Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 8.17.17 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Wednesday’s workouts:
    PBJ (7 easy miles + spinnerooni kicker)
    Dave (4 slow, humid morning miles)
    Fatozzig (30 morning min of core/ST, with focus on glutes using bands)
    RunnerKSA (1.3 3:50AM streak-preserving miles)
    Catwhoorg (5 lunchtime miles)
    TeaOlive (4 hot, soupy miles)
    Mariposai (9 morning miles in cool temps with a breeze)
    Mike (10 miles, including 7 at tempo with hillage)
    Spacityrunner (3.1 evening miles in swampy soup, with smiles)
    Tammy (3.1 post-work TM miles)
    Evanflein (10.7 evening trail miles with few stops)

Have a great time in Acadia, PBJ! When do you go?

Dave, my cooling mechanism never worked well on humid days, so all I can do is back off, persevere, and look forward to cooler/drier weather in the Fall.

I’m glad you got to enjoy the pleasant evening on Tuesday, Tammy.

Good call on not lifting the water jug, Fatozzig. I hope the Hub makes a good call on his trip too.

Sorry about the Denver traffic, RunnerKSA - who knew?

Where are you, TeaOlive, that it is so hot and soupy?

It sounds like you’ve got great weather, now that the smoke has cleared, Mariposai.

DD sure is keeping you on your toes, isn’t she, Holly? Keeping the summons from you when she knew she'd have to deal with it is a problem too, but I'm sure you've explained that to her. You’ve got good advice from others here, and you’ve got good judgement on your own, so you (and DD) will get through this.

Thanks for your input & questions about my SIL and her DH who were in the accident. Yes, they do have a lawyer they feel good about. Yes, the other driver’s insurance company has paid to the policy limit. I don’t think they can sue that insurance company if they have done what the policy dictates. I believe they will be looking at all payment options before going down the bankruptcy road. It is just a shame that something that was not their fault at all has turned their lives around fiscally, in addition to (as Tet pointed out) physically and emotionally.

I have a 10K race at 6PM tonight in what looks to be warm and sunny weather (not my favorite!). So all I’m doing this morning is some good stretching and continuing to hydrate. This is one of the few races where you truly have to earn your race shirt - only a percentage of the top finishers in each AG get shirts, so they are valued more than those from other races where you get one for registering. It has been like that with this race for 40 years.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

mrrun

Jay - good luck in Saunders - I have earned a couple of shirts in the past, but haven't raced it recently.

bicycling today (not paullf's mileage) to make up for the 10 running yesterday.

it's not as humid today - yeah!

happy trails!

marj

Hi, all.  Gorgeous first morning run here in Crested Butte at 8800 feet.  Tried to keep it as flat as I could.  37 degrees at the start!  I remembered how to put a jacket on.   6 miles done.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

cw - I'm in Ga near Augusta.

Karen - sounds wonderfully crisp!

Three miles this morning.  Legs felt great.  I just need to get out there earlier.

steph  

For those old-timers who wonder what DaveinAA has been up to lately, here's a link to an article in today's Detroit Free Press:

http://freep.mi.newsmemory.com/publink.php?shareid=30eb89924

Warm and humid here this morning, but the radar seemed to show that the morning rain had moved on, so I went out for my planned run. You can guess the rest of the story, as it started drizzling at about the mile mark. It wasn't too bad, so I continued on only to have it turn into a downpour. But after turning around and getting back to the main road, it let up, so I continued the other way on the trail to make it an even 4 miles by the time I got home.

I seem to have more trouble running in H&H these days, probably due to age-related decline in aerobic capacity. Whatever the cause, running or cycling in these conditions really wipes me out! I think I see a nap in my future later this afternoon...

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Henrun

Good Luck Jay. I also earned a few shirts in the past. When I lived in California I ran one of the years I returned back east for a short term assignment.

Ran 3 miles this dry sunny morning (after 2.7 yesterday-one of my infrequent 2 days in a row).

Tramps

Cool piece on DaveinAA.  Didn't mention his DJ skills, though.

((Holly))  What a drag. Underage drinking's pretty common, of course, but the devious efforts to hide things from you seem potentially more problematic. Hope it turns out to be a productive teachable moment.

Jay--hope they are able to find a solution.  Tough situation.  Good luck tonight!

Went for my first PT session yesterday. Time was spent mostly on evaluating my various strengths/weaknesses.  I got a set of exercises to do at home as a start. I'm not-so-secretly hoping for a return to some minimal running this Fall?  We'll see.

Meanwhile, a 20-mile ride yesterday.  I've been riding with flat pedals so far but I ordered clipless pedals and shoes this week. I wish I still had my old hockey elbow and shoulder pads for the upcoming inevitable tip-overs.

Be safe. Be kind.

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Jees, Holly, your DD is growing up way too fast.  I wasn't making those sorts of stupid decisions until I was 17.  But it sure sounds familiar.  In Connecticut they called it "accelerated rehabilitation."  Hang in there - you will pass these parenting tests.

7 miles on the TM yesterday.  Today I'll try to run outside - it's a beautiful day.  Tomorrow - vacation!  Yes!

evanflein

Hey, did you notice mc solar is quoted in that article, too? How cool is that?? And yeah, DaveinAA posted that story (well, his side of it) about the trip in 1979 and doing it again this year on Facebook. We will totally miss it here. Any chance we might have seen it (I don't think we're in range at all) is blocked out by heavy cloud cover the next couple of weeks.

Oh, Holly.  Hang in there!  My brother was a lot like your daughter.  My dad once told him, "You see my bald head?  You see your mother's gray hair?  It's because of you."  It was sort of said in jest, but at the same time not really.

First - The Hub got about 40 min from the house yesterday morning and realized he forgot his phone.  He wasn't going to go back and get it, but given that he is meandering for the next week, he made the wise choice and turned around and went back home and got it.  He didn't tell me until this a.m., but I've been wondering what he forgot since he left before I did yesterday morning and when I got home after work there was an "I love you" note on the counter that wasn't there when I left for work.

Second - He was outside South Bend and got into bumper-to-bumper traffic for 31 miles - all folks headed toward Madras, OR, for the eclipse. He decided it wasn't worth it and called me from near Crater Lake this morning.

I was pooped when I got home yesterday, but for some reason decided to go on a cleaning spree, then did some transcription.  Finally made it to bed 9:30 (late for me).  I decided to NOT set my alarm and just wake up whenever.  If I was late for work, so be it.  I've been putting in a ton of overtime with this permitting stuff.  . . . I slept so hard last night!  No one snoring, the whole bed to myself . . . it was heaven!  I actually felt rested this morning.  All that to say I didn't work out. 

I did, however, in the middle of my cleaning rampage, decided I'm tired of not being able to clean my carpets whenever I want - so I went on Amazon and bought a carpet cleaner.  Gotta figure out how to explain that to The Hub when he gets back.   Overtime and/or transcription $$ will pay for the expense, though.

Leslie
                      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

Leslie, I honestly cannot believe the sheer volumes of people that are travelling in that headache of traffic through central oregon for a 2 minute glimpse of something. it boggles my mind. yet, if this is what Shorty wants to do, then go for it!  A friend lives in Sisters and has been posting pics and making her commentaries about all these people coming through their area. and backups on the highways around there that go for miles - like 10 miles!

and to make it all worse, huge fires over there and now my friend is under a level 2 evac warning. Can you even imagine the sheer chaos and gridlock that would happen if residents, who have basically hunkered down in their homes for the next 4 days to avoid all these people, are ordered to evac the area?!
                        I'll see 96% eclipse from my front yard. that's good enough for me.   If Shorty wants to turn around, he's welcome to camp in our yard . . and I'll even give him a blow up mattress 

Tammy

Good luck tonight, Jay!

BTY

Hi All.  I'm starting to really enjoy my noontime walks on my alternating days.  Typical is running on M,W,F and walking on T,Th.  The noontime walk is a 4-mile walk (2 miles out and back) on basically the same course along the Hudson River's Corning Preserve Bike and Running Trail that I've been running on for the past 13 years.  And I'm as obsessive about keeping a proper pace while walking as I am while running. Smile  Overall pace for 4 miles was 14:34, and the splits were 14:34 / 14:34 / 14:42 / 14:26.   I don't know why but that third mile is almost always slow and I almost always compensate on the 4th mile to make up for it as I did today.  And much of the 4th mile is uphill.....

Today I checked my HR to see if I was in any kind of training zone, and I think the answer to that is "no".  Just 85 bpm at the end of the walk, even though in order to walk any faster I would really have to push hard. In fact when I have walked the course as fast as I can, I have been able to walk at a 14:00/mi pace.   At the end of a typical Easy Running Zone run, my HR is just under 150 bpm, which would seem a little high for "easy" but I think I have a very high training HR - it used to register over 200 when I was running intervals.  So I was thinking it might register high after walking briskly for an hour but apparently not.  I guess I have to find a hilly route for getting it up in a training zone during a walk.

Happy Running everyone.

Brian

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

First - The Hub got about 40 min from the house yesterday morning and realized he forgot his phone.  He wasn't going to go back and get it, but given that he is meandering for the next week, he made the wise choice and turned around and went back home and got it.  He didn't tell me until this a.m., but I've been wondering what he forgot since he left before I did yesterday morning and when I got home after work there was an "I love you" note on the counter that wasn't there when I left for work.

Sure you don't have a seccrit admirer who's a cat burglar?

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

BTY-  That's a really good walking pace.  I am NOT a good walker and don't go very fast.  I'm also an impatient walker if I really want to be running!