Masters Running

Thursday 1/31/19 (Read 42 times)

SteveP

Coastwalker takes a rest day to heal a wonky ankle.

RunnerKSA logs 3.5 on the treadmill.

Tramps has a fun 5K run.

Surly Bill checks in.

Evanflein makes a plan and sticks to it for 8.3.

Rochrunner gets 13.5 trainer miles.

Bioguy - I try to remind myself of that quote. One of my highschool friends appeared to have the deck stacked against him. After the Peace Corps, he taught English in Japan. He was one of the developers of halo. VP at TellTale games and is now living in Paris working at Darewise Games.

MikeE checks in with 12 on the mill.

Stumpy logs a Tuesday Maggy Miles outing.

Tom White has an achy breaky back and still gets a 40 min training ride in.

Deez4boyz has a Justin update, a romantic interlude with a snow shovel and 1.2 miles on her feet.

Joe618 dodges the bitter cold with a scheduled rest day.

Mrrun takes a rest day with no egrets.

HollyS hopes the the weather and her lungs settle down.

AnneB gets 6 on the treadmill, deals with a poosicle, and has a dose of scrambled VPNs.

Fatozzig checks wages as she checks in. Those wage calculators are meant for us to feel bad about ourselves.

TwoCat has a tough mile for a tough guy.

Spacityrunner runs a nice 4 miles in balmy temps.

StarrRuns has a rest day.

Falconfiver chalks up a fiver.

Tetsujin209 is shaking off 26.2.

When I was in 2nd grade, I'd hide from the school bus, then ran across the frozen lake to school and beat the bus. It was just less than 2 miles. The first time, I was the first one in the classroom and I thought I was so late that I missed the school day. I did it for a few weeks.

4.5 on the AM treadmill. 5.5 on the PM run. I geared up to snow blow the drive. Instead, I used the bundling up to help get SIL unstuck when hoe came to plow.

DW, Tag and I called up GS#1 and sang happy 11th birthday to him.

SteveP

Thanks, Steve.     3.5 treadmill this morning with some faster running in the last couple of miles.  I think I am finally getting back to normal after the pneumonia setback.  I actually have a tiny bit of interest in picking up the pace......     Our earnings release was this morning and we had a record yea with $7.91 Billion in sales.  2018 was our 80th anniversary year.  I am lucky to be where I am and I never take it for granted.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thanks again, Steve. Funny 2nd grade story - good job of beating the bus. I guess you only did that in the winter. Good of you to help SIL.

Congrats on returning to normalcy, KSA, and on the record earnings in an anniversary year. Good for you for liking and appreciating where you are, workwise.

I went home at lunch yesterday to try to snowblow the driveway after Tuesday night's bit of snow and ice. But everything was freezing up by then, and I could only shave a little bit off the top. There's only a couple of inches of snow, but it'll be there till the next warm-up. At least I managed to clear the end of the driveway whee the plows had piled up some more snow. Then I sheared a pin on the snowblower blade, so I was done for the day after that, regardless of how much I had/hadn't accomplished.

I went 5.2 miles at J o'clock this morning in 1° temps with the WC somewhere around -14. I ran the first mile to get my body warmed up, and then switched to RW for the rest of the workout. My ankle was not happy with the running, so it was good that I switched over when I did. Because of that cranky ankle, I still don't know if I'm going to do the 10-mi. race I signed up for on Sunday. I'd like to give the ankle a good test tomorrow (if the roads are clear enough) and then decide.

Have a greta Thursday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

I woke up to 0° this morning. Not as cold as up north but cold enough that people here notice it.  Starting Sunday we are supposed to in the 60s for at least a week.

My R&R time continues. I am feeling more normal and not so wiped out. My stomach is a little better. I've been foam rolling various body parts. And I have been stretching my back which has made my back pain moderately better.

Now if I could just get my work motivation back.

That's about it from here.

anneb

Good morning all! Funny how the -21 temp didn't feel nearly as bad without the 40mph wind this morning 😉 Last day of cold, looks like it will be right around 0 for tomorrow's venture back to the office. As long as I don't have to stand outside for 30 minutes, it'll be fine...

Off to run a bit on the treadmill, and then hopefully a deal we are working on closes today...

Anne

Joe618

Morning all,

Karen, congrats on such a good year...that's terrific.

Impressed with your pair of runs many days, Steve.

Jay, I hope the ankle de-wonks by the race on Sunday.

Dave, hope the R&R continues to heal up and you find the work mojo.

Anne, have fun at home and be happy on Metra tomorrow

Mike, I'm impressed you even try the temp run on the treadmill.

I had a modestly good 5 miles on the treadmill at work early this morning.   Today was supposed to be a temp run with an easy run tomorrow.   I swapped them, as I'll be able to be outside tomorrow and will do the temp run then, when the "tempo" will be a plus 18F.

The bigger treat this morning, though, was driving in and seeing, from left to right in the clear pre-dawn eastern sky, Venus, a crescent moon and Jupiter...all lined up, bright as all get out.  I could hardly stop looking at it, so spectacular and bright and amazing.

Rock your Thursday, folks.

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

That's very cool, Joe (the drive in to the office).  That makes it worth getting up early and heading in in the dark (maybe?)

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Marathon Maniac #957

Howdy folks,

(-4) here this morning, no idea what the wind chill was, but I was not tempted to go outside. School was canceled again.  It was still cold enough in my garage to freeze a copy of coffee that had been left on the workbench.  I still have a cough, but overall am feeling on the mend.  KSA - glad you are coming back as well.

4 miles on the TM for me today.

DH and I are going to see Shen Yun tonight at the Dayton Schuster Center.  This was one of our Christmas presents to ourselves - instead of buying stuff, we got tickets to three events.  The first was the dinner theater in December, this is the second, and then in May we will see Cirque dd Soil.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Joe618 I am pretty sure respooling a reel would not do much to help my cabin fever, but whatever floats your boat. I hope it helps.

evanflein only in Alaska would "get home before dark" translate into, just stay out until whenever you like.

tetsujin209 I am somewhat surprised by the anti-bike sentiment at your high school. I never recall bikes being either cool or uncool. Everybody had one in my town until they could drive. There was no other option if you wanted to get around to see other kids. The distances were too far to make walking practical.

Mike E are actually looking for an answer to that question? 

Falconfixer I cannot imagine how disturbing a mishap review of anything to do with a fighter aircraft must be.

I put in 45 minutes on the elliptical this morning. Then waited for the HVAC and garage door repair folks to show up. I tell you my whole house is falling apart. Apparently the cold overpowered the HVAC system last night in the master bedroom, but it is doing the best job it can. The repair guy suggested we keep the heat up throughout the house at night and not just in the bedroom until the cold weather breaks somewhat. Then the garage door repairman show up for the second time in a week. The prior "repair" apparently did not take for very long. Turns out the unit that raises and lowers the door is wearing out. He got it working and suggested using it as is until if fails again. I am like, no way. This fix-break-stay home for repairs routine is getting old fast. I told him to put in a replacement unit so that this is over and done with. He is coming back next Thursday. I hope the current unit works until then.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Tramps

Interesting yesterday to read about other places where parents drive kids a block or less. Still don't get that.

Erika--those were funny kid stories.

Jay--snowblower trouble never comes at a good time. I imagine the cold had something to do with that.

The bigger treat this morning, though, was driving in and seeing, from left to right in the clear pre-dawn eastern sky, Venus, a crescent moon and Jupiter...all lined up, bright as all get out.  I could hardly stop looking at it, so spectacular and bright and amazing.

I saw those. With the crystal-clear pre-dawn sky, it was pretty impressive!

Our earnings release was this morning and we had a record yea with $7.91 Billion in sales. 

I'd like to think the couple hundred bucks I spent at your store last year put you over the top. You're welcome. 

8F this morning. Cold but nothing extraordinary. 10K brisk-walk today. I psyched myself out: trying to make sure I didn't overdress, I underdressed a bit. No biggie, though.

Happy warm-up.

Be safe. Be kind.

Those wage calculators are meant for us to feel bad about ourselves.

True.  But on the other hand, you get out of Humboldt County and wages are better and cost of living is lower.  Obviously it depends where you're moving to, but rents here are as high as in some cities.  I am so grateful we bought our house when we did.  Our mortgage is half of what we would be paying for rent now.

And Starr, there's no chance of us moving anywhere right now, but we are starting to talk about it.  Kind of our thoughts are once The Hub is getting to the point that he can't do his job anymore (he has his own grounds maintenance business), we'll get outta dodge.  Where we'll go, I don't know, but considering how much his body is starting to hurt him, I figure that's about 10 yrs down the road.  What he'll do for work after that, I don't know.  Something we need to talk about.

Steve - I can't believe Noah is 11!! 

I went for a 20 min walk this morning and Joe's moon-star scene was hanging beautiful in the dark sky here, as well.  It was stunning.  I also did my 1st PT of the day.

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

mrrun

we weren't up earlier to see the planets - and it was cloudy this morning.

here's picture from our activity - a picture's not worth a thousand  words.

Henrun

Hey, I know that guy. The gloves I shoved down my shirt makes me look like I have a beer belly.

Speaking of beer, I think I’ll have one after lunch for a reward for doing 6 miles-my longest run in 4 years. Marj was a great support team as I slowly made my way along a beautiful causeway in Sarasota. Temp was in the mid 50’s with a fair amount of wind, but mostly sunny.

interesting discussion about kids getting to school. In my day, we didn’t have a car and there weren’t any school buses- so we walked the snowy Canadian streets.

mrrun

interesting discussion about kids getting to school. In my day, we didn’t have a car and there weren’t any school buses- so we walked the snowy Canadian streets.

no horse and buggy?

growing up i mostly walked to middle & high school (sometimes biked), but occasionally i would get a ride when my mother took my father to the train station for work.

no horse and buggy?

....still playing with My Back,

not as bad, but not better either........

hitting 60s this weekend, guess I'll bide my time

(I've always been good at biding)

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/30/690034103/why-is-it-so-cold-come-warm-up-in-the-answer-vortex

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....