Masters Running

Friday (I Was Here Before coastwalker) Daily 1/15 (Read 34 times)

I am at the airport gate. No running obviously. But, it is so rare that I am here at RA before coastwalker I could not help myself. Heh, heh, heh. 

Mariposai, good job with the newbies!

enkephalin well, think of the 20 and 30 somethings comment about technically clued out elders, cosmic revenge will befall them in 10 to 20 years!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello?  What is all this racket in here?  Oh...it's just Twocat...I'll wait for Jay...

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Twocat, you win!!

Hi Mike. Go back to sleep...

Last night's meeting was, with any luck at all, my last meeting with our town's budget committee. The budget prep cycle is over for this year, and my term as chair of the conservation commission ends at our March meeting. There are some very good people on the budget committee, but the most vocal among them are argumentative, insensitive, and crude. After last night's meeting our fire chief told me it was like getting a lobotomy while you are still awake. This year, they gave me a lot of grief over the name of a fund. Why is it a concern of theirs? Beats me. It makes no sense to me, or to anyone else except, apparently, a few people on the bud comm. OK - rant off.

7.75 racewalking miles this morning in 20F temps under overcast skies. I decided to sprinkle in a few quicker miles, so my legs are a little fatigued, but in a good way.

After 4 evening meetings this week, DW and I are going out to dinner tonight (it is still DW's 'birthday season') at a favorite French restaurant, and we are sooooo looking forward to it!

Have a greta Friday! I wish fleet feet and a tail wind to this weekend's racers:

01/17 pfriese - Houston Marathon, Houston TX

01/17 stealth.rnr - St Pete Beach Classic HM

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

Dang-it. Slept in again so no morning run. Now I have to sit through an all day pointless-project-planning meeting without having burned off some energy. That will make me more sarcastic so I will have to really watch that. Some people put a lot of work into these meetings and don't appreciate that.  I must not repeatedly say, "Everything we plan now will change in a month so we are just wasting our time."  (No matter how true that is.)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

At least there's not a lot of traffic when you go to the airport at that hour.   Happy trails.

Jay--happy belated BD to DW.  Enjoy the dinner.  And glad your meetings are over for the week.

DAve--got to have a schedule so you'll know what to change.  My condolences.

Back on the road again this morning after a few travel induced non-runs.  5 miles in 25°.  Nothing fast, but it felt nice.  except for the occasional dusting of snow on the sidewalks that had melted and refrozen around the edges.  A few unanticipated HR increases, but no loss of elevation.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

43F

4 miles

9:02 average pace

Steve, Jane, Tricia, Marty, Ralph, and I started out this morning. Steve and Jane went straight and the rest of turned right. We all ended up at James Blair around the same time but, Ralph and I didn't cut through the parking lot. Plus we added the top of Skipwith. And then we went in for some core work and stretching. We re-upped our rec. center membership yesterday. I think we save a ton on our water bill because we shower there four times a week.

Twocat cracks me up because, oddly enough, I understand that desire to "get credit" for getting up so early, even if it is to catch a flight. Starting the daily earned him cred. Now I am curious as to his destination. (You sometimes travel to C-ville, right?)

Jay you must have the patience of Job to continue with those town meeting. Just a few more jewels in your crown! Have a lovely dinner with birthday DW. She does her birthday all the way to the end of the month. It's a rule. (I learned that from predawnrunner)

Dave you must've needed the sleep.

Stumpy, no loss of elevation!  ha!  Excellent.

Deez, one closet down... a whole house to go!  Congratulations on your impending grandbaby girl. Lovely.

Okay. I am thinking about taking this class. Return to Nursing But I am afraid. But I don't know why.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

King of PhotoShop

Got home yesterday afternoon, and did not run while in Seattle.  Rained like crazy there, but that wasn't the reason. I just didn't feel like it.  Had a good time though, and did a good job for the client.  It's so much easier to get through the day when you love your work, right Dave?

Going to my bridge club this afternoon to sign up for their mentor-mentee program, or what runners would call "giving back to the sport." I would love to help someone just learning to play, not because I'm such a great player but because I am confident I can teach and coach well.  I was fortunate to learn from some great players and teachers myself when I was young.

Gorgeous weather here.  The Saint and I ran 3.3 at the Park this morning. Have a great weekend all.  Spareribs

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Going to my bridge club this afternoon to sign up for their mentor-mentee program, or what runners would call "giving back to the sport." I would love to help someone just learning to play, not because I'm such a great player but because I am confident I can teach and coach well.  I was fortunate to learn from some great players and teachers myself when I was young.

Want to come over tomorrow and coach us?  We would drive you batty with our "party bridge" mentality.  We play bridge as a reason to drink beer and sit around the kitchen table with the neighbors.

Seriously, though, thank you for perpetuating the game. I wish all middle schoolers would learn the game and continue to play throughout their lives. It is good for the mind.

"Anytime you see the word "inflation" in the news, replace it with "record-breaking corporate profits" and you'll get what's happening."

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!

Just back from sheltering a safe place due to a tornado warning.  Honest.  Didn't happen, but it's raining and very dark out there.

So I followed twocat's advice for once and didn't run this morning.

Like Dave, I am now feeling very antsy.  Did have a nice 6 miler to the bridge and back last night.  I know rest days are supposed to be good.  Believe me, I keep telling myself.  Just focus on tomorrow morning.

Bridge on my list of things to do, maybe when I retire.  I'd like to throw myself into it; you know, immersion, so I could get the basics asap.

Yes, again, best wishes to you Jay and your DW.

If you have a minute, check my website below; there's a short little running story in it as the last post some of you might enjoy.  There's a touch of Florida in it.

Happy weekending, all,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

TammyinGP

We have just been in an absolute deluge of rain for days now. some of it turned to snow overnight at my house, but once I got past my driveway, it was all gone.

Went out to my car yesterday to find a "yellow" piece of paper on the windshield. First thought was "crap, a parking ticket" as I had been parked over the 3 hrs anyways. But it was a note from the store owner that my car was parked in front of stating someone hit the front of my car and to come in the store for info.  So, some older lady backed her jeep into my front bumper, made a loud "boom!", which caused the store owner to look up and he witnessed the lady looking around - never even got out of her car to see the damage she caused - and then she took off quickly. Store owner got license plate and make of vehicle. My first thought was "well, this lady probably doesn't even have insurance and that's why she took off". I was going to run her plate and contact her myself to confront her on the property damage, but decided to just file a police report. Officer came out, looked at my car damage and ran her plate info. Says to me "well, I believe this is the wife of a city councilman, so I'll just go pay her a visit". Before he told me who this person was, he asked what I wanted done about this incident - file criminal charges or just exchange of insurance information. I told him I only want insurance info. I just want my car fixed w/o having to pay anything out of pocket.  So he tells me that based on who she is, he's just doing to tell her he COULD give her citation but he'll just give her a warning and get her ins info.

he calls me about a 1/2 hr later, tells me he went to her home and she tried to play dumb like she had no idea she hit me. He decided to give her a citation since she wasn't being honest with him. And when she still wouldn't 'fess up, he said  "listen. I have witnesses who saw what happened and I can cuff you, arrest you and bring you to jail right now" THEN, she admits she knew she hit me and made a bad choice in leaving the scene. Sadly, this doesn't even shock me in the least. Whether you are a local politician, spouse, or just a regular thug committing crimes, so many people in today's society don't take responsibility for their actions/mistakes. This could have been so easy if she would have just left a note on my car with her contact info, but she thought she was getting away with something.

Needless to say, I'm very thankful that the store owners got involved and helped me out. They are getting gift cards today as a thanks.

Tammy

Tammy - BIG thumbs up to the store owners and the police officer.  About a week ago, someone hit my car hard enough to leave a sizable amount of their rubber bumper where they hit, as well as scrape off paint.  There is no way they didn't know they hit me.  I was wondering when the "virginity" of my new car would pass - about 3 months is all it took.

Happy Travels, 2Kitty.

Rosie and Jay - I'll have to try the ole "it's my birthday until the end of the month thing" next month with The Hub.  Somehow, I don't think he's going to fall for it.  I should get extra credit, though, since I'll be turning 50.  Say what?!???

Poor Dave.  Hang in there.

About 30 min of core/ST for me this a.m. once I finally dragged myself out of bed, followed by about 10 min of the foundation training.  Still in the infancy stage with the FT and am finding if I don't stay on top of it and do it consistently, it's very easy to over do it.

We've been getting quite a lot of rain here, too (same system as Tammy), and it's supposed to keep coming.  Tomorrow's 18 will be soggy.

Have a great weekend ~~

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Henrun

Sounds like rain just about everywhere. We're getting it overnight but it's supposed to clear up just in time for the big game-football that is.

Tammy, quite a story. Glad it turned out well. I could get into a political rant, but I won't.

This morning was IRC-partly cloudy and high 30's. Ran 8 slow miles on Heartbreak Hill while Marj did a flat long run. I hadn't done hills for awhile so my legs feel it now. Off to a blues concert tonight.

TammyinGP

I could get into a political rant, but I won't.

you and me both Henry. . .actually I did get into a political rant last night - but with my husband and since we are on the same page with our political rants, it was like preaching to the choir.

Tammy

Marathon Maniac #957

I could get into a political rant, but I won't.

Yup, me too.  My DH works for the county, and I hear all sorts of scandalous stories about the folks in power.  Makes me pretty angry.

DS watched Cowspiracy on Netflix, which apparently details how the cattle industry is responsible for a huge amount of the world's pollution problems.  What he relayed to me was pretty alarming, the razing of the Amazon rain forest for cattle farms, the pollution caused by the water runoff from the manure in the fields, etc.  Apparently cow farts contain a deadly gas that is responsible for 18% of the greenhouse gases, more than the combined exhaust from all cars, trucks, boats, planes.  Why is this not more publicized? http://www.cowspiracy.com/facts/

As a result of watching this show, DS has decided to become vegetarian (not vegan) and I have been experimenting with recipes for him.  Tonight we had tofu stir-fry and rice.  Surprisingly good!  DH of course cooked himself a couple of hot dogs.

This morning's weather was the best option of the weekend, so I took advantage of the fact that I work from home on Fridays to do my LR.

17 miles in 39 somewhat windy degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

I've never played bridge, or golf, for that matter.  None of my family or friends ever played, so I never learned.  Not sure if I'm missing anything?

Holly, nice to get your LR in today!

Tammy, what an experience with your car!  Hope that lady learned a lesson, although I doubt it...

We're mostly vegetarian - although we eat fish sometimes.  Hope that works out for your family, Holly - it can be tough when people have different diets in one family.

This afternoon I went over to my local park, Golden Gate Canyon State Park, to see what kind of shape the trails are in.  I was surprised that they're really pretty good!  I ran 10.5 miles, and the first and last miles had some bare dirt and some icy places, but the rest was hardpacked snow, and very runnable in screw shoes.  There was one section, about 1/2 mile, where I post-holed quite a bit, but the rest was great!  Nice day, high 20's and mostly sunny.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.