Masters Running

Sunday May 23rd Runs - Workouts - Rest - and Tapering (Read 625 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good Morning.....early to bed - early to rise....and enjoying some hot green tea .

No Byll dream last night....but we made one heck of a Marathon team (if someone didn't read about it the other day, their thinking )

I feel pretty darn good this morning, and will head out for a shorter run after while...prolly 6 miles or so, which will still be a 32 mile weekend, and 72 miles for the week.....Saaaaweet!

It was so great hearing about Tammy's 20 miler....she made it sound like she could have closed the deal yesterday, and I see a huge PR for her.....your training has ROCKED - WTG   (Laura's doing very well too, and should have a HUGE PR race too) I can't wait to see a lot of RA people again - or for the first time, but I especially can't wait to see Laura again, as we still communicate with each other almost everyday.

Holly, no I don't / didn't carry 2 liters of water with me as that would be impossible I would think. And I am the one who talks about not needing much if any water, even on longish runs. But I did buy me a hand held 22 ounce hydration bottle, and had a smaller 8 ounce one on my fuel belt. I was sweating sooooo profusely even at mile 1, that by the time I had reached 5 miles, I figured I had filled up my bottles and drank about the 2 liters I talked about....don't know how I could have drank more, and stay hydrated. But I think the sun may dry the air out this morning, and maybe it won't be quite so humid for your run....I hope.

Boy Erika....we really did have very similar runs (I just read your yesterdays post) I think I may need some S Caps myself, I ran out and just never bought anymore. But I did bring some salty snacks with me on my run like pretzels and cashews.....is that still a good kind of sodium for long runs and fluid loss? I totally understand why you are running 20 miles...I want to make 20 milers part of my regular running routine, even throughout the summer.

Wow Karin......blistering fast 5K and Greta OA finish.....but not surprising from you!!!!!!!!!

Hi Nono...glad to see Ya....and runnin' too

Great racing Marj and Henry...always sooo nice hearing from you  

Yeah, don't short change yourself TomS....awesome 5K!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry about your schedule Slo....man, there are some super races going on around here Brother.

Sarge, I will have to remember the......I gave blood excuse, I coulda used that yesterday 

Walt, hope you had a nice time with your Girls............speedy guy!

Nice 10 miler Jlynne.....your going to do GREAT

TimTomwhite.....funny about what you said about the teenie's in the pool....been there myself and it can be irritating.

Dave59....it is hard starting off a 5K race after standing around 30 minutes, and the muscles thinking  .....well done after a longish run.

Mary I agree with you, and can't believe the investigator wants to wait till Monday to get my full report....what a slap in the face to the family if they knew this. The investigator was asking me questions about where exactly did I see this and that, and I said.....wouldn't be best if we went to the location so I could show you and not try and explain on the phone. Funny when you said - I think I am an alien from the opposite planet Byll is from 

That was a sneaky RR PerfesserR......I almost didn't even see it.....would love to hear more details Ya know

Nancy........2 weeks off runnin'.....don't think you would be very nice to be around if Ya didn't run for that long 

Soooo very nice to have Joey back with us...............you were missed

Tramps.........don't make us send a posse to find you

Hope Everyone has a Great and Blessed Day, no matter what you have planned.....Life is Good, Yes?

TomBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

SteveP

Dave59....it is hard starting off a 5K race after standing around 30 minutes, and the muscles thinking  .....well done after a longish run.

SteveP

Got 14 5th graders to both the starting and finish lines this morning. I will post a RR after the race director posts times later today. A great day for a run, all the kids had fun, and even had two alumni who ran as 5th graders last year show up to run again. Definitely a good day.
        dg.

good morning!

no time to read this morning, just a quick post of this morning's run because (all things considered) it made me happy.  at the river for the first time in quite a while.   no geese attacks.    7.06 miles, 9:56 av. pace, 8:53 max.  HR, well, av. 172, max 183.   will read through the discussion the other day, haven't had a chance yet.

anyway, this was really the first day, maybe Fri. just a little, when I felt like I might get it back.  not the same 'it' as ya'll have, but at least my version!    so, Smile

eek re yesterday, Tim & Erika be careful!!!

late, gotta run. 

Well, I think I figured out my main problem and matched dg with a 7-mile run at the best pace I've done in months.. It was basically a case of compensating for an injury and causing another "injury" as a result -- something I've had happen before. I think that favoring my old hamstring injury had me shortening my stride to the point that my hips really stiffened up from lack of range of motion.

Today I opened up my stride and took my pace from the 10s down into the 8s for a few stretches, finishing up at a surprising 9:30 average over the longest distance I've done in a while. So now I'm more ready for the real running season.

Afterward I stopped at a friend's house to see his garden. He has a rambunctious Black Lab (dropout from Leader Dog School) who spent the whole time licking my legs, which I'm sure were nice and salty.

Then I drove home looking forward to having a cup of coffee from the extra-large pot that I brewed before I left, only to find that my DDW had just about finished it off! But after I guilted her a bit on it she did fix me a nice large cup of french-pressed java so I could enjoy it while I read the Sunday paper.

Life is good, and feeling better now that I can run again! Have a good one, everyone, and get the weekend RRs in ASAP.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #3309

Well, after 2 days of running......................sun and heat, beats cloudy and soupy any day. Was 72 degrees and sunny when I ran my 6 miles this morning, and other than just "normal" sweating, I felt fine and didn't sweat that much. Funny how that works, but my legs didn't feel like a ran 26 miles yesterday...felt sproinky actually....but I will take it. Thought about you Enke, and took my shoes off and walked / jogged for prolly 1/2 mile or so....felt good. You will get used to your Vibrams, and will notice a difference in your running.

Everyone must be out running or enjoying the day..................means Happy Happy People

That's really cool Craneium, can't wait to hear all about it...love what you do for kiddos

Hi Deb.....thanks, me and Erika will be careful (yeah right) Nice run BTW..................but there again, another Lady with a high HR like that....that's 5K HR for me....but we all are different (thank goodness)

Well, off to Wally World - Applebees for Lunch - the R&R the rest of the day...

TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

wildchild

Carolyn

I'm just catching up on the past couple of days' goings on around here.  My work trip to Alabama was good, but I don't know how you guys do humidity.  I got up early to run before work on Thursday and Friday, which I never do at home.  Even at dawn it was in the 70's and humid.  Yuck.  My pace was slower than at 9,000 ft.   I'm not sure if it was because of the humidity or the early hour, but I felt like a slug.  I'll take the thin, dry mountain air any day.

Nono, you would DRIVE to the Twin Cities marathon?  I hadn't even thought of that - I looked it up on Mapquest, and it's "only" a 14 hour drive from here - closer than you are! 

Karin, great 5K yesterday for you and your kiddo!

TimWhite, that pool party yesterday sounded interesting!  I know you said you couldn't get out of there soon enough - the girls in bikinis couldn't make up for the shrieking? 

Nice racing for Marj, Henrun, and Marj's DD yesterday!  Henry, so nice that they made a whole AG just for you!

Tammy, great 20 miler for you and Laura yesterday. You're gonna rock your  marathon!

Dave and Tom, nice racing for you guys yesterday, and fun that you met at the race.  You've met in "real life" before?

PerfesserR, do you call that a RR?   I think a trail marathon deserves more than 3 sentences.

No run for me yesterday - it was DD's high school graduation.  She got to sit on the stage with the 4 valedictorians (I guess they tied for highest GPA) and the graduation speakers, because she's a national merit finalist.  The only one the school has had for several years, so she got a special award.  We're sure proud of her!  Graduation was outside at a local stadium, and It was extremely windy.  The kids kept losing their  mortar board hats.  Every time a hat went sailing away the kid would go sprinting after it, so this does tie into running. 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mariposai

Got 14 5th graders to both the starting and finish lines this morning. I will post a RR after the race director posts times later today. A great day for a run, all the kids had fun, and even had two alumni who ran as 5th graders last year show up to run again. Definitely a good day.

Now, this posting made MY DAY!!!!

Congrats Creneium. What a legacy and a gift to are giving to those kids. I can't wait to read the RR.

Erika, I hear your frustration. I am on the same boat, wanting to find a fast course, but schedule or money would not allow me to travel much the rest of the year. I have a few local, hilly in the Mt. or around a lake marathon that I will do before Athens, but that is it. Now, if you are coming to Seattle...I may see if I can swing that. Keep me posted.

A lazy morning reading in bed. I still have some more vegetables to plant. I am thinking on a short run later this afternoon.

Ilene...welcome to the Maniac Club. I am so proud of you dear sistahhhh.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Looking forward to your report Craneium--I remember grinning while reading last year's version---complete with great photos. Congratulations on another successful season with the kids and for your leadership of an important program.

I told my in-laws to look for kids wearing the logo. My MiL was school board president, so she was particularly excited.

Congratulations to your daughter wildchild.

Nice to see the miles building for you dg and without pain.  you so deserve stress free runs and workouts.

16.4 mile progression run for me at 7:30 am---not too humid and just overcast, low 60s at the start and low 70s at the finish. Started off at 8:30 pace and brought it down under 7:30 for the last miles. felt good. It was far less fun to run solo, so I listened to Podrunner downloads geared to increase my pace. The beats get intense to a point where I was feeling chased, but it worked.

Good run rochrunner, but if someone left a nice big pot of coffee, I would have done the same!

Mariposai--I read The Help a few months ago and devoured the words. 

You were smart to get your run in early, Karin....I just finished my easy 10, and pulled off my bandana to reveal what might be the world's most ridiculous tan line, straight across my forehead.

10.3 easy, 8:39's

Walt

Craneium great work with the kids...

Slo nice marathon & race report

Tim I'm glad to see you're recovered from yesterday

Easy 8 mile club run this morning.

Everyone is welcome to use the "I gave blood yesterday" excuse, but you must actually donate blood first.  

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Tim - call ‘em up and say you’ll be over at the site at ____ a.m. or p.m.
                          and would appreciate a chance to show ‘em exactly where, etc.

is it a voluntary taper PR posie?
                          ten K Fitness-for-Vitality for last run
                          before the Newport goddessfest, . . . I mean, oysterfeast, . . . I mean marathon.
                          It’s a monthly series in various local parks

Very cold and gusty today.  46 degrees.  RD said it was the coldest of the year so far. . 

Erika,  Now, if you are coming to Seattle...I may see if I can swing that.x

Secret message to divechief
                          Llar etfau oyh tiw noh tar am elt taesehtr of pun gist hgimi

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Dg – good news!

Wildchild – congratulations to your DD!

Walt -

Craneium - nice job, and I'm looking forward to the race report.

22.20 miles for me today (ave pace 9:48, not including stops for water/portopotty).  My last ridiculously long run before the 50K in 2 weeks.  I didn’t want to push the distance any longer than this with only a 2-week taper because I was afraid my legs would still be tired on race day if I did.

Temps ranged from 60° at the start to around 70° when I finished.  Heeding Timbo’s advice, I tried to pay special attention to hydration, stopping at every water fountain on the river path for a quick drink.  5 swallows at each of 8 water fountains, maybe 40 oz. of water?  I was only about 2 lbs lighter at the end of the run (and that with a couple potty stops), so this must have been enough water.  A cup of coffee before I started, 3 S-caps and 3 gels during the run – energy felt fine.  In fact, I felt surprisingly sproinky, in spite of the distance and the warmish temps.  And 9:48 for an average pace on a run this long, with a nice negative split, where I wasn’t even trying to push it, makes me very happy.

Timbo – I have a bottle of S-caps – want me to bring some extra to the race? 

Home from DD’s end-of-season pizza party, and now time to work on staining the deck with DH and patching the back fence so our little dog won't escape.    

Happy Sunday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

craneium, congrats to you and your 5th graders.  dg and roch, you both had nice runs this morning.  wild, congratulations to your daughter on her graduation.

Nice long runs for Tammy, evan, CNY (progression), Walt, and holly.

This morning, it was in the mid 60s, calm, and humid.  I got in 6 miles, including a trip over the big hill, in about 58:40 for a 9:46 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy Sunday all.  A semi-momentous occasion for me today--I have a new longest run, ever.  7.84 miles at a 10:19 pace.  Granted it was only by a few 10ths, but it was a couple of years ago.  I managed very consistant miles except for the 6th, but was still very happy with the overall results.  Decided that if I want to eat a banana before the run, I need to have slightly less ripe ones--unpleasant banana burps in the later miles.  I only went through 16oz of water--it was bout 60 and humid when I left.  I think I'm going to start carrying something to wipe my face and glasses as these plastic clothes really suck at getting sweat off.

We have people coming for a cook out and DW is getting a little nervous--apparently this doesn't count towards getting ready.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.