Masters Running

Damp Thursday, 1.12.17 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Good 5K in shorts in January, Stumpy. Watch those bunnies...

Sorry about the lingering cold, Henry, but I'm glad you are taking advantage of the mild weather to get out for a 2.5 mi. walk.

Nice hill-free 5-miler, BerthaSlayer.

Good pool run, TW. Good advice against dressing like a carrot.

Tammy, that's one scawy wabbit (channeling my inner Elmer Fudd).

Good 7 on the TM, Holly. I can't comment on the TV tech stuff 'cause we're (happily) out of the loop.

Nice pool work, Pfriese.

I'm glad you are getting yourself back on kilter and symetrical, and that it feels good, Leslie. Good advice about trying on a skirt before wearing it to work - I'll remember that. I'm glad the pup got back home, even if it cost the owner.

I'm glad your 2-miler keeps you on target with your streak, Enke.

Sorry about the mileage mix up, Evanflein.

Good 5 on the TM, Rochrunner. Yep- crazy weather all over the place!

I hope Eric's birthday dinner was civil and tasty, Mike.

Good 3-miler new beginning Janie B.

Good 6.4 desert trail miles, WC. Sounds like a great trip!

Great story, Flats!

Get some rest, Catwhoorg and Mariposai.

Sorry about the slippery surfaces Steve.

Last night, I made pasta with caramelized cabbage, anchovies and bread crumbs. Sounds very strange, I know, but it was quite tasty, and we'll be making it again. Tonight is our wrap-up dinner for the 2016 Seacoast Half. And we are already getting applications from potential beneficiaries for this year's race, so we begin again. 6.6 walking miles this morning in a light drizzle, fog, wind, and 41F temps. My hamstring is doing well on these walks, except that I can still feel it pull on uphills. So I'll keep taking it easy till that pulling go away, and then I should be good to start ramping up again.

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Good morning Jay and all to follow. I'd really like some 41° temps, but I don't think those are in my foreseeable future! We got several inches of snow, then freezing rain on top of that and the conditions are pretty treacherous here the last couple of days. Always one to err on the side of caution, I went to the Y for 5:00. Good news! The resolution people are slowly leaving the building  5.5 miles on the treadmill and 25 minutes of weights and core stuff with plans to go back after work this afternoon to pool run with a couple of friends.

Thank you Jay, for the recap service you provide to all of us each morning. We really miss you when you're away. And glad your hammy is doing better.

Hope dinner went well Mike!

Have a great day everyone!

mrrun

HI J's and all to follow,

Ran yesterday and will again this afternoon, have a class this morning so no time, cause I don't get up at j o'clock or even 5 am Y time.  don't normally go 5 2 days in a row, but have to take advantage of the high 40's/50 maybe

years ago when i had some aches, i was sent to a chiro who told me my legs were different lengths and i needed 12 visits - i never went back.  for me aches are generally caused by piriformis or itb and i know the exercises (note i don't do the exercises, i know them!)

enjoy the warmth east coasters and wishing whatever weather you want to the rest!

marj

..fatozzig//.....back when I got Shingles

from the BackSpasms Pain,

they found my Right Leg was slightly longer than my Left,

so

they gave me a Heel Cushion to raise my Left Leg slightly,

it worked Great>>>>>>I started getting BackSpasms on the OTHER side of my Back

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

You guys are on a roll this morning!  Funny stuff!  And Flats, you had me going on that "robbery" story.  

Things feel better, but not as significant as I had hoped.  At least I didn't feel as stiff on my run this morning - 6 miles this morning in surprisingly chilly conditions - colder than expected, considering it was dumping rain at 9:30.  We're not supposed to get anymore rain 'til Tuesday, and we definitely need the break.  You can check out the flooding here  on FB.

And egads am I slow now!  I didn't know how I could possibly get slower, but guess what?  It's the low HR training and I've lost some of what I built up before this whole hammy thing.  Hopefully it won't take long to come back.

Caramelized cabbage?  That sounds delicious, Jay.  I love to saute cabbage, carrots, and onions together with a hint of sugar.  The Hub doesn't particularly like it and the after-affects are . . . um . . . well, you know.   I got him to buy me some Brussel sprouts and beets yesterday, so I'll be doing some veggie roasting this weekend to munch on for a few days.

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

TomWhite and Marj - 

61 degrees when I went out this morning - woo hoo!  Of course, when there is a sudden surge in temps in the winter here, that generally means it is accompanied by wind and rain, and today was no exception.  Still, that is better than ice and snow!

6 windy and rainy miles for me this morning.

Back to the deep freeze tonight...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Damp Thursday indeed. My entire 8 miles was done in the pouring rain. It actually went well despite fact I am now frozen.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Damp Thursday indeed. My entire 8 miles was done in the pouring rain. It actually went well despite fact I am now frozen.

Sssshhhhh!! No so loud!  We don't want 2Kitty to know what you did.

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Sssshhhhh!! No so loud!  We don't want 2Kitty to know what you did.

Oops. I forgot about the no rain rule.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

mrrun

Running in the rain - HORRORS!!!!

Well I listened to my mind, not my body - and after 3 1/2 miles, the knee started barking loudly, so I had to walk the last 1/2 mile and am now on ice.  did I mention the weather was glorious - shorts and t-shirt in january!

C-R

Hey All. Road trip done late last night but still had things to do prior to a 7am call with Germany so only one mile but today I got a decent 4. Not in the rain though. I waited.

Carmelized cabbage. Sounds good. Cabbage always reminds me of my grandmother. Irish. So cabbage and potatoes by the bucket.

Good runs in the rain.

Asymmetry is an engineers worst nightmare. Yikes. Glad your fixing yours Leslie.

Flats had a good one with that story. Heh.

Well back at it. Weights tonight.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

evanflein

Leslie, I'm with you. I love cabbage, brussels sprouts, beets... yummm. All that stuff. DH likes beets but kind of draws the line at the sprouts. I'd love to know how to carmelize cabbage but don't do anchovies (that's why I don't like "real" Caesar dressing). Aftereffects be damned. Hey C-R, cabbage and potatoes, we had that in Ireland a few years ago. Colcannon, right? This looks good...

61°?? Holly, shame on you for posting that.  JK, I hope you enjoyed it. I thought we'd be warm enough today for an outdoor run this afternoon, and while it would've been possible, it wouldn't have been enjoyable with not only sliding temps after noon (it was around zero this morning, but -15° predicted by 3 pm when I'd go out), but the snow we're getting is too much. So... back on the TM tonight.

Flats, that was funny. That's what you get for going to work early, right? Also sorry for those of you too busy with work and other life details to get in a run. I know how that feels and it's no fun.

Jay, thanks for the recap and I hope that hamstring feels better soon. You sure have been dealing with that for awhile.

Bertha, love the running in the rain posts! Someone has to keep twocat jumping.

Marj!

I did get my run in last night, and thought I'd posted it but by the time I get done it's time to feed the cats and get on with making dinner and the night just gets away from me. Got in 9.2 miles last night with intervals like I try to do most Wednesdays in the winter. Figure as long as I'm on the TM I might as well try to make it a little more interesting. Ended up with this:

3 mile warm up, then 5 x .5 mile @ 7:48 with .25 mile recovery intervals @ 8:34, then in mile 8 I threw in 3 x .1 mile @ 7:30 before coasting it in at 8:34 to finish.

I'm trying to figure out how to progress on these intervals and repeats. Apparently Pfitz (who I don't follow, but I talk to WRFB and PDR, who do) says your repeats should be at about 5k pace, apparently regardless of length. (The longer the repeats, the longer your recovery intervals, but keep the repeats at 5k pace.) So my 5k pace on a good day is about 7:20, but let's say 7:30 for thsi. I've been doing my repeats this winter at 8:00 pace so obviously needed to step it up a bit. Good lord, just going from 7.5 mph (8:00 m/m) to 7.7 (7:48 m/m) just about killed me. I can't imagine doing mile repeats at that pace, but apparently in a 5k I do. Is it the treadmill that makes it seem so hard?

flats yesterday you easily won the funniest story of the day!

fatozzig I can scroll!

BerthaSlayer "No running in the rain!"©

Ran 8 miles outside today! Yes, for once no rain, no ice and temperatures above 20°. Quite a bit above in fact, mid-40's. There are a lot of deer running around. The story by rochrunner the other day about getting attacked by a deer got me wondering just how much danger I was in?!  Then they all ran away and I was safe! Whew, close call.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

fatozzig I can scroll!

The story by rochrunner the other day about getting attacked by a deer got me wondering just how much danger I was in?!  Then they all ran away and I was safe! Whew, close call.

Erika - It is my whole-hearted belief that that the treadmill is a soul-sucker and everything feels so much harder on one.

I went to the mall on my lunch hour today and discovered this Rule to Live By:  If you don't have a full length mirror and rarely ever see your entire body in the mirror at one time, for the love of all that's holy, DON'T try on running tights in front of one. No! Stop! Back away and stay with the tried and true - order 'em on line, try 'em on in the dark, and if the seams don't split apart when you bend over, you're good to go.

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Leslie - bathing suits are even worse.....nothing is more depressing....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."