Masters Running

Thursday, 12.10.15 (Read 34 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

"No time, no time, I got, got, got no time..."

I'm off to this morning's meeting, but not before having gotten in about 6.5 RW miles in shorts in absurdly mild 43F temps, and under cloud-laden skies with a serious wind blowing off the water from the SE. Decent workout.

Gotta go. have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Mornin' to you, too Jay.

Shorts in December is an unexpected bonus.  3.8 miles around the lake in 45° (I'm further south than Jay   )  Decent pace, considering i managed to take off since Sunday, due to several factors--lack of motivation being foremost .  I think I'm going to sign up for a half in early march to get and keep me going.

Been a while, but can't remember when I was here last, but i don't think I mentioned that last week I ended up with one 3.8 mile run at 8:55 pace.  This was exciting as even a mile that shows 8's is a very rare occasion.

best to all.  I'm off to a staff meeting.  Wee.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

...mornin' guys//.............yeah, we're supposed to hit 70's here by the weekend

and

then plunge into the 30s at night next week................some very Strange Weather

==================

..........40-min PoolRun, nb, cf, rsi

taking Pickles to the eye doc tomorrow, so saving the NordicTrak til then

...................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Slo

Not just shorts in December but I broke a sweat too!

Crazy

I'm not complaining though.

A little over 4 miles run at a decent pace. Felt good and relaxed. I haven't been getting many of those lately so it was nice.

SteveP

Another 10 miles in a calm, mid 60's temps.

SteveP

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!

Well, I can see it's on, stumpy, for April.  I never run 8-anything in the morning.

Waving at Jay zooming by .......... and Slo!  gladdaseeya!

7+ for me this am, the fastest part of which was when my friend, a nurse, passed me in her car on her way to work (this happens about once a week or so) and I sped up to talk with her (it's a residential street with a 30 mph limit and wide bike lane, in which I was running).   One of her dogs died earlier this year and she just got a new poodle puppy .  She was telling me she forgot how much work goes into a puppy, which is why she had to cut back her running a bit lately.

In addition to it being Nobel Prize day and Human rights day, it is also.........Dewey Decimal System Day.   You may see the more geeky librarian-ish types using #DeweyDecimalSystemDay to post on social media.  So now you know.  And the more you know....

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Greetings to all ~

Those of you enjoying warmer temps (Florida, excluded), relish it now, 'cause it looks like you're gonna get hit soon.

5 miles this morning in between storm surges here.  There was lightening out over the ocean, but it wasn't close enough to worry about . . . I'm assuming . . ..  Thankfully, the wind wasn't too bad, and there was no rain.  It hit in the middle of the night and is coming again today.  Hang on to your skirts, girls!

Was supposed to run 1 mile at a solid hard effort and try to hit 9:00 - and I did!  Don't know how I managed that exactly, but sweet!  And the mile I chose was mostly an at incline to some degree.  Obviously not steep, but not flat either.

I rarely look at our local paper, even though we get it here at work every day.  Yesterday morning, a friend of Shorty's who we haven't talked to in a long time was on my mind all morning.  Late yesterday morning, I got up to stretch my legs and went downstairs, perused through the paper, and there was an obituary for him.  Absolutely floored me.  59 years old, died in his sleep, so I can only assume he had a heart attack.  We're going to his funeral tomorrow, but it's going to be hard because a lot of people who will be there are people who haven't had anything to do with us since everything happened 4 years ago and, quite frankly, probably would be happiest not ever seeing either one of us again.

I know Louie's death hit Shorty hard.  When I got home last night, he met me out by the car and made me close my eyes until I got in the house.  He had spent the day putting up Christmas decorations.  And instead of a tree, he put lights on all our house plants (I have a lot).  It looks really nice. We had a good crying jag together just kind of over everything - my dad's death, Louie's death, his mom's death last year, where we are in life now compared to 4 years ago.  It was a good release.

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Mariposai

Howdie from snowland, folks. We are getting some gorgeous, fluffy snow right now. I wish I delayed my run a little bit since it was raining when I ran at 6am. 6 soaked miles. The legs felt pretty good. I am trying to bump up the miles a bit this week, we will see how it goes with the kiddos graduation and all.

Amy, your posts always make me smile.

Nice sproinky miles there for you Slo.

SteveP, look at you, 10 miles before work. Lucky dog! I miss those days when I could do that. My current schedule does not allow me the luxury of time. Some day, some day!

Cheers you all. I hope Twocat is enjoying his summer Singapore weather.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Slo

Leslie,

It's weird how something like that happens. I had a similar experience when I found myself thinking about someone I hadn't seen in a long time.

59 is too young.

I rarely look at our local paper, even though we get it here at work every day.  Yesterday morning, a friend of Shorty's who we haven't talked to in a long time was on my mind all morning.  Late yesterday morning, I got up to stretch my legs and went downstairs, perused through the paper, and there was an obituary for him.  Absolutely floored me.  59 years old, died in his sleep, so I can only assume he had a heart attack.  We're going to his funeral tomorrow, but it's going to be hard because a lot of people who will be there are people who haven't had anything to do with us since everything happened 4 years ago and, quite frankly, probably would be happiest not ever seeing either one of us again.

I know Louie's death hit Shorty hard.  When I got home last night, he met me out by the car and made me close my eyes until I got in the house.  He had spent the day putting up Christmas decorations.  And instead of a tree, he put lights on all our house plants (I have a lot).  It looks really nice. We had a good crying jag together just kind of over everything - my dad's death, Louie's death, his mom's death last year, where we are in life now compared to 4 years ago.  It was a good release.

[[[[fatozzig]]]]]]

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Sayhey! MM#130

Aw, Leslie.  hugs to you both.   And good for you for going to the funeral.

Mari--Steve is lazin' around here in the crazy state (he fits right in) of Florida, eating all of Tag's ice cream.

NPR is making me crazy.  I listen at work but they're pledging, and it's not very clever pledging.  I have been spoiled by WAMC in Albany (western Mass) and Alan Chartock, who would threaten to "rip that show off the air" if we didn't pledge and also managed to charm Mario Cuomo into coming on and talking about his immigrant parents, his old dog, and other non-political topics in a most lovely and entertaining fashion.

My passport is good into 2019.  Any Michiganders I could interest in the Freep half or full in October?  I need support if I'm going back as I'm actually afraid I'll be sad.......so we need to party.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

A neat article about Humboldt County.  Come visit us!  It's a lovely place to live ~~

Leslie
                          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Aw, Leslie.  hugs to you both.   And good for you for going to the funeral.

+1

Kevin - speedy miles!

5 miles for me on the TM this morning.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

moebo

Leslie, Humboldt County looks fantastic! I am seriously tempted to plan my next vacation there!

I was sorry to learn about the death of your friend. In an unfortunate coincidence, I got an email today telling me that one of my neighbors in NH died suddenly after a fall. I have only known him a few years, but am very sad for his family.

Aamos, I listened to that Radiolab podcast; you were right when you said it raised a lot of questions. I definitely related to the couple's pregnancy struggles--my husband and I had issues and I got pregnant through IVF, then ended up in the hospital for about six weeks before my twins were born--but I am not sure how I feel about the heroic efforts to save such tiny premature babies. That said, life experience tells me that it's hard to know for sure what you think about a problem until you are confronted with it yourself.

Holly, glad to hear your son is doing so well in college!

And congratulations to your son on his upcoming graduation, Mariposai.

For anybody still looking for podcasts, this selection of 200+ podcasts looks worthwhile: http://earbud.fm/

I got out for not quite 5 miles this morning in 47 degrees. Gotta love it.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Good job in all regards, Leslie.

I only remember 9:00m/m runs as in dreamland  but too much of the latter when reading the hometown newspaper so rarely do it. Sure dread e-mails from high school classmates with someone's name in the subject line. .

As if i ever need an excuse not to but no running today even in spite of the clarion call of the continuing rains and winds that, instead of having fun buffeting me running around and flattening out brave cyclists out in the maelstrom, uprooted a small 45' cedar that was, fortunately, so close to the house it didn't have time to fall and ended up "leaning" onto the roof but with a horrific crashing of breaking branches and limbs. Fortunately, the only damage ended up being the crushed metal rain gutter in the way, . . . but it looks like it should have made the evening news.  Better luck tomorrow, . running, that is, . .  or maybe not.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)