Masters Running

Finally Fridaily 6-27-28 (Read 40 times)

Starting us off quickly since I have to get to work for an early meeting.

2.2 miles since I'm going to go "longer" tomorrow and legs have felt tired.  Muggy again outside.

Good discussion yesterday.  Heal up, everyone and have a greta weekend.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Joe618

Happy "Boeing Day" everyone...it's 7/27  [groan]

Mike, I really like my chiropractor...he's helped me a ton in the last couple of years to even up my stride.   He's a marathoner too, so that helps.

Hope Anne enjoyed the Cubs game yesterday...what a dramatic ending.

Near perfect running weather early this morning in Indiana...upper 50s, no wind, dry air, clear, starry skies leading to sun rise.   More of that tomorrow for the 12 miler...grateful.

Rock on

Joe

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

Dave59

I woke up around 4:00 and couldn't back to sleep. After a while of trying, I gave up and ran 8 miles.

It was warm and humid. The run was mighty slow. But I made it so I am happy.

Running seems very hard. I think about quitting, but after 3 days off I miss it, so I am back out there again.  A while back, I signed up for the Marshall Half Marathon which is on the first Sunday of November.  I will work towards that and afterwards decide if I want to keep doing this running thing.

I would have really liked more sleep because my granddaughter Annabelle is flying back from Hawaii today and I have to drive up and get her near the Detroit airport.  5 hours up and 5 hours back.  I am going to leave earlier than I need to so I can have a longer break in-between legs of the trip.  Next Friday we return the kid to her parents in Florida which is a 12 hour drive.

Tramps

Dave--I've been feeling similarly about running (see below). My knee doesn't allow for any speedwork or distance so I'm just getting slower and slower. Everything feels difficult now, because of this loss of fitness I assume.  But what would you do for exercise if you didn't run? That's my dilemma. Cycling just isn't the same.

Today was just miserable. H&H and the insect population seems to have exploded, presumably as a result of all this moisture. Yuck. Walk breaks in my little 5-miler.

Be safe. Be kind.

SPUNKY57

Spunky57

Hi friends! I didn't get to run after work yesterday. I prepared and took a meal to a family who just brought home a preemie baby. They have 5 children! Then Hubby came home and wanted to go to the County Fair for awhile. I did get up this morning and run 4. It was 60 degrees and very pleasant outing. Tomorrow is supposed to be stormy. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

RUNKSA - Good luck with the longer run tomorrow!

JOE - Ha! Ha! Good luck with the 12 miler! It's always a plus when your doc is a runner too!

DAVE - That's a long drive on little sleep. Enjoy your time with your granddaughter! Good job getting 8 miles!

TRAMPS - Good job getting 5 miles. Mosquitos are what keeps me running. They latch onto me when I walk. Smile

Bless you all! Spunky!

coastwalker

Mornin' KSA, Joe, Dave, Tramps, Spunky, and those to follow.

Good runs this morning, especially by those still in H&H and insects.

'Boeing Day.' Funny... Enjoy the IRC, Joe.

Good question, Tramps to Dave: what would you do for exercise/staying in shape, if not running? After all these years, I couldn't just stop unless I medically/physically had no other option.

Thursday’s workouts:
              Deeze - 6.1 slow saturated miles.
              RunnerKSA - 3.3 miles on tire legs.
              Stumpy - Outta bed sticky miles.
              Pfriese - 9 miles with 6 at marathon pace in H&H.
              Tet - midnight splash ’n swim (I think) + full moon garden watering.
              Holly (4.3 miles + weights.
              Fatozzig - 2.28 walk/run morning miles.
              Tomwhite - 60 min HH 3-4s.
              Sulry BIll  - 10.2 windy, foggy miles at 8:15 pace.
              Mike - 7.1 miles.
              Evanflein - 5.3 miles in low 70s with legs feeling better.
              Twocat - gym work + 8 flights of stairs.

I went 5.5 miles in more dense fog this morning, getting onto all but 2 of the streets in this small town, and I hit some of them twice. The east-west streets are relatively flat, and the north-south street all have hills, most of them steep. There are more north-south streets than east-west. So, yep, my legs are pretty tired right now. We're heading to part of Acadia Nat. Park today, so there will be more walking in my near future.

As KSA said, have a greta weekend.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

TammyinGP

good morning.

our office is closing at 11 today for our company rafting trip. i'm not going though. it's a raft trip over an hour away and I don't want to be that far away from my home. We are still under an Evac Level 1 threat. although I guess there was a lot of fire activity last night and some people closer to the fire were evacuated out at 10:30 pm.  I'm anxiously awaiting the morning briefing to hear what has happened with the fire throughout the night. So far we've been hearing that they are maintaining the fire within the fireline boundaries, but then you see pics like this taken from town and it's difficult to believe that. This is a shot that is pointing in the direction of where I live. 

Image may contain: sky, twilight, cloud and outdoor

Tammy

Cripes, Tammy.  Redding is currently in the grip of a horrible fire, as well, that is fast becoming reminiscent of what happened in Santa Rosa last year.   Firefighters and residents of Southern Oregon and Northeastern California need all the prayers they can get.

Day off for me.  Let things settled down.

Dave - Running is hard for me, too.  A friend once asked me what I'd do for exercise if I couldn't run.  I'd like to say bike, but I don't have a death wish . . . although maybe if I did it more I'd get better at it . . .

Have a great weekend, friends ~~

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

pfriese

That's VERY SCARY Tammy. 

It was a bit cooler but still very humid for an easy pace 6 mile run around the neighborhood. The weather people are predicting even cooler temperatures for early next week. That'll be nice. Smile

Paul

TammyinGP

and that's ravaging very close through parts where we ran the WRR - up near that Hellgate Canyon area on the other side of the river.  The river is not very wide through there and it wouldn't take much for it to jump the river.  I know that's a major priority right now - to keep it from jumping. The fire is within 1/2 mile of a friends' parents house right now. Sad 

That fire in Redding is very scary also. I have a friend that lives on the West side of Redding. they packed their bags last night but so far haven't been evacuated. they have several farm animals as well but I think this has happened so fast that there may not be an evacuation site established for animals.  Since we had time to prepare for our fire, we also had the time to prepare evacuation location for animals. Shelter Friends (the non profit animal group I'm with) is oversight along with other animal rescue groups, that has turned our fairgrounds into an evac area. we have about 5 dogs right now, several cats, goats, chickens, with ample room to take in more. We are staffing it with volunteers around the clock, 24/7. There are also quite a few RV's parked at the fairgrounds with people that have evacuated.

Tammy

anneb

That fire looks scary! Not to underscore the danger of it all.

I’ve been off work since Tuesday so enjoying not being on a schedule. We’ve got some floor work going on today but it’s confined to the front/foyer so minor. Went for a nice 7 miler up on the north end of the trail system I usually run on, nice to run somewhere different. I’ve already run 29 miles this week so it looks like maybe I’ll run 40 this week?! I used to run that much every week, for years, but I haven’t in ages. I’ve been meaning to post my hamstring/butt issue over on that thread but I’ve not had time (although, let’s be real, I’m sure it will still be there next week or when I get to it 😳)

Yesterday the Cubs game we went to was a walk-off home run win in the 9th. Super game! Great weather, and today even cooler (high of 77, less humid). Happy weekend to all.

Anne

Henrun

Tammy, that does look very close. I read that Yosemite has been evacuated. We have some good friends who live in Mariposa just outside the park. Hope it can all be contained soon.

We ran/walked 3 miles on the Washington mall early this morning in H&H. Lots of runners out and many snapping pix. See posting on FB. Home tomorrow.

Henrun; Yosemite was evacuated because of air quality, they don't think the fire will reach the main tourist areas. The fire that is the most astounding is the Carr Fire, which is entering Redding! I have friends that were going to drive to Oregon this weekend, and they have decided to drive up the coast, because I-5 might be closed due to the fire.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

thanks jay - love being able to run three blocks down to a little lakeside park and splash around in the silvery moon.  Don't want to go out over my head or very far out on my own, though, so spent about a half hour moving baseball-size rocks about two feet down off the supposedly swimming beach. However, though there's no noticeable smoke in the Seattle air, even at the apex, the moon's more yellow than white.  Even though not much, if any wind, a tiny brush fire along I-5 yesterday was reportedly so hot, it just all-of-a-sudden burst up in flame across six lanes anyway.

ps - even though I'm in Seattle,

I've never heard of "Boeing Day"

but am sending it to a Boeing engineer friend to see if he has.

Unless I can figure out some reason such as a sponsored fun run, marathon or something like jogging over to my IM mentor's house, I don't like running for running's or just for fitness sake, either.  Therefore, except when it got up to near 50% in the last throws of my IM days in 2005, the vast majority of my running since 1977, sometimes all, has been in races that I've paid for to have enough of the necessary incentive to do it all the way without stopping and quitting.  The few times I've tried to mimic a marathon or other long-distance run on my own, I quickly get too bored and distracted by thinking of so many other things I should be doing or thinking of so many things I know someone else <<<(DW/DW)>>> is thinking I should be doing.

Can hardly wait to wake up again tonight around 2or3am and head for the moon and the water. yippee.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

TammyinGP that is an amazing (in a bad way) picture.

Wow, it looks like I can make the morning round up by reporting on my stair climbing! Hey, you take what you can get. I walk up five flights to get to my office from the garage. Today that was it. So five flights of stairs. Tomorrow they MRI my back. Hopefully they find I just pulled a back muscle

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/