Masters Running

40's + on the Run w/e 5/15 (Read 443 times)

jfa

The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work. Mark Twain Hi Folks- hope Leslie made out well with her race. Nice cool 13.3 long run yesterday following a trail run on Saturday with my four legged friend. Spent three hours behind the push mower as well , and that is one spring ritual that I could certainly do without ! Tongue

Hello Everyone - Was unable to post yesterday as my brother's Internet service is security locked, and he was at work until around 7:00 p.m., then we went to dinner, then we hit the hay. Long story short (I'll do a report soon), I did really well on a technical and tough course (for which PTCR is well known). When I crossed the line, the official timer said4:15:04, but the final report says 4:16:38, so I don't know what that's all about. Anyway, I was very happy with that result - although I thought it was faster than Desert High, but it wasn't, by over 20 minutes. That's okay, though. This course was much, much tougher than Desert High. We did a 20k loop then a 10k loop, and some of the climbs in the 10k loop were totally and completely sadistic. One guy who sloggingly passed me at one point on a climb (but I ended up beating him), said, "Yeah, French Trail is notorious." You got that right! My saving grace was that I was able to really fly down the hills - when possible, and passed a number of people at the end. It was hot, and I blew it on the salt and nutrition intake. It was longer between the first and second aid stations, and I should've grabbed more food. I also should've taken more than just 2 S-caps, but live and learn. I would really like to try the 50k on this trail. We'll see. Well, I blew into town this a.m. after driving almost 4 hours from my brother's house, so I need to get with it here at work. Am leaving Wednesday early, early to fly to Long Beach for a conference. After all this, I think I'll need a nap. Later! MTA: I just looked at the PTCR site for the results and I'm a bit peeved. I know specifically that I came across that finish line in 4:15:04. I zoned in on that sucker so I'd know my time. Not only do they have a different time, but the two women listed right before me I passed on the last downhill and stayed in front of them for quite a distance until the end. Grrrrr!

Leslie
      Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
      -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Woohoo.....way to go Leslie! Your time was fabulous, makes me tired just thinking about all those hills. Congrats to you and I look forward to a RR when you get one done. Maybe they'll straighten out the time and put them other two gals behind you. You did great regardless.......and WE know you passed 'em up Wink and they do too! Jewels
        But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

jfa

WTG Leslie! That sounds very tough and like Jewels said, you know how well you did ! When you catch your breath and get a chance, give us a link. I would like to see that course. Here in the land of flatness, I'm intrigued by the hilly courses. Smile

Leslie
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

jfa

Holy Cow Leslie, that is really beautiful, and really tough ! I think that I'm going to have to try something like that. Someday,somehow...... MTA- is that right outside of the City of Oakland?

Yes, it's between Berkeley and Oakland. I stayed in Berkeley, and it was about a 30 min drive to the park. If you're real interested in trail running, come out and do SOB (Siskiyou Out Back). It starts at 6100' and climbs to 7000'. Big grin I'm going back for revenge in July as I was pulled at Mile 22 last year (didn't make the cut off). My head's on better re nutrition and hydration, but the elevation will be a big issue. We'll see . . . . FYI - I had time to review this weekend's results a bit closer. The #1 and #2 finishers of the 50k (31.02 miles) completed the course in 4:20:29 and 4:27:14 respectively. Shocked Those are 8:31/mm and 8:44/mm. ShockedShocked

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Nice slow 6er this evening. Where did it go, george....which way did it go? Summer that is.....a wonderfully cool 63F....spring time is back in OK. Leslie....A huge congrats to you! You trail runners are a tough breed. What a challenging course. I am so proud of you! Joe.....nice 13+ Hey Jewels.....don't make it bad, take a sad song and ...........oh never mind. Carol.....good running Jim....nice running to you too.....did you get signed up for Boulder Bolder. Hey Mtnchk na na na nana na na
                  Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Top 'O the World!

na na na naaaa, Hey Jude.... Hey Hey Ev! Wink hope you enjoyed your "day" of Spring! Evil grin 78* here today...>>>>enrt your way Tongue we're doing 85* tomorrow.... Very pretty trail there Leslie! I wanna come down in elevation & do one of those one a these days Big grin I'd invite you to do TransRockies, (we start @ 9600'!) but it's sold out now.....however, I do hear that there's still openings up @ Leadville Shocked anyways...Congratulations! Appears that it's coming together a bit better for you this year....must be all those donuts that very diligent training! & sometimes it takes the race officials a few days to sort out all the results....if not, given em he11! Hey Joe....if you're gonna go run with Leslie, you'd have to maybe make a few other "run-stops" to get there....bet Ev, R2, Carol, me, & Arla....just to name, a few, could come up with some interesting choices Wink I sent Doug out for his run about the neighborhood....puir thang, played 18 in this heat all afta noon an now ahm makin 'im run apiece! Big grin Nope, I didn't go with him (duh! I'm here on this here puter) Me & Raid did 10 this am... Wink she called several "shade & potty stops"....guess it's that time of year that I need to start getting up earlier in the am to take her. & or use the coolie vest.
                    Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

jfa

you'd have to maybe make a few other "run-stops" to get there....
                      Hey Jude, don't be afraid....... Hey Cindy that sounds like a fun idea. Maybe I throw the Mrs and Buddy in the Winnebago and take a little trip cross country! In the summer of course! Hafta hook on down to Fla too on the way back ! Very easy 5er with Bboy last night. Absolutely lovely weather this week for us.Clear and low 60's during the day,50 at night! Sweeet! Smile

flatland mountaineer

congrats Leslie, looking forward to the report, hopefully the race directer will get it sorted out for ya. no runs since LR Sun, tommorow is my tempo day. We entered Bolder Boulder. Don't know if I will taper for it. Planted on sandy no-till dryland in last year's wheat stubble. The air and the straw have to be dry to get thru so noonish start and by just after 7p I started plugging up and had to quit. Fog and drizzle this morn going to change fields and give it a go shortly. Bottom line we don't get our work done racing at BB is the least of my worries but we are still ok for now. ug 98.5% humidity this morn, maybe we'll have to wait a little longer.........

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Top 'O the World!

You were made to go out and get her. Of course you'd also have to head North a bit too... Wink glad you're getting some great running temps out there! "recovery 3 around the neighborhood w/Mairead this am....I'm still not sure how I should be logging these.....I would have to leave the neighborhood to find anything relatively flat...there's really no way NOT to do a hill...just how hard do I power up !?....Garmin says my little loop this am was a "Total Ascent: 493'; Total Descent: 496' " (I have no idea where the other 3 feet went? the #'s are never equal... Confused) Well, guess that's not my biggest dilemma....latest Microsoft update (at least I think that must be what did it Angry) is causing indigestion in a number of annoying applications!! Can't open attachments on my email, does not like "add ons", have had to reinstall a few drivers.... Dead I HATE COMPUTERS! and somehow half of my hard drive is busy ? Confused at least this annoying crap didn't happen days before the main push of tax season - THAT"s happened before! Roll eyes Jim: Doug & I are hoping you can make to BB.... Wink
                          Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
                            Hey Leslie, you are Awesome She Woman of the Trails! I love how you look at each race as an opportunity to learn more. Your time is great regardless of result glitches, but I'm betting the race director could help put that right too. Ev, OK why did you have to put "Hey Jude" in my mind??...it's one of those songs that get's stuck playing over and over up there... Joe, Buddy and Mrs. Joe on a road trip....I'm likin' the sound of that. We're real close to DFW too if you decide to go that way. Cindy...Leadville, huh? You trying to kill our friend Leslie? Actually, my old boss who lives in Broomfield did that one at least a couple of times. Crazy mountain peeps! Jewels, how's the running going for you? Jim, our humidity is about the same here....ick! Speaking of humidity, I think the drizzle yesterday contributed to a little spill for me. Was exiting a short trail section in the park, and as I stepped up onto the concrete path, I slipped and went down. Fortunately I wasn't moving that fast, so just scraped my knee. As dear hubby reminded me "speed kills". My insulin pump thwacked the ground pretty hard, but it took a lickin' and kept on tickin'. Managed to hang on to Katy, who would have ditched me for sure to chase squirrels or eat terriers.
                            Progress Trumps Pefection
                              Speaking of humidity, I think the drizzle yesterday contributed to a little spill for me. Was exiting a short trail section in the park, and as I stepped up onto the concrete path, I slipped and went down. Fortunately I wasn't moving that fast, so just scraped my knee. As dear hubby reminded me "speed kills". My insulin pump thwacked the ground pretty hard, but it took a lickin' and kept on tickin'. Managed to hang on to Katy, who would have ditched me for sure to chase squirrels or eat terriers.
                              Big grin Glad you, the pump, and Katy are all okay. Cindy - Leadville??? Can you hear me cackling? Yeah, that'll never happen, sweetheart. Smile Jim - 98.5% humidity?? Yuck! Thanks, everyone, for your congrats. No run this a.m., but did work on transcription. I can hardly hear the guy they're questioning. You'd think they'd try to position to stupid tape recorder closer since it's so freaking important. Angry Leave tomorrow at 6:00 a.m. with 3 others to fly to Long Beach. Unfortunately, that early of a flight means getting up around 3:00 so we can pick up people and get to the airport in time. Ugh! The bright side is it's only about a 2.5 hr flight, so we'll be in Long Beach by 8:30 or so and not really anything to do until Thursday a.m. Running will be catch as catch can throughout the rest of the week and weekend. Okay - Gotta go get "stuff" done. Will check in later.

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Wow, Leslie - just wow! That course looks killer, I peeked at the elevation profile - that second big climb starting around the 20K mark has GOT to get your attention! Surprised Didn't get much running in last week, but figured no big deal after the last few months. This week looks to be a good week to start acclimating to the warmer stuff. Signed up to run a HM in Lodi this Sunday just 'cause it's close and because they serve wine at the finish. Evil grin Arla

Ex runner