Masters Running

Saturday's Daily, 9.9.17 (Read 30 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Friday’s workouts:
    RunnerKSA (2.3 morning streak-preserving miles)
    Tramps (20 uneventful miles with new clip pedals)
    Tomwhite (45 min Xbike + 40 min Poolrunning with letters + 35 min RC at the soccer fields)
    HopesMom (chorus rehearsal with good sounds and fun times)
    Catwhoorg (3 easy, race-prep miles)
    Pfriese (10K run, starting to build mileage)
    Holly (1,250 pool yards)

Twocat (1 hour on the elliptical)

Mike (8 miles at the XC meet)

Tammy (4.5 miles at XC practice & at home with the dogs)

Has anyone heard about/from Amy, and know how she is dealing with the potential impacts from Irma?

Thanks for the movie review, RunnerKSA.

Good work at PT, Tramps. I also had to look up Bosu. There is a woman around here who has an elliptical bike, and she moves right along.

That’s one sobering video, Tomwhite.

So glad you are still with us, Fatozzig!

Good lungs workouts, HopesMom.

Good luck today, Cat.

Good luck with building mileage, Pfriese.

Holly, let your boss or your office manager know that him ‘teasing’ you like that in a team meeting is inappropriate and demeaning. He should be worried! Meanwhile, have a great time at the OR Festival.

I'm glad that your weight has stabilized, Twocat, even with ice cream.

Congrats to the XC teams, Mike - victories all around! I hope you got some sleep last night.

Congrats on giving notice, Evanflein. Not at all surprised that they have nothing but good things to say about you.

Good news that the air quality was good enough (if not great) to let you and the team get outside for runs and practice.

No workout yet this morning. I'll be leaving in a little while to make a stop at the farmer's market on my way to this morning's racewalking training session. I'll probably get in at least a couple of easy miles there. I also have a 5-mile race late this afternoon, so I'll try to take it easy this morning.

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...mornin' jay................

..nice to see enke checking in,

and

Nice to see Good Things happening for her.........

===============

..........well,

Pickles is back from Ireland,

and

she brought me some Irish Flu...............which is something I wouldn't have gotten for meself

......40-min PoolRun with letters

.............Wishing you  Good Running, and Safety to those in Irma's Path.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

17 miles.  Goal was 3 hours and I was at 16.27 at 3 hours, so I finished it out.  2 caffeinated Huma gels did the trick during this run- plus wonderful weather.  I started with the running group but got left behind.  I miraculously wound up with someone to run with from 2 1/4 through 8 3/4, which helped.  I'm glad this is over.  I woke up at 2 am and couldn't get back to sleep.  Lots on my mind.  My beloved island of St. John is demolished and now Irma is bearing down on my sister's house in Ft. Myers, FL.    3 weeks until my marathon but the long stuff is over!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Dave59

Woke up tired and "blah" this morning. Went ahead and ran the Memorial Bell Tower 5k. Small event. Hilly course.

9:05, 9:02, 9:25, :40 which hopefully adds up to 28:13.

1 of 4 men 50-59

4 of 16 all men

8 of 39 overall

I'll be helping out at the Huntington Chili Fest today from 3 to 5. I'll be at the Coal Miners tent where the cooks are from my church. I plan on winning a new car in a raffle while I'm there.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Dave--doesn't this make two wins in two weeks?  Very cool.

I got my 15 miles in before practice and ran another 3.7 with team.  I need a nap!

Okay--gotta go.  See ya!

evanflein

Congrats on giving notice, Evanflein. Not at all surprised that they have nothing but good things to say about you.

Wait, what...? I did? I wonder what I'm planning on doing next! Hah, I think it's funny that Jay gets me and Enke mixed up. Really, we look nothing alike and she's taller than I am! Smile

All kidding aside, I think it's great that they think so much of you and want to keep you, but they probably should've shared those little details sooner. But, as you said, if there are career advancement opportunities with the other group, go for it. And nice to have a fall back plan.

Holly, I'd be incensed. Seriously, that's grievance stuff as far as I'm concerned. You bust your butt for that firm and for him to just "tease" about it is deplorable. It's bad enough that he's cheating you out of overtime because you really should NOT be salaried (that's a whole 'nother issue), but that was just awful. I agree, start looking. You can do much better with your skills and dedication. Grrrr.

Good job getting that last long run in, RunnerKSA, that does feel good doesn't it? Although I've found that after my last long run, I don't have a whole lot of interest in running these days. Hope that goes away!

Woohoo Dave! You racing machine, you! Big grin

So today is a nice enough day, will do some work in the garden to keep on cleaning that out and cleaning up the garage. I will get out for a run though, probably to DH's office since that's a nice 9 mile route. Our weather has been pretty good so far and I sure hope it continues for another week. Equinox is next Saturday.....

pfriese

I ran 6 miles this morning with the old Saturday morning group. There were only 2 of us this morning but we're trying to get it going again. This is 2 days in a row of running, still feeling good.

Paul

coastwalker what did you end up getting at the farmer's market?

enkephalin I always tell people looking for jobs, nobody loves you until someone else loves you first. Then everybody loves you. Glad you found some love!

spacityrunner that seems to be my DW's sentiment as well. Just eat enough ice cream. We did go out to Carvel last night.

RunnerKSA we know someone who is waiting on word to see if his condo in the Caribbean still exists. So much destruction. I hope the hotels and resorts recover quickly. Tourism is the local economy's life blood and they will need all the money they can bring in.

Dave59 helping at a chili fest sounds like so much fun! Did you get to try the winning batch? Was there a lot of variation in the chili types and how well they turned out?

Ran 19 today. You can see the run at https://www.relive.cc/view/g14136201197. One picture is at the turnaround on my run in at the beach and golf area in the town next door. The other is the final hill up to the road where my house is. I was not fast, but felt strong the whole way. Progress, as they say. After that a friend came over to help me roast and deseed Hatch chilies. These things are great. But they have a very short season. I ordered 10 pounds of the mild and 10 of the medium hot varieties from The Hatch Chili Store (yes, their real name). By accident they shipped me 25 pounds of the medium (plus my 10 of the mild). With more Hatch chilies than I have any idea what to do with, I figured I could trade some help for chilies. My friend came to the rescue. We roasted them and he took a bit over 5 pounds of them. I still have way more than I need!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Dave59

Dave--doesn't this make two wins in two weeks?  Very cool.

Actually it is 2 wins in 6 days, but no trophy this time, just a participation ribbon. Awards only went to the top 3 men and top 3 women.

It is kind of embarrassing collecting all these trophies and ribbons while running 9 minute miles. Well, only embarrassing to mention it in this forum with all of you fast runners. Most people I meet who know of the wins, like my wife, don't know that my times wouldn't mean anything in a lot of other areas.  Even up in Michigan I'd have to really cherry pick a race to place with 9:00 miles.

Marathon Maniac #957

Dave - great racing!

TomWhite - did you tell Pickles, "Irish STEW, not Irish FLU!"  I hope you both feel better quickly though...

Twocat - hey, careful there!  Nice run though.

Enke - Does FTE mean "fulltime?"  Anyway, good luck on the new job, and I would be interested in hearing about it.

Erika - I immediately sent him an email about the possibility of a year-end bonus, which he assured me is in the works.  Better be....I met with a client Friday who gave me a check (for the firm) for $12,500.  I texted my office manager and said, "Hey, looks like I have collected another check."  Of course, this check means that I have 21 days to work a miracle for these folks, on top of a boatload of other new cases. 

On a better note, we had a blast at the Renaissance Festival, although I didn't see Tammy's friend.  The place is huge, and we only managed to get in four shows out of the many that were happening on the 14 stages, and didn't quite make it around to see all of the sights, but I could see how you could come back year after year and fill your days differently.  The jousting was pretty exciting, and the Kamikazi Fireflies put on a great show as well.  Beautiful weather for it, too.

Only had time for 3.5 miles this morning before we left.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

catwhoorg

Labrat

5k PR and 2nd overall

7 or so total with warm up and cool down.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Nice racing again, Dave.  39 people is a tiny 5K--pretty sure I've never been in one that small.

Nice racing for you, too, Catwhoorg.  Can't beat PRs.

17 is a nice Saturday, KSA.  Nice to be set  for the marathon

Welcome back Enke.  Going fro wondering where your next job is coming from to having two firm offers.  Never seems to even out, does it?

I got my 3.1 lake loop in this morning.  Also one yesterday that I didn't get around to mentioning.  Todays flet about the same effort, but was almost 30 second/mile faster.  Don't know if I'm actually getting faster, or I just like getting up at 7:30 instead of 5:30 to run . Hit our town farmer's market this afternoon.  Realizing I haven't had many real tomatoes this summer and figured I'd better get some before it's too late.  also got a nice fresh loaf of sourdough bread and had tomato sandwiches for lunch.  Yum.  I may go have another for post dinner snack.

yesterday's run with Relive  https://www.relive.cc/view/g14124103317

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

evanflein

Cool, Stumpy, but your run stops short of the start, is that where the car was?

Holly, yeah, he'd better come through with that.

7.8 miles today at a pretty good clip (8:22 avg) on legs that still felt a little sore or tired or something. Was planning on 9.1, but DH was waiting for me in the truck at an intersection a little over a mile from the finish and said we were late for a meeting that got moved up. Rats. Oh well, quick shower and off we went. Beautiful day today, but spent most of it inside. Might do long'ish and hilly tomorrow, but DH is concerned I'm not recovering well enough these days to do that run 6 days out from Equinox. Part of me agrees, and part of me says geez, my weekly mileage goals are going down in flames! Oh well.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

after no rain since June 17, it tried a little but, though it only managed a couple of spattered drops here-and-there for about two minutes,  it did keep temps under 70o for the first since then, plus clearing the air of the last two weeks of smoke and haze. . .

holly - people have been fired for less.

2C - 19 miles!  Maybe I should get my tongue fixed

enke - sorry about all the cycling

but sounds like you have a good reason.

erika - if Equinox still has the long ascent to the roller coaster hills

along the top of Ester Dome and The Chute,

I recommend you start tapering last week.

dave - nice running.

enjoy your 9m/m days

and as many AG's as you can

stumps - no small events around Seattle but I once got 8th place our town's annual marathon a little southeast of erika-land in 1978, . . . when two of the ten runners starting out at the glacier where it started in those days dropped out.

\

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Dave59

Dave59 helping at a chili fest sounds like so much fun! Did you get to try the winning batch? Was there a lot of variation in the chili types and how well they turned out?

I don't think I tasted any of the winners or finalists. I got to the Chili Fest an hour before my shift but it was so crowded I could barely move or see anything. I tried 3 different places and thought they were all pretty good. I stuck around for the awards at the end (since my shift was at the end of the day.)  I found out that this event was the WV finals and winners go to Las Vegas for the national championships. There were 3 categories - Salsa, Chili Verde, and Traditional Red Chili.

There is a very cool glass factory near here, Blenko Glass. You can go during the week and watch people work. All the trophies were made by them. Nicest looking awards I've ever seen.

I did not win the car after all. Very disappointing because I told everyone that I was going to win. How do I show my face anywhere now?

35,000 sample chili cups were sold during the day (at $1 a cup) and $75,000 was raised for the Ronald McDonald House. Both are records. I believe this was the 11th year for this particular event. Our tent and I assume many others have sponsors that pay for all the stuff to cook the chili. They made 200 gallons at my tent.  They cooked all day Thursday & Friday.