Masters Running

Sunday March 21st Daily (Read 466 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning everyone! -----I just got back from a 10 mile easy run at 9:45 easy pace to make a 30 plus mile weekend....I love those. LOL, problem yesterday was I had a 18 to 20 mile run planned, but at 16 miles I ran into a detour and had to run waaaaay out of my way to get back on course. When I stopped at the detour I turned my Garmin off and told myself.....don't forget to turn you Garmin back on. Like a idiot I didn't turn my Garmin back on so I really don't know for sure exactly how far my run was yesterday, but mapping in out on "map my fitness.com" it ended up being near 22 to 23 miles, and the ave pace ended up being around 9:15. What was great is I didn't bring anything to drink or eat with me, and I felt really good from start to finish....and the added miles were a nice bonus prepping for a 50K race coming up with Holly (I got the registration form you mailed me Holly , and it's mailed in, K). ------Hope everyone is having a Great Day - TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Just a quick note to check in here.

We are having absolutely the most gorgeous spring weekend ever here in the mid-Atlantic.  Just perfect for our weekend get-away to DC to run the National Half-marathon.  This is the first Saturday I haven't worked since almost the beginning of the year, so it has been a real treat.

Official time yesterday was 1:54:45  - just one second(!) off my PR set last year on this course.  Doh!  I raced pretty hard and I don't think I could have done much better.  But I probably could have pulled off one stinking second had I known how close it was.  No matter - I did hit 70.38% age grade.  I've been trying to beat 70% for some time, so I'm pleased with that.

This is a great course and a generally well-organized race.  I think we'll be back next year.  It was fun to meet up with Kimmie and a few other RA folks afterwards for lunch. 

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Glad to hear Slo-hand's DD is doing better.

4.6 miles this morning - a beautiful Spring day in Boston. 9:08 pace which is the best and fastest pace I've been able to run in a while. And it felt comfortable. And no pain. I'm feeling much better after yesterday's 11 and today's run. Think I'm over the hump.

good morning friends.........ran a local 5k race - fundraiser for the Flying Henrys in memory of Meghan McCarthy the 17yr who lost her battle with cancer this past January ...........was a nice turnout and a well run 1st race for them !!

hope everyone is enjoying their sundays!!   i'm going to try and squeeze in an hour nap before going to a b-day party for my niece and nephew and then working all night!

denise

Nice long run Timbo,  better to count minutes than miles on the long runs anyway.

PDR nice way to spend a beautiful day & excellent age grade performance

6.2 mile group run w/DW & several others

Enjoy this wonderful day!!!

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

PDR oh so close to your PR!  Well, congratulations on your race.  Just think if you are doing this well this early in the racing season how well you will do later on.  A new PR is not doubt in your future!

deez4boyz I hope they raised a lot of money.  We have a memorial race around here and I always thought it was a wonderful tribute.

Kimmie there are strict rules around here about posting race reports.  Well there were while the enforcer (a.k.a. spareribs) posted regularly in the daily!  Now just post where you like in the daily or a separate thread.  My personal policy is (was?) that I only create a new thread for a "major" race.

DW went off for 5 miles today!  Things keep looking good for her to make it to her first HM.  Great day here so far weather wise.   Alas, it all comes to a stormy end tonight.    Well it is not summer yet.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Kimmie - here's the deal, it if is only going to be one paragraph, use the daily.  Otherwise a separate thread is nice.  You will get extra points for including photos, double points for photos of RA posters we've never seen in person.  Colourful language is also encouraged (at least by me!)  Some people list their race goals at the top of the report with such language as B goal, A goal and smoking dope goal.  I won't tell you who said that one because you wouldn't believe me anyway.  Have fun with it.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Kimmie.....about the race report......points will be deducted if you do not include a fashion report.
                  Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Nice HM PDR! 

Kimmie, make sure your Race Reports are nice and concise like all mine are.

3 very slow recovery miles this morning. A little achy and sore from yesterday's LR as expected. Felt better afterwards.

My solos went Great today. I just love harmonizing to the Choir and the song I did ("It's My Desire") fits perfectly with my voice and style. I only bailed on one high note during the last singing as I could feel the voice was near shot.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

dg.

A quick note from me too. 

so far so good from all the racers... yes?  PDR way to go on the age grade!   too bad about the one stinking second!

10.3 miles this morning at a 9:37 pace.   and that is it for now!

Marathon Maniac #957

Kimmie – in your race report, don’t forget to include at least one excuse for why you could have done better “if only.” 

Tim – I have to check the rule manual, but I believe that there are serious fines imposed on anyone who says they ran 22-23 miles, and “felt great from start to finish.”  Nice running, btw.

PDR – excellent racing!

Denise – if you were up for an early 5K and you have to work all night tonight, I certainly hope you get your nap, and a long one at that.

EGH3 – good news about your run yesterday and today. 

Erika - my DH says, for that very reason, T-joints are not allowed here in Montgomery County.

Breger - I sure wish I could have heard it.

Dg - good luck with your surgery tomorrow!  I'll be thinking of you and sending {{{healing vibes}}} your way.

Taking an idea from Leslie, I decided to do a MLR today after yesterday’s LR, just on a smaller scale.

12.15 miles total this morning in 39° – 10 easy paced miles (ave 10:22), followed by 3 hill repeats up the long hill on the next block.  Considering yesterday’s MP LR, my legs felt surprisingly good.

I realized this morning that I had forgotten to do my push-ups yesterday.  (sigh)  Oh well, they were starting to get tiresome.  I think I'll just stick with doing 40-50/day, in 2 sets.  Easier to keep up with.  My new goal is, from now until Boston, to do a couple of 30-second wall-sits every day.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

My personal policy is (was?) that I only create a new thread for a "major" race.

Kimmie, that's kind of my approach too...but then I let loose with l-o-n-g RRs.

But really, it's up to you.  Don't be shy, though!  We all can learn from each other's experiences.  And I like keep a copy of my own RR's for future reference....lessons learned kind of thing.  Also, unlike Holly, I try to work in a minimum of three excuses.

PDR--nice race! (Sorry I didn't get to see you. 

Tim--22 miles with no water?

Be safe. Be kind.

Renee the dog

PDR --OH, that is heartbreaking!

My day?  Eh, triple disaster!  I knew it wasn't going to be good walking to the start, but the combinaton of sour stomach, mucus on my lungs, and southern regions getting iffy sure made for crazy racing on the Shamrock race course today!  (And let's not forget being undertrained...etc). 

4:26:21 today.  Long, musing race report to follow. I had a wonderful time!  This is a fabulous race -- wish I could have matched my Rehoboth performace here -- it's another great course...

Now, to recover and attempt the OD next weekend. OH yes, I"m doing it!!!!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Slo

Hey all

Hope everyone is enjoying they're Sunday !

I started the day with a local 4 mile race. We had snow yesterday. I ran the course last night to test the winds....I knew they were going to be an issue today.

My goal was an AG finish...no time goal due to the wind. It's a two lap course with Miles 1 and 3 dead into the wind. Mile one went well.....we were still close enough to draft.....mile 3 sucked. I was all by myself. I was caught by 2 people who drafted off me. I slowed down to see if one would take the lead but niether did. At the turn around with 1 mile to go I was able to drop one guy but the other guy gapped me and I just couldn't close it back up.

Finished 16th over all. 3rd in 40-45 AG with a time of 27:41. Ate chili and drank some beer. Blew off my long run and now I'm simmering a big pot of Wisconsin Cheese Broccoli and Ham soup.

Kimmi.....Looking forward to your report !

Oh Yea.......How about those Panters !! (UNI) Who'd a thought ? Sorry Kansas fans.

Oh, yeah -- I ran a half yesterday, too.  The time was a little disappointing, but not unexpected given lack of miles and lack of speed work.  1:47:30, which is about 10 minutes off my PR which was last year at the same race.  Good news is I seem fairly healthy now.  While there is some minor soreness in the adductor area, I'm not too worried about it.

This was after 5 fun, relatively fast miles in DC this morning.  What a beautiful morning it was.  I took some pictures while I was on my route:

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com