Masters Running

Saturdaily, 11.16.19 (Read 43 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

So sorry to learn of your mother-in-law's passing, Mike. Whatever your relationship with her, it is still sad. Condolences to you and Debbie.

Those are the worst accidents, Falcon - those you don't see coming, and over which you have no control. I'm glad you are OK and that the damage to your car isn't serious.

I've seen some socks comments while scanning the dailies this past week. I also like my Thorlo's in the winter, and I've been wearing Belaga socks year-round for a while and like them too. For me, if it is cold enough to wear tights, it's cold enough to have my ankles covered with taller socks.

My niece is running her first marathon today - in Richmond. I can't wait to hear her post-race report. She's at the opposite end of the spectrum from Mike, who is beginning training for his 50th state!

I've got a racewalking training session in a little while, and I'll be in shorts and a T for the session. And I'll also be on a small indoor track () 'cause with temps in the 20's, it's a little chilly for an outdoor session. I hope to get in 4-5 miles before the crew arrives, but I'm still having some relatively minor ankle problems, so I'll play it by ear (or by ankle) and see how it goes.

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Good morning jay and all who are looking forward to a morning of college football, domestics, and maybe some running.  Not to waste waking up at j-o'clock, even though the leaves I've come to love for the incentive to get outside for some good early-morning exercise are thinning out, was able to parlay them into another hour pushing the rake around.

Hang in there Mike. I'm sure your work and support for Debbie has just begun.

Jay - sounds like the pot calling the kettle black again but, from yesterday, I do always wonder if the nocturnal police patrols I've seen once-in-a-while in the neighborhood might come by when I'm out raking but not yet as it's probably a better use of their time to sit at the I-90 entry/exit ramps looking for DUI's (as they are designated in WA) and speeders. I guess they're just looking for dumb ones too 'cause they are always sitting there with their car lights on full blare.

Back in 1977 when I thought it was necessary to train even for my first marathon that was purely non-competitive for fitness-and-fun as the ski season'd been washing out with unseasonably high temps and lots of rainy days instead of snow, I sure didn't want to be seen outside wearing gym shorts of the day in the j-o'clock hours I liked back then too to do whatever I wanted before the kids woke up so was running through the neighborhood in long pants when, sure enough, I was stopped and asked where I was going in such a hurry."  Somehow, they believed my story that I was training for the city's upcoming marathon.  In fact, it was so embarrassing to wear gym shorts outside that I showed up for my first 5K as a training run for the marathon with everyone else in gym shorts but me wearing long pants too.

posie?

Hey, I think there's time for a Hillside circuit

before DW awakes and the day catches up to me.

See  ya'!

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Tramps

Thanks, Jay.  Your niece has near-perfect conditions for her first marathon. She may get a little wind on the bridge going over the James but, other than that, should be beautiful.

Mike--sorry to hear of your family's loss.

Falcon--what a drag. Glad no one was hurt.

When I was in grad school, I was once driving on Rt 128 highway from Boston back to Nashua, NH where I lived.  Traveling 70 mph or so--the prevailing speed of traffic--in tightly packed rush-hour traffic, I suddenly saw brake lights ahead and quickly hit my own brakes. In my mind, it was one of those slow-motion experiences, where I could see the cars up ahead slamming into the cars in front of them, being pushed sideways. All I could do is pump the brakes, try to keep the car under control, and hope the person behind me didn't slam into me. I went from 70+ to zero in record time for me. Everything stopped, people got out of their cars, and I realized I had come to a stop literally 2 inches or so from the car ahead of me. Gulp!  I often think of that when driving on dicey, crowded highways.

Those dumb criminal stories are funny but a little sad when you imagine what gets people to that point.

SRD for me. We're heading into Richmond tonight for dinner and a concert by the quirky Old Crow Medicine Show. Should be fun.

Have a good weekend.

Be safe. Be kind.

Joe618

Jay, thanks for the start.   Hope the training session goes well.    I noted with interest that a big running group in Indy also has a race walking division with several folks to nurture along those wanting to race walk.  I complimented a race walker in the marathon I ran last Saturday.   It's a great thing and thanks for all you do to encourage people in it, Jay.

Mike, so sorry for the loss of Debbie's mother.   I'm grateful to hear she was with her as she passed.   I was able to be with my mother for her final breaths and that has remained a good, healthy memory for me...hope it is the same for her.   My best to all of you.

Falcon, ouch.   Glad all are OK but the hassle of car repair remains, doesn't it?  And I too recalled the remarks yesterday about no one having a license!  Steve, a funny story about your Ashland, KY fender bender and your mental inventory realizing you were gonna be fine! 

And I love being in a group which can drop a funny Dennis Rodman story....thanks!

Having breakfast with two of my best friends in a few minutes and then will get in 14 or so mid day, in shorts, with low socks and snowflakes dancing merrily on my ankle bone 

Rock the day folks. 

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

SteveP -  re the crash and the delivery.  If you're gonna forge a person's name, at least make sure you're spelling it right.  Right?

I had planned on getting an ST session after work yesterday, but I was dog-tired and hungry by the time I got off work, so it didn't happen.  I'm at work today for a few hours, but will get in an ST session when I get home.  My hip flexors, though, are sore from yesterday power walking session.  Hadn't done that in awhile!

I'm really tired of working on Saturdays.  I'm not expected to, but I'm so overloaded with work right now, I don't know what else to do.  AND, as I told The Hub, I'm going on the assumption I'm gonna have to have a 2nd surgery.  As of Friday, the MRI report still wasn't ready.  Monday will be 2 weeks.  Needless to say, I'm not happy.  I went over to Redding in the first place because everything was supposed to be faster and better.  I'm gonna be asking for answers come Monday if it's not done.

Anyway - Enjoy your weekend ~~

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

[[[mike]]]..........you're in Our Prayers..........

==========

..50-min PoolRun/ shoes, floatation belt.......

basically lost count

of my laps

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

{{{Mike and Debbie}}}

Running Mojo - just not really feeling it right now, but that is normal for the first couple of cold weeks, and also since my mileage goal went out the window sometime back, I am not feeling pressured to get miles in.  SO, instead of running today, I slept in, then tackled the laundry, swept and mopped the kitchen floor and hall and stairs, and baked an apple crisp.  I did do my shoulder exercises and some crunches, but that's it.  Heading out in a few minutes to have brunch with DD and DS and his GF.   Errands to run after.  So, pretty lazy day.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I actually did get up and meet the group for my run- 6:30 am and 32 degrees.  I had company for 3 1/2 miles and she pushed the pace a little bit, but that was OK.   Went to the bagel place afterwards with a few of the runners.  10 miles done.  Next up-  Monkey Half Marathon next Saturday.

Jay- you really are a great ambassador for race walking.  I appreciate that.      Enjoy the day, everyone.  Football, autumn leaves, family time, etc.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

coastwalker

Mornin' again.

This is just a brief check-in to report that I got my 5 RW miles done at the indoor training session this morning - 60 laps, but who's counting? I walked with some of the other folks there, and tried to pace them to quicker laps than they usually do, and it was good to see them get outside their comfort zones for a bit. One woman was doing a mile at :55 laps, and we worked together to get her to :45 for the last 2 laps, which got her pretty excited. Fun stuff.

Now we're off to drop off DW's car for service, doe some shopping at Traderr Joe's, and I'll move some more leaves around (in broad daylight!) when we get back home.

Cheers,

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

KSA - good job on getting up and out in it.

Tom - good job on so many laps you can't even count.

Holly - for some reason, even though I have no events coming up at all to get excited about until the spring edition of the 12-hour fun run around-and-around Carkeek Park 16 or 17 times I like so much, I have more running mojo than I can ever remember having.  In fact, it might be the first time.  Anyway, here's a bunch for you, . . .

and anyone else who wants some - - - - - -

Image result for giving emoticon

no wonder I love running so much.

Even got back in time to make coffee for DW

Image may contain: plant, tree, outdoor and nature. . Image may contain: plant, tree, outdoor and nature

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Hey Masters -- I dragged myself out of bed this morning for a 24degree 5.2 mile run with the Sole Sisters -- big group today despite the cold!!

So sorry for your loss Mike and Debbie

Falcon -sounds like a scary situation

I need to go back and ketchup!!

Happy Saturday!!

denise

Falconfixer

Hey y'all,

MikeE, Deepest Condolences to all of you.

Wound up teaching the Saturday morning spin class.  7 minutes after the scheduled start, as I was collecting my stuff, one student came in and within 5 minutes there was a second student.  After the class I went for an 8 mile run.  Easier than the last few days but apparently not easy enough, did some walking the last couple of miles.  After the last couple of days, nice to see the sun out.

So in about an hour we'll have the kickoff of the Auburn - Georgia game; the oldest continuous football rivalry in the South.  The first game was played in Piedmont Park (in Atlanta) in February 1892.  As rivalries go, I think this one is the way it should be; you want to win on the field but it generally stays there.

Regarding the lady without her driver's license.  She had some sort of ID on her that the police officer accepted (I wasn't looking).  She did get cited but I don't know if it was for not having her driver's license or something related to the accident (driving too fast for conditions maybe, it was wet) or perhaps both.  Getting the car repaired may be a bit of a pain...especially since Honda doesn't make the Crosstour anymore.  No residual effects for me, no kind of soreness at all (didn't really expect any).

Tet, I've been stopped a couple of times when running in the early morning.  I generally use a reflective belt which would make me an amazingly dumb burglar.  Did get stopped once and asked if I'd seen anything.  Someone reported a prowler and there were two cars patrolling that neighborhood.

Jay, I was going to ask if the short track played heck with your ankle(s).  Thinking the constant turns in one direction...  Nice job (as usual) passing on your knowledge.

Tramps, I've been finding myself relying a bit too much on the collision avoidance sensors.  They are a good reminder but if you get used to them they can lead to bad habits (at least with me).  Luckily yesterday it was raining and wet so I had added some extra space.  Not really an issue in this case, I was stopped (as were several others).  Plus I never saw it coming (only thing I noticed in the rear view mirror was the Civic and she had already stopped also.

Joe, it also takes a lot to get me in more than shorts.  I'll add an "underlayer" short, then maybe calf sleeves; I've run in the teens wearing that (and few layers up top).  Hope it was a good 14!

Will try and get back later.  Have a greta day everyone!

Joe618

So, it's 10 til 4 and I'm just wrapping up lunch...sounds like a good long run day in the winter eh??   Got in the 14 I had planned.   The last two were rather slow but otherwise it was a good run.  Pleased with it a week after a marathon.   A funny thing, sorta, was the wind kind of moved around and it seemed as if I was running into the wind, even on the out and back route.   I remember thinking the same thing when I was in college walking to and from class with the wind seemingly in my face the entire time.   Oy.   Seven weeks to the 50K trail race which is the next target.  Already have run ten miles more in November than I had in all of October...that's a plus. 

Jay, have you heard from your niece about her marathon in Richmond??

Lovin' your surplus running mojo, Tet, thanks for spreading the wealth!!

In the category "you know you're a runner when...":  Around noon, a friend called and invited my DW and I to join them at the Purdue basketball game at 2pm today.   My DW is nuts about basketball, especially Purdue hoops.   And I truly didn't want to go...after a long week and some challenging issues at work, I wanted to run and sort it out in my head.  But she's good...she diplomatically worked out a way for her to go and let me run and found another mutual friend to take the other ticket, so it's all good.   I was happy, very happy, to just be by myself for several hours.

Rock the rest of your day, folks.

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

tetsujin209 and everyone else wondering about Mariposai's well being. I am sorry to report that rumor has it that she has been kidnapped. Word is she was out in Mongolia doing an adventure race when a Mongol horde descended onto the course and road off with her on a horse. But, never fear! I have set up a GoFundMe page to rescue her! I do not want the kidnappers to know how much money has been raised, so it just says "Give Twocat money." But fear not, if she has been kidnapped by Mongols I will make sure every penny goes to rescue her! Indeed should she return to RA in the near future you will know your money has gone to a good cause!

Falconfixer if you are going to get into an accident, then your outcome is about as good as it gets.

coastwalker good luck to your niece!

Tramps and just how long ago was that story from? Hmm . . .

Holly S. oh I really like apple crisp! Send one overnight to Twocat at . . .

Mike E sorry about the loss of your MIL.

SteveP your stories are something else!

This morning was an hour on the elliptical. Then DW and I put covers on the lawn furniture for the winter. Translation, DW said she would help and I did all of the physical work. After that it was grocery shopping for the week. My life is so full of adventure! Well, maybe a bit too much. I have not yet bailed on going to Hong Kong for a conference in early December but I am really considering it.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Joe - wind is always in your face in all the directions!     Good run.  That would have been a dilemma for me (basketball v run) but I would have needed to get my run in.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth