Masters Running

Thurs 1/15 Sunny Runs (Read 474 times)

Hill Runner

Good morning folks where is everyone? It's around 31F & sunny here which is just the way I like it 10.20 miles of hills @ 9:06 pace for me. I felt great this morning and got my 40+ miles in for the week already today. Some really cold weather is coming in the next couple of day.... {{{Healing vibes}}} for those that need it & Great runs everyone.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
    Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
    Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Renee the dog

Peter, I'm drinking coffee and having a slow morning. My husband said "Go run at lunch" as he knows I like midday runs this time of year, so I am going to do so. Big grin

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

dg.

good morning! -7F this morning. 4.79 mile run (on the gym track), 9:50 average pace, 8:24 max. ahr 162, mhr 181. 30 min. or so of 2 sets lower body weight machines, stab. ball side planks & russian twists. a quiet round of applause oh please because i stopped at that .79. Wanted 5, noticed a slight limp in my reflection on the windows. and stopped. Why is that so hard to do? That's just stupid. but it is. anyway. 1 smart choice for the week. a traffic jam on the way home, it took 45 min. instead of 15, so i'm more late than usual. better go. I hope all is well. hugs to all those needing them, which is a lot right now.
        Tramps

Lots of news yesterday. Hope Enke, Cranium, and others are okay and things are quiet today. 25F and windy so I dug out the long pants for just the second time this season. Weather turned out to be fine but my legs were without energy today. A sluggish 12 miles even @ 8:40. Stay warm.

Be safe. Be kind.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

4 Magical Healing Miles on gently rolling hills in 37:55 (9:29 pace, AHR 138). Nice 34F and clear. Tomorrow will be a different story....brrrrrr

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

I will be back later post doctor visits, yes visits with an "s." Sad First with the doctor used by the track team to see about my leg, which seems to be getting better on its own now that I am sitting on this silly cushion with holes under my sore spots. Roll eyes Then later with the urologist about whatever it is I have. They have me on Cipro and it makes me feel pretty lousy. For the first time in years I have absolutely no desire to run and yesterday bagged it. We will see about today. If I do go it will, worse yet, have to be on the TM. It is snowing now and about 11° out. The way I feel there is no way I am going out in that! Oh yes, anybody here that posts about running in 40+ degree weather today I am going to find you and hunt you down! If it is Ribs I am going to take your family hostage until you do 6x800m intervals at 5K (yes 5K!) pace! Big grin Jlynne see -5° out that is what I like to see right about now! biketm a long slow recovery is not as bad as you think. Each week will bring dramatic improvements that will be exciting to experience. Just keep track from week to week and not from when you got hurt to now. Eventually you will be better than ever. stumpy77 the doctor news is a drag. Hopefully all of the repeat exams will occur relatively quickly. EGH3 yea a 12° run! Craneium best wishes for you father and your family. tselbs a man after my "I hate running in brutally cold weather" heart! Mariposai nice intervals. Yes, I am back at "work." It goes in quotes as I spent all day yesterday going over expense reports with our business office to try and collect the money I am owed. It seems they now think the restaurant bill is not "proof of payment." They want the credit card receipt too. What if you pay with cash I asked. They said just write paid with cash on the bill. Roll eyes Who comes up with these rules? evanflein congratulations on making it back home! Only you, and well a few others here, could even think of something like "I wonder if I can fit in an extra marathon between now and Boston?" enkephalin gee and I thought I was going to be by far the winner of the "most exciting day" award for the week! Well err, thanks(?), for making it close . . . or sorry you made it close . . . or . . . Well actually I am glad to read it all turned out ok and you now seem fine. Oh yes, next time somebody wants to know how long a marathon is tell them a marathon is only 6 miles and they should sign up for one! Evil grin dg. thanks for asking, see above for current status! By the way Runners World's web site has a whole page of links to ab workouts if you want to see a whole bunch of them. CNYrunner I had no idea you are hurt. I hope you recover quickly. I have a grudge match with you to prepare for this spring at the Iron Horse HM! Smile You better be there and ready! wildchild even if it is slushy before you post about a 40+ degree run outside today you might want to read my warning above! Clowning around mainerunnah somehow I suspect 14° may seem warm up where you are today! All I can say is where is global warming when you need it? Big grin

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

enke, your heart scare sounds like an experience one doesn't need. My first thought was that you should have called 911 immediately instead of driving yourself to the doctor. I'm glad that things worked out and hope you learn more about what happened and what to do about the situation. It was eye opening to find out how many others have had similar problems. SLO, you have quite an interesting running history. Congrats on your year without smoking. CNY, sorry to hear you are on the DL. I hope it's short term. anachrotech, sorry to hear about your brother in law. I hope things improve for him and his family. Nice long run, Peter, and good job on the speedwork, mariposai. This morning, I passed on another chance for the "more miles than degrees club". It was about -8 or so and I did the TM. I got in 5 miles at 1% and 6.2 mph (9:40/mi). While getting ready to hop on the the TM, I was watching the local news. The weather guy called a local superintendant to ask about weather conditions and how they decide to cancel school. The superintendant is a runner that I know from local races. He gets called a lot by the local TV station about school issues as he's a real nice and approachable guy. When they got him on his cell phone his first comment was, "you caught me while I was out running". The weather guy, who's also a runner said, "I knew you were running since I could hear the snow crunch". A good day and good runs for all. TomS
                  Quick post, did 10 last night in the treadmill...nice and easy pace plan on doing 5 today. Will be driving north to back to Connecticut tomorrow to see the wife and kids, so if I have to choose between getting a post or a run in I'm going to take the run.... should be back to blogging on Saturday. laters, karl
                  Mariposai

3 miles slow on blackiceDead Got an email from tetsujin saying something like...he was having fun with his 13 barefoot girfriends in Japan...wow

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

lamerunner

Good morning. January and cold in NH. Around here it is about 10 now, 0 or below up north. Very little wind though. Back when I could run, I used to like these cold mornings. Karin, so sorry you are hurt. I can relate. Two months completely on the DL with bakc and sciatic issues, and two months before that running in pain. I am learning to embrace (again) cross training, but I miss the simplicity of running. First steroid injection is mid-February so I hope to get running more then. About 60 minutes on my trusty though rickety spin bike this morning. Maybe some elliptical later if time permits. Lots more logistics when cross training. Tim be patient with the running, and .... neither jdmom nor I are guys. both lawyers though, or lawyerinas! Hugs to all the wounded and happy running to the rest of you.

#artbydmcbride

{{{{all the hurting runners}}}} {{{all the runners in cold weather}}} Heat wave here continues, I ran last night with the usual running club and also henrun and Marj in easily high 70s temperatures! We had a delightful visit and dinner and they were a hit with the local club. Smile

Runners run

EGH3 yea a 12° run!
                          Heh, it was only 4 or 5 degrees this morning but no wind so it wasn't so bad. I did have icicles on the eybrows and eyelashes though. Lower legs were a little achy so only did 4 easy miles. Tomorrow I'll be hitting the weights and running 4 easy miles on the treadmill. Forecast is for somewhere between -4 and -8 degrees for morning lows so I'll stick to the warm confines of the gym.

munchkn883

Staying in today...resting and washing clothes!
                            Tramps

While getting ready to hop on the the TM, I was watching the local news. The weather guy called a local superintendant to ask about weather conditions and how they decide to cancel school. The superintendant is a runner that I know from local races. He gets called a lot by the local TV station about school issues as he's a real nice and approachable guy. When they got him on his cell phone his first comment was, "you caught me while I was out running". The weather guy, who's also a runner said, "I knew you were running since I could hear the snow crunch".
                              Funny story, Tom. It's great to see runners pop up unexpectedly. This reminds me of another similar funny incident I recently saw. The mayor of nearby Washington, DC, Adrian Fenty, is a tri-athlete who also runs local marathons. The weather guy on one of the local TV stations is also a marathoner. One day the mayor was on the morning news doing a regular “Ask the Mayor” segment, where viewers can call or e-mail questions. One of the questions was whether or not the mayor would run the National Marathon this year. (No sure yet.) As they’re wrapping up the segment, the weather guy’s voice from off-camera says, “Wait, wait, I’ve got a question for the mayor!” Mayor Fenty looks over, his eyes roll and he says, “I knew this was coming!” Weather guy says, “Mr. Mayor, what exactly was your finishing time at last year’s National Marathon?” The mayor laughs and says, “My finishing time was exactly one minute slower than your finishing time.” Big grin

Be safe. Be kind.

enke - scary... hope all turns out ok Cranium - hope your dad is ok EGH3 - welcome CNY - welcome back Cold again this morning about 22°F. No wind though, but dressed perfectly (I was worried about being overdressed). Afterwards, I was shivering when processing my metrics from the half liter of gatorade. 11.1 miles, 1:36:39, 8:41/mi, AHR 150 MTA: Tramps I think I saw that segment. For the record, Adrian Fenty's time was 3:40:05 (he was 37 so not a BQ). I guess the weather guy's time was 3:39:05, but I can't find it -- who was he, Tramps? Andrew Pollack ran that time, but I don't recall that name.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com