Masters Running

Friday's Daily, 7.7.17 (Read 38 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thursday’s workouts:
    RunnerKSA (3 miles, starting under a sprinkler)
    Jlynne (1 hr on the elliptical, 15 min on rowing machines, 30 min of weights & core at the Y)
    Tramps (hip/knee exercises)
    Pfriese (31 mile muggy morning breeze-free bike ride)
    Holly (5 miles in 71° and 87% H)
    Catwhoorg (5 lunchtime miles in some rain)
    BerthaSlayer (8 miles, nailing the pace by herself)
    Twocat (11 miles w/ 5X1000m intervals)
    Tomwhite (20 min on Greenway with RC)
    StarrRuns (post-work walk, not run, in 90° heat)

Spacityrunner (4 H&H evening miles on the greenway)

How’d you and DH do on the golf course, Jlynne?

Have ‘fun’ with your colonoscopy today, Tramps.

Sorry about the sore jaw, and the lack of dental office sleep, Tammy.

Holly, please remember that vacation time is not work time! DO NOT answer any emails/texts/phone calls from your office!

Did you get to the gym yesterday, Dave?

Sorry about the PC and Garmin problems, Twocat. but congrats on the nice workout.

500 race shirts, Tet?? WOW!

Pretty scary situation yesterday, Mike. Great idea to lay low and spend time with Debbie today.

I don’t have any more shirts from races in which I didn’t compete or volunteer. The few that I had, I gave away. I still have some qualms about wearing shirts & jackets from races where I ‘only’ volunteered, but I get over it at times. We're funny about when and why to wear race shirts, aren't we?

Here’s the deal with wearing someone else’s bib (without the RD’s permission) in a race: 1. It can totally screw up the AG results, meaning someone can get cheated out of an award they rightfully earned. 2. If the runner gets injured and is uncommunicative, the assumption will be that it is the person who registered, or the organizers may have no idea at all who the person is (if, for example, a man gave his bib to a woman). Either way, it can delay medical care and notification of emergency contacts, and possibly lead to dangerous care if incorrect assumptions, based on the bib number, are made about who the person is. So NEVER give or sell your bib to someone else if you don’t have permission from the race organizers to do so. One of the good things about registering for fundraiser races is that if you can’t compete, your entry fee is considered a tax-deductible donation.

In our road race series this year, everyone who completes 6 of the 8 races will get a $75-value hoodie; a nice ‘trophy,’ but not worth cheating for.

For a change of pace, I woke up early today, and so was out the door at 3:45. I went 7.7 RW miles in 66° muggy temps with only a slight breeze. I taped my shin and IT band again and had a pain-free workout, and am still feeling pretty good a few hours later. I don't know exactly what KT tape does, but it sure is making a huge difference in my case.

Evanflein, apparently you're racing for all of us this weekend. So good luck, and have a blast!

07/08 evanflein - Run of the Valkyries 8k (Opera Fairbanks Fundraiser)

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Glad you were pain-free, Jay!  That sounds VERY early to me, though!

3.2 miles and that should be it for today.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Dave59

Work wiped me out yesterday and there was no energy left to get me to the gym even though I know I would have been fine if I went.  Traffic on the drive home was slow and contributed to lack of desire to stop at the gym.  People get behind a wheel of a car and turn evil for some reason. I should search the web to see if there is an explanation for that.  The same person who would politely hold a door open for you will ruthlessly cut you off on the road.

I was slow getting started today but I did squeeze in 3 miles before being "late" to work.  Not that I ever work standard hours but I showed up later than I usually do.

I've run 193 races since I started writing things down in 1989. I probably have a couple dozen shirts left.  I wish I had some from the early days.  They would be fun to wear out in public.  Most were 10k's until the 5k became dominant in the mid 1990s.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

That's a lot of races, DAve.  Made me have to go back and check.  my log on RA goes back to 2006 and I have 44 races in that time.  guess that comes out to an average of 4 a year, which seems like more than I thought.  Of course, I also notice that my 5K PR came in 2006 and I've never come close since.

Speaking of 5Ks, a 5K lake loop yet again this morning.  Occasional sprinkle in the air, but not enough to either call it rain or be cooling.

Guess I have the same shirt phobia as a lot of you.  My BIL gave me a shirt from a half that he's a sleeve sponsor, and i didn't wear it unitl after I had actual run a half.  Not his, but I ended up doing it eventually.  I wear my Bay of Funday marathon shirt as a race shirt only--never on a training run.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Dave59

That's a lot of races, DAve.  Made me have to go back and check.  my log on RA goes back to 2006 and I have 44 races in that time.  guess that comes out to an average of 4 a year, which seems like more than I thought.  Of course, I also notice that my 5K PR came in 2006 and I've never come close since.

I had to go do a little math to see I average about 7 races a year.  I have had years with no races and then there was 2011 with 17 races and most my adult PRs in every distance.

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

I've run 82 races in 12 years. Lots of different distances. More than I've thought. But some of them were local race series for shits and giggles.

Rest day today. My streak ended a couple weeks ago and it still feels strange to not run.

Will attempt another pushup later however

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Henrun

4 miles in the same mugginess as Jay this morning.

Last evening we attended the first of summer outdoor concerts listening (and dancing) to a big band swing orchestra. I'm more enthralled with swing music than Marj is but we both enjoy dancing.

I've been racing for 43 years and have lost track of my total. I wish I had some early shirts. But when my DGS's were young (15 + years ago) we had some of my older shirts made into quilts for them. I wear race shirts all the time (that's what you do when you're retired). I have no qualms wearing shirts I didn't race in. I feel I'm entitled to if I paid for them.

mrrun

Another shirt question - do you wear the race shirt during the race - or is it a jinx?

I think I only wore one only once, when it turned very cold and I was shivering.

marj

Never wear the race shirt until AFTER the race.  I was runner-raised to believe that identified you as a "beginner" and was tacky!

I, too, have no idea how many races I've run.  It's been over 40 years.....  Of course, for my RA years (started in 2009) you can search and it will calculate that.  I'll have to do that....      Adding-  115 races since January 2009.

spinach

Never wear the race shirt until AFTER the race.  I was runner-raised to believe that identified you as a "beginner" and was tacky!

I don't understand this.  Why do people get mad at people who do that.  At several races I have heard some jerk yelling at a new runner for wearing the shirt of the race, in those cases i will put on the shirt myself.  I have run a streak of 184 months of races and I have done about 400 races in those 15 years.  A lot of people in races around here know me and so I use my familiarity here to make the new runners come comfortable when jerks attack them for wearing the race shirt.

Who cares what shirt you wear?

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I don't understand this.  Why do people get mad at people who do that.  At several races I have heard some jerk yelling at a new runner for wearing the shirt of the race, in those cases i will put on the shirt myself.  I have run a streak of 184 months of races and I have done about 400 races in those 15 years.  A lot of people in races around here know me and so I use my familiarity here to make the new runners come comfortable when jerks attack them for wearing the race shirt.

Who cares what shirt you wear?

I think you answered your own question of why.  I don't take myself serious enough to care what others do.  Certainly not getting mad at them for wearing race shirt race day.  Now, if you tie your jacket around your waist, that's a whole 'nother deal.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

I don't care what others do at all, but if someone asks me about wearing the shirt, I suggest they don't wear it during the race.  Put it on afterwards!

C-R

Good points Jay. Runner safety is an issue if something were to happen on the course and your bib does not match the person. You'd be better off to bandit without a bib. Oh wait that's not cool either. Ok, just pay up, show up, run up, drink up and cheer up.

Going the MAF route again for recovery days now that miles are increasing. Forgot how slow those can be but at least I'm recovered. Good for these old joints and bones. 5.1 at lunch.

I never wear a shirt the race day. Mostly because they itch and can be uncomfortable not having been washed. Plus some of them I really like and would prefer not to stank up so quickly. I see lots of people wearing them on race day here in Indy. Must be a Midwest thing. Bigger question is about those running with a jacket tied around their waist.

Have a great day everyone.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

catwhoorg

Labrat

Dragged myself for 5 miles through the heat.

This week has been tough on me, the effect of the heat in each workout just slowly adding atop of each other.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Mike E

MM #5615

My oldest daughter's family is visiting Mikey in Alaska.  Here's just one of the many pictures from Facebook...

Image may contain: mountain, ocean, outdoor, nature and water