Masters Running

Tuesday, July 20 Daily Runs and such..... (Read 481 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning!

We had a dinner guest last night, so some wine was in order.    Not only for myself and our guest, but for my aching back too.  DH gave me a nice back rub with warm oil last night too.   I slept good!!    Out for intervals today.  Five at 1/4 mile with .15 mile breaks.

1 mile W/U = 11:29 (Brinkley break)

2:12

2:05

2:05

2:06

2:06

1.25 mile C/D = 12:48

Overall 10:10 pace, 163 avg. HR

I hope all goes well with your MRI Wannabe!

Funny how Avenger Doggie seems to like water on his own terms.  I can just see him entertaining Noah.

Happy Tuesday!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Wine? Massage? Warm oil? Sounds like a pretty great evening.

I fell asleep on my COUCH last night, watching the TdF replay. Duh.

But I was up for a run this AM, an easy 5.

Walt

Mariposai

Great run Walt. Sleeping on the couch  will make you appreciate your bed .

lovely evening you had mary.

Yesterday was a non running day for me since we decided to take the long way to Portland from Salem, MA. We took Route 1A all the way. That was an amazing experience. The small towns, the beaches the views...just plainly breath taking. My DH and I are having a blast in Portland. The lobster dinner we had last night was out of this world.

Today: I ran 6 miles on the Eastern Trails Promanade. Great trail, by the water. I took some pictures for Vista and Stumpy. I will post it when time allows.

Getting pretty-up for a meeting all day. then we decided to take the Sunset cruise tonight and more seafood feast, of course.

Have a great day my friends

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Good morning everyone. Nice to see all the early posters. Wine AND oil? I think those are what doctors prescribe for bad backs. Nice evening, Mary - and great intervals this morning.

Walt - your nap on the couch was probably a sign that you're working too hard. Could be all the H&H too. Is your shop air conditioned?

Glad Mariposai made it safely to her destination. Please post your pictures when you get a chance. Sounds like you're having a great vacation.

4 painful miles this morning, 9:36 pace. I figured if I'm going to the podiatrist this afternoon, I might as well make it worth my while and have my foot hurt really bad so he has something to look at. Oh yeah, the nail on my left big toe that had turned black from running back in January fell off this morning too. Could things get much better?

Hang in there Jlynne.  This too shall pass.

The last few days, DW has been studying hard for the National Mortgage Broker exam which she takes later today.  This newly required national test is sort of like closing the barn door after the cows have gotten out since she has been doing mortgages for a decade or so.

Anyway, last evening she was across the house taking a sample test when I heard some unintelligible screaming/angry loud words.  When she came out of her "cave" I asked what that was all about.

She said one of the sample questions was:

Question: "What is the Regulation Act Number that established " some obscure Mortgage ruling I know nothing about.

Answer Choices:  Act 31, 32, 33, or 34

DW's loud outburst was something along the lines of "Who The H*** Cares?!" 

Our Government at work ....

I had a really good run this morning.  I went to meet up with the local Running Club, but some had apparently left earlier or later and some decided to not come at all.  So I ran by myself.  I decided to run 7 miles with miles 4, 5, and 6 at tempo pace.

At about mile 2 a little rain cloud came through and drenched me thoroughly (as if I wasn't already!)  The Tempo miles came in at 8:04, 7:54, and 7:49.  Felt strong the whole time.  8:31 overall pace - 7 miles in just less than an hour.

While I was running the faster parts I passed a guy and a girl who were moving along very slowly.  I run and train with the girl once in a while since we run very similar paces.  She is a tiny thing who is usually about 95 pounds soaking wet.  But right now she is very pregnant and due like ... today or tomorrow.  Really.  But she was out there run/walking to keep in shape.  I love runners ...

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Slo

Jlynne.....I feel for you. Being injured sucks. I do hope you recover quickly !

Mary......Nice intervals. Wine and warm oil......Sounds like a weekend we need ! ........My wife and I that is....don't want anyone to get the wrong impression.

Walt.....usually after waking up on the couch my neck hurts.

7.9 miles this morning. 8 x 800's, Ran 'em just hard enough. A very muggy commute this morning. The dew was forming on the hairs of my arm.

Go get 'em !

............. I might as well make it worth my while and have my foot hurt really bad so he has something to look at. Oh yeah, the nail on my left big toe that had turned black from running back in January fell off this morning too. Could things get much better?

...I know the feeling.............I wanted to hit my hamstring with a hammer for a while there.......

just remember,

that's why God invented CrossTraining.......

=======

.......speaking of which......

..................22min poolrunning last night................kids/noodles/entire FAMILIES in the lanes.....

......luckily

I know enough now to ask them if they mind Sharing A Lane......

obviously

impressed with My Greater Pool Knowledge they always do.

and  I think  my SwimmersEar has cleared up

which is nice

since THE BURNING SENSATION in my hamstring flared up when I couldn't Poolrun

...Life is A Series of TradeOffs.......but it still beats DayTime Television.

..........................good running guys....................always have a Plan B and C...........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

I hope your wife does well Byll.   I can imagine her frustration!

Ouch Walt - the couch always hurts my neck too.  At least you woke up on time for your run. 

JLynne - good luck at your appointment today.  You are very determined and I love the Will avatar picture!!  Big grin

YUM Mariposia!!    My DH thought he died and went to heaven when we were out there.  Enjoy!!

I'm glad you straightened that out SloWink     Those 800's were nicely done!

Pool noodles - oy!   

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                  It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Kimmie

Hi Master Friends!

I've been reading but not posting.  My surgery was not running related, but I still can't run much.  I have run three times since the surgery.   All VERY EASY, SLOW, and SHORT.  I could probably walk faster.  But I will be patient.

I ran 5 miles Sunday and 3 ish yesterday.   My girls are at sleep away camp, so Greg and I decided to go to DC for the evening. (pic on FB)  Before we headed out, I ran on the Mall, up and around the National Monument.  Very cool.   We live 35 miles west of DC, so we don't get there very often.  Had a great evening and then yesterday headed to the Chesapeake Bay and ran there.

The running is really interesting.... I think I said this already.... my heart and legs can go faster but my abdomen can't?  That's just weird.  Did you know you need your abs to run?  Smile   I do feel patient with it, though.   

I am not going to run Steamtown.  I don't want the pressure to get back too quickly.   So, the plan now is to just run how I feel and try to remember to do some more cross training.

Great to hear how everyone is doing.

Keep up the awesome running and I will be slowly joining you guys.

Small companies are interesting.

When I came with this company 7 months ago, they hired me on the basis that I would help them grow.  They have existed for about 10 years and needed to "step it up".  So I have spent these months planning and changing areas of the company with the blessing of the owners and administration.

This weekend I am supposed to be at my high school class reunion in Maine where I am the Emcee and have a program planned.  Travel arrangements taken care of......etc..etc.

Then yesterday one of the "growth" areas hit.  We got a contract that is 5 times the size of their previously largest contract.  We will do more work over three weeks time than what they did for the whole year of 2008.  The problem?

It starts TOMORROW......We have 15 of us working 7 days a week for 10 hours over the next three weeks.  The contract is time sensitive.

On top of that I STILL have my regular responsibilities with the company that is a normal 40 hour a week job.  This can't be neglected as it also is very time restricted.

Today I am in the process of hiring 20 part time employees who will make enough money in this period of time to start Christmas shopping.

The owners are ecstatic.......the employees are happy for the extra work......I am pleased that the plan worked.

The downside is, there goes the reunion.  I am sending my program notes to one of my high school classmates and saying..."Good luck".    I have promised them that by video circuit I will still speak to them during the reunion in a special address that they have me present.

If I don't appear here much over the next little while, there is a reason...lol.

I look forward to Mariposai's pictures of Maine.   That will the closest I am going to get there for a while.

I did get in a nice run late last night just after I heard the news on this contract.  I remember NOTHING about the run,, my mind in a whirr, but obviously I found my way home. 

Have a great day everyone.

Vista

Marathon Maniac #957

...Life is A Series of TradeOffs.......but it still beats DayTime Television.

I'm so happy you're posting over here, Tom.  You never cease to make me smile....

Mariposai - enjoy, and take pictures!

Mary – back rub with warm oil – nice!  Same goes for your intervals this morning.

Jlynne – I can’t believe it took that long for that nail to fall off.  Usually I get about 3-4 weeks after a marathon before they come off.  Good luck at your doctor appt. today.

Kimmie – good choice re Steamtown.  I agree that you don’t need that pressure after surgery, just relax and recover.

Vista - I don't know whether to say "bummer!" or "congratulations!" 

10 miles for me today in 73° and 85%, including 10 x ¼ mile repeats, with 1:30 recoveries.  Paces for intervals were all over the map:

1:49    (7:19)

1:48    (7:15)

1:50    (7:22)

1:55    (7:41)

1:54    (7:37)

1:50    (7:22)

1:51    (7:25)

1:53    (7:36)

1:52    (7:29)

1:57    (7:49)

You would think that if I could run a mile at 6:42 a month ago, that I would be able to run ¼ mile intervals faster than this, but that was about all my legs had to give today.  I planned on 12 intervals, but after 10, I just didn’t feel like I had another one in me.  Possibly my legs were still tired from Sunday’s LR.   Whatever.  It still felt like a good workout, and I guess it gives me a sort of baseline as I go into the anaerobic phase of training.  

Lunges, bench step-ups, squats, later.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Holly - you did the right thing cutting those intervals down.  Two more would have hurt rather than helped your training.

Reasons why you didn't go as fast as expected:

1)  1/4 mile intervals are tougher than mile repeats (I think so anyways).  Especially if you have more endurance than speed.  It's that whole stpping/starting thing

2)  Heat and humidity could be a factor

3)  Didn't you run 20 on Saturday?

4)  Let the dead legs period begin - you may have just hit a little plateau - you will get to the next level quickly.

Hang in there!

As for me, 15 miles this morning (planned 8).  After cutting a long run short on Saturday (only went 14, and walked for parts, but it was 3 pm and 90 + degrees), and not running yesterday, I had a little extra in the tank.  Felt good.

Marathon Maniac #957

PBJ - thanks.  I did run a 20-miler on Sunday, so it is likely that figures in.  I do hope to see these numbers come down a little in the coming weeks, as I do more speedwork.

90+ degrees?  That's rough!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

ETA:  DW passed her test easily with an 87 !!!  And now she'll forever remember that the answer to that stupid question is Act 32.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Marathon Maniac #957

ETA:  DW passed her test easily with an 87 !!!  And now she'll forever remember that the answer to that stupid question is Act 32.

Bill

And congratulations to DW on passing the test!