Masters Running

Mon Sept 15th Daily (Read 366 times)

The Jogger

Morning Gang Why didn't we have weather like this in the summer, nice, sunny, crisp Autumn morning. The 305 has packed up, (that was quick)not doing anything not even charging. Confused So I had to put the trusty old 201 on and it did the job but no HR which might have been a good thing because I knocked 8 mins of this route previous best. Dread to think what the HR was Smile Anyway 8m (675' climb going out) 01:18:02 @ 09:45 pace On a topical note, I hate to see anyone lose their job's but getting picked up in limo's to go hmmmm. On the news today it said the prisoners were beginning to run the prison! Good Runs All Roy
      No power in my house and lots of debris on the streets but Ike has lost most of his punch, thankfully. 5 dark miles this morning. 3 days in a row, looks like a trend.
        Monday, monday So good to me Monday mornin, it was all I hoped it would be….. Out for 8 miles at 6:00 AM---no watch, just recovery miles---weirdly warm morning and still a bit humid and temps dropping a bit now. Five weeks to go and all systems okay. Hi Roy (is that what you would call a cracker of a run?) Sorry about the power outage Craneium, but nice streak so far. I am hoping Annied and Twocat report in on their relay experiences soon. Great running Erika and you are doing so well. All those sub-8s don’t surprise me. Be good to yourself this week and you know I’ll be cheering. You’re going to wax the course and I can’t wait to read about it. Smart and strong racing Craig. You are so ready for Hartford-----just under 4 weeks away! Congratulations Marj---good showing! Tet and Divechief look wonderful even after all that climbing----Sorry Ribs, just had to say it. Go Sox! Go Pats! Karin
        annied

CNYrunner: what is in 5 weeks? You are very fast. I met TWOCAT at the Reach the Beach Relay. His van was actually parked next to ours at the finish. It was a blast. It is amazing that we are still able to run after little to no sleep. I ran a total of 20 miles in 24 hours. Running in the middle of the night is a little spooky. We cut our time by almost a half hour from last year. Still stiff from the race, but managed 8 nice and ez miles this a.m. Warm and windy here. ANN
            Hey there annied....nice running and cool that you got to meet Twocat! The Baystate marathon is in 5 weeks and that's what I am focused on right now. We'll see! One of my running pals is trying to convince me to switch to Hartford where I am running the 5k and cheering. Hmmmmm.....

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning. Nice crackin' run this morning Roy! Can you send your Garmin in for repair? I'd give them a call. Thanks for kicking us off again today. Hope you get your power back soon Cranium. Great 8 miles Karin. I loved the story of taking Granny to the grocery store. Ann - sounds like you should be sleeping! Great job on the relay and how fun to meet Twocat! Rest day for me, although I am playing 9 holes of golf after work. Walking the course, so that should count as some cross training. Two questions: After some of my long runs I will get terrible headaches later in the day. What nutrient am I missing to prevent these? Even after hydrating (gatorade, powerade or the like - chocolate milk when I get home) and eating it still happens. Also, what is a good website to use to map out a route? Holly - I'm no expert but it sounds like you are reallly pushing yourself. Be careful!! Happy Monday!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
              It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

A 3 mile recovery run, but a little fast because I ran with my brother and he doesn't understand "9 minutes or mile or slower" Smile Roy, try pressing mode-lap or other double key combinations on your 305, I think that's the soft reset to get it talking again. 3.2 miles, 27:19, 8:34/mi, AHR 148

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Morning everyone No running today. My not so good run yesterday was due to a slight cold I have. Hope it dissapears in time for the race this coming Sunday. I do not want to dissapoint my teammates. Packing up my stuff as I move into a condo late next week. Talk about a lot of stuff. Wowzer...need to sell a lot to. Big job. Take care Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

DickyG

I skimmed through that PBS show on 60's music...frankly, it was not the 60's music that I like...I never got into the harder rock, acid rock, and all that stuff. To me, the 60's meant the lush sounds of the Beach Boys, the incredible arrangements Phil Spector did for his girl-groups, and all the inner city R&B...most folks call it soul, other's call it the Motown sound, Roy...I know your Brit friends call it "Northern Soul", here in Virginia & the Carolinas we call it "beach music"....it's basically all the same. Holly: 18 miles in that weather...I couldn't do that in a zillion years. Enke: Jeez...not another one injured...really sorry. Obviously I'm just guessing here but it sounds like a possible stress bruise ...sounds a lot worse than it is. If it's still hurting in a couple days & you're desperate to run, you might want to cut up some regular sponges & put them in your shoes..I've done this lots of times...will get you through a couple days. Evanflein: Great run yesterday! Look, when you finish with your ice bucket, please pass it over here so I can dump it on my head. Sue: Another great run yesterday in the steam room. Roy:
                    Why didn't we have weather like this in the summer, nice, sunny, crisp Autumn morning.
                    Can all of us here on the U.S. east coast please move in with you? I usually run about 5 miles on Monday but decided to only run 4 because of the high temps & humidity. Ended up running 4.1 miles in a really slow 38:30 (9:24)...had to walk 4 times to catch my breath...it was 77 when I left the house. I really can't do this for much longer. Praying for snow... DickyG
                    annied

CNYrunner, have you run Baystate before? It is flat and the 2 loops make it boring. But it is fast. I hear Hartford is fast, too. I will be at Baystate running the last loop with a friend.
                      lamerunner

Good morning! Just 4 recovery miles today, limited time. Weirdly warm, humid and windy. I may swim later too; we shall see. CNY, I would concur that Baystate is boring. Flat and small, but boring. I have never run Hartford but I have heard good things.
                          DickyG - I think you are right. A stress bruise...it already feels a bit better today, although I haven't walked much on it. I am icing 3 x day. I will go to the gym and do bike, stairmill and swimming (if it is not too crowded). I am determined to lose those couple pounds that have crept up on me already. Divechief - I do have a bike, and was out on it just two days ago. Good idea. It was shocking to me how freaked out I was about not being able to run.....boy is running addictive or what? Mary - I used to get bad headaches shortly after my long runs. With me it seemed to be from not taking in enough calories before or during the long run. I don't get them anymore. First day of school here after a 9 day teacher strike! I hope there are no tears/hysterics this morning... Good runs all!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

We've literally had more rain in the last three days than in the previous three months, so the waterways are all close to flooding. Our local Clinton River has never seemed like a "real" river to me like the rivers of my childhood (Ohio, Miami, etc.), but right now it sure lives up to that name. I took the Clinton River Trail from my home for four miles and really enjoyed the sights and sounds of a "raging river" just about bursting it's banks and flooding the wetland areas. So it was a really cool run in IRC this morning, and it ended up as an 8-miler for my longest run of the year at just over a 9:30 pace, 133 AHR (my 305's still working, Roy). This afternoon we're going to ride it on our bikes to take a closer look, especially at the bridge crossings. Our weather looks delightful for the rest of the week, and I hope that everyone else is drying out as well. Have a good one, folks!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Not to turn this into a Hartford marathon vs. Baystate marathon thread , but lamerunner and annied....y'all have me thinking. I have run the full marathon at Hartford twice (2000 and 2007) and the half marathon twice as well. I love it and it's such a well run race and only 45 minutes away. I haven't run Baystate before, but I am running as part of a masters women's team since it's the NE grand prix series marathon. I think my quandary is that I feel ready NOW and four weeks away sounds good! Variety is the spice of life, so I'll try Baystate and then maybe never again. Mary---I used to get pounder headaches after races or long runs. I am not sure if salt was the issue, but I haven't had those booming headaches since I started using s-caps (Succeed caps). I am no doctor or anything, but it seemed my salt---electrolyte balance was off. You might use this for mapping your runs. I love it! http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/ Just plug in your zip code and you can map away. Wow, I am posting way too much. Time to pay some bills and get work done. Karin Way to go rochrunner with your longest run this year!
                              wildchild

Carolyn

Just catching up on yesterday's daily - I was busy literally from dawn till dusk helping DH tear half the roof off the 3rd floor loft. We got all the deconstruction finished and started on the reconstruction - got the posts and beam in place, but then it got late and we were too tired to continue. But we got to see a beautiful moonrise! One of the reasons we're doing this remodel is that our previous design didn't take advantage of the awesome view from the top of the house, and with the roof opened up, the view is really amazing. Today I'm working at home so I'll be available to give DH a hand with the rafters and roof decking, and so hopefully it will be back under cover today. Luckily no rain last night, but it did get cold - maybe 35 F. We hung plastic over the opening between the loft and the rest of the house last night, and we made a fire in the woodstove to keep the living area warm - first fire of the season. No time for a run yesterday, but I did get a long run in on Saturday. Hope to have time for 3-5 miles today with the dogs.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.