Masters Running

Saturday, November 14 Runs, rests, races, and other workouts (Read 404 times)

Tramps

Holly—sad about your friends.

dg—great story yesterday.  Sometimes you just have to get out there and see what happens.

Larry—good to see you posting regularly.

Nono—thank goodness your marathon wasn’t this weekend in that weather!

Tammy—poetic legal arguments?  Now there’s an innovation!

Stumpy—you know, now that I think about it, we heard precious little about Henry and Marj’s trip to Spain. (Or did I miss it?)  We should have insisted on details! (Congrats Marj!)

deez—pub crawl with designated driver!  I can’t wait to hear the stories after that little celebration.

Rains are gone here in Virginia leaving nice weather for Richmond runners.  My understanding is that there’s a little flooding in Richmond that will likely affect some of the parking lots but nothing that will affect the course.  (Hope those of you further up the east coast—like Nono—don’t get socked too badly from the remnants of the storm.)

It was my pleasure to host Perchcreek last night (spaghetti but NO chicken livers!) who just left to get an early start this morning.  Had a chance to sit and talk—mostly about running—for quite a while last night.  In addition to be being a nice guy, Steve’s a very smart runner who thinks about this stuff quite a bit.  I learned a lot and thoroughly enjoyed his visit. 

I’m heading down to Richmond in just a bit and hope to catch up to RCG/buehrle during her half, too.  It’ll be fun to be a spectator for a change.

Have a great weekend.

Be safe. Be kind.

Would someone mind posting, yet again, instructions for inserting photos into posts?  I just found a pic of one of my weekend running routes during yesterday's high tide that I'd like to share with y'all.

Thanks!

flomotioncoaching.com

Renee the dog

Nono—thank goodness your marathon wasn’t this weekend in that weather!

Really -- I don't know if the ferries were even running, so it might have been a tough decision.

SUN JUST BROKE OUT!!!!!!!!!! YAHOOO!  Right while I'm typing. Everyone is jumping up and down in the house.  (We really don't do well without our natural dose of Vitamin D).

Eliz, I usually post my pics on photobucket, then use the picture symbol at the top of the toolbar to insert the reference URL to the photo(s).   This is not the only way to do it, and I can't remember if I need to add img tags anymore or not to do it...

FINALLY, GOOD LUCK RACERS!!!!!!!! Can't wait for some RRs.

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

This morning the weather was perfect.  59° and low humidity.  That combination had me cookin' this morning!

12 miles total with a light fartlek workout.  I ran about 7 miles before I started the fartlek parts and though i was trying to run easy, these came in at MP!

10 x 1 minute at 10K pace (7:40ish) with 1 minute jog recovery

7:22, 7:23, 7:12, 7:15, 7:17, 7:41 (uphill), 7:13, 7:22, 7:11 and 7:14

followed by 5 x 30 seconds at 5K pace (7:15ish) with 30 seconds jog recovery

7:18, 7:15, 6:55, 7:03 and 7:05

I tried to run the fartlek parts as strongly as I could while being mindful of my right leg.  Didn't want that to flair up or worse.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Managed to sneak in 2.5 miles before heading to my nanny duties for the day.  Light rain and stomach distress accompanied me.  Yuck!  Off to NJ 'til mid-day tomorrow when I'm back to Philly for a gig tomorrow evening.

Will try to post that photo tomorrow evening.

Happy weekend, all!

Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Nice runs so far (fast, Bill!)

Looking forward to tracking the Richmond runners.

Recovery for me, prior to brew day:

3.1 miles, 28:10, 8:57/mi, AHR 136 (69% MHR)

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

lamerunner

We have the rain now... but it is not that bad. DD is in Connecticut for the New England XC Championships. I did not go down though I sort of wish I had. She has had a pretty good season. Went from the cusp of JV/Varsity to a sold part of the varisty team for the last few championship races. It is a strong team; they won NH Class L and the Meet of Champions. I hope the worst of the rain is done down there before the race.  She ran the JV state meet  too so this is the 4th weekend in a row of big races.

I dragged myself out and ran a kind of sluggish 8. Felt tired despite a rest day yesterday. Foot is hanging in there; still not perfect; there is some achiness,  but ok. I will probably cross train tomorrow; I am headed to Washington DC for a couple of days at a conference and want to be able to run there. 

Happy running!

dg.

good luck to all the racers!      we can track them at Richmond?  oh sigh... I have to leave. 

Nono, Smile

thanks Tramps, hope you're having fun spectating.  A conversation between you & Perch...  that's something I'd like to hear. 

Nice run Bqger!

Have fun Eliz.

Lou smart to conserve brewing strength.

a walk & small run & core stuff this morning, is about it.   I really should do about an hour of core, not even close yet.   I remain  hopeful.    oh, hope Mary's glass show is going well!  

Due to the lousy weather here DW bagged running with the jogger's club.  So no muffins either.  Very sad, but I will be danged if I am going to have about two dozen muffins sitting in the kitchen waiting for me to eat them!  On the up side, that did mean the banana chip muffins turned into two banana's for my breakfast.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

dg, it's neat the way yesterday's bad run turned into a good one.  marj, congrats on a nice 5K with AG win.  deez, it sounds like you've got quite the doings planned for your husbands 50th.  tramps, it's neat you and perch got in a nice visit.  lame, good luck to your daughter at the New England XC championships.

Nice long runs for bike and breger (with speedwork).

This morning, it was about 45° and warming with a light wind.  I got in 8 miles in about 1:16:30 for a 9:34 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Eliz, so this is where you are hiding....

I havent run yet today. Can I still post? I am considering running. Is that good enough? Its pouring out there.

Laurie

Shamrock marathon March 2016. Burlington full or relay if I can find a partner May 2016. Wine and Dine half Nov. And a tri or two thrown in just for the hell of it.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good afternoon!

Laurie – of course you can still post!

7.05 easy-brisk miles for me this morning (ave 9:33).

Busy day for me today, with a study session for my tax class from 9-noon, followed by some quick errands and stringing of outdoor Christmas lights.  Later DH and I are going out for dinner and a play (The Pajama Game).

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

First run of the season in yaktrax today!  4 miles with Tazzie and Ladybug, untimed, making fresh tracks in the new snow.

I had to drive DD to town this morning for all-county honor band rehearsal, so I could have run down there, but it was in the 30's and raining, so I opted for 20's and snowing.  I don't mind running in the rain when it's warm, but cold rain is hard to dress for.  Snow is easy.

Now I have to head back to town to hear the band performance and pick up DD. Hope to read some RRs soon!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

YAK! Attax! Wildchild .

64 and sunny here today but I am sure that is on the horizon for us in the near future.

I was supposed to cross train today but  decided to go deer hunting tomorrow morning so I did my longish run today and will find time in the middle of the day tomorrow for a bike ride. My friend I am hunting with doesn't run but loves to ride so he is going to show  me some biking skills tomorrow I am sure. The last time I went with him he showed me some hills that just killed my quads and almost me.

Anyway 5 miles easy today and some hunting and bike cross training tomorrow.

Good luck to all the racers.

Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Tramps

Had a blast spectating (is that a word?) in Richmond today. 

--Missed RCG on the course but caught up with her afterward; she had me laughing non-stop for over an hour as we watched runners finish the marathon. 

--I got to meet Ralph, too, along with some of Ralph and RCG's friends.

--I got to cheer for Perch at the start and finish.

--I managed to squeeze in a run just under 12 miles, some of which was through my old neighborhood, which was fun.

Fun day. 

I'll let the real runners fill in the juicy details in their RRs.

Be safe. Be kind.