Masters Running

Tuesdaily 11.19.19 (Read 45 times)

Quick start and I couldn't even think of a clever caption.

Anne- I hope your back is doing better today.

Steve- glad Dunkin got out for his evening run.

Music talk-  I settled on oldies and country while I lived in Dallas.  I think I always liked country but wasn't exposed to it very much in college/law school.  Also like Rod Stewart and Bruce Springsteen.   But- country it pretty much is.  Don't like Florida Georgia Line, though.  And like all Taylor Swift- even the new stuff.

It rained a little this morning and while it stopped, I didn't trust it so I stayed in.  Boring 3.1 on the treadmill.  HR was high and I'm feeling tired.  Great start for Monkey week.....

Have a greta Tuesday.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

SteveP

Steve- glad Dunkin got out for his evening waddle.

Have a greta Tuesday.

FIFY

SteveP

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thanks for the start, KSA. Sorry about the high HR and the boredom, but at least you got your morning run done.

Run or waddle, Steve - at least Dunkin (and you) were out there).

I still like the R&R and blues music I grew up with, but have also explored and adopted different genre and artists over the years, and still am always on the lookout (hearout?) for new music to enjoy.

I wish I had thought to have Holly stand in for us in our cell phone and Medicare issues over the weekend: They probably would have been dealt with in a fraction of the time, and she would have been fun to watch.

I woke early this morning, and dozed a bit while waiting for just the right time to get up. Then I deliberated over what to wear 'cause the temps were on the cusp of being somewhat mild or somewhat chilly. I went with the 'chilly,' which was good because there was an unexpected wind-blown cool mist out there that left me rather damp. 6.8 RW miles in 36° at an average 11:42 pace, which wasn't too bad for a weekday.

Have a greta Tuesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Joe618

Mornin' all, thanks for the start Karen and good morning Jay and Steve and all to come along. 

Falcon, go for it...hope you get decent consideration!!!!   

Calm before the work-day storm here, so will get to it.   Hope to do 6 this afternoon.

Rock your Tuesday, with or without tacos.....

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Good morning folks (she said, typing with her one good eye) Thanks for the start Karen. What's your streak at these days?

Hey Steve - is winter off to an early start in Michigan too? We never had fall here!

Falcon - go for it! and good luck!

Mike -

Yes Jay, I'd like Holly on my side to deal with all of those problems you had over the weekend. Maybe she hires out, for a fee of course!

Hoping your storm isn't too much to get through today Joe. Good luck! And I'm sure you'll find a couple of tacos. Somewhere.

Another 5 miles on the treadmill at the Y this morning and 20 minutes on the recumbent bike. It was 34° here this morning and I was really tempted to walk outside. But in the dark, without clear eyesight I thought I'd be an accident waiting to happen. Hopefully the weather will stay like this for a while.

Music? Classic rock here. The Doors, the Stones, Pink Floyd. Throw in a little Dylan, Steely Dan and Doobies to jazz things up a bit.

Hope everyone's day is off to a good start!

...Back is Feeling Good this morning......(500-lbs of canned goods later)

==========

in the

For What It's Worth Dept-

my brother

has a theory of ''MicroTears'' in the back

if you don't do

Immediate Damage (which you'll KNOW Immediately)

the MicroTears

will inflame later that day resulting in pure agony that night

by using IcePacks (for about 20-min)

you

inhibit the Inflammation

>>>>>>>>>all I know is It Usually Works

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

anneb

Morning all.

I ran over to Lincolnwood this morning - ran on their path - added on a bridge (well overpass) and somehow misjudged my route and ended up with 6.25 (more wondered how I could be so off since I've literally run all these routes for 7+ years 😂). I blame it on not being able to do math while running. Decent temps (36) but heavy overcast (after it was light) and damp.

Karen - there is a Monkey half now? And they are different days? Does that mean there are people that are stupid enough to do both of them? 😉

Hope everyone has a great Tuesday.

Anne

Anne, I spend the last half of most of my races doing math in my head figuring what pace I have to run the rest in order to make a certain time. It would help if time were decimal-based instead of base 60 (wait, didn't the French try that in their revolutionary period?).

Steve, your story reminds me of the first time we introduced our DS to ice cream, before he was verbal (he's still not "verbal" but that's another story). He always had a mind of his own and as I tried to get him to lick the ice cream he just shoved my hand away. So I finally did what my wife describes as "shoving the cone in his face", but it was more of a gentle lip brush. As soon as he licked it off, he reached out to grab the cone, and the rest is history...

I had an incident-filled 3-mile run around the neighborhood this morning that running-wise was 100% better than on Sunday to the point where I considered doing another lap (but didn't want to push my luck). Three things of note:

1) When going around the house on the corner, I heard some bird-like sounds only to see two po'd-looking turkeys the size of Buicks on their lawn. Turkeys tend to get really defensive close to Thanksgiving, so I gave them a wide berth only to turn around and find that they were chasing me up the street! It's hard to speed up when you're laughing and hoping there are no witnesses, but I quickly outpaced them.

2) I had to slow down to a slow walk at one place where there was some black ice on the road and as I passed one of the known high-traffic deer crossings in the area, I saw two young deer just back from the curb. I thought they would shy away, but they let me pass close enough to almost reach out and touch them. It was a cool moment.

3) About to pass a side street I saw a car coming up to the stop sign. I was running in the middle of the road and assumed he would stop before turning right, but he started to come on through until I yelled at him and jumped to the side. He waved apologetically and it wasn't really that close, and he later came down my street apparently looking for me and stopped to apologize again.

When I approached my street on the return, I had to go by the house with the turkeys again, but the waste pickup trucks were already coming down the street and probably scared them away. Whew!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Nice wildlife run, Roch!

Anne- yes. This is the inaugural Monkey half and it was limited (I think 250).  It's Saturday, unfortunately.  I hoped it would be with the full so I could see everyone and still run the half.   And, yes, some idiots will do both.  The half was first come, first served unlike the full which is "lottery" (or- who you know....)

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Dave59

Ran 3.03 miles this morning at the park. I don't know where I'll be running in a few days. I don't see any obvious rural streets or parks nearby. But I'll figure something out.

So, what's your thoughts on getting older (above 85)? It seems like people's traits become exaggerated as they age. Likable people become more likable, controlling people become more controlling, etc. I wonder if there is anything we can do to not let our worst traits be our main thing if we live long enough. At the current time, I'm around a lot of older people and I see what I would like and would not like to become if I happen to make it that many more years. In many cases it isn't very pleasant.

dnaff

Doug, Big as a Buick is one of my favorite sayings.  Glad the turkeys didn't get you.

Falcon, go for it!  What an honor that would be.

Our cat stopped eating and drinking a few days ago and yesterday was the time for that last trip to the vet....I've been out of sorts obviously.  Pierre was 19 and not that great of a cat, but I will still miss him.

I am hopeful the ongoing cold rain (3 days worth) ends this afternoon.  I'd rather have snow than cold drizzle.  If it does I should be able to get out for a clear my head run late afternoon.

dnaff - Sorry to hear about Pierre.  That's a good, long life for a kitty cat.  We're closing in on 18 for The Zig-Meister.

Roch - Nice wild run!  The Sedlec Ossuary - The Hub had read about it.  It was quite a ways outside of Prague and we had to navigate getting train tickets and riding the train and figuring out where to get off.  The place was really very cool.  We also ended up meeting a nice young man later that day who drove us back to the train station when we realized we were very short on time to catch the last train back to Prague and had about a mile or so walk ahead of us.

Sounds like your back's feeling a bit better, Tom.

Surly - What the heck are you doing with that stuff?

I ate WAY too much at last night's bday dinner event (not mine, a friend's).  Tacos and bundt cake.  By the time I got home, I was feeling fairly bulbous.   I finally forced myself out of bed this a.m. for a 40 min core/ST workout.  I always feel good after a workout, so I don't know why I have such a hard time getting up in the a.m. to do it.  Plans are for a round at the gym on the elliptical after work.  Gotta work off the calories I consumed.

Enjoy ~~

Image result for sedlec ossuary

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - I'm not sure it would have taken any less time, though...

Roch - don't let the turkeys get you down......

{{{Dnaff}}} - it's never easy.

DH was still in pain this morning from his back procedure yesterday, so he stayed home from work.  With him sleeping in, I slept a little later too, but got about 30 minutes of core and stability ball exercises in.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

...yep, Back is OK.......

==========

43-degrees, slight cold wind

.....60-min 3lb RC at soccerfields......

========

off to buy my 87-year old hiking buddy a B'Day Present

he

has told me some of the Funniest Stories I'd ever heard

(ex:

the time

his Big Brother got on board the WRONG SHIP during WW2

when

The Navy finally located him,

they stuck him on a MineSweeper for the rest of the war)

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Doug - I bet the errant driver was distracted by navigating, ta;king on the smart-phone, tuning the radio or something electronic that’s supposed to help driving.

Dave - ssshhhhh, I can't afford have DW thinking I might become even more stubborn and obstinate.

Dnaff - do cats have cat years ala the seven for dog years?

Steady rains through the night failed to produce anything near a rakable quantity of leaves so grabbed a grabber and, after pinching up six-or-seven dozen into a bucket, went on up to the Hillside for three rainy miles and the thousand stairs I like in what turns out to be the first time in 43 years of running that I’ve gone out to run in the rain in a non-race event just to go running for the sake of running.

Fortunately, lots of leaves up on the Hillside

trails but too soggy this morning to be crunchy.

Image may contain: 1 person, tree, plant, outdoor, nature and food

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)