Masters Running

Tue Apr 14 Runs and Workouts (Read 660 times)

Good morning, everyone! Still tapering... 6.1 miles, 57:19, 9:20/mi, AHR 134 (69% MHR) 6 days 'til Boston. Long range forecast: 37-53°, few showers (30% chance), winds E 10 mph

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Good Morning tapering WRFB and all else to follow today.....band rehearsal went a bit late it seems Early morning fartlek run with Tri-guy---thank goodness his duathlon race is coming up soon and he only wanted to do 45 second speed-ups and highly random at that. 7.2 miles total with 12 x 45 second speed-ups throughout---some uphill, some downhill, and also mailbox to mailbox-- at 5:15 am and 40º (phew---supposed to be 25º--not all forecasts are correct Wink---57:54 total for 8:03 pace. The kiddo asked if he can sign up for the youth track program that's run by the running club I belong to----YES! Every Friday in June and then a few times in July. He did say as his parting shot: "Don't get all excited Mama, I am doing this for hockey and baseball, don't get all training plan on me!" Speaking of baseball----sad news times two yesterday---The "Bird" lived in Northboro, MA and we have seen him a bunch of times at the diner his family owns in the area. Mr. CNYrunner also saw him play as a Detroit Tiger years ago---his Detroit grandmother took him to games and the memories of time with her and watching this somewhat quirky yet gifted player are among his favorite from childhood.
        Speaking of baseball----sad news times two yesterday---The "Bird" lived in Northboro, MA and we have seen him a bunch of times at the diner his family owns in the area.
        Yes, that's front-page news and the TV news lead story here in Detroit. He only had one good season, when he won Rookie of the Year in 1976, but is still one of the most memorable players in Tigers history. He won 19 games in his rookie season, so I was surprised to learn that he won a total of only 29 games in his career. No running for me today, but a workout at the rec center is on the schedule. I hope I'm not overdoing things and will try to keep a lid on it and keep to a slow buildup plan.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Tee Hee! "Don't get all Training Plan on me". Mark Fidrych (sp?) only had 1 good year because he got injured. When he came back he was never the same. 1600 meters swimming this morning. Shared a lane with a guy who kept lapping me every 6 or 8 lengths. I'm slow. The "Running Over the Hill Gang"s first jam session did not go well. We all decided to go for a short recovery run instead. I just made an offer on a Guitar. Stay tuned! Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

I just made an offer on a Guitar. Stay tuned! Bill
            Ooooh - what kind of guitar Bill, asked the eager backup singer? Big grin That Boston forecast doesn't sound half bad, does it WRFB? If your meteorologists are anything like the ones around here, they can't tell what's going to happen tomorrow, much less next week. Tapering going okay? I ran 6.25 miles this morning, 9:14 pace, then 5 minutes jumping rope and some medicine ball/core work. The temps weren't bad at 36°, but there was a nasty wind out of the north. Not quite shorts weather yet. Twocat!! What did you think about Tony going over to the dark side? I'm so bummed out - there has to be a plot twist in this somewhere.

Hill Runner

Good morning gang I feel like I'm on vacation this week Big grin ...another rest day today. I'll run tomorrow & Friday....Saturday is a travel day. The current Boston forecast is calling for rain on Monday afternoon...This is actually a good sign IMHO because it is improbable that the forecast will be accurate this far out. I'm calling for rain late Sunday instead. Where do I sign up for the weatherman's job? Good runs to all today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
              Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
              Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Slo

Bill......good luck on the guitar ! Not much to report. I'm in Chicago for Training the rest of the week. AM traffic sucked.........glad I don't have to deal with this every day !

Marathon Maniac #957

Evryday – I love the pics from yesterday – lookin’ good! Too bad the pics don’t come with a soundtrack, though. Deez4boyz – triplets – adorable! SteveP – that is not what I said.... Blush Big grin CNYrunner – so kewl to be able to share the running fun with your DS. My DD still wants to go out with me again, but I’ve been waiting for the mornings to warm up again. Boston runners, PBJ told me this last year, and I thought it was good advice: Try not to worry too much about Boston. Just enjoy the experience. Whatever qualifying race you ran to get there was for the serious stuff – Boston is the reward. Relax and enjoy! 6.25 easy-paced (10:10) miles for me this morning on the TM watching Ella Enchanted.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Teresadfp

One day at a time

LOL, CNY, I could see my middle son saying the same thing! He wants me to know that he's NOT the same as me or his big brother. He also likes to say things like, "Maybe I won't go to college," to get a reaction out of me, but I don't bite! I was supposed to run with my newbie friend this morning, but she forgot she has to take her daughter to the doctor's. She has only two mornings a week free when her toddler is in daycare that she can run, but she keeps having time conflicts. Sigh. I'm the type who likes to plan out my weeks in advance, so this is challenging. If I'd known she was busy, I would have changed my running schedule around. Grr. (OK, whining over!)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good morning! I got up to run this morning, but it was raining, windy and cold. Now, I can take each of those things individually, but not as a package deal - so I'll get my run in after work. Instead B'Nellie and I cuddled up on the couch for a little while. This is the runt and also my daughter's favorite of the bunch: If you want to actually see and hear a little snippet of the stressing process I have a couple of videos posted on my website. Happy Tuesday!! Big grin

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Tramps

Evryday—those look like some serious musicians! Bluegrass festival? Please tell more. CNY—I like the “training plan” comment, too! Smile I imagine Boston runners will start trickling away in the next few days so let me get my well-wishing in now: Good luck and have fun! Remember, bank some time by hurling yourself down those early downhills as fast as you can; don’t worry about your quads. Evil grin Think of me around mile 22.5. As you turn off Comm Ave to go to Cleveland Circle and Beacon Street there’s a short stretch on Chestnut Hill Ave. I lived for a couple of years on that street, about 150 yards away. Also, after I moved to Nashua, NH, I’d drive in several times a week to BC coming in on Comm Ave (roughly miles 18-22). That stretch is sorta my old neighborhood. Oh yeah, this is the running thread isn't it? I ran a drizzly 5 miles today.

Be safe. Be kind.

Mariposai

love runts...that is one adorable puppy Mary. dg, I am still smiling every time I think of your FIRST place in your FIRST race!!! YOU rock sister. Byll, sign up for Seattle R&R and bring that new guitar with you. Hallar, you too. We could use some music talented runner at that house by the lake we are renting for that weekend. I feed my musicians very well. Tongue 6 miles with 2x400 at 7 pace and 2x200 a tad faster. Last date with speed before marathon. twocat, you are one awesome dude. Thanks for the info. Cool Just wanted to say: HI TALL. How are the kids? slwo build up is good Roachrunner. tramps, make sure you give good advice to the Boston Bound folks, remember ...NEXT year you will be in the shoes Shy Go Boston runners gooooooooooooooo. We are so proud of each one of you. Please take an extra zip of the Beer's Beer for me.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

The current Boston forecast is calling for rain on Monday afternoon...This is actually a good sign IMHO because it is improbable that the forecast will be accurate this far out.
                            You're right, Peter. My rule of thumb is that weather systems usually move more slowly than the forecast, and almost never more quickly. A bit far in advance, but good luck to you (and all the others)! Remember while you're running how many of us there are that will only run Boston in our wildest dreams.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

CNY, did Mark's family own Miss Flo's??? I didn't know he was around, I would have loved to have told him how much I enjoyed him! (I started out as a Tiger fan, so I had an eye on him in '76--who didn't, after all!) I saw the news on my homepage (Globe) last night and was so sad. --say, I also wanted to ask you--did you refer to being on the radio at night? FCR? I used to listen to "Jazz After HOurs" (Seattle based show) on AMC in the wee hours on the weekend. Tell more. I like the runt too, Mary. Very adorable. I am really enjoying the strawberry specials at the markets of late. I could eat vast quanities of them -- and have been! D. and I ran 5 miles after a hellacious day at work yesterday, really helped put it behind me. It was still above 60 and I wore shorts! Tramps, will do, if only I get that far. A buddy used to live on Washington, off Beacon, just a ways down. Was that when you went to Brandeis? Have greyt runs (I am always mixed about going to Boston--really look forward to it and love it, but sorry to have to board Frank and leave the cats for so long. Cry) grins, A
                              Masters 2000 miles
                              Tramps

Tramps, will do, if only I get that far. A buddy used to live on Washington, off Beacon, just a ways down. Was that when you went to Brandeis?
                                Whaddya mean "if" you get that far?! Naw, I was in Waltham in the early 80s; Brighton/Chestnut Hill in the early 90s (when I was at BC). NYC in between. Time flies.

Be safe. Be kind.