Masters Running

Race reports for 2017 Memorial Day Weekend (Read 27 times)

Mariposai

Happy racing to all!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

mrrun

Image may contain: 6 people, people smiling, people standing, sky, cloud, shorts, outdoor and nature

no fashion report necessary.  wonderful race in Portsmouth, NH with DD, GS, GD1 and Henrun.  We both got a second in AG.  Henrun was 6 or 7 minutes faster then 2 months ago and I ran with GD1 and kept her going.  DD ran fartleks as GS ran fast and then slowed down!  Henrun's DS and GD joined us to hang out after the race.

Marathon Maniac #957

Marj and family - well done, and great picture!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Hope everyone's having a good weekend!  We are here at McSolar's house in Tucson after my Tutu Mile race Friday night.  Tough conditions for sure but came in 4th male and 9th overall.

"I didn’t run a race until I was 41 and that was a marathon! Let that sink in for a minute." -me

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

I am home from Traverse City. Didn't have the race I wanted. I was 45 minutes slower than my ideal goal and half hour slower than my realistic goal. For a variety of reasons. It was warmer than I had hoped for and hubby hadn't trained properly due to health reasons and we agreed to finish together for my own peace of mind. He is a good 2-3 minutes per mile faster but agreed to run my pace but hit his own wall hard and needed to walk more than I would have preferred (we still likely wouldn't have got that "realistic" goal).Disappointed but glad it is over.  I think we finished with 5:42:56 I haven't anything else on my racing schedule this year so I just don't know where to go from here. My coach hinted that maybe I should continue with timed events. Maybe this is a hint that I stink at speed. I loved my three 24 hour events (57 miles, 64 miles and 100k completed there) but they are a whole different animal than marathons and even that mileage is lower than most participants in that timeline for a paved loop.

Anyway, Traverse City is beautiful I wish we could have stayed longer so we could sight see.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Tramps

Congrats to Marj & Henry and clan.  A handsome bunch. And Marj is wearing a great beer shirt!

Opie--hope you said "hi" to McSolar for all of us. Hope you enjoyed your race, too.

Lori--that sounds like a tough one. Give yourself some time to regroup and reflect before you make any decisions about where to go.  Hope you're both feeling well today.

As for me....I signed up for a 10K back when I hoped to be ramping up speed work again.  With my knee flare-up, that didn't happen so I was going in unprepared today.  My goal was to do no worse than my PW of 47:31 and I accomplished that...down to the second!  Yup. 47:31, exact same PW.  Warm and muggy this morning, so that didn't help things.  But, really, I was just under-trained and couldn't keep up a decent pace when the rolling hills part of the course came up (miles 4-5). The knee was achy but not too bad.  I'll ice it later today.  The best part of this race is you get socks--which I could use-- instead of a shirt--of which I have tons. For some reason, there was very low turnout today (Memorial Day?) so I managed to be 3rd in my AG, which was entirely due to the absence of the usual speedsters and a tiny field. 3/8 (50-59), 15/35 men, 19/71 OA.

Be safe. Be kind.

Marathon Maniac #957

BerthaSlayer - (I posted this in the daily but thought I should put it here, too) well done on your marathon, in spite of the heat and not being able to really run your own race.  And I think the comment from your coach was not called for.  5:42 is not a terrible time - there are loads of people who run slower marathons than that.  If I were you, given that you are trained up so well right now, I would be looking for another marathon to run in 4-6 weeks, if you can find one that won't be too hot.

Tramps - you sure have a speedy time for a PW - and way to hit your goal!  Congrats on the 3rd AG and new socks.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

mrrun

Tramps - if you're only hurting a little and warmth, it's not even close to a PW

Berthaslayer - same advice for you, heat slows you down and running a different race also changes what you did.  I ran with GD and goal was to keep her going and force her to be a little faster at times then she wanted.  It was a very hard 5K for me watching her the whole time (and it was only 33 minutes).  I think running with DH made it a difficult race for you because you weren't running your own race.  I second Holly's advice.

Opie - jealous of time in Tucson!

evanflein

Nice to see Opie! Pictures on Facebook are great!

Marj, very cool to run with family and keep your GD going!

Tramps, at least you're no worse than before and sounds like no worse for the wear of the race.

Berthaslayer, ditto what Holly and Marj said. And I ran Bayshore last year and it was hot and humid, certainly more humid than I'm used to. Find another marathon you can get into and try again.

Mike E

MM #5615

Great racing everybody!

TammyinGP

wonderful race reports from all the weekend racers!

Bertha - I ditto others here. take time to reflect and evaluate what YOU may want to go next. Maybe it wasn't the marathon you hoped for but I think it's admirable you ran/walked with your husband when he wasn't having the day he wanted either. Nothing wrong with a 5+, or even 6+, time. It's a respectable time given the distance, weather, etc. Be Proud. 

going to check out FB and karl's Tutu pics - - - 

Tammy