Masters Running

Ave of the Giants RA party and race thread (Read 40 times)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

did they have a mat at both start and finish?  Maybe you just started farther back in the pack?

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

wildchild

Carolyn

Yes, they had mats at the start and finish.  And the results say it took Tammy 0:38 to get to the starting line and it took Lauren 1:04.  I think they use gun time to determine the actual winners, but then they use chip time for AG awards.  The two women who placed behind Tammy by chip time actually had faster gun times, i.e. they finished ahead of her!

I was 4th in my AG (out of 25), and the woman who was 3rd beat me by 2 seconds chip time, but by 21 seconds gun time.  Geez, if I had known, I could have shaved off two seconds!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

usandtoto-2@msn.com

konnichi wa mike-san.

was this your first marathon with the weight loss?

how was it>

Tet -  yes it was.  I ended up only 67 seconds off a BQ, so I would say it was a big success.  (it was my best marathon in the past 3 years by 15 minutes).

Marathon Maniac #530 Mike (My Indian name is "Runs for Beer")

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Mike-san,  omedetou gozaimasu.
          Tammy - it’s much more fun to start at the back-of-the-pack and know that your going to beat all the runners who are sprinting to the finish with you because you started a minute behind them but are finishing at the same clock time to beat them by a minute on the chip time.. .

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Pictures of the finisher medals:

Half Marathon

Marathon

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

They are nice medals.

these are the 3 I've received over the yrs. I did run it one other time too (Fall 2007) but ran the half and they did not give finishers medals to the half marathoners that year. Not sure if they do now or not.

Tammy

Henrun

Avenue of the Giants

Redwoods,

Running,

Apart, together,

Under a huppah

We pledge our love.

Canopy of leaves

And limbs,

Gentle rain,

Mile after mile

To the finish line

With joy,

With pain,

Our race,

Our pace,

Giant sequoias.

usandtoto-2@msn.com

Avenue of the Giants

Redwoods,

Running,

Apart, together,

Under a huppah

We pledge our love.

Canopy of leaves

And limbs,

Gentle rain,

Mile after mile

To the finish line

With joy,

With pain,

Our race,

Our pace,

Giant sequoias.

Henry - so cool...

Marathon Maniac #530 Mike (My Indian name is "Runs for Beer")

Very cool, Henry.

Tammy - I have that finisher's medal from 2007!  The only year I've run a distance at the Ave - the 10k.

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

TammyinGP

Very cool, Henry.

Tammy - I have that finisher's medal from 2007!  The only year I've run a distance at the Ave - the 10k.

what???!! You ran it that year!! that was the year we had a large group meet up there also - SLOJim, Ileneforward and her husband, me, Johnny, Opie, LabDuck and his wife . . . who else?? i know i'm forgetting a few.

Tammy

I think the Ave is a race I would do again, and again and again.  Even with the long drive or complicated flight.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

TammyinGP

I think the Ave is a race I would do again, and again and again.  Even with the long drive or complicated flight.

that's the way I feel about it too, although I do have the advantage of it being less than a 4 hr drive so it's an easy wknd for me. But I do love it alot, which I suppose is evident given the fact I've gone there 4x for it now!  I also loved Newport and that is one I'll go back to do. that might even be my marathon next year.

Tammy

Mariposai

t  I also loved Newport and that is one I'll go back to do. that might even be my marathon next year.

Newport, is fun!

If you plan to do it, I plan to do it too.

Enkie, we can carpool and stay at mama's house.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

TammyinGP

yay Nancy!! Looks like we might have another potential meetup next year again!

Newport used to only have a full marathon, but this year they started a half also, so I think that'll increase the popularity of the race. It's a smaller size race also. I think a few yrs back when I ran it, there were only around 600-700 in it.  And maybe I could even talk Leslie into driving up to my place and then coming up with me for some cowbell cross training

Tammy