Masters Running

Thursday 10/15 Rests, Runs and Taper Madness (Read 405 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning!

Rest day, Rest day!!  Boy, did I sleep like a baby .... or maybe a log seeing as I awoke in the same position that I fell asleep.   I am pretty sure I didn't move all night long.   I think the hard cider might have contributed to that just a little. 

Happy Thursday .... almost big marathon weekend!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

My last 3 little miles were run at 40° this morning.  Dark and damp.  I won't run tomorrow because we'll have to get on the road early, and I never run the day before a marathon, so this is it.

Big weekend around here!  Good runs everyone.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Slo

Wishing you guys great Marathons !!!!!!!

I'll be watching for results !

Thanks, slo!

As PDR said, chilly and damp.

5.1 miles, 46:04, 9:05/mi, AHR 137 (70% MHR)

Adductor might be a bit better.  Resting tomorrow will help as well.  I'll run a couple of miles on Saturday.

Best of luck to all the other racers this weekend (wow, TomD I thought we were nuts Smile )

10/17 fussyrunner - Liz Hurley 5K ribbon run

10/17 TomD -  Kansas City Marathon, Kansas City, MO 

10/18 TomD - Des Moines Marathon Des Moines, IA

10/18 Tramps - Baystate Marathon, Lowell, MA

10/18 Deez4boyz - Baystate 1/2 marathon, Lowell MA 

10/18 Holly S. - Columbus Marathon, Columbus OH

10/18 bergre1 - Columbus Marathon, Columbus OH

10/18 dg - Columbus Marathon, Columbus OH

10/18 nj joe - Asbury Park Marathon Relay- Asbury Park, NJ

10/18 Sarge - Mount Desert Isle Marathon, Bar Harbor ME

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Morning, gang!

dg - savor this first marathon - I know once you finish one you'll be as hooked as the rest of us!

Leslie - no chocolate??? You have my deepest sympathy!

Impromptu sleep in this morning.  I got home late last night, and DH and I debated whether or not to get up early to work out.  I gave in and agreed to get up at the usual time and substitute a weight workout for the usual run (to give the hamstring a break).  When the alarm went off, DH rolled over and suggested that we sleep in.  Of course, I was wide awake by that time, but I managed to  grab a few more zzz's.

Our  25 year vet class reunion is happening in a few weeks.  We just received notification of the unexpected passing of one of our more colorful classmates.    He was involved in a particularly bad car accident a number of years ago that left him permanently disabled.  He turned to the bottle and lost his wife, children and practice.   One of our other classmates was encouraging him towards sobriety, and he was excited about the reunion and had made plans to attend.  As the class poet laureate he was in the midst of composing the class reunion poem.  He will be missed.

I've placed my order for good weather for all of the weekend racers!!  Hope I put it in early enough. 

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

Drizzling and chilly this morning, so I opted for the comfort of the TM.

4 easy-paced miles @ (10:00)

Dg – I know what you mean about sometimes liking your throwaway stuff too much.  I have a red zip-up Adidas sweatshirt that I plan to wear Sunday for the first few miles, until I get warmed up, and then dump at a hydration station, but it’s kind of cute, so I hate to part with it, even though I got it at a thrift store for about $3 just for that purpose.

Twocat - that sounds so strange, but I hope it works.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

tetsujin209 here it was I always thought tapering meant go longer and harder.   Did I get that wrong?

evanflein if you are claiming it was chilly on your run last evening I hate to think how cold it was!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

wildchild

Carolyn

Holly and Deb, if you like your throwaway jacket too much to part with, just tie it around your waist when you warm up!

Posting last night's run:  a delightful 5 trail miles in a pretty state park about halfway home from work.  About half was in the woods, fallen leaves crunching underfoot, and half was through a meadow with the single track dirt trail snaking through waist high grass.  Mid 60's and windy.   Man, I love trail runs.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Slo

Anyone seen breger1 today ?

I was wondering if he caught that little news piece on NBC Network news about Martin Guitars last night.

Slo, no I hadn't seen it.  I was working late and then Choir practice.  But I just pulled up the videos via Google.  Very cool.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

evanflein

Holly, I pulled a thermal long-sleeved top out of the giveaway pile (a DS2 castoff) for the Equinox, intending to leave it at a water stop along the way, but I never really warmed up enough to leave it. When I did, I was in the woods with nowhere to drop it, so I did tie it around my waist and took it home. Aamos suggested hanging onto it because it had good karma, and I took it to Victoria last week. Gave it to DH at the 4k water stop, and lo and behold, it came home again, is all washed and folded and in my dresser. It's not particularly cute, but seems to have a good aura... you might see it in Boston!

PDR, I always have "2 easy with striders" on my schedule the day before, but I think I've only done it once. Seems the day before a race is always too busy to fit that in anyway!

Brought stuff to RAL or right after work, but not sure I brought enough. I thought it was low 20's on the way in to work, but the weather site says 19 now. Highs only up to 40 today... now Twocat, that's what I mean by chilly! Main problem is I get earaches if I don't wear a headband, and that just totally messes up the 'do for the rest of the day.

Man, I love trail runs.

I think I'll have to agree with that statement!

Sue - The chocolate thing.  Luckily, I'm more of a chip person, but there are those times when I would kick a baby out of the way to get to a Snickers bar.

Good Luck to all the racers this weekend!!  dg - You're gonna have a blast!

30 min of cycling whilst watching my new TV.   Unfortunately, I've hooked something up wrong and couldn't get the blu ray player to work.   Oh well.  Then it was about 1.5 hrs of core/strength.  . . . . then it was a brief argument w/The Hub about packing for our trip.  He'll get over it.  Plus, I got his suitcase all packed up before I left for work.

Had to go digging for all my cold weather running gear.  Cripes - I'm taking as much running crap as I am regular clothes!

Later ~

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Yum, hard cider.  Were there donuts? 

Sue, that vignette about your classmate is today's reminder to be grateful for all I have.   Sad he won't make it to the reunion. 

Good luck weekend warriors!

--Erika, that shirt has more than karma.  Isn't that the one that seemed to have a mind of its own at one point when you trying to get it off of you? 

dg, have a blast.

I like trail runs, it's just that they don't love me.  I fall or hike.

Lost my security card running last night (it gets me in and out of the courthouse) so I'm off to look for it in a few minutes.  (Good excuse to run slowly today!)

grins,

A

Masters 2000 miles
                              Good luck finding the card Aamos. Yikes!

Sorry about the cold weather fatozzig, but it felt like snow for a bit there while I was out running and it's in the forecast for tonight (no accumulation tho'....I hope). I'll try to think warm New England weather thoughts for next week. Have a blast here. Colors are spectacular!

Went out at 11 am after a morning of conference calls. Ran a bit more than planned but felt good. 8 miles at just under 8:00 pace. 39º and overcast. I am excited for all the racers I think.

Too funny on the throw away clothes. I still have a pair of thick polyester running pants that I just couldn't bear to part with at the NYC marathon years ago and I stuffed them in my pick up later bag at the last minute. Oh well. This year I am wearing one of my son's old coats for the pre-race wait---no attachment.

Sorry about the bittersweet news Sue.

More hugs for JLynne and family and baby Will

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

tetsujin209 here it was I always thought tapering meant go longer and harder.   Did I get that wrong?

2 

there ya go again cat smiley #6114, fallin' under the Butterflyspell, the SoCal pr queen one and others.

why don't they all just go out and run a marathon today and another one tomorrow?

what's the running world coming to?

uhmm, though I'm only up to 38 since the Labor Day half mary, maybe we could combine

our total taper days and get a corner on the market.  There's a lot of runners in the longer

and harder category who can't seem to say no no matter what. 

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)