Masters Running

40's+/50's+ On The Run - Celebrating our Nation's Independance(we 7/4) (Read 559 times)

Top 'O the World!

"An unhurried sense of time is in itself a form of wealth."  ~ Bonnie Friedman

(that's what I strive for when I'm running!

Good Morning!!!  another startilingly beautiful am here in CO    making a fast "pop-in" before running back up to my post w/the MS150 bike race to fight MS....

Went up to Fort Collins bright & early to set up shade canopies & supplies for me & 18 other therapists in order to do our best to support the 3800+ riders! ..work straight through till 9pm last night & heading back up in a few mins to do it again - although today is a shorter day for me....not for the riders!

Got two miles in around CSU campus post set-up & just before the 1st of the riders came in....3+ this am before heading out....

Hope everyone has a fabulous Independance Day celebration, BBQ's & such planned for this week!!  We're going camping w/the little girls for a coupla days in the Black Hills later this week!

Ciao!

Cindy 

Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Hey there Cindy, thanks for the start and the quote.  I LIKE that one Smile

Rest day for me except walking the dog a couple of miles and exchanging the swim goggles I bought yesterday.  Shopping is a form of cross training though, right? 

Progress Trumps Pefection

flatland mountaineer

Thanks for the start Cindy have a good one in Collins.

8.2 miles to town, My Garmin died at 7.79 as it got bumped off the cradle last nite. At mile one I didn't think I'd make it 2 miles let alone 8. Lynda and I were putting a tarp on our grain cart yesterday so up and down a ladder a gazillion times and drilling lots of holes kinda wore me out. I got a nice 13/32 wide brand from a hot drill bit on my right wrist and Lynda dropped a heavy metal end cap on her big toe but I digress. After a few more miles I wamed into it and did the last 1+ sub 9. Really didn't feel much like a long run by the end.  Anyway on a running week I finished with just a tad over 27 miles my biggest ever. Now just short easy runs the rest of the week with a few strides at race pace.

Carol going shopping is harder than any long run for me.

Have a good week folks!

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Cindy - Thanks for starting us.  And as usual, you are one busy gal!

Carol - Yes.  Shopping is x-training.

Jim - Nice week of running.  The Hub branded himself with a hot shishkabob thing a few years ago.  Has "shi" nicely burned onto his thumb and first two fingers.

Opted to get off the trails this a.m.  Tried to run a new one closer to my home that a lot of people trespass on (yes, trespass); however, a Deputy Sheriff decided to check things out just as we got to where you'd enter the property.  So we huffed it back up the road and went to the beach for the final 1.75 miles.  I thought I had a much faster pace than what is showing, but I guess I wasn't accounting for the first 1.44 miles, which had a some hill work, the couple of times we walked to drink while on the beach, and the times I slowed down so Karen could catch up with me.  I had the tune "Flowers on the Wall" by the Statler Bros. in my head, and I was cruising.  Felt good.

Now I need to go get some transcription done before I head to a going away party I don't want to go to.

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Captain Kangaroo was the best!

Jim....nice finish to your 8+miler...and congrats on a big week.

Hey mtn, and carol.

Fatozzig, how you feeling today?

12 easy paced miles for me this morning.  Nice and cool although pretty humid.  DW is cracking the yard work whip again....gotta go.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

jfa

Thanks Cindy! great quote and enjoy your adventure up there! Sounds like a summer of fun for you!

Fantastic mileage week for you Jim! You didn't say how Lynda's toe is ,hopefully it's not serious.Although it sounds like she could use some rest anyway ,what with how hard you two work.

Take your time with the swimming Carol, the better form will come .It's fantastic all- body exercise,and certainly a lot more doable than running when it's 110* outside!

Shopping is x-training.

No. Uh-uh. No it's NOT !! It's excruciatingly boring ! Come on Guys, you have to stand with me on this one.....

Sounds like a nice run for you too Leslie. How close is the beach for you?

Nice long run for you Ev- Glad to hear it's cooler too. Somehow I missed the Capt Kangaroo reference. He was ok, but in my book, the Little Rascals were better.

Interesting w/e for me. First, Friday night's run included the most hellacious lightning storm I have ever seen. I was by the ocean and took refuge under a roof of an ice cream shop for 45 mins while watching the lightning on the ocean. As soon as you saw it, you heard it. That's how close it was.Yesterday was quicky barefoot with Buddy then bigger Grad party for DS. This morning was clear and beautiful at 76* w little hummidity. Ran Buddy for 4m out to his fave swim spot, brought him home and did another 13m @9:50 by the beach. First dip in the ocean afterward felt real fine and my little rinkydink 15 ft pool in my backyard is finally open for business. Summer has officially arrived in the rain forest! Weeha! 

Paid my dues at the party, stayed for 3 hours, then skeedaddled outta there before I got totally sunburned.  Beautiful day today, but I forgot to put on sunscreen.

I'm completely missing what the deal is with Captain Kangaroo, but I loved watching him when I was a kid.  Him and Mr. Green Jeans.

Ev - How'd the yard work go with the DW's whip in hand?  Was it kind of exciting??    The legs were a bit tired when I first started running, but once after a mile or so, they loosened up quite nicely and feel better today than they did after my run yesterday.

Joe - We were running right on the beach.  If I did the right thing, you can see the map in my training log.  Re shopping - whether or not it's boring depends on what you're shopping for and who you're shopping with.  And it can be exhausting!

DID YOU HEAR THAT BILLY MAYS DIED??? (I'm yelling, can you tell?)  I think he yelled too much.

Leslie
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Somehow I missed the Capt Kangaroo reference.

In reference to Leslie's post about the tune "Flowers on the Wall" stuck in her head.

"Painting flowers on the wall,

That don't bother me at all,

Playing solitare till dawn,

With a deck of fifty-one.

Smoking cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo,

Now don't tell me I've nothin' to do."

Joe, the lightning run sounds awesome.  Maybe a little scary perhaps, but awesome none the less.

Leslie....you know, I did get a little excited.    But brother  sister let me tell you I'm tired.  It's back to work (the paying job) tomorrow.  Maybe I can get a little rest.

Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

In reference to Leslie's post about the tune "Flowers on the Wall" stuck in her head.

"Painting flowers on the wall,

That don't bother me at all,

Playing solitare till dawn,

With a deck of fifty-one.

Smoking cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo,

Now don't tell me I've nothin' to do."

Ah!    For 10 freaking miles I had that son stuck, and I could only remember the chorus!! (But I can hum the rest of it.  )

Leslie
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

I ALWAYS laughed when the ping-pong balls fell on his head. Sometimes I still have that easily-amused-kid thing going on, I still laugh at the dumbest stuff

Carol - "just" short 3 -4 milers? Gimme a break. I remember being blown away by people who did that.

Jim - you make tools/work "biting/dropping" sound so No Big Deal! Yikes!

Joe - I wanna be you. *sigh* - I was planning to be running over 50 mpw easily and consistently by now, instead of struggling to find time for 30. Remind me not to PLAN too much...

Spent all day and night unpacking mom, cooking and cleaning, etc. No run for me. Oh well, it's still 97F outside at 9:30 pm, not a bad time to miss a run.

On the bright side, I had a short run late last night in the (94) heat and the dark. In the local park, a latin band was playing loud enough for me to enjoy they sure did pump up my run a bit. A lot of sprinklers were on, I had a fine time looking for them and running through them - good for a smile and a giggle.

Arla

Ex runner

Arla, me too about the ping pong balls.  Laughing is good.......so is running through sprinklers.

I'm gonna have to agree with Joe on this one.......shopping is NOT x-training.   Ladies, you can call it what you want, but there is no xtraining benefit (or benefit of any kind) in the whole shopping experience.  DW says, "You can run 26 miles but can't stand there for 5 minutes while I look at this worthless whatever the heck it is  can't live without item."   Evryday replies, "That would be a yes." 

And ladies that's the thing.  If I was actually going somewhere or even just walking around in circles.....I could handle that.  But the standing around and "which one should I get" and "hold my purse while I try this on" and blah blah blah blah blah......

If shopping is x-training, so is drinking beer while watching football on TV. 

Ok.....maybe I went a bit overboard.....continue on.....

Good Monday morning to all,

Ev, I just love your humor.

Leslie, way to go on your mileage this weekend!

Dang Arla, that is some hot weather, especially at night! Certainly a good time to skip a run.

Ouch to Jim and Lynda! Nice mileage this past week Jim. Congrats!

Carol, great consistency on your runs lately. Keep it up! Are you still doing WW?

Camping sounds nice Cindy. Not sure what we are doing yet.

Busy weekend for Joe........I get a little freaked out with lightning around here. Our storms are nothing to mess with.

Later folks......

Jewels

But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

Ev -   To be perfectly honest, I hate shopping with The Hub, especially clothes shopping.  It just doesn't feel . . . right.

Arla - Your night run sounded wonderful! I so want to do a night run in forest where we run.  Now I just have to convince The Hub nobody and nothing is going to kill us out there . . .

Jewels - Good to hear from you.

Rest day here, and tapering begins this week, which  means there's no strength training on the schedule.  Wha???  I may have to sneak in some upper and core work anyway.  Just don't tell Coach.

Dreamed last night that I was pregnant.  AAAAAAAAAAAACK!   Had to get up and down a shot of whiskey to stop the shaking and convulsions.

Have a great week, friends ~

Leslie
                            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Good lord Leslie, I'd have to down a couple of shots of something myself. Dreams are so weird.

Some good news for me.......had an interview last week at a small law firm and I got the call this morning that I got the job! It is only part-time for now but most likely will turn full-time in the next few months. So for now, I will continue working for my BIL in the mornings and then head over to my new job in the afternoons.

I'm so excited.......

Nice gym workout this afternoon, followed by a 2 mile run!

Jewels

But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

Some good news for me.......had an interview last week at a small law firm and I got the call this morning that I got the job! It is only part-time for now but most likely will turn full-time in the next few months.

I'm so excited.......

Jewels

Congratulations, Jewels!  This is a paralegal position??

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance