Masters Running

Race Reports for May 26& 27 (Read 27 times)

Mariposai

Wishing good luck to our racers!

We have Coastwalker and Opie on the Intrepid's thread.

ALL other racers are welcome to post their report here as well!

05/27 Coastwalker - Runner's Alley/Red Hook 5K, Portsmouth, NH

05/28 Opie - Bolder Boulder 10k, Boulder, CO

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

coastwalker

The Runner's Alley/Red Hook 5K was in Portsmouth, NH on Saturday. It was in the low-mid 50s under overcast skies, with a pretty good breeze. It was a cool breeze, and I wavered between short and long sleeves, and ultimately went short, which was the right choice. I saw a lot of friends before the race, which is always fun. I started about a third of the way back in the pack, and got up to speed fairly quickly. I tried, as I always do in running races, to pick off people ahead of me, as well as cut the tangents as well as I could. Mile 1 was good at 10:14, but 2 and 3 were sucky at about 10:30. I think I was thinking too much about what I was doing, and not just focusing on racing. By the time I got to the finish sprint and the last 10th, I had my pace down in the 9:50s, where I would have really liked it to be for the whole race, but I'd need more serious training to be able to hold that for the distance. So I finished in 32:33 with an average pace of 10:25. That was good enough for 1st place in the walker division (and a $100 award), and 7/16 overall in my AG. So, not as fast as I would have liked, but still a good race.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mike E

MM #5615

Wow—nice job, Jay.

Mariposai

Congratulations on your age win and cadh award. Your pace is  very fast for race walking!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

I really can't get over Jay's race walking pace.  Congratulations!  I've never seen you.  Do you have long legs?

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Excellent work as a professional race walker 

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

SteveP

Jay' It's hard to beat 1st in your division. Well done!!!

SteveP

Congrats!

My first Bolder Boulder was a blast and I would definitely do it again.  Total party atmosphere!  My time 56:43, Div. 69/266, Gender 5458/20991. Just wanted to take in the whole experience and maybe break an hour. Very excited that I ran strong!

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - cash prizes rock - well done!

Opie - that is a big race!  Well done!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Thanks Holly, and yes there were a lot of runners!  The final tally is in and it was 46205 so I finished in the top 16.7%.  That's what you would expect from my wave, DA, based on the Half in Nov. when I ran a 1:53:44.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

Mike E

MM #5615

Nice job, Opie!