Masters Running

Thursday Sept. 3 - Master Runs and Workouts (Read 404 times)

Good morning everyone!

Okay, I'm tired now.

Today was an MLR with Tempo Intervals.  13 miles total with 22 x 2 mins. @ HMP (8:01) with 1 min. jog recovery between each.  I really wanted this workout to be effective as a stamina workout, so I did a long 4.25 mile warm up before starting the repeats.  This way I'd be tired when I started them.  This ended up leaving a very short 1 mile cool down after.

I wanted to make sure I could finish off all 22 of them (22?  Eek.) so I ran this comfortably medium-hard.  I'm glad I didn't push them any more.  I was seriously bushed on those last 3 or 4.

8:05, 8:19, 8:15, 8:13, 8:08,

8:09, 8:01, 7:59, 8:02, 8:15,

8:03, 8:10, 8:06, 8:13, 8:20,

8:07, 8:18, 7:59, 8:10, 8:11,

8:12, and 8:03.

An average of 8:09.  A little slower than planned but I'll take it for this time of year.  76° and 86%.  If I gain even 30 seconds when our weather moderates I'll be fine.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Slo

Very nice run Bill ! I'm sure you'll gain more than 30 sec's when you get a break from the humidity.

No run yet for me. I've had a little inflammation sneak back into my hip so I hit the pool for a good swim this morning. I'm pushing my run off until after work. That little extra time seems to do the trick.

Morning, gang!

SLO - good decision - hope the afternoon run goes well.

Erika - sorry, I didn't see the message - in the daily??

dg - Asia is absolutely awesome -thanks for sharing.  Hope your knee is feeling better.

(((((twocat))))) - hang in there - you will run again.

((((denise and her DS))))

Couldn't have asked for a nicer morning for a run.  The sunrise was spectacular - wish I had been carrying a camera; although a photo wouldn't have done it justice.  Temp in the low 50's for my easy hill run - 9 miles @ 10:00 and 152 AHR. 

My nemesis, the doe deer, was in the yard when DH and I arrived home from work last night.......teaching her two adorable spotted fawns to eat my forsythia.  I was only temporarily swayed by the cuteness before I launched myself from the car to give chase - the deer weren't impressed, but DH had a good laugh and noted my improved sprinting speed ;-). 

Good runs all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Morning guys. And you thought Tinman was "taking it easy" on you, Bill. Nice job today!

Slo - hope that hip is just a minor twinge and the swim helped.

I ran my 7.5 mile route this morning, 9:31 pace. IRC here, 52° and no wind - bright blue skies. I don't work on Thursdays but my run goes past a middle school. One of the teachers must be assigned to parking lot duty, and whenever I run by there, he's standing in the entrance to the lot directing cars and playing a flute. I call him the "Pied Piper" trying to lure the kids into school!

College football starts and our fantasy football league has its draft tonight.  Life is good!

Enjoy your Thursday and the start of the last holiday weekend.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning!

Breger – that was a ROCKIN’ workout!  I don’t see how I’m going to keep up with you at Columbus – you are WAY faster than me at all shorter distances. 

Tempo day on the FIRST plan, which called for a 1 mile WU and 10 miles @ 8:35.  But I was ready to forego the plan before I even started out today.  I felt tired and stiff, and had some mild soreness in my left butt and right hamstring.  The soreness wasn’t there during yesterday’s run, but I think came from hoisting 9 40-lb bags of topsoil and water softener pellets and a carpet cleaning machine into and out of my car last night.  (The Lowe’s cashier said she’d send someone outside to help me, but I got tired of waiting.  When I was on the last bag, an employee did show up – a woman not much bigger than me.  I just looked at her incredulously.)

Anyway, I sort of played it by ear, pushing for as hard a workout as I could manage today.

2 mile WU

3 miles at 8:38, 8:35, 8:47

1.5 miles @ 9:31 up the hill home (making sure the kids were up)

then, on the TM:

(2 min @ 8:20/1 min @ 9:50)  x  10

1 mile @ 8:41

App. 2 mile CD @ 10:00

13 miles total.

Afterward I did my usual lower body workout, so tomorrow is a leg rest day.

I rescheduled the routine check-up I had for this afternoon in favor of taking the office calls at home this morning so I can clean the carpets.  yippee. 

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

I'm joining the 13-mile club today...but at a much more modest pace than Byll or Holly.  A mix of 9 slow/easy miles wrapped around 4 MP-ish miles.  I had intended to do more MP miles but I didn't feel like I had the energy today.

Be safe. Be kind.

wildchild

Carolyn

Wow, some nice 13 mile runs today for Bill, Holly, and Tramps.

Deez, sorry to hear your DS is back in the hospital. Hugs to you both, and wishes for a speedy recovery.

Hugs to Twocat too, hope you can run again soon. You've been more than patient.

TimBo, hope your road rash and shoulder are healing.

I ran the first race in a 4-race trail series last night. It was a 4-miler, and I ran it about a minute slower than last year, about 37:10 (not sure because I forgot to stop my watch at the finish, and the results aren't posted yet).  But it was 85° at 6 pm when the race started, so I think I did OK.  Last year my log shows it was 70°.  And I'm a year older, after all.   It's a nice race series - small group, about 60-70 runners, and on dirt trails along a creek in a nice park.  Several folks I met at last year's races are back again, including my insurance agent, who's a back-of-the packer like me.  He beat me by about 30 seconds.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Gee... I'm 0.3 mi short but can I join the 13 club too?

Nice runs!

Wonderful run today.  My favorite, hilly, countryside loop is now open again after nearly a year closing due to bridge replacements.  3/4 moon lit run starting at 4:30 am.

12.7 miles of hills in 1:46:11 (8:22 pace, AHR 153) Couple suck your breath away steep hills about 1/2 mile long. It was such a nice run I'm giddy!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

lamerunner

Good morning, Another nice one here, warmer than yesteday morning but still mostly clear. I got my sorry butt about of bed, left the child-waking to my DH and went for a bike ride shortly after 6 a.m.. About 25 miles, very pleasant until the last few miles back into the city with all the commuters.that part is terrifying, going over one of the bridges back in to town from the country to the west.

My foot feels pretty good in bike shoes. I have the shoes but never put the clipless pedals in, still have ancient cages. I don't think now is the time to try that. The bike shoes can be a little harder to get into the cages but they are stiff enough to protect my foot., at least I think so.

My sweet DS 10 wants to buy running shoes now so he can train for soccer. He is on a travel team and is gettng pretty good.  So I will take himafter his guitar lesson. I  just wish I could run with him.... I don't  think he is really going to be a runner but the fact  he wants to do some training is wonderful!

tetsujin209 given all the well documented scientific evidence about how various types of running shoes help runners I cannot see what other conclusion that doctor from the NYRR could have drawn.  Oh wait . . . I forgot there was that review article concluding that there are no such studies.  Silly me, I would have thought some guy pontificating for a major running organization and with the letters M.D. attached to his name would read the scientific literature so that he would be up to date on what is going on.   Geez.  What people will say can claim to "know" to land in the press.

Jlynne my California Golden Bears are only 50:1 to make the BCS!    Hey, they have not even made the Rose Bowl in my lifetime!  So, you take what you get!

FWIW, after my test run the leg feels fine today.  Well as fine as it gets about now I guess.  No harm done at least.  I may shoot for next Tuesday morning as another trial.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Denise, I hope the hospital can help your son.  I'll be thinking about him.

I finally got up the nerve to do my 11-mile run this morning.  Started it too late, so it got kind of warm towards the end.  It was slower than I wanted, and I had to walk too much, but at least I did it!  My HM is a month from tomorrow.

Time to take a shower, so I can rejoin human society!

King of PhotoShop

Tet, one of the links you posted yesterday appears to be broken.  I don't run barefoot, but I get the logic and was interested in reading the article.

A couple of people have asked me about the RR from HTC and I have stalled on writing one and couldn't figure out why.  Normally I can't wait to write them and brag about myself.  But you know what?  Overall I think the whole event was kind of boring, and I probably won't write anything at all. I got there on Thursday and didn't get home til Sunday night and there was an awful lot of "do-nothing" time which was not at all interesting.

I'm still recovering from it however, and today I just jogged 2.3 miles (9:16's) but my heart wasn't in it.  Spareribs

dg.

byll,  what a great run!   and well thought out too. 

Slo_hand, I hope your hip's ok.

Sue, thanks for reading it!  Isn't she wonderful?   I remember her passing me with 2 others, didn't know who it was, but do remember thinking she was a really strong runner.   Very nice run for you!  finally getting a turn at nice weather...  it seems like your HR is getting lower, is it?    aww, so cute, the babies.   Wink  

--it is, thanks!

Yikes, Holly.   be careful today, ok??   are you moving furniture too?  

(((( Denise ))))

Stevep,, thanks.  how are things with you lately?  you're a little quiet.

Perch, yippee!     hey.   what were the shorts you got that were so good at wicking?

running out of itme again... nice running, biking, racing, healing!

did run by the river today... almost no knee pain!    I almost can't believe that.  will still see the sports med doc because this has been going on for months now, but i can run.   My plan for the week is a mess & wasn't sure what to target, wanted 6 but have 8 tomorrow & I overslept...   so headed for 5, got 5.67.   only 7.33 short. Absolutly IRQ.  ahr 156, max 166, av. pace 9:58, max 8:54.  I wore my too big Frees & didn't fall. Smile.  Wasn't fast but faster than I was aiming for.. 10:28, 9:51, 9:51, 9:51, 9:50, ended at 9:37.

Slo

Slo_hand, I hope your hip's ok.

Thanks DG.....It is, as long as I don't go getting stoopid or anything.

It's an old injury from an auto accident in 2000. I disclocated it....bad. Tore the crap out of everything. I walked with a cane for about 4 months and had a hemotoma inside the socket that never let the hip sit quite right for a long time.

Occasionally it gets aggitated and needs a little ice and R & R.

Spareribs, a lot of do nothing time in a relay like HTC?  Man something went horribly wrong!  Typically I am busy most of the trip.  Maybe you need a more disorganized team like the one I have run the RTB relay in New Hampshire with.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/