Masters Running

Wed Apr 15 Runs and Workouts (tax day!) (Read 572 times)

Do you have your taxes in? We owed money so waited until pretty much the last minute. Haven't checked but I'm sure all that money has been sucked out of our account by now. Last night we went to a reception for a brewpub we're investing in, in VA -- that was fun! This was the first time I had any of the beers by the CEO/brewmaster -- needless to say they were excellent. They're hoping to open in November. Really nice facility, although it's all concrete floors and ceilings now. If any of the pictures I took come out well I'll post them, but it might be a couple of days before I find time. Today's plan was 7 with 2 miles @ MP 7.1 miles, 57:33, 8:08/mi, AHR 148 (76% MHR) Miles 2&3 were 7:57(149), 7:53(14Cool which might be an ok target. We'll have to see how long I can hold on to that. Note, of course, the garmin pace shows a little faster than actual pace -- the error is about 1% (5 secs/mi for me). 5 days 'til Boston. Long range forecast: 38-51°, showers (40% chance), winds E 12 mph

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

My taxes are in for a week or two now. Somehow we managed a refund this year, which we probably won't receive for 6 weeks or so. Tempo day today. The plan likes these shortish tempo runs. It wanted me to run 1 mile warmup followed by 5 miles at Tempo (8:01 target). But (1) that's not enough warmup for me and (2) I prefer a midweek MLR with the Tempo stuff within it. So I decided on 10.1 miles. Overall 8:25 pace. Miles 2, 3, and 4 were at MP, miles 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 were at Tempo (8:07 down to 7:57 - right on target). Concentrated on my mental talking to myself too. Good workout. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Renee the dog

Do you have your taxes in?
        No. That's today's project after bathing the kids. I just downloaded the software yesterday. My Dad was a tax accountant. I never got my appointment with him until April 15, when he was done with everyone else's taxes. So for the last 3 years that I've done ours, it's still been "my day." Big grin Woke up at 5:30 hearing the upstairs porch furniture blow around (the weather is such that the chairs are dancing back and forth as the wind is from the East and West presently). Turned off the alarm and went back to sleep. Good idea! Today I have hill drill anyway, and the path to the bridge out of town that's tall enough to do them is -- yep -- an East/West bridge. I doubt I'd have had enough luck to have the wind "with" as I was going in each direction. Ahhh, coffee's ready. Anyone need some?

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning... Had my taxes done in the middle of Feburary, as had a refund so I wanted my money, not the Government to have it and earn interest off of it. Nice runs guys. Indeed Cool Lou on those MP miles. Bill, Ribs had me on a mid-week long run too, and you did very well...MP and tempo together seems reasonable and looks like you "nailed them" as you talked to yourself Smile Nono, have fun doing taxes today...and yes, I will take some coffee Smile 7 easy miles last night for me in a pouring rain. Good run and took it easy setting myself up for my first "real' track work this season tonight...in the middle of a mid week long run. Think it will be 6 1/2 mile repeats at 6:45 pace..and look forward to it greatly...I love track work.. I don't have a 5K race to determine speed paces right now, so I will just see how 6:45 pace works out...I can slow them down if needed (Ribs says yeah right) And I have no ill affects from my 20 miler last Sat either Cool Jody (the gal that says running causes sags and wrinkles in the face) will pick her car up today. Interesting to see how that works out, if she will let me take her to Indy for new running shoes and dinner, on me of course. Need to get some work done as I am waaaay behind, but whats new. Have a great day everyone...good day to be alive Smile TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Thanks Nono! I definitely need coffee---couldn't sleep, so I got up and went running early and now I need a nap. Can't nap though.....I'll get my mug and fill up. We sleep with the windows open and skunk perfume woke me up at about 2 am. I tossed and turned and finally gave up and hit the roads at 5:20----of course the critters were up and about too, but I didn't care. 9 miles at 8:30 pace, no iPOD, stars giving way to sunrise and lots of birds (owls, woodpeckers, barn swallows, terns, etc) doing their thing. Taxes filed last week. Coffee smells great, out of my way!-----good day all Oh....for the Boston Bound---read this---http://www.boston.com/sports/marathon/articles/2009/04/15/26_more_miles_for_boston_billy/?page=full

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Lou.. That sounds fun! Well, I ran 4 miles at 9:30 pace and my leg hurts. I'd say 90% chance I'll go to the Expo and take a medical deferral to 2010. That way I could hit the parties, support our runners and see Ryan Hall run!

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

I'd say 90% chance I'll go to the Expo and take a medical deferral to 2010. That way I could hit the parties, support our runners and see Ryan Hall run!
                So sorry Perch----that's what I am doing. If you are at the Expo on Saturday come say hello. I'll see you out there running in 2010 too. Good luck with whatever you decide. You are awesome.
                  Aw gee, Perch, that stinks. Glad we'll see you there, though.

Well, I ran 4 miles at 9:30 pace and my leg hurts.
                    Aww, Perch. I feel so bad - you've trained hard for this race and it sucks that you're hurting. Bill - any guitar news this morning? Tim - good luck with "Miss Fender Bender" today! Keep us posted... Nono - would you put a little cream in my cup? Oh - I like it extra hot too. Good luck with that wind today (and getting those taxes done) It's weird - some days there are no posts here until late, but today everyone is up and about. Must be the springlike weather. 5 miles on the eliptical for me today with some upper body weights. The Y is still packed at 5:00 AM, even with the weather getting warmer. There must have been 20-25 people waiting to get in when they opened the doors at 5:00. WRFB - rain chances have increased 10% since yesterday? I'm still hoping for good weather for everyone next Monday. How do you prepare mentally for this type of forecast?
                      Yeh, I'd like a cup of coffee....thanks! Ryan Hall....I love to watch him run...effortless. I've never seen him in person...would be a treat. Will run later this afternoon. Just had to stick my nose in this morning. "Let me tell you how it will be There's one for you, nineteen for me"
                      Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                      Teresadfp

One day at a time

We owed a ton of money, so the check is in the mailbox right now. It's always hard to estimate how much we owe since we have our own firm. I finally stopped whining about not running enough with my friends, and have already run 3 miles this morning. My regular running partner will be here in a minute, and I'll do another 3 miles with her. Time to get myself going! The weather is PERFECT. 30 degrees, sunny, and no wind. Have a great day!

Hill Runner

Good morning gang, My taxes were done about a month ago...I like to get it out of the way so I don't have to think about it. Steve, I'm so sorry to hear the news about your leg. I am looking forward to finally meeting you after all these years as an imaginary buddy. Stay positive, who knows your leg might feel better by Monday. 8.52 miles of hills @ 8:51 pace. I tried a new gel out this morning..,http://cranksports.com/products/egel/competition.asp They are more potent than GU and have electrolytes...I think I will use them in Boston on Monday. Ryan Hall Video: http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/microsite/video/0,8034,s6-239-420-20,00.html?bcpid=1439819617&bclid=1463300967&bctid=19531259001

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                          Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                          Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Great video Peter! Thanks for the link
                              JLynne asked: "Bill - any guitar news this morning?"
                              I don't have it yet, but here's a peek at it! Can anyone tell me what it is? Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

I tried a new gel out this morning..,http://cranksports.com/products/egel/competition.asp They are more potent than GU and have electrolytes...I think I will use them in Boston on Monday.
                                I use this. A little softer than GU and 50% more calories. I've found I still need to use e-caps to supplement, else I get cramps. Your mileage may vary.
                                I don't have it yet, but here's a peek at it! Can anyone tell me what it is?
                                Dunno, but it sure is pretty.