everyone!

well THAT'S good news, Holly! DD and shoes both!

Falcon and Mike; nice long runs! I hope to have time to do about the same tomorrow.

Jay, you've got your weekend all worked out!

4.1 at :fast enough

After an unplanned 3 days off I had a little time this morning for a workout before the girl's 18th bd festivities begin. I've been neglecting quality stuff so I decided to do a quick 3k after a mile warmup; it was in 13:06 which isn't too bad for me and the miles I've been doing, I think it would be sub 12:00 if I was racing it. I jogged a bit and still felt good so I finished up the remainder of a 5k in a little over 22:00. And the best news is that my achilles doesn't hurt right now; it was saying "hello" a little while I was running and immediately afterwards, but is fine an hour later.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

At least Mike was still in the house.  I would have been in someone’s side yard.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

anneb

Yup- still felt like summer this morning here. Now, it’s cooled off but still really damp and it’s gonna start raining again at some point. 8 miles in upper 60’s/same dew point meant that I looked like I got stuck in a storm even though the sky was dry.

Fingers crossed that the G-dog just had some sort of bug Thursday, because things seemed to have normalized. 🤞🏻

Anne

Quickadder

Definitely still felt like summer for my morning run, except that daybreak was noticeably later. 73F and 100% humidity when I started, 82F and 90% humidity when I quit after 11 miles on the trails - dew point in the mid 70s as it has been virtually every day since mid-May. Even the deer fly were still hungry.

Finally, I find that I am faster than MikeE at something!

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

Marathon Maniac #957

AnneB - sounds like a bug to me - my dogs have had such things on occasion.  Fingers crossed that your pup stays feeling better.

Quickadder -

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

22 miles for Mike today, wow. When is your marathon? Seems like taper time should be soon.

Not summer like here but certainly not typical October weather for us. Cloudy with temps in the mid-40's this afternoon. Got out for a good steady 7.1 mile run, long sleeves and light gloves were a good choice. Legs got a little cold in shorts.

Marathon Maniac #957

At least Mike was still in the house.  I would have been in someone’s side yard.

Snork! 

me, too......

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

sometimes I think MikeE runs more in one day

at the last minute than I've done all my life.

We had friends (the owners of our favorite dive, where we frequently have breakfast) over for dinner last night, and had a great time. We made grilled/planked salmon (which caught fire and was nicely crisped on the outside and tender and juicy inside), roasted Brussels Sprouts, and pan-roasted potatoes with lots of rosemary. For dessert, DW made an apple cake, which we served with ice cream - yummm.

Many thanks again jay for the detailed menu and tasty post, . . .

. . . . especially since Saturday is my fruit only day in the GM diet,

However, we're still waiting for your post of "no overnight guests

today, no meetings, nothing to fix, nothing to do but a RW'ing

in the early morning from 8am-9am."

Holly - what a difference a week makes: no summer here in Seattle

Now that, when temps were into the seventies last week, I discovered thee five mile cycle route to the neat little lakeshore park with the running loop along the beach and and up-and-around the overlooking lawn I liked so much that it spurred me into two-days-in-a-row of training for no other reason than training. it was pouring down rain yesterday (friday) for the first time since April 23 and, though sunny, way down to a chilly 45o this morning so I went to aquafit for the first time since May (and promptly pooped out about 20 minutes into their routine) but "discovered" the even-more-boring-looking than-TM/elliptical, stair-ciimber that worked up a sweat in only five minutes compared to the 8-10 of the spinning classes. hmmm, do I seen a call to training for this year's 12-hour fun run at Carkeek's with each or the dozen or so two mile loops with 430 feet of climbing up two big hill (and going down too I hope I can still manage to do but I doubt it.

I wonder if it's going to be sunny too across Puget Sound in Victoria?

For more than twenty years, the first Sunday in October

has been running 26.2 miles in either Portland or Victoria.

Love both.

H

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

BTY

7:15 A.M.  1250 yds swimming.  100 yd backstroke 100 yd free / 1:00 rest.  There was an extra 50 free in there due to losing count and wanting to not cheat myself.

1:45 PM 15:00 paddling in the rain in my kayak.

Shoulders are definitely feeling it.

bioguy

6.6 today; longest run in a while. The road back is tough.

Graded papers, shopped, oil change, and lawn mowing rounded out the day.