Masters Running

Stevie Ray's Sunmart 50 Miler (the dream where you are not prepared comes to life) (Read 236 times)

xor

I went to Sunmart thinking I was signed up for the 50k, but I was really signed up for the 50 miler. The existence of my report shows that I survived. Unless it was ghost written by, perhaps, chimpanzees. As always, reports for a mess o' other races can be found over there. Falling sucks.

Franc59

Half Fanatic #36

Robert. Did you say you're in town for the Bridle Trails 50K...?...last night Jon could not talk me out of it...!! I know for sure I'll bring a few lights!! In any case , signing up for 50K and ending up running 50M takes guts....well done!!! Francesca

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

10.5 hours for an inadvertent 50 MILES! - you're a natural ultraman and, wow, with seven face plants. I sme,.. see some poop in your future! <>BridleTrails)>>>

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

SR.....loved reading your RR, ALL of them. Great job even with all the falls. Black eye Here's to many more! Jewels
          But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
            Awesome Stevie! Loved the Marty Feldman eyes Shocked and Smokey and the Bandit. Gutsy, very gutsy.
            Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Queen of 3rd Place

Had me on the edge of my seat!! Arla

Ex runner

You made it sound easy, yet painful. I liked your assessment of mental states....so much of it is in our heads. That's a lot of tripping and falling, but none at night eh? Bridle trails??

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

xor

I have not decided on bridle trails yet... one of my best friends (the Bee) is doing it, so maybe. But it really, really is not my thing despite what Jon says above. Not sure exactly how to take this:
                  Great job even with all the falls. Here's to many more!
                  Smile I'm glad people like my reports.

Great report! Very gutsy to go ahead with the 50-miler. Smile You had me laughing out loud numerous times. I'm glad you came through more or less in one piece. This sounds like an excellent trail run to consider. I keep telling myself I need to plan a "destination run." Hmmmm. I can definitely identify with getting a song stuck in your head. Happens to me every single time. And being a country girl, I am very familiar with your song. Sung by Jerry Reed.

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

xor

Nope. I assure you it was sung by Robert Lopez. Over and over again. Smile

What a journey you had...I'm really impressed you went for it...That's a great time...Congrats!!!
                        Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                        evanflein

Oh this was great. I like to wait til I have a nice block of time to read your reports. This one didn't disappoint. I think I'd be pretty happy with 10:31... but now you have your goal ahead of you for next time! Watch those falls... maybe try picking up your durn feet next time? Wink
                          wildchild

Carolyn

You said at the end of your Seattle Marathon report that you'd signed up for the 50 miler but were thinking of switching to the 50K. So maybe you thought you'd switched and were surprised to find yourself still signed up for the 50 miles? Confused Anyway, sounds like a nice course through the trees, and relatively soft landings for all the falls! I love reading your reports - your writing is so easy to read and so entertaining!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

xor

I did write that, didn't I. Huh. I wrote that on Wednesday too, just a couple days before I picked up my sunmart stuff and freaked myself out by being in the wrong race. I should probably go re-edit one of those to be less confusing. I actually did know earlier in the week that I was probably in the longer race, but I was holding out hope that I was reading wrong and figured I'd switch either way. When I showed up, I was not wrong. Even though I kind of knew and had tried to mentally prepare myself by writing it in my Seattle report, it still felt like a yikes. I should have always been in the 50k. I still don't know how I messed it up to begin with. I could have switched. Unlike a few races, they are flexible and accommodating. But I didn't.

dg.

Stevie Ray, thanks. I love it. Well done, well told. and motivating!! Confused maybe it was the music... that might not have come out right. I meant... that it really was motivating. through the face plants and everything else, & I was wondering why. but it was the way you handled it. and the music.