Masters Running

"Can't think of a good reason to finish" - Bayshore 2010 (with pictures!) (Read 639 times)

Some days there's no way on God's Green Earth you're going to stop - in my case Columbus 2009 (BQ), and Boston 2010 come to mind. On other days, like Bayshore 2010, there's just not any good reason to continue. So I didn't.

A cop out? Maybe

Not as mentally tough as I might be? Probably

Stupid, silly, dumb thing to do? Nope

But before I get to the race itself, these pictures were taken the night before the race at an Italian Restaurant pig-out. We ate here last year and this will be an annual event every time we come back.

dAAve and MarkGuy (You're welcome Ladies!)

Mustang Sally, SteveP, and SteveP's lovely DW

dAAve and (used-to-be) bAAby who is still as adorable as all get out as you can see!

This one was taken right after Mustang Sally tried to twist my arm and talk me into running at a 3:35 pace with her and MarkGuy. And she looks so sane here too ...

Here's a really good shot of DW, DD2, and the 4yo GS. In the previous photo that was the 7 yo GS lurking in the background.

I suppose a bit of background on how I arrived at that point at mile 20 might be in order. My DD2 and her family live about an hour and a half north of Traverse City and Bayshore makes a perfect race to tie into a long weekend visit. DW and I had such fun last year at Bayshore 2009 that a return trip/vacation was a natural - and it might become an annual event - assuming I can silence some residual "never again" thoughts (Stay Tuned!)

Originally Bayshore was supposed to be the 3rd of 3 marathons in 90 days that would give me that Silly Marathon Maniac status. The plan was to run Gasparilla, Boston, and finally Bayshore - 6 weeks between each (sounds sorta like a training set of Intervals!) But Tinman wanted me to focus on Boston and wisely put the kibosh on the Gasparilla full.

So instead I began to look for a 3rd marathon 6 weeks or so after Bayshore. July is not a big month for marathons (too hot). I looked all over and all I could find was a really great race in Montana, but I would have had to mortgage the house, car, or DS to afford the airfare from Florida to Montana and the lodging.

After Boston I had 6 weeks to maintain conditioning for Bayshore. I took the 1st 2 weeks fairly easy and then used Tinman's last 4 weeks of Boston training to get me to Bayshore. And everything went great. You're not going to get faster in 4 to 6 weeks of training, but I felt I maintained my condition perfectly.

It sounds strange coming from someone who lives and trains down here, but I do not run well in warm/hot weather. I don't know if I don't dissapate the heat away like others do, but give me an upper 30's to low 40's race any day. I knew the race was going to be warm and sunny, especially the last hour. And I knew exactly what that would feel like. I also knew if I went out even a few seconds too quick early on, I'd suffer the last 10K.

I thought I was running easy enough. As is my habit lately I never looked at the Garmin and just ran by feel - trying to feel a pace I could carry through 26.2 miles. And it really wasn't all that warm. Uncomfortable sure. But not excessively so. I train in worse than this virtually every day from May till about December. Those 8:18's and 8:20's may have been a mistake.

I was surprised at the ups and downs.  Not hills really, but it seemed far less flat than I remembered from the year before.  I remember squeezing the sweat out of my wrist band many times (you have to do that down here) and being surprised at how little water I wrung out. Am I not getting enough water? Or is it just not that humid? I was getting conflicting signals.

dAAve was everywhere snapping pictures. Having a bike enabled him to leap frog all over the course more so than spectators normally can. It was great seeing him early on. Later not so much as I knew I was struggling and didn't like showing it. DW was all over too. And later DD2's family were coming down for the finish. I actually considered bailing when I saw DW at 11 and then at 15. (How sad is that? Geez.)

As you can see by the splits the death march was on during mile 20. I hate those. Hate 'em. 6.2 more miles of that wasn't inviting at all. Hate 'em. Then I saw DW again, this time with DD2 and 7yo GS. I smiled and gave them all "low 5's" so I could make sure to reach down to GS. I tried to keep running and did for about 1/3 mile. Then I thought - "I've already done Bayshore. Don't need (nor care about) the medal. Maniac status is out. You're struggling and in death march mode. These is no good reason to continue." So I called DW, turned around and ran (really!) back that 1/3 mile.

The next stop had to be to get back to the finish line to see Dg1, MS, and MarkGuy. I knew from talking to dAAve and from seeing them near the turnaround at the half way point, that they were about 2 to 4 minutes ahead of me (before the death march of course). I knew MS was gunning for 3:35 so I headed back.

As I approached the finish area I walked out into the street with the runners so I could make my way to the track which was closed off to spectators. Dg1 (Debbie) spied me from the curb and ran out and said "What are you doing here? You're doing great!". Bummer. I told her I bailed. As I made it onto the track, not wanting to pull a Rosie Ruiz, I saw a gap in the restraining fence and went through. Several spectators yelled "No, no, you gotta go back on the track!". I smiled and waved them off. Bummer #2.

I waited beyond the finish area and looked for MS and Mark. After 4 or 5 minutes I see MS coming. Uh oh. She doesn't look so good. At all. She basically crumples over the finish line as some Medic types try to corral her. I step up, put my arm around her, make it apparent I'm taking over, and head her over to some shade near the med tent to get out of the sun. She asks me "What are you doing here?". (She knows I wouldn't have finished before her.) I tell her I decided to bail at 20. Bummer #3.

I pour water over her arms and legs to cool her down. She tells me she's cramping up bigtime and that we need to walk. I help her up and a volunteer puts a medal around her neck. The nice young volunteer girl offers me one and I have to smile and tell her I didn't earn one today. Bummer #4.

Eventually we make it over to the food and drink area and find some shade. MS starts to feel better and she proudly shows me her Garmin (3:39 and change). Several minutes later MarkGuy finishes up looking fairly beat, but all-in-all, not too bad. Dg1, DW and my family join us as well as dAAve and his family - more pictures. Eek!

I hated to leave everyone as I would have loved a Beer and a party afterwards. Sorry Friends! But we had to check out of the hotel and get north. We stopped for lunch and I indulged in a Monstrous Strawberry Shake and a good lunch. The rest of the day I was wiped out. Not sore, but without any energy at all. I was surprised by this. I only ran 20 miles - a typical long trainign run.

The rest of the weekend was spectacular. Absolutely Chamber of Commerce weather - but not for running. We went boating on Sunday and golfing on Monday. Perfect days both. Here are some pictures from the boating day, if you'll indulge me some family pix:

I love this next picture. It exactly captures the day.

Under the bridge going from Lake Michigan to Lake Charlevoix

I called this thing "The Hobbit House" due to it's odd roof and interesting architecture. Some very well-off hobbits to be sure ...

We had a great weekend. The people who came in to run/spectate and the family we were meeting are the best. I love them all. It probably would have been even a better weekend had I trudged on and death marched to the finish. But I do not regret dropping out. I was struggling, and I could think of no good reason to continue. It happens. Hopefully not anytime soon however.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

SteveP

Bill,

First off it was a pleasure seeing you guys again. With the lack of perspiration, I think you made a good choice.  

SteveP

You made the right choice.  Your lack of energy afterwards says something....like something may have been off for you that day other than the heat.

Lots of nice photos, thanks for the drool-worthy one!

How hot did it get?  How did MS pull that time off in the heat?

FWIW, I share your lack of heat acclimitization.

Seattle, November, low 30's to high 40's.  Rare years, into the 50's.  Nice cooling rain, light drizzle to heavier.  Lots of RA's in the area.

Are you still chasing maniac status.. succumbed to peer pressure eh?..that is pretty cool

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Wow Bill it looks like you hit the proverbial Wall. Things were going great and then BAMMMM! at mile 20.

Well you have lots of company on that one. Good call and good luck on the next one.

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

evanflein

I can tell you I know how a DNF can sting. But you were smart; you're not injured, it just was a day to pull the plug. Takes a smart mature runner to know that. I bet I would've marched on and ended up in the med tent, or worse. I  ^5 your decision to pull out and make the best of the rest of the weekend. Thanks for the pictures, they're great!

breger, you made a tough, but wise, decision to not finish.  It sounds like you had a good time anyway with family and friends.  Thanks for the pictures of your family and our running friends.  A number of years back, my wife's family had a cottage on Lake Michigan near the little town of Atwood (on US31 about 12 miles south of Charlevoix). 

TomS

Thanks for this report.    It does encourage less competitive runners (like me) who have more "off" days than the others who post here.

With that beautiful family of yours and the great atmosphere from that part of the country, there certainly was some positives to be taken from the week.    Somehow down the road, I have a feeling that this little experience will be a reference point for you when it is time to consider whether to continue or not in another race.  EVERYTHING has value of some sort.

You are a great runner who inspires by your consistency and running integrity.   How you responded here does nothing but solidify that image.

Thanks Bill.

Vista
                coastwalker

Hi Bill,

This is the indicator that something was going wrong:  "I remember squeezing the sweat out of my wrist band many times (you have to do that down here) and being surprised at how little water I wrung out. Am I not getting enough water? Or is it just not that humid? I was getting conflicting signals." It is never a good sign if it is warm and you aren't sweating normally. So it could well be that your body knew something was amiss and found compelling ways to let you know that shutting down early was probably a wise thing to do. It is ofter smarter (but much harder) to shut down rather than force yourself to continue even though there are good reasons not to. There will be other marthons, Maniac opps, and many more great times (and photos!) with family and friends.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Bill they always say there is a wall at mile 20.  You sure proved that!  I don't like hot weather marathons either. They are just not fun at all .... unless you lower expectations and pace from the onset.  Just keep trying and sometimes the training and weather will come together for you.  Keep on trying, you ARE a good runner!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

definitely sounds like you made a good decision Bill - you could have ended up seriously overheated and dehydrated by the sounds of it and instead you were able to enjoy the pleasure of good friends and family ......you have a lot of great running in you and know what is important in life - you are definitely an inspiration to me!!

denise

wildchild

Carolyn

Bill, you will always be a maniac in my book, no matter how many or few marathons you run!   (And I mean that in only the nicest way, of course)    You have a beautiful family - thanks for the pictures!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

You are a wise Alien Byll.    I am right there with you on the heat thing and was worried about the marathoner's that day. 

Great pictures too!   We used to trailer our boat (very similar to that pictured) up to Charlevoix and take off for our 2 week vacations under that bridge.   The pictures brought back some good memories.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #3309

Thanks for your RR Bill, as I think we all had the question............why, what happened.

But let me say also, that it was probably a wise decision to drop out when you did.....your healthy - enjoyed the rest of your time there - and lived to run another day  . I personally wonder if maybe you did get dehydrated, as it can kinda sneak up on a person sometimes. Then once that happens, there is no coming back from that. Ordinarily, 6 miles doesn't really seem that far, but after 20 miles - and not feeling great - a 10K more can seem like an eternity.

Not that I know a lot, but the Marathon distance can be a confusing beast sometimes, and there are soooo many factors that come into play that sometimes we never expect or anticipate. But Bill.....you are a awesome and talented runner, and a tremendous Human Being............and you will always be well respected by your Dear Friends here at RA.

Thanks for this RR and Pictures - Your Sincerity - From a super nice Guy

Looking forward to following your training everyday 

TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

You know, I'm so glad you decided to post this.  I believe we will all remember your wise analysis and decision if and when we are in similar spots.  You may have saved a number of us from injuries--I'm no doc, but I know you can seriously damage your kidneys if you persist when your body is saying stop.  That's just one example.

Loved the photos!

grins,

A

Masters 2000 miles

Thank you for the report, Bill.  Loved all the pictures.

It takes a very wise athlete to know when to say when.  You were smart, you knew something wasn't right, and you pulled the plug before getting yourself into a deeper hole.  And then you were able to have a great time with your family.  Nothing beats the joyous time you had with them.

Thanks for sharing.

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance