Masters Running

run for fun? (Read 246 times)

mrrun

Do any of you run for fun and not worry about the hill workouts, race pace, and miles run? Although I’m primarily a lurker (although many of my runs are posted), my reasons for running are to feel better, enjoy the environment, maintain weight, camradarie, and lastly racing. Since we’re running Boston, I have to get long runs in, but today at lunch it was about the sun and the snow on the Charles. I have enough stress without adding the stress of ‘training’. I just want to have fun! marj
    wildchild

Carolyn

I'm kinda in between training and running for fun. Some people say you should know what the purpose of every run is, and most of my runs are only for the purpose of running. (does that count?) I follow no set schedule or training plan - I completely wing it. I try to do a long(er) run once a week, but if the weather's bad sometimes my long run is only 7 or 8 miles. I try to do something with a faster pace once a week, either tempo or wave run, but some weeks I don't have the energy. I run lots of hills but that's just because of where I live, not because it's a scheduled hill run. Most runs are just because I like to run. That said, I do track miles and sometimes pace in my log. I think if your running is meeting your own goals and needs, then you're doing it right.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Slo

Do any of you run for fun and not worry about the hill workouts, race pace, and miles run? Although I’m primarily a lurker (although many of my runs are posted), my reasons for running are to feel better, enjoy the environment, maintain weight, camradarie, and lastly racing. Since we’re running Boston, I have to get long runs in, but today at lunch it was about the sun and the snow on the Charles. I have enough stress without adding the stress of ‘training’. I just want to have fun! marj
        Well...... For some of us.........Training is Fun ! Smile I would guess though that those of us that fit my remark are in the minority. I suspect that most people here simply enjoy running for exactly the same reasons you do. As would I if there weren't so damn many races to do !

Marathon Maniac #957

Well, mostly I just run to eat.....Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

xor

I involve all those things when I train, but mostly I just run to meet chicks.

I sure as heck aint doing it for the money. For me training for and running competitive marathons is fun or I wouldn't do it That said - I don't really enjoy shorter races - so I don't do them. - I don't like the drugery of intervals or repeats etc. so I don't do them etc. And of course as Stevie Ray points out, chicks dig marathoners. Ray

Renee the dog

I mostly run to get away from hearing "Mommy Mommy Mommy" for a little while. Smile And yes, I run primarily for the joy of it. However, as a competitive athlete, I am trying to sharpen my skills to see how much I can progress (length --not really worried about time). I love racing because everyone is out there with a thousand different goals in mind, and there can be so many successes -- obvious or not -- on any given race day.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

I run so Holly can eat, I've stopped doing that.
                  Henrun

Marj, of course I run for fun. Running is one of the greatest joys in my life, next to being with youBig grin.
                    evanflein

Awww Henry! That's so sweet! And having met both of you, I can vouch for the fun factor you bring along. Like Nono, I run primarily to carve out that quiet "me" time that seems so hard to get otherwise. That being said... I also like to race and with that comes training. Sometimes the training gets to be a drag when you start worrying about missing or messing up a scheduled run, but mostly it's pretty good if you don't become a slave to it. Like Ray, nobody pays me to do this and if I don't want to do something, so what. The only one who knows is me. One thing I do find interesting though... if I run mostly for fun, why do I get so freaked out and anxious when I can't run for awhile (either schedule or injury)? Makes me think there's a little more than just "fun" going on here... Smile
                        I JUST WANT TO HAVE FUN!! Big grinBig grin
                        Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM