Masters Running

Happy Easter - Master Runs and such (Read 413 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning...and what a lovely morning it is here in Central Indiana. Hey, I could get on RA this morning from home. Web Tv folk gave me some ideas through my settings, to make it more easy to get on here...yea! Guess what great thing happened to me yesterday? Friday night I hade a very vivid dream that I ran 20 miles Sat. I woke up Sat morning with my next in a series of long runs...16 miles. My last long run was two weeks ago (14 miles), as I am adding two miles every other week...kinda on a hurried up schedule for Seattle (thanks for your help Holly!) Normally for 16 miles I would not take my fuel belt, water or anything with me. But I dug it out and loaded it with water - gels - and S Caps...not really planning on running more than the 16 miles. To make a long story short (as people roll their eyes, lol) I indeed ran my 16 miles and once I made it home I still felt SUPER. I went ahead and ran 2 more miles out, and the 2 miles back to make 20 miles on my run...I was sooo excited. Yes I did drink all my water, and took my gels and S Caps just like I would on a 20 miler or long race. The only time I started feeling tired was at mile 19.5 but it was easy to finish from there. Question, as I asked Holly too...how the HECK is it possible for a person go from 14 to 20 miles in one leap... really. Cool, because I can now run 5 20 plus milers getting ready for Seattle, and look forward to adding some quality speed and track work...but really mostly MP miles. I am sooo thrilled and happy if you can't tell. Oh yeah: 20 easy miles - 3:05:26 - 9:16 ave pace - IRC with sunny skies and 45 degrees,light winds. Just think, a few days ago I talked about my legs being "totally toast"...funny how this sport is sometimes. And I had a good tempo run Thurs night, which should have made me tired yesterday with DOMS sitting in. Tet, HA at mile 16 Hope everyone has a Blessed and Great day...I love all of you!!! Heading out pretty soon for a easy 7 miler, to give me 50 miles for the week again. Cool too, as my legs feel super good this morning... but will need to take it easy tomorrow with just a short recovery run (before Ribs tells me to take it easy and recover Mon) TimBo...still sag free, LOL. (did I mention how pretty she is) PS: Guess dreams really do come true sometimes (grins)

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Tim-Obviously you are blessed,nice run,glad to see you back so strong...
      Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
      SteveP

Sweet run Timbo My Easter route takes me past Camp Pugsley in Kingsley MI. I thought of Gordon when I went past it. The dog and I spent nearly 4 hours delivering eggs and goodies this AM. I'm the one in the Batman shirt I'm very proud of him. Something here didn't look quite right DD#3 did these...I don't understand her

SteveP

biketm it is possible to go from 14 to 20 by risking injury dude. Be careful! Absolutely take tomorrow off, and I mean off, if you feel any twinges anywhere. Of course, you may be fine in which case do whatever the heck you like! Oh on the belt thing, I run with one whenever I go 14 or more miles. What is the point of starving your body of water and fuel on a training run? I have seen coaches (and I use that term reluctantly here) advocate leaving the fuel behind. Their claim is that if your body is used to running without fuel then when you take some in during race you will be super energized. So far as I can tell this is backed up by nothing. Zero, zip, not a single study. I can just as easily tell the opposite story. By taking fuel along your training runs your body learns to use it as you run making the energy all the more available during a race. Who is right? I have no idea, but neither do these coaches. But I do know a 14+ mile run sans fuel seems awfully long to me and since nobody is paying me to do this why torture myself?

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #3309

Twocat...I know I know I know. But everything feels perfect. No pains, twinges, nothing...and after what I went through, I am being very careful, really. It would have been a shame stopping yesterday feeling THAT good. As far as fueling, I am talking about cold weather running. In the summer I do indeed pay closer attention to these matters on long runs. It's just me I guess, but I don't really need anything for runs 2 hours or shorter...I think everyone is different in this regard. I think it's funny when I see people wearing fuel belts on 3 mile runs. Really, I am so tuned into my body right now,that I am NOT going to let something stoopid happen. I feel the MOST important thing,is to be properly hydrated before the run. Then I think a person can go a long way without water. As a person with a big cycling back ground, with 6 to 8 hour training rides. I know proper fueling and water needs...I had to, or I wouldn't make it. TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

nice run Tim!! Steve -- you are AWESOME!! chocolate chocolate chocolate i have chocolate yummy yummy yummy time to get ready for church, go to mom's for dinner, then work at 7p have a wonderful day my friends!!

denise

Steve - those eggs are very cool. DD's are cute/pretty, but yours are. well, unusual. Last Sunday run today. 8 miles on a hilly course at 9:52 pace. Just a couple easy runs left next week. We leave for Boston Thursday morning!

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Hill Runner

Good morning & Happy Easter! Tim, nice run! Cute pics SteveP A stunning Easter morning here, sunny with red & pink azaleas blooming everywhere. 13.1 miles of hills @ 8:52 pace no water or gels. I am ready for Boston...I just hope that the weather turns out nice and I can't wait to meet everyone next weekend, especially some of folks from the old CR forum from 3 1/2 years ago that still post here now. Enjoy the day!

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                  Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                  Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Marathon Maniac #957

Timbo – you are indeed blessed! SteveP – I love the Batman eggs! 14.5 miles for me today in 33-40 degrees (after the early morning egg hunt). I was chugging along at what is for me a somewhat brisk pace (ave. 9:50 for the first 12 miles), but somewhere around mile #13 I ran out of steam. I mean really ran out of steam. I had to take several walk breaks to make it home. Could I still be tired from a marathon a week ago? At least I am happy to report that nothing hurts. My knee was feeling a little creaky and twingy earlier in the week, but it felt fine this morning. Happy Easter!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Happy Easter to all my virtual running friends. Tim - great run yesterday. I think after all the pain and misery you went through, no one knows their abilities better than you do. As everyone else has already preached, PLEASE be careful! Steve - those eggs are awesome. Almost a shame to eat them, they're so beautiful. I especially liked the batman design. Also wanted to mention that Tag looks a lot happier in his batman cape than he did in the Easter bunny ears (must take after his father Wink Up early for sunrise services this morning, then DH took off for the golf course and I did an easy 5 miles at a 9:47 pace. I came SO close to 40 this week ( 1.8 short) - my highest mileage week since last year. PDR, WRFB, Peter and all of our other Boston people - I said a prayer this morning that you all have perfect conditions for next week. What's the extended forecast looking like? Taking it easy on jelly beans and stuff because I'm making scalloped potatoes and ham for our Easter Dinner. Oh yeah - brussel sprouts and asparagus too. Big grin Have a great Sunday everyone.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I don't really need anything for runs 2 hours or shorter...
                        timsy - good luck on your controlled deprivation training, especially if you can find some monster hills to practice at 16 mile. Were depriving for leftover Lent or something else? http://www.triathloncoach.com/articles/m2fuel.html - during training, endurance athletes should practice eating as little as possible while not bonking

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Tim, it's so cool to read about how pumped you are; WTG!!! I can't imagine wearing a belt. I have a hard enough time just getting in these long runs w/ the least amount of clothing possible.(and of course, my ipod Big grin ) I do set out 1 small cup of water; will have to increase to 2 when weather warms up. No fuel...but then I'm only doing 12+... Steve, thanks for sharing the pix..Eggs are adorable - how creative you and DD are! All you folks going to Boston...you rock!!! Only 3 measly miles for me this morning...not sure if it's the mind or the body, but the longer I run on Saturday, the shorter I run on SundayConfused
                            9 miles on a very secluded bike trail that's only 4 miles from home but is usually a little too busy with wildlife especially summer insects. Tim nice run I've never done an "easy 20 miler" in my life Roll eyes Steve the dog's shirt & cape are AWESOME It even looks like she loves wearing them Smile How did that spiderman egg get in there? Twocat I think training some with both methods of fuel & no fuel are needed. We need to "learn" to burn fat more efficiently and also to process gels etc. while on the fly. I think the run needs be longer than 1:30 before any of that even matters.

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Jlynne - I think the extended forecast calls for a cool rain -- at least that's what PDR told me. I try not to pay too much attention until a few days from the race. My last longer run was a 12 miler. I felt sluggish and achy but I think that's just taper madness Roll eyes. Nonetheless the pace was comparable with what I have been running my long runs at. 12.2 miles, 1:44:24, 8:33/mi, AHR 150 (77% MHR) with 4@9:07(138), 3@8:47(147), 5.22@7:58(160)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

10 sunny miles @ 8:55 pace. Day off tomorrow as I am going to my first baseball game of the year Big grin Go Tigers !!!!!! Its a day game and I am sure there is beer and peanuts waiting for me. Wink Steve, Nice eggs! I use a hydration belt for most runs over 12 miles especially in the warmer months. I also use gels on most of my 20 milers(nothing less though) as practice for my races. I have found out by trial and error that I need to use them earlier and more often while racing. During training though I usually will only use them late into a 20+ run and then sparingly. My thought is a little of both. I think the body needs to suffer a little to learn to cope but we aso need to finish these runs strong enough to carry on with our weekly training. Good runs everyone Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down